Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Rest easy, SWERY tweeted about it yesterday.

Well, yesterday in the timezone I live in.

#ThanksObama
Swery is a true gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
He also said "Haha, Just Kidding #Aprilfool #ThanksObama" so I, uh, wouldn't get your hopes up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

a spooky ghost posted:

He also said "Haha, Just Kidding #Aprilfool #ThanksObama" so I, uh, wouldn't get your hopes up.

...but what if the aprils fools is that it isn't an aprils fools? :tinfoil:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If that's York then who is David?

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
I need to see D4 York's smile.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Swery, that's so cruel :(

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kojiro posted:

Swery, that's so cruel :(

I never would have thought Swery could be so mean...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, at least there's a York model in there. So maybe we'll at least get a cameo?

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
FUN FACT: In Deadly Premoniton's early 2007 prototype "Rainy Woods", the original FBI agent whom York would eventually replace was a blonde fellow named "David Young Henning". You can even hear him saying the name in the trailer. Sounds pretty weird without a fake Boston accent though!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Automatic Jill posted:

FUN FACT: In Deadly Premoniton's early 2007 prototype "Rainy Woods", the original FBI agent whom York would eventually replace was a blonde fellow named "David Young Henning". You can even hear him saying the name in the trailer. Sounds pretty weird without a fake Boston accent though!

SGF mentions that in the first video :ssh:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
This LP has convinced me to buy this game immediately if it ever comes out on Steam! Til then, best I can do is to draw some fanart.

And in Tumblr post format

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Download

Little Peggy's Letters
09 - Apr.20th.2003
10 - Jan.7th.2010

Scrapbooks
20 - Movie Night: How Glass Plays a Vital Supporting Role in the Movies
21 - The Galapagos of the Far East, Japan

Kaysen's Reports
06 - One Era Ends, The Next Begins... The Arrival of "Real Blood"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Excellent wardrobe choices for going back in the hole.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
God, there better be a season 2.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So it seems like the timeline is going to end up fixed (or solid, to borrow SGF's term), just like The Terminator. And just like The Terminator, it's going to suffer from an information paradox.

The short version of Terminator's paradox is that Cyberdyne Systems creates Skynet based on the tech in the CPU and arm of the T-800 that was sent back in time. But that CPU and arm was built by Skynet, the thing that was built by the CPU and arm. (Oh, uh, Terminator spoilers, I guess?) So the question is, who invented the tech in the CPU and arm? And the answer is nobody; the information responsible for Skynet is never created, no one and nothing invents it, so how could it come into existence?

We seem to be having a similar issue with D4 (and this is spoilered in case anyone notices this before watching the video). If David Young and August Oldmann are the same, and they almost certainly are, then we have a scene where David asks himself if the past can be changed, which makes David try to change the past, which leads (apparently) to the realization that he can't change the past, which leads to a scene where David asks himself if the past can be changed. That scene, from David Young's point of view, is the inspiration for his ambition to save Peggy. But that scene only comes because David Oldmann tried to change the past and failed. Like the T-800's tech, the thing that created the dives was created by the dives, so who came up with diving? Who created the original idea of changing the past? And the answer is nobody, that idea was never invented.

I'm just glad my crazy post about Oldmann using Peggy's blood to invent Real Blood made it into the video.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Even this game shits on Windows phones. :allears:

Where's the "give it up, baldy" line?

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 12, 2015

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
I don't think anyone has mentioned this in thread, yet.
I doubt August Oldmann is the future version of the David Young IN THIS TIME-LINE, for the sole reason being that August Oldmann does not have the scar where David Young does. I looked at that forehead pretty hard, and there are no signs August Oldmann was ever shot in the face. So, August Oldmann is not the same David Young who was shot in the head.
Possibilities I Thought Up: (1) August Oldmann is David Young from another time-line, but somehow caused David Young to get shot in the head in this new time-line. (2) August Oldmann, is the same David Young as in this time-line, but did something to cover up his scar after all those years or was shot on the other side of the head and is covered by hair.
If (1) is true, then August Oldmann is probably trying to create a time-line where Little Peggy lives through her blood disease, murder (suicide?), or whatever it is that could kill her. If (2) is true, *shrugs*.

As for what August Oldmann wants Kaysen for, I have no idea. (Probably his cooking.) Also, I don't what it could be that Kaysen wants that August Oldmann would agree to arrange for him. (Probably food.)

Also, I made an enormous speculation post on YouTube, (but I think user, a cartoon duck, pretty much had already come up with the same final idea for August Oldmann that I did.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVVKFD_vAI0

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maybe August, if he is actually David, is no longer trying to save Peggy, but maintain the past?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

CirclMastr posted:

The short version of Terminator's paradox is that Cyberdyne Systems creates Skynet based on the tech in the CPU and arm of the T-800 that was sent back in time. But that CPU and arm was built by Skynet, the thing that was built by the CPU and arm. (Oh, uh, Terminator spoilers, I guess?) So the question is, who invented the tech in the CPU and arm? And the answer is nobody; the information responsible for Skynet is never created, no one and nothing invents it, so how could it come into existence?

I thought Miles Dyson always built the Terminator or at least Cyberdyne. Finding the arm and chip accelerated the process.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Requesting a gif of Kaysen eating the rolled-up pancake. His eating gifs are horrifying :allears:

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Croccers posted:

Requesting a gif of Kaysen eating the rolled-up pancake. His eating gifs are horrifying :allears:

He rolls up and eats the fork. :stare: I also feel like not having a little smiley face in the berries at the end of the pancake tube was a missed opportunity.

It's very nearly there already.

Great LP sgf! The season one finale, especially the wrap up, was super excellent. I am hoping the PC release comes along soon, so I can experience D4 for myself and maybe throw some more money in SWERY's direction. it'll be a huge shame if seasons 2+ never come out. After all the theorizing at the end, there's definitely a lot more going on in the game that is apparent in a casual play through and it seems like the overall story could be pretty cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wish the sequences where David puts everything together were longer because they're amazing paired with the main theme.

I want more of the main theme.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Great LP as always, SGF. And your speculation is right on line with what I've been thinking based on the clues we have.

I really hope we get that Steam release -- even with you having shown off basically everything in the game, I'd still like to play it through myself, and also would pick it up to support the development of a second season.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I don't think the thing in the pancake was a fork. Looked like a segment of a chocolate bar.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The speculation section at the end was really interesting-- there's all sorts of things I never noticed! I can't believe that D was Deliveryman Quint all along!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rincewind posted:

The speculation section at the end was really interesting-- there's all sorts of things I never noticed! I can't believe that D was Deliveryman Quint all along!

I don't know, it ignores the most obvious suspect, the one that all the evidence indicates: Deputy Willie.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011
Holy hell, that scrapbook on Japan had me ROLLING. They couldn't have written that without knowing how hilarious it was.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I noted that Phillip's employee number started with D when we were first introduced to him. I guess that was hinting at him being a D. Not to mention him inhaling what appeared to be Real Blood. However, being at the end of the first season, I'm guessing he's probably not the D behind all this.

One thing that really struck me from one of Peggy's letters was that one of the things she really liked about David was how he always looked ahead and didn't dwell on the past. That's really what cemented the theme of his obsession with changing the past being unhealthy and likely to end badly. I get the idea that his quest to save her is actually selfish for the most part.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

a spooky ghost posted:

He rolls up and eats the fork. :stare: I also feel like not having a little smiley face in the berries at the end of the pancake tube was a missed opportunity.

It's very nearly there already.

It looks simultaneously fearful and resigned to its fate, which is appropriate under the circumstances.

Thank you SGF for another fine LP!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MaskedTai posted:

Holy hell, that scrapbook on Japan had me ROLLING. They couldn't have written that without knowing how hilarious it was.
Kill a whale and eat it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The pancake looks like Mr. Bill.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The speculation section didn't really touch on Peggy's pregnancy. David's always going on about losing his wife, but I don't remember people really bringing up how he lost the child, too. I'm still betting on the theory that Peggy's blood was used to make a "real blood" cure for her child.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008
Great LP as usual, SGF!

Now to pray for Season 2 and/or a PC port.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I was a little disappointed by the ending. You get right up to the boss, and then nope.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BenRGamer posted:

I was a little disappointed by the ending. You get right up to the boss, and then nope.

At first I thought it was a joke, with one hour left on the video. It wasn't.

But the speculation was awesome.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Also, thinking about it, the David/August connection casts Forrest in a more sympathetic light as well--he's helping David, after all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is it just me, or does Peggy's first dad look a lot like Forrest Kayson if he lost a lot of weight and was a decade older? They even have a mole in near the same place.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
If David ever figures out that he is August, David's going to have a lot of leverage over... uh... himself.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm also kinda disappointed that we were thwarted by not having a 'final boss'-style encounter. The sequence with Rabbit was so good that I had high hopes when our friend showed up. I can't imagine that the second season would open with a sequence of that type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
So production of new types of blood stalled in what, 2007?

What year did Deadly Premonition take place?

Also, what happened to baby young/

Great Lp supergreatfriend, I've had a blast with everything you've put out and it has giving me someone wonderful memories.

• Locked thread