Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Croccers posted:

Requesting a gif of Kaysen eating the rolled-up pancake. His eating gifs are horrifying :allears:

The thing that struck me was that, after all of the grotesque-ness we've seen, he cuts up and eats David's pancake in a perfectly normal fashion.

I guess there just wasn't a way to make eating a normal size pancake any more grotesque than what we've already seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
It looked like he was using real syrup at least. Even Kaysen isn't disgusting enough to use the fake stuff.

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010
Gonna laugh really hard if either Olivia or Amanda is actually David's time traveling daughter. Triple points if Baby Young ends up being August Oldmann instead.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That brings up another point, why was Olivia important enough that we could change her clothing?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That might be another one of the questions answered in Season 2. Maybe after the airplane incident, she becomes a foil for David, running into him in other dives.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mraagvpeine posted:

That brings up another point, why was Olivia important enough that we could change her clothing?

Whenever the game gets paused, it displays David Young's name. Why would the game need to tell you who you are playing as?

Possible she'll be playable in the next season?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lord Chumley posted:

Possible she'll be playable in the next season?

I hope the next season branches out a bit like Siren or Shadow of Memories.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

No Gravitas posted:

At first I thought it was a joke, with one hour left on the video. It wasn't.

But the speculation was awesome.
Yeah, for a "Season finale" the ending/cliffhanger left me pretty cold (the doc crawling into the vent as my personal highlight), but the hour afterwards was fantastic and kinda brought me back around on the whole thing.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

IrvingWashington posted:

If David ever figures out that he is August, David's going to have a lot of leverage over... uh... himself.
Now I want a climactic duel between August and David that is nothing but counters.

"I knew you'd pull that move!"
"Ah, but I knew that you knew!"
"Exactly! And I knew that you would know that I know!"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Tupperwarez posted:

Now I want a climactic duel between August and David that is nothing but counters.

"Aha! But did you know I gave myself amnesia so I can trick me into thinking I already knew!"

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

coleman francis posted:

So production of new types of blood stalled in what, 2007?

What year did Deadly Premonition take place?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Tupperwarez posted:

Reminds me of this.

"Did you just get here, son? I knew you knew I knew all along, all along, all along!"

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 13, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The d stands for those boston Ducks that's why the episode started and ended with them. I mean duh.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is it just me, or does Peggy's first dad look a lot like Forrest Kayson if he lost a lot of weight and was a decade older? They even have a mole in near the same place.

I can't unsee it now, but there's some inconsistency between the two. I can see it just enough for it to nag at me though!

But you know who ELSE has a blemish on his left cheek and also white hair?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also, Oldmann is a real Dracula-looking guy. The apparent fixation on blood doesn't help, either. Not that I think he's an actual vampire, but hey, who knows with Swery.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Also, Oldmann is a real Dracula-looking guy. The apparent fixation on blood doesn't help, either. Not that I think he's an actual vampire, but hey, who knows with Swery.

And he drained Little Peggy of blood? I think you're on to something there, buddy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Steelpudding posted:

And he drained Little Peggy of blood? I think you're on to something there, buddy.

Definitely a real sequel to D and D2.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What if Peggy's blood just left on its own, and it's still out there somewhere minding its own business?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rincewind posted:

What if Peggy's blood just left on its own, and it's still out there somewhere minding its own business?

it'll be busy, but will stop by from time to time to change the sheets

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If August and David are indeed the same person I can see why they would make August's voice all distorted like they did--once he opened his mouth and sounded like an older-David it would have been too obvious.

Really great and well thought-out speculation! Hoping that a Steam release means more D4

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

a cartoon duck posted:

The d stands for those boston Ducks that's why the episode started and ended with them. I mean duh.

"Those Boston ducks?" Those are the Make Way for Ducklings statues!

Which means that apparently August Oldmann and Forrest Kaysen's "secret meeting" was in the middle of the Boston Public Garden, but - hey. I guess it's open 24 hours, and I suppose a public park is as good a place to meet as any.

That's actually a really good model of the Public Garden and the duck statues. You can tell SWERY did his research to get that setting right.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

That's actually a really good model of the Public Garden and the duck statues. You can tell SWERY did his research to get that setting right.

I kind of imagine SWERY as one of those really obsessive american japanophiles, just with the cultures reversed.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Xenoveritas posted:

"Those Boston ducks?" Those are the Make Way for Ducklings statues!

Which means that apparently August Oldmann and Forrest Kaysen's "secret meeting" was in the middle of the Boston Public Garden, but - hey. I guess it's open 24 hours, and I suppose a public park is as good a place to meet as any.

Yeah, the whole little Public Garden scene looked incredibly accurate! It's neat to see Boston in a game like this-- I can't think of many (any?) games that take place in Boston.

There was a surprising amount of local color in D4. Even that totally bonkers Japan magazine article ended with references to the very real fact that the MFA has a well-known and large collection of Japanese art.

Kill and eat a whale.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, the whole little Public Garden scene looked incredibly accurate! It's neat to see Boston in a game like this-- I can't think of many (any?) games that take place in Boston.
Even the game called Defender of Boston is not set in Boston.
But it's weird as gently caress
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/defender-of-boston-the-rock-island-mystery/screenshots/gameShotId,57796/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/defender-of-boston-the-rock-island-mystery/screenshots/gameShotId,57798/

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This is exactly what Boston looks like.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Here's my Deadly Premonition linked thought: Remember exactly how the red trees grow. Perhaps Peggy died from a red tree implantation.

Oh, and when you talk of the character who knows what's going on: forget Amanda, that speculation is more than a bit of a stretch. Teddy is a hell of a lot better in that role. Since, you know, he has knowledge directly from August Oldmann, who we are assuming is David.

There's also the "Peggy actually died as a child" 999 theory that I keep dismissing but that keeps coming back to my head.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I really like how the Roland doll is held up to loom over David for the game.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
re "watching" (not watching very closely) the LP, and there is a point where David comes back to Olivia and says, "I got the goods" and she says, "You sound like a drug dealer" and he replies, almost jovially off the cuff, "old habits", so he probably is well aware he was under cover.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So, it's definitely "DON'T look for D."

Peggy says “Don’t look for D” here, quite clearly...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefm4a8kxgY&t=2477s
... and a few frames later you can plainly see "Don't Look for D" on the screen, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefm4a8kxgY&t=2611s
... as already pointed out by TapamN, although that post was apparently ignored.

TapamN posted:

I was wondering about the "Don't" in the background of this frame of the opening...

Moving on. If Old man David is gone all Dark Side, it seems unlikely he'd have so plainly and sadly said "How did it come to this... Little Peggy." in David's murder-night flashback. At the very least, he was trying to avoid this fate. If he is involved, maybe he could be releasing the Blood drugs to make enough money to continue trying to cure Peggy’s disease -- the one she apparently hides from everyone else. Hm.

I agree that the timing of the Blood series and David & Peggy's relationship is strange. But given that we actually do see DP’s red seeds in the bathtub -- it even appears to be the same damned model! -- and given how those trees work, I can't help feel that those ought to be a strong contender for Blood.

And then there’s this.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is it just me, or does Peggy's first dad look a lot like Forrest Kayson if he lost a lot of weight and was a decade older? They even have a mole in near the same place.

Sheeeee-it. Same hairline, cheekbones, eyes, mouth-line (if not lips), that mole...

Dad 1 is either yet another Forrest Kaysen as per the Deadly Premonition map, a slimmer Forrest from another part of the timeline, or a brother.

Which brings me to the final elephant. Yeah, sure, Swery is quirky. But he’s into hiding things in plain sight, and we have to acknowledge that Kaysen does not eat like a human being. Given that the only other truly anomalous people are apparently (a) a raging True Blood demon and (b) either a hallucination or an emissary of the white room, we have to allow for the strong possibility that Kaysen really is not supposed to be a normal man.

Talking of emissaries, is it a coincidence that both Amanda and Roland, David’s only clear protectors, and the most overtly supernaturally rule-breaking beings, are dressed/furred in white?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
With regards to Amanda, I'm reluctantly leaning towards "not-a-cat"--last I checked, they're not capable of handling baseballs with any kind of manual dexterity. I'm also not 100% sure on what the branch shop creatures are. Sure, they're cat-shaped, but there's just enough Uncanny Valley in the way they move that gives me pause. (I suppose you can chalk that up to iffy animation but still, a lot of the behavior feels more like "human pretending to be a cat" than anything else.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still think the branch shops are Just Shops and don't super matter, but Swery has surprised me before.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

dotchan posted:

they're not capable of handling baseballs with any kind of manual dexterity
On the other hand, this is the game with a baseball pitch standoff combat scene and one where you spit a gum to divert a knive flying at your face while most real brawls end with the first blow to the head. Might be the kind of artistic liberty Swery just used because it looks cool in an over the top way.

Although i'd love to hear your interpretation of Kaysen's food consumption capabilities!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

dotchan posted:

With regards to Amanda, I'm reluctantly leaning towards "not-a-cat"--last I checked, they're not capable of handling baseballs with any kind of manual dexterity. I'm also not 100% sure on what the branch shop creatures are. Sure, they're cat-shaped, but there's just enough Uncanny Valley in the way they move that gives me pause. (I suppose you can chalk that up to iffy animation but still, a lot of the behavior feels more like "human pretending to be a cat" than anything else.)

Maybe Amanda is whatever Kaysen's dog in Deadly Premonition was.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Here's the full version of the enjoyably incongruous end credits music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr3Yda31MF8

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My current working theory is that Amanda is a cat (in all likelihood the cat that David and Little Peggy own in the flashbacks) that got into some Real Blood and became a human (or alternatively gained the ability to shapeshift?)

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
I'm starting to wonder if David Young is actually a human version Shadow the Hedgehog.

1) Both David and Shadow have issues with amnesia.
2) They are both upset over a girl, David's Little Peggy and Shadow's Maria.
3) David could have potentially been created to become the ultimate life form, much like Shadow, because a lot of David's origins are shrouded in mystery and we've not heard anything about his parents.
4) Shadow can use Chaos Emeralds to go back in time, and David can use Mementos to go back in time.
5) Both use (or can at least hold) guns, in addition to fighting skills.

All David needs is some Jet Shoes and then he's Shadow the Hedgehog.

drowZebra fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 18, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
"Where's that drat fourth Real Blood memento?!"

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Re: Kaysen and Daddy Oldmann, his mole seems to be a bit higher on his cheek and his nose and mouth are a bit different. However his eyes are blue like Kaysens.

The moles are a running thing that nobody had mentioned-- Kaysen has one, Dad Oldmann seems to have one thats a bit lighter, Peggy has two, and Olivia has three. The theory that Kaysen is Dad and Olivia is the daughter would mean the moles are a sign of 3 generations... Probably too much of a leap but those moles are definitely important, theyre too obvious to be meaningless.

Someone mentioned August not having a bullet wound, but didnt the bullet wound awaken David's ability to travel through time? So if its an alternate timeline where David wasnt shot, how could he have gone back?

And why was the baby never mentioned??

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
PC port confirmed! Will definitely be buying it thanks to this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Obama does it again!

• Locked thread