Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Frostfang gives you a horse. Which is cool and good. Made it to 20 on a fury and did my first armor quest. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

if y'all want me to update OP with any relevant new info please let me know, btw.

at some point i might even make a new one because this game lives in my head rent free

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I would play this 24/7 if kronos weren't a thing.

And I were 25 years younger.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Givin posted:

And all the grinds you have to do at max level were not insane.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Givin posted:

Does using a Krono max out your vitality?

And yeah I'm definitely feeling the old man with an 8-5 getting left in the dust thing. Varsoon launched what, five days ago? And there are already tons of people running around at level 35-40. How :psyduck:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

never played eq2 before, are the pet classes good? i love pet classes

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Sydin posted:

Does using a Krono max out your vitality?

And yeah I'm definitely feeling the old man with an 8-5 getting left in the dust thing. Varsoon launched what, five days ago? And there are already tons of people running around at level 35-40. How :psyduck:

Stacked group bonus exp potions. Not only does each person get an increased exp by using them, but all party members do also too. So 6 people all running them gives some insane exp.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zil posted:

Stacked group bonus exp potions. Not only does each person get an increased exp by using them, but all party members do also too. So 6 people all running them gives some insane exp.

I haven't even been able to find a group yet because everybody lfg is already in the 20's. :negative:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The problem with going to new halas/darklight right away is that you're going to end up grinding or run short on quests unless you xp pot. What I did on an alt once I realized they were in but you couldn't START there was do a bit of the old newbie area (up to like 5-6, this isn't terribly hard to do) and then go out there where it felt a lot smoother. Once quests look ugly again I'll just go do, wailing caves or something and then smooth it out again.

Although maybe I'm missing some quests somewhere, it's been a hot minute.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

queeb posted:

never played eq2 before, are the pet classes good? i love pet classes

it kinda changes every expac, i dont think the pet classes have been 'bad' in a long time, but necro/conjy will haev periods of being 'op' vs 'fine' and the player base (at least on non-TLE) freaks out if classes aren't peak performance.

dunno about the state of beastlord right now though

i ENJOY the pet classes a lot myself though and if you're just playing casually i think they're overall very fun

i liked collecting warders and stuff on BL.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I think I remember that when the most recent expansion came out that Beast lords were extremely op. Not sure if that is still the case.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stanos posted:

The problem with going to new halas/darklight right away is that you're going to end up grinding or run short on quests unless you xp pot. What I did on an alt once I realized they were in but you couldn't START there was do a bit of the old newbie area (up to like 5-6, this isn't terribly hard to do) and then go out there where it felt a lot smoother. Once quests look ugly again I'll just go do, wailing caves or something and then smooth it out again.

Although maybe I'm missing some quests somewhere, it's been a hot minute.

You can also bounce between Halas/Antonia or DLW/CL fairly easily and keep pace even without vitality or xp pots. It does make the gear you get kinda all over the place though; I particularly enjoy that the new zones give you adornments that you flat out can't use in TLE yet. :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really love classic Everquest 2. The zones and leveling are so much better than whatever the gently caress the newer expansions decided to do.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Zil posted:

I think I remember that when the most recent expansion came out that Beast lords were extremely op. Not sure if that is still the case.

Beastlords do not exist on Varsoon yet so that's a non-issue. Conjurors have always been fine solo in my experience and still bring some value as dps to groups. I think necros do as well.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

I said come in! posted:

I really love classic Everquest 2. The zones and leveling are so much better than whatever the gently caress the newer expansions decided to do.

I think EQ2 up to about Kunark or so is definitely some of my favorite MMORPG experiences. One of of the few where I didn't feel the need to grind to max level, 99% of my time was spent leveling and exploring the poo poo ton of dungeons scattered around the world or all of the heritage quests.

Hanging out in dungeons and roaming around killing named bosses was awesome, too bad those style of dungeons have been replaced by linear and boring instances in modern MMOs.

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
The time locked server is really clicking with me this go around, but I definitely relate to the folks who feel like they’re having trouble keeping up. Most people in my guild are already in their 30’s while I’m sitting at 17 still.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah there are a lot of people who know what they are doing. I'm kinda just going at a snails pace and am okay with that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I stepped back for a couple days to just do tradeskilling stuff and I'm not officially kitted out in all steel which is nice. Completely unnessecary, but I always crafted my own fancy armor back in the day so why not.

My brig is up to 22 and I'm at the point where Nek is kinda busting my balls and I really need to just start desperately looking for groups. Is 22 to low for FG? It seems like every other lfm I see posted is for that zone, for whatever reason. I know I'm too low for RoV.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hi I'm bouncing around old MMOs checking 'em out and having a good time. Runescape has been good, Everquest 1 has been a fascinating thing to figure out and I'm slowly working through the newbie mines, and since adhd is a thing I'm curious about Everquest 2 too.

I am looking for:

- solo gameplay
- as blind as possible (within reason) so I can find and explore things and go "wow that's cool!" instead of "do quest X to get to level 15 then do quest Y"
- lore if possible, I like learning about these fantasy worlds

Since I picked Beastlord in EQ1 (as jack of all trades means I can try everything), I'm looking for something equally open for a solo player in EQ2: what class should I look at? Is it viable to be a healer and solo? Are there robots I can hire? etc etc

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hi I'm bouncing around old MMOs checking 'em out and having a good time. Runescape has been good, Everquest 1 has been a fascinating thing to figure out and I'm slowly working through the newbie mines, and since adhd is a thing I'm curious about Everquest 2 too.

I am looking for:

- solo gameplay
- as blind as possible (within reason) so I can find and explore things and go "wow that's cool!" instead of "do quest X to get to level 15 then do quest Y"

Since I picked Beastlord in EQ1 (as jack of all trades means I can try everything), I'm looking for something equally open for a solo player in EQ2: what class should I look at? Is it viable to be a healer and solo? Are there robots I can hire? etc etc

I’m not sure about modern EQ2 because I haven’t played since 2011 or so, but you can get by reasonably well with any class, though a conjurer or Necro would probably be the easiest. If you want to solo as a healer I played a Fury and did pretty well with it.

If you do give it a shot I highly recommend starting in Kelethin, the areas around there are just really neat and pretty unique, and I think give a better first impression than the Isle of Refuge starting zones.

Like I said though, I haven’t played in a long while and only recently came back for the TLP server, so someone else might have better suggestions!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There are bots, mercenaries you can get, but I dont know if they are on the progression servers. You can solo as anyone, especially with mercs, but shadow knight, conjurer, and necro will be easiest solo. Fury is the best soloing healer classically as they are the damage focused druid and have teleports.

I quit before eq2 beast lord but I heard they were OP then nerfed not sure where they landed. I do remember seeing that it is tricky to level up their warders at first. And I think they and channelers are still paid premium classes.

I soloed through velious with a dirge without a merc which was slow because they are a group buffing positional attack using class, but it worked for me. So you should be fine with anyone who looks fun for you.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am looking for:

- solo gameplay

I am going to reply to this based on my experience with Live servers. I haven't 'seriously' played in a few years, but most of what I like about EQ2 is still the same in this regard.:

- Solo gameplay

Live servers are EXTREMELY solo friendly even for new players, especially if you buy the mercenaries feature (which i think is bundled w/ expacs now?) or play a pet class. Some classes are slower/faster than others but I don't think any solo experience is bad on the current era servers.

- As blind as possible

So this game does have a lot of little cool and weird things to find out in the world. That's one reason I like it so much. But a lot of the quests are also 'collect bear asses'. There's only a few 'exploratory' quests in the form of some Epic quests or more vague quests like draconic language.

- Lore if possible

This is one reason I actually really liked eq2, was lore related stuff. There's lots of books to read and collect, there's some great story lines (IMO story up to Tears of Veeshan was cool overall, after TOV it started to fall off for me). The setting kept me playing a LOT longer than I would've otherwise.

EQ2 has a lot of cool things in it, but with a dreadful top end experience on the live servers. OTOH the TLE servers are time sinky if you just want to casually explore the world.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! Went with a fairy conjurer in Kelethin and... did ffxiv just rip the UI from EQ2? Because a lot of this feels extremely familiar!

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
Yeah the UI customization out of the box was wayy better than anything else I had played at the time. You should also take a look at the house/inn room decorating stuff if you’re into that part of FF, because EQ2 still has my favorite house decor system.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ezane posted:

You should also take a look at the house/inn room decorating stuff if you’re into that part of FF, because EQ2 still has my favorite house decor system.

I agree with this. As someone who owns a house in XIV myself, I think EQ2's is still overall more satisfying. I keep EQ2 installed for that reason, tbh.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

The only game that has ever approached EQ2s housing system was Wildstar. FF14 is close, but in EQ2 you don't have to fight everyone for a housing plot and as long as you can afford it, the house is yours to do with what you wish.

Also conjurer is a great choice for a first character, what server did you create your character on? I might be able to log in and give you some money for bags and what not.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Also, it seems there is a lot and I mean a lot of drama going on about cheating software on the new TLE server. It has gotten so bad that the developer of said software is banning guilds from using it, as in if you are in a specific guild it won't work anymore. They are also going after specific known problem users and banning all their accounts from ever buying the software again.

I also thought it was interesting that they mentioned there were over 900 active accounts using the software on the TLE as of last night.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There's a ? mark in that rodent den - how do I select it? I want the collectible!

PS I'm enjoying EQ2 a lot. It's a lot more "casual" than EQ1 but in a way that's really, really satisfying.

PPS: Zil thank you for the offer but so far I'm enjoying taking things slow and looking at stuff!

edit: GOT IT. zoomed into first person mode and moved around until I could select it. Back to helping mushroom dudes!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 8, 2022

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

StrixNebulosa posted:

PS I'm enjoying EQ2 a lot. It's a lot more "casual" than EQ1 but in a way that's really, really satisfying.

EQ2 has a lot of quality of life features that EQ1 didn't have (when i played, early ex pack days). Teleport to home for everyone. Fast travel from zone to zone and some fast travel in zone. No corpse runs. Features like those that show the EQ2 devs put at least some thought and time into respecting the players time.

Though on the TLE that just launched most of those are absent for the authentic vanilla launch experience and let me say it suuuuucks. No griffons/horses to get you across the 7 mile long Feerott swamp blows. These things will get added later, but for right now, it blows. I mean server is still great and fun and everything, but man you don't realize how nice things are until they take 'em away and you gotta run 5 miles to a dungeon to start a group, and then sit there for another 10 minutes while the dumb wizard goes the wrong way, agros a buncha lizard men, eats poo poo, and dies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

As I relax into playing daily I’m finding more and more that this is the most immediately satisfying of my three mmos. Which means I’m building opinions and have questions!

- I want to learn the lore of this setting. Are the tabletop rpg books worth reading? Are there any places in-game I should go? (Not that I’m leaving Kelethein yet)

- What god should I look for? I’m a level 14 fae conjurer who’s trying to be good.

- How much does alignment change? If I make a second evil or neutral character how much of the game am I changing?

Seriously though there’s something very soothing about hopping in, doing a couple quests / collecting bear asses and hopping out.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
To your questions, I have no idea there are actual real books about this. In game places for world lore are everywhere. Every overworld zone tends to have a quest timeline that will probably level you up through the zone, but also have you explore through the zone and whats going on there as well. Signature quests come later at higher levels and are very much more the 'this is the story of whats going on in the world in this exp pack' sort of a deal. In game places you should go? Everywhere. But uh, Nek Castle is a cool place to go once. Deathfist Citadel. Runny Eye if you like goblins. Sol Eye is pretty visually cool, especially at the bottom. Unrest is super cool. I'm naming early game stuff cause I play TLE and have no clue past like, lvl 80 stuff.

Maybe look into Solusek Ro? He's neutral and the god of fire, to its kinda fitting. Theres uh, Anasti Sul i think too thats just goddess of magic but she's evil.

Alignment really only changes where you start. Once you hit like 30 it doesn't matter so much. You'll be leaving your home city and island and going elsewhere where your alignment doesn't really matter as much. Some later story quests will be different in the telling of it only, like are you doing good for the realm by doing X or are you trying to just seize more power for yourself by doing X. In either case you will be doing X.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- I want to learn the lore of this setting. Are the tabletop rpg books worth reading? Are there any places in-game I should go? (Not that I’m leaving Kelethein yet)

I dunno but if you have a PS2 kicking about or are fine with emulating, playing Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms is a good idea! And eventually EQOA when that private server gets more done, as that's 600 years before EQ1 or something

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

This is an Everquest 1 book but really cool if you like maps and might be neat to check out before seeing the EQ2 equivalent if you can find it somewhere. It features maps of the areas with blurbs about their dangers, a little history, and notable NPCs. Most of them dungeons have remixes in EQ2 with some callbacks. It features up to the 4th EQ1 expansion Planes of Power.

https://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Atlas-Myrist-Ryan-Barker/dp/0972149503

I would have loved it if they had kept making those, but alas.

As for where to go in game, for good guys there's a Sage in the Qeynos mage tower that sells books that give quests and when you complete them you get the book as a placeable object for your house or apartment and can click on them to read them. Lots of short stories and lore tidbits. There used to be a website collecting the text in easy to read format but it looks like that is gone. This has some of the quests listed and says there is a Book Sage in Kelethin as well who might have some.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Books_Timeline

I remember being fascinated by the Obelisks and shadowmen and loved exploring those areas to squeeze what I could out of them, you usually either need a group or go back in at higher level when you can roam freely though.

This thread has a great overall lore recap with histories but it includes full storyline spoilers for the first several expansions so probably best avoided for now.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-lore-of-eq2-spoilers.560316/

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I remember there was this hidden quest in Nektropos Castle found by a player who posted a lot on the official lore sub forum. They made a thread about it and gave clues on how to do it so that other people could enjoy figuring it out. I thought it was cool Vhalen (original lore dev) was able to add hidden forums quests like that for the diehard lore enthusiasts to find.

Found the thread if anyone's interested. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/a-new-mystery-appears-in-nektropos-castle.197096/

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
I’ve been encountering quite a few new players on the TLP, or folks who played EQ1 and are just now giving 2 a shot. It’s been very cool grouping up with people who are jazzed to play this janky old game. :allears:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

i think i've got a way to fit EQ2 (or MMOs in general) back into my life a little bit so i might start playing again. idk if i'll be on TLP server or live though. i'll probably bring a few people with me even tho i keep telling them i can't recommend they play this game with me LMAO

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jade Star posted:

To your questions, I have no idea there are actual real books about this. In game places for world lore are everywhere. Every overworld zone tends to have a quest timeline that will probably level you up through the zone, but also have you explore through the zone and whats going on there as well. Signature quests come later at higher levels and are very much more the 'this is the story of whats going on in the world in this exp pack' sort of a deal. In game places you should go? Everywhere. But uh, Nek Castle is a cool place to go once. Deathfist Citadel. Runny Eye if you like goblins. Sol Eye is pretty visually cool, especially at the bottom. Unrest is super cool. I'm naming early game stuff cause I play TLE and have no clue past like, lvl 80 stuff.

Maybe look into Solusek Ro? He's neutral and the god of fire, to its kinda fitting. Theres uh, Anasti Sul i think too thats just goddess of magic but she's evil.

Alignment really only changes where you start. Once you hit like 30 it doesn't matter so much. You'll be leaving your home city and island and going elsewhere where your alignment doesn't really matter as much. Some later story quests will be different in the telling of it only, like are you doing good for the realm by doing X or are you trying to just seize more power for yourself by doing X. In either case you will be doing X.

Useful, thank you!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno but if you have a PS2 kicking about or are fine with emulating, playing Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms is a good idea! And eventually EQOA when that private server gets more done, as that's 600 years before EQ1 or something

I'll check these out, thanks!

bagrada posted:

This is an Everquest 1 book but really cool if you like maps and might be neat to check out before seeing the EQ2 equivalent if you can find it somewhere. It features maps of the areas with blurbs about their dangers, a little history, and notable NPCs. Most of them dungeons have remixes in EQ2 with some callbacks. It features up to the 4th EQ1 expansion Planes of Power.

https://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Atlas-Myrist-Ryan-Barker/dp/0972149503

I would have loved it if they had kept making those, but alas.

As for where to go in game, for good guys there's a Sage in the Qeynos mage tower that sells books that give quests and when you complete them you get the book as a placeable object for your house or apartment and can click on them to read them. Lots of short stories and lore tidbits. There used to be a website collecting the text in easy to read format but it looks like that is gone. This has some of the quests listed and says there is a Book Sage in Kelethin as well who might have some.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Books_Timeline

I remember being fascinated by the Obelisks and shadowmen and loved exploring those areas to squeeze what I could out of them, you usually either need a group or go back in at higher level when you can roam freely though.

This thread has a great overall lore recap with histories but it includes full storyline spoilers for the first several expansions so probably best avoided for now.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-lore-of-eq2-spoilers.560316/

Perfect, thank you! I recently rented? bought? a house and I kinda like how the decorating works, so I'm looking forward to shoving all the books in there. :D

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you! I recently rented? bought? a house and I kinda like how the decorating works, so I'm looking forward to shoving all the books in there. :D

I need to log in and see if my Qeynos apartment is still there. Stacks upon stacks of books everywhere, dozens of pets roaming around freely, a giant desert themed pool or hot tub completely filling one of the rooms. At some point I placed every housing item I collected in there from years of early expansion play just to clear up space in my bank and inventory. I was an mmo hoarder.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

bagrada posted:

I need to log in and see if my Qeynos apartment is still there. Stacks upon stacks of books everywhere, dozens of pets roaming around freely, a giant desert themed pool or hot tub completely filling one of the rooms. At some point I placed every housing item I collected in there from years of early expansion play just to clear up space in my bank and inventory. I was an mmo hoarder.

Just lol if you don't have a wall full of the heritage quest and mob killing weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Zil posted:

Just lol if you don't have a wall full of the heritage quest and mob killing weapons.

Oh yeah them too. I'd done (as far as I know) literally everything up through the end of KoS. I soloed on through the first Velious expansion but didn't do any group content for anything after KoS.