Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

sauer kraut posted:

I spoiled myself a little by watching a subpar 'superbestfriends' video of this, the wait was just too much. I'm sorry :unsmith:
Can't wait for part #2.

Hey man, don't "LP Shame", we've all done things we're not proud of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Benach posted:

There's that, but there's also the incredibly jarring shoulders clipping into his armspits.

That's what makes it next-gen :colbert:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
So, I take it, what with the comment about his 'leadfilled brain' as he downed the tequila, the magazine on brain damage and the scar in his head, that David's taken a bullet to the skull that nobody's pulled out yet?

It fits well with how he seems to have been present at the scene his wife was shot (to hear her dying words), how he seems to have suddenly come over his paranormal abilities post-Peggy and why he keeps seeing memories of his dead wife. It's all down to those wacky neurons.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

sauer kraut posted:

I spoiled myself a little by watching a subpar 'superbestfriends' video of this, the wait was just too much. I'm sorry :unsmith:
Can't wait for part #2.

I saw that they'd done it, and they did Deadly Premonition too, but they talk all through the cutscenes so there's not a whole lot of point unless you're already familiar with the game and want to see someone else reacting to it. Very glad I waited for this LP instead, much more the style I prefer! Thanks for this, SGF!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

So, I take it, what with the comment about his 'leadfilled brain' as he downed the tequila, the magazine on brain damage and the scar in his head, that David's taken a bullet to the skull that nobody's pulled out yet?

I thought he directly said that the bullet in his head takes his memories or something like that, so yes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I thought he directly said that the bullet in his head takes his memories or something like that, so yes.

Scribbleykins posted:

It fits well with how he seems to have been present at the scene his wife was shot (to hear her dying words), how he seems to have suddenly come over his paranormal abilities post-Peggy and why he keeps seeing memories of his dead wife. It's all down to those wacky neurons.

Those could be the case, yes... but think about the letter from Peggy "Little Peggy" Peggy we got. Remember how it implied he was worried about her not liking the new him? And it went into the him/her he is now/was/will be, etc. I'm thinking the bullet to the head was before the murder. He was worried that she wouldn't love him or something because of the (assuming here) brain damage.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Shoeless posted:

Those could be the case, yes... but think about the letter from Peggy "Little Peggy" Peggy we got. Remember how it implied he was worried about her not liking the new him? And it went into the him/her he is now/was/will be, etc. I'm thinking the bullet to the head was before the murder. He was worried that she wouldn't love him or something because of the (assuming here) brain damage.

I think the more direct explanation is that she was psychic and knew that she would die and turn into a Force ghost.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Always happy to see more sgf videos.

Its a shame that the game seems to have lost its support during development. Focused on an abandoned doodad, no advertising, Microsoft seems to be trying to cut their losses on their exclusive. I hope it does okay. The main mystery of DP was a bit of a let down, but Swery seems really competent at making games that ooze style and charm.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Download

Scrapbooks
04 - History of World Cinema: The Cannes Film Festival

Kaysen's Reports
01 - The Discovery of B

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Praise be onto you.
If you don't mind a question, I'm having a hell of a time placing your accent. It seems to swing wildly between Virginia/DC, midwest (Minnesota maybe?) and New York City.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Ariamaki posted:

Not relevant now, but kind of curious: What's the LP Subforum rule on episodic games? If D4 Episode 2 were to come out in the middle of this LP, would you be able to carry right into it, SGF, or would you have to wait for a while like with a new game release?

It was mentioned, but the three month rule was lifted. Even so, if Season 2 came out, I wouldn't go straight into LPing it, as I'd need to prep for it like with Season 1.

V!ntar posted:

What exactly happens when you run out of stamina? Do you just get a game over?

David collapses, and then wakes up on the couch. We can then recharge our stamina by eating food found round the apartment. I believe that if we run out of stamina during certain scenes, we also get an option to pay 1000 credits to try the scene again. Honestly, since the patch running out of stamina hasn't been much of a worry. Pre-patch though, it was real easy to forget about the stamina bar and end up collapsing.

xoFcitcrA posted:

Hmm....

?

Well drat. I'll guess we'll have to keep an eye out for Richter's floating head, but I haven't seen it yet.

Wordnumber posted:

One of my favorite things about D4 is it's visual style. A lot of the textures look like they were painted with watercolor, for example. My favorite effect is the way translucence is shown, most noticeable when David is looking at the tequila bottle:

D4's graphics always stood out to me because Deadly Premonition looks so primitive and even Spy Fiction looks pretty bland. D4 isn't really the best looking game but the stylized graphics are a big improvement from Swery's previous work. I imagine a lot of it has to do with Microsoft's involvement.

I do really like Access Games went for a much more stylized look for this. Swery has said that the main reason for it is that this kind of look will age better than more realistic graphics, and since there is the possibility that it will be quite some time before the entirety of D4 comes out, it would be important that people are able to go back to the early episodes without them looking terrible.

AbstractNapper posted:

The interface looks super restrictive though. Maybe because they wanted to utilize Kinect for every single action (?). It looks like they could at least allow free movement and free looking around, instead of walking into "nodes" and only turning in specific angles.

You're correct that the intention is that the Kinect is supposed to be used for every single action. D4 was made to be a Kinect game, first and foremost. You're supposed to play it entirely with the Kinect, but they also put in controller support in case you wanted to use that. I would guess that the reason the game doesn't allow for free movement is because that would be far more difficult to control with the Kinect, as opposed to just selecting a direction to walk in.

sauer kraut posted:

Praise be onto you.
If you don't mind a question, I'm having a hell of a time placing your accent. It seems to swing wildly between Virginia/DC, midwest (Minnesota maybe?) and New York City.

My accent? I'm from New Jersey, but I don't know how much of that is in my voice.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was the strangest drat dinner I've ever seen. No way Forrest Kaysen is human after that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What in the LIVING HELL did I just watch?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Kaysen reminds me of Philip Seymour Hoffman. I really hate David's accent.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
I just hope Swery is smart enough not to keep typecasting his digital actor.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Ghostwoods posted:

That was the strangest drat dinner I've ever seen. No way Forrest Kaysen is human after that.

The poor guy has to eat for two. David seemingly survives on booze and chewing gum alone.

heenato posted:

I just hope Swery is smart enough not to keep typecasting his digital actor.

I already like this Kaysen a lot better than the last one. He is kind of charming and not nearly as greasy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ghostwoods posted:

I liked seeing exactly how many crackers David needed.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I'm really enjoying the liberal use of "quotation marks" sprinkled throughout this "dialogue".

Also Boston clam chowder is the superior style.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

man david must be cracked if he is seeing a cat as a girl in a leotard

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

And More posted:

The poor guy has to eat for two. David seemingly survives on booze and chewing gum alone.

I already like this Kaysen a lot better than the last one. He is kind of charming and not nearly as greasy.

Gotta respect a man who can eat a quad-decker pizza slice. There do seem to be signs that he could be a baddie again, but I'll assume that's just swery playing with expectations we'd have. The "mentor turns out to betray you" trope aside, the weird over-the-folder look at David was like he's Dracula or something.

Actually all the thread's theories may be coming together...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Forgive me, Forrest Kaysen if I don't trust people named Forrest Kaysen anymore.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I love how everyone, literally everyone's first reaction to teddy is "oh god, it this the same guy!?"

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I love how everyone, literally everyone's first reaction to teddy is "oh god, it this the same guy!?"

I doubt he's THE Forrest Kaysen but that doesn't change the fact that he is A Forrest Kaysen and thus incredibly suspect.

I'm sorry, sir, but we do not serve Forrest Kaysens at this establishment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Glory of Arioch posted:

man david must be cracked if he is seeing a cat as a girl in a leotard

Considering some of Deadly Premonition's characters, it's actually kinda more likely that she IS actually a girl in a leotard.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering some of Deadly Premonition's characters, it's actually kinda more likely that she IS actually a girl in a leotard.

This adds a lot of new implications with the cat crawling all over his wife in his flashbacks/hallucinations then.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm waiting for the final shot of the final season to be Amanda sitting down on the sofa when a white cat with a bow jumps on her lap.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
There still isn't really anything in particular to say about this game yet, but it'd be a goddamn crime if it didn't get at least a second "season" or whatever SWERY's calling it.

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral
Watching the failure reel where David is avoiding Amanda reminded me of something:

Not sure if it's intentional, but it's a nice throw back if it is. :)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm guessing the "Thomsonville. MA" thing mean that room is a memory of that location. But that still doesn't add up with David saying he's spent all his life in Boston. Unless Maryland has some sort of weird nexus tragedy room that draws in wayward souls.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
MA is Massachusetts, MD is Maryland. :ssh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Thompsonville is a village of Newton, which is a suburb pretty much directly adjacent to Boston, so it checks out.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I guess this game is to 'Memento' what Deadly Premonition was to Twin Peaks, they're laying the parallels on pretty thick. I hope it won't be that simple, it's sort of hard to tell with Swery.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BottledBacon posted:

Gotta respect a man who can eat a quad-decker pizza slice. There do seem to be signs that he could be a baddie again, but I'll assume that's just swery playing with expectations we'd have. The "mentor turns out to betray you" trope aside, the weird over-the-folder look at David was like he's Dracula or something.

Actually all the thread's theories may be coming together...

That was clearly five slices at once, not just four.

I'm not really fond of seafood, though, so all I can say about clam chowder is that the white New England style is the only kind I see out here in the Midwest.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I guess this game is to 'Memento' what Deadly Premonition was to Twin Peaks, they're laying the parallels on pretty thick. I hope it won't be that simple, it's sort of hard to tell with Swery.

Well the dude from Memento couldn't travel into other people's memories, so it's not exactly a direct parallel.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Artix posted:

MA is Massachusetts, MD is Maryland. :ssh:

Oh jeez. I'm a doofus.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Aw man, Swery is knocking it out of the park again.

I can safely say when the game was doing the "Who could that be at the door?" bit, I did not even come close to guessing the correct answer.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

"Amanda" doesn't talk and isn't wearing a nametag; I'll bet David just calls her that because he's still stuck on Peggy's cat. When he said she sometimes brings food, I was afraid he was talking about the rat.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I wonder if SWERY sent a team out to Boston to research details for the game like he did with DP. He's only needed to model one apartment so far but it's a really good portrait of an American apartment.

Actually what other games have had ordinary "realistic" rooms that the player spends a lot of time engaging with? I can think of Silent Hill: The Room and maybe Heavy Rain, but it feels like D4 is charting unknown waters in apartment-based gameplay here.

EDIT: about the Amanda situation: David is surprised to find white cat hair on his bed and apparently only remembers Amanda-the-cat during his flashbacks. Kaysen is also fine with a grown woman who can't speak and eats cat food but he might be really open-minded, who knows. There's is probably definitely something supernatural going on with her though.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 30, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Bendigeidfran posted:

Actually what other games have had ordinary "realistic" rooms that the player spends a lot of time engaging with? I can think of Silent Hill: The Room and maybe Heavy Rain, but it feels like D4 is charting unknown waters in apartment-based gameplay here.

Gone Home comes to mind.

So does Life is Strange-- although you don't spend as much time in any one room as you do in D4 or Gone Home-- you still spend a lot of the game in various realistic rooms and living spaces looking at things or interacting with objects. Life is Strange also reminds me a bit of Deadly Premonition, although it might just be that they share Twin Peaks as a common ancestor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I liked the 90s TV drama intro. That combined with Amanda made me think I'd suffered a minor cerebral haemmorage. Also, he may be as chubby, but this Kaysen is nowhere near as sleazy as the last one.

• Locked thread