Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Gearface posted:

My theory on Magerold is that he's Mr. Jester Thomas. You meet him right before the Iron Keep in the fight against Mytha, and then you see him again in Shulva, which is one of the more dragon-y areas in the game. I think he just goes around looking for dragon stuff in funny clothes and the Dragon Shrine was next on his list.

It's also possible that I just want every character to be Jester Thomas because Jester Thomas is the best.

Jester Thomas was Lenigrast all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

Jester Thomas was Lenigrast all along.

Lemme just update my pegboard covered in strings here ...

Also under suspicion: Pate, who I've never seen in the same place as Maughlin the armorer; Aslatiel of Mirrah, who is probably ALSO Lenigrast; and the Giant Blacksmith from Dark Souls 1, who's obviously Food Network's Bobby Flay standing on Elsa from Frozen's shoulders.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gearface posted:

Lemme just update my pegboard covered in strings here ...

Also under suspicion: Pate, who I've never seen in the same place as Maughlin the armorer; Aslatiel of Mirrah, who is probably ALSO Lenigrast; and the Giant Blacksmith from Dark Souls 1, who's obviously Food Network's Bobby Flay standing on Elsa from Frozen's shoulders.

Beat Bobby Flay: Blacksmith Edition was when that show officially jumped the shark IMO

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I think the Iron Keep Bridge brings back fond memories of the Upper Undead Burg's bridge for a pvp dueling hotspot.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Well, that and you're having a sword fight on a bridge over molten lava. I mean, come on. That's badass.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there really no way to get Hidden Weapon except bellbroing? I just got the 100% hex achievement and this character is poised to get 100% sorceries as well but ugggghhh grinding invasions at this SM

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Chard posted:

Is there really no way to get Hidden Weapon except bellbroing? I just got the 100% hex achievement and this character is poised to get 100% sorceries as well but ugggghhh grinding invasions at this SM

You absolutely have to Bellbro to get Hidden Weapon, though you can always just farm the Mad Warrior for an easier time of it. You also have to be a Sunbro for a while to get their miracle, because Sunlight Spear can't be bought from Chancellor Wellager. But fortunately, there are also some enemies that drop Sunlight Medals.

Dark Souls 1&2 are pretty good about making sure there are alternate sources of covenant currencies.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

You absolutely have to Bellbro to get Hidden Weapon, though you can always just farm the Mad Warrior for an easier time of it. You also have to be a Sunbro for a while to get their miracle, because Sunlight Spear can't be bought from Chancellor Wellager. But fortunately, there are also some enemies that drop Sunlight Medals.

Dark Souls 1&2 are pretty good about making sure there are alternate sources of covenant currencies.

Bleh. Fortunately I have a different character all sunbro-ed up already so I can get the miracle achievement with them. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the next week while I watch stuff on Netflix.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I ran out of time in a quite frankly profound way to make a banner for this episode but here it is: Ancient Memories.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
My personal favorite explanation for why Benhart is in Orro's memory is that he was really there in the giant war way back when - and the reason he recognizes you is that you were there too and you're old as shiiiiit. Hollowing is a hell of an amnesiac.

Of course, that opens up a whole bunch of weird questions, but in general I prefer where those questions lead than the alternative.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot about that dead dragon in probably-Ash-Lake. drat sad, too. I think it's supposed to be the Everlasting Dragon that runs the dragon covenant from DS1. So... not exactly everlasting, then.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I dunno why, but I thought that was Benhart's dad in the memory. Or maybe his grandpappy.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Blacksuit posted:

I forgot about that dead dragon in probably-Ash-Lake. drat sad, too. I think it's supposed to be the Everlasting Dragon that runs the dragon covenant from DS1. So... not exactly everlasting, then.

All the ancient dragons were immortal in the Tolkein Elves sense. They never died of natural causes, and their thick armor made them nearly impervious to any kind of attack. In Dark Souls 1 this very dragon is the only attackable creature in the game that absolutely cannot be killed. However, the dragons were almost entirely killed off by creatures wielding the power of the Lords' Souls, with powers like those of gods

I really love these memory sections (I'd never seen them before), especially how only one of them is actually required, allowing you to conveniently skip some complicating factors like Drummond's whole dialogue. I really like the way the story is dancing around Vendrick really being the bad guy here, allowing you to find it if you're looking but never forcing you, sort of like Frampt and Gwyndolin in the first game

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Royal Sorcerer Navlaan

Curious about that guy loafing around in Aldia's Keep? Let's talk to him some more.

For somebody who seems to know so much, he's not very clever.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Navlaan: I need you to go kill the Emerald Herald and bring back her feather.
You: OK, wait a second... All right, she's dead now. Here's the feather.
Navlaan: Excellent.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Gearface posted:

My personal favorite explanation for why Benhart is in Orro's memory is that he was really there in the giant war way back when - and the reason he recognizes you is that you were there too and you're old as shiiiiit. Hollowing is a hell of an amnesiac.

Of course, that opens up a whole bunch of weird questions, but in general I prefer where those questions lead than the alternative.

I've always understood basically every other character in the Souls games to be other players, just like you, following the same set of rules and with the same goals. Lucatiel drops those signs because she wants to scout ahead cost-free or grind for souls, Navlaan invades when he wants to ruin someone's day and have some PvP action, and Benhart shows up in the memory because he's got the Ashen Mist Heart from the Ancient Dragon too.

Also, sidenote: the Rose shield is super depressing to me because it mentions that the flower it's based on is long extinct. Much like the dragons and Solaire and the magic of the first game, nothing good can survive in the Souls universe for long :smith:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HaitianDivorce posted:

I've always understood basically every other character in the Souls games to be other players, just like you, following the same set of rules and with the same goals. Lucatiel drops those signs because she wants to scout ahead cost-free or grind for souls, Navlaan invades when he wants to ruin someone's day and have some PvP action, and Benhart shows up in the memory because he's got the Ashen Mist Heart from the Ancient Dragon too.
The "multiple worlds" thing is really just a way of saying that many of the NPCs are more or less players going about their own quests, and your two worlds can intersect for a time. The only thing you can be sure of is that in the end, you complete the game and many of them don't.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I suppose it's possible that Benhart simply received the Ashen Mist Heart from the Ancient Dragon. Imagine that conversation.

"And so you peer, into the fog, in search of answers..."
"AH YES VERY NICE BUT HAVE YE SEEN ME SWORD? THEY SAY ITS MAGICAL"

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

"BEEN IN MY FAMILY FOR GENERATIONS! SEE HOW BLUE IT IS?"
"..."
AYE, IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO WIELD A BLUE SWORD!"
"..."
"OI, ARE YE EVEN LISTENIN'?"
"..."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You know, if the Ancient Dragon wanted to be a dick he could've pointed out that his sword, the thing he dedicated his life to was a fraud. I'm pretty sure he could prove it too. Then again I like to believe the Ancient Dragon didn't because of respect to Benhart, and that Benhart can trounce the Ancient Dragon every day of the year.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Speaking of the moderately mossy draggy, I've never beaten him. He just immolates me the second I walk in the door.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Annointed posted:

You know, if the Ancient Dragon wanted to be a dick he could've pointed out that his sword, the thing he dedicated his life to was a fraud. I'm pretty sure he could prove it too. Then again I like to believe the Ancient Dragon didn't because of respect to Benhart, and that Benhart can trounce the Ancient Dragon every day of the year.

Alternatively the, dragon did.

"WOT'S THAT? ARE YOU SAYING SOMETHING? I CAEN'T HEAR YA OVER THIS RINGING IN MY EARS!"
"SERIOUSLY, WOT ARE YOU SAYING? SOMETHING ABOUT MY SWORD? IT'S BEEN IN MAH FAMILY FOR GENERATIONS IT HAS!"
... *gives Ashen Mist Heart*
"OH, THAT'S A NICE GIFT...THING. WELL I'M OFF TO SEE IF I CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS RINGING IN MY EARS."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"I SEE YOU'VE TAKEN A LIKIN' TO THE SWORD. WELL, I APPLAUD YOU, FOR YOU'VE A SHARP EYE."
"..."
"BUT THIS IS ONE SWORD PAL THAT I WILL NAE BE GIVING UP."
"..."
"IF YOU STILL INSIST IN HAVING IT... THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY COLD HANDS! GAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!"
"..."
(Ancient Dragon received Bluemoon Greatsword)
"..."

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Scholar of the First Sin is in the Steam Sale for $25 right now for any who care.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

sleepy.eyes posted:

Scholar of the First Sin is in the Steam Sale for $25 right now for any who care.

Darn, my computer can't handle it.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Did you ever wonder what the smelter throne was for? Let's take a magical journey into the past.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Thank you for engaging Sir Alonne in an honorable swordsperson duel, and proving the superiority of your Hanzo Steel

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

JT Jag posted:

"I SEE YOU'VE TAKEN A LIKIN' TO THE SWORD. WELL, I APPLAUD YOU, FOR YOU'VE A SHARP EYE."
"..."
"BUT THIS IS ONE SWORD PAL THAT I WILL NAE BE GIVING UP."
"..."
"IF YOU STILL INSIST IN HAVING IT... THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY COLD HANDS! GAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!"
"..."
(Ancient Dragon received Bluemoon Greatsword)
"..."

He gave you the cheap knockoff, he has the authentic fake moonlight greatsword (which has way better stats, if only you knew).

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
GOD that fight is good. Man.

I find Sir Alonne much, much easier than the Fume Knight because his sword does 100% physical damage, so you can safely learn his pattern behind a big hunk of metal, and THEN engage in the honorable duel he clearly wants and deserves. A really cool little feature of this fight that I think gives Alonne a lot of character is a tiny bow he does at the very beginning, right as he stands up - it does a good job making the fight seem really ritualized, and you'll probably only notice it because you spend a lot of time walking into his room after you got your rear end kicked.

Also of note: if you kill him under certain conditions - I believe no damage and under five minutes, but the latter might be wrong - he actually has a different death animation!

All told, that there's an Artorias or an Ornstein & Smough caliber fight - one of the best in the whole series and emblematic of how good the game's combat can be when it's firing on all cylinders.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
One thing Dazz forgot to mention is that you can trade Nadalia's full soul to Straus for the pyromancy Outcry. It's very good, a much better reward for collecting her full soul than the chime. Additionally, as a minor note: those boxes in the door near the life ring hide some titanite; chunks, if I remember correctly.

As for Sir Alonne: that fight is absolutely incredible, definitely one of the best in the series. It's a real shame about the runback, though. That definitely puts a real damper on the fight.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

As the original request maker, I would like to say thank you, Dazz:

Vicas posted:

Thank you for engaging Sir Alonne in an honorable swordsperson duel, and proving the superiority of your Hanzo Steel

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

One unique thing about the Espada Ropera is that its strong attack is a parry. So if you wanted you can parry with your right hand.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wiseblood posted:

One unique thing about the Espada Ropera is that its strong attack is a parry. So if you wanted you can parry with your right hand.

That's part of the standard rapier moveset, and it's really annoying

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Those balconies in the end looked more like a jail.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

King of Solomon posted:

That's part of the standard rapier moveset, and it's really annoying

It'd be useful if parrying with the rapier / Espada Ropera didn't drain so much durability. You can't parry a lot with it because of that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That area at the end there is a group of prisoner cells Dazz.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I never did actually defeat Sir Alonne. Fought him ...three times, I think, and I got sick of the timed runback, so I just gave up on it.

Shame they put one of the more interesting fights behind a situational thing like the Ashen Mist. Really makes it a chore to actually face him.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

I never did actually defeat Sir Alonne. Fought him ...three times, I think, and I got sick of the timed runback, so I just gave up on it.

Shame they put one of the more interesting fights behind a situational thing like the Ashen Mist. Really makes it a chore to actually face him.

Same here. The DLC gauntlets are all trash, but at least this one has a nifty boss at the end of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fume Knight is the hardest boss in Dark Souls 2, but Sir Alonne is the best one. Between the two Brume Tower is the best DLC dungeon ever and you should play it right now you cheap gently caress what you don't want to give money to support good things I swear to god I will cut you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

With Alonne you can just circle around to the right (his left) and he'll only ever do close range attacks that are easy to dodge, some of which will miss even if you don't dodge.

• Locked thread