Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any recommendations on a fun, group oriented class on the TLE server? Back in the day it was mainly Ranger, Fury and Shadowknight that I played the most. Looking to try something different but hopefully not too painful if you're by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mustang posted:

Any recommendations on a fun, group oriented class on the TLE server? Back in the day it was mainly Ranger, Fury and Shadowknight that I played the most. Looking to try something different but hopefully not too painful if you're by yourself.

Find what you like. There isn't a non group oriented class. Some will solo better than others, but for grouping it's all good, everyone brings something to a group. Play the classes you just listed if you remember enjoying them, they're all good.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

All classes do well, but I will say that there are usually a overpopulation of Druids because of porting. So you may see at times where groups will be looking for non-leather healers because they already have one.

Though I still normally go Fury because I love their toolkit and don't like meleeing.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

sittin here trying to figure out what to do with myself. looked at kaladim and realized it was never getting to COE, and now worried varsoon will probably never hit COE or TOV. i really want to play TOV again.

tbh i really enjoyed the period of the game from RoK through TOV, but apparently after RoK the TLE pops start falling off more and more. for me, everything AFTER ToV is when the game slid hard.

i mean, i liked KoS and EOF. and the base game+dof are ok. but there was somethin good about that specific era for me. maybe just the memories of the people.

anyway i might make a Troubadour on Varsoon. dunno for sure though. or i might take my rear end back to live and just see how i feel about the current state of the game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Thought this was interesting and maybe relevant to the popular question of 'what should I play' or 'whats popular' on the new TLE server;

Necro's being solid dps (brokenly so probably when we get to later expacks) and able to solo through quests very well do to tank pet and dps is no real surprise. It's a very simple and easy class to play that's newbie friendly. So is conjuror, but last TLE the later expacks caused a huge gap in dps between the two.

The old crutch tank coming in number two makes sense. Newer people tend to look surface level and SK's have good damage numbers (for a fighter) on parses. I even made a SK this server as an experiment to see what all the fuss was about and it's hilarious how much less defense and defensive skills/tools they have. Still, they do damage and that can help going through solo quests and form a positive first impression of them.

Fury's coming in number three is interesting. They're a solid all rounder but kind of the jack of all trades, master of none. They solo well, but I'd call them the weakest of the priest classes in terms of whom I'd want healing me. They're going to struggle the most of any priest trying to solo heal a dungeon group. I've definitely seen a lot of furys on the server.

Illusionists being so popular is surprising. They're a good class but I wouldn't have expected them so high. Wardens, much the same reason as furys, good all rounder, better heals for groups. Bards being so high is interesting and cool to see. And then it goes off into dps, priests, and mostly fighters by the end. Brigands sadly down near the bottom but maybe understandable for vanilla and TLE. Swash's last TLE got some mega broken damage output from just passive things, like top the parse off auto attack and procs broken. In fact all the scout DPS classes seem to be substantially lower than mage dps classes. I think that's just unfortunately a symptom of TLE changes and mechanics. At least early on until AA's and things.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So who is ready for the shenanigans that the 64bit client is going to bring? Also it looks like the botting software is somewhat ready, but not fully fleshed out yet, so will be much fewer bot crews running around on the TLEs for a few weeks.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Brigand being low-ish in vanilla EQ2 makes sense to me because they don't get the things that, IMO, makes Brigands really start to stand out, until Desert of Flame. Dispatch is 55, and Double Up is 58.

Do we have a goon discord for EQ2 these days?

Man, maybe I'll re-evaluate and pick up Brig if people are sleeping on it. It's my 2nd favorite scout after Troub. Though as pops fall off both will start to get rarer so it probably doesn't really matter...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Thought this was interesting and maybe relevant to the popular question of 'what should I play' or 'whats popular' on the new TLE server;

Necro's being solid dps (brokenly so probably when we get to later expacks) and able to solo through quests very well do to tank pet and dps is no real surprise. It's a very simple and easy class to play that's newbie friendly. So is conjuror, but last TLE the later expacks caused a huge gap in dps between the two.

The old crutch tank coming in number two makes sense. Newer people tend to look surface level and SK's have good damage numbers (for a fighter) on parses. I even made a SK this server as an experiment to see what all the fuss was about and it's hilarious how much less defense and defensive skills/tools they have. Still, they do damage and that can help going through solo quests and form a positive first impression of them.

Fury's coming in number three is interesting. They're a solid all rounder but kind of the jack of all trades, master of none. They solo well, but I'd call them the weakest of the priest classes in terms of whom I'd want healing me. They're going to struggle the most of any priest trying to solo heal a dungeon group. I've definitely seen a lot of furys on the server.

Illusionists being so popular is surprising. They're a good class but I wouldn't have expected them so high. Wardens, much the same reason as furys, good all rounder, better heals for groups. Bards being so high is interesting and cool to see. And then it goes off into dps, priests, and mostly fighters by the end. Brigands sadly down near the bottom but maybe understandable for vanilla and TLE. Swash's last TLE got some mega broken damage output from just passive things, like top the parse off auto attack and procs broken. In fact all the scout DPS classes seem to be substantially lower than mage dps classes. I think that's just unfortunately a symptom of TLE changes and mechanics. At least early on until AA's and things.

Bruiser being dead last is not surprising in the least, that is class that needs to be fixed and buffed so bad its not even funny. I say this as someone whos first ever character to 50 was a bruiser.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So did the 64 bit client go live today? Kind of surprised there was no messaging or anything from the patch this morning, seems like a big deal. Is it a noticeable upgrade? I logged in for a few minutes but I was in the middle of nowhere, but it did seem like a much smoother performance.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Tsurupettan posted:

Brigand being low-ish in vanilla EQ2 makes sense to me because they don't get the things that, IMO, makes Brigands really start to stand out, until Desert of Flame. Dispatch is 55, and Double Up is 58.

Do we have a goon discord for EQ2 these days?

Man, maybe I'll re-evaluate and pick up Brig if people are sleeping on it. It's my 2nd favorite scout after Troub. Though as pops fall off both will start to get rarer so it probably doesn't really matter...

Troub is a good pick. I'm playing a Dirge, easy to get groups & good for harvesting and grabbing shinies. You just won't be top of the parse, ever.

Mustang posted:

So did the 64 bit client go live today? Kind of surprised there was no messaging or anything from the patch this morning, seems like a big deal. Is it a noticeable upgrade? I logged in for a few minutes but I was in the middle of nowhere, but it did seem like a much smoother performance.

It's live and there's no noticeable difference on the client side for me. Hopefully there's a decent performance upgrade for the servers, but today there's just lag.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So after playing for a bit, with the 64 bit client I can play EQ2 on fully max settings at a consistent 60 FPS. It's really weird playing such a smooth EQ2 but you wouldn't be able to tell a difference with just a screenshot.

The world itself looks good for its age, high detail character models are still just as restrictive in quantity/viewing distance though.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Dang, two weeks of double exp on TLE sure is an incentive to level both my Troub AND my Brig, and get crafting done on them too!

If anyone wants to friend me on TLE, my characters are Amalsandra and Verennia.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Double TLE exp? I didn't see this happen. Is it an apology for rolling out game shittingly bad lag with the last patch?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Double TLE exp? I didn't see this happen. Is it an apology for rolling out game shittingly bad lag with the last patch?

Part of the summer event. Lasts til July 13th. It's double all servers.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Makes me want to try a scout-type I haven't played before. Dirge? Swash? Maybe even Assassin if I want to mess around with Stealth (Assassin is all Stealth/positional-based right?)

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Not ALL stealth based, but the largest stealth based attacker for sure.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I ended up making a halfling swashbuckler, anyway. Thanks for the heads-up about the XP.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I made a Froglok Pally and immediately betrayed to make them an SK. Still awesome.

Varsoon seems very busy, also!

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016

dreffen posted:

I made a Froglok Pally and immediately betrayed to make them an SK. Still awesome.

Varsoon seems very busy, also!

Yeah I’ve been surprised at how well the pop has held up, still seeing plenty of folks in the lower level zones as I mess around on alts.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I played the poo poo out of EQ2 at launch, sat in line to get a physical copy of the game, etc. I remember the launch period as absolutely magical and hitting a really delightful sweet spot between EQ1, which I found inscrutable, and other MMOs, which were either too shallow or too empty. That was obviously a millennia ago in digital time and last time I logged in to EQ2, I just logged into a free server and I found it kind of overwhelming and flabbergasting logging into my old characters. Anyway, I'm in the mood for an MMO, and I was thinking about trying the TLP server. I just have a couple questions:

1. Is the population good enough to support just hopping in as a solo player and finding a guild eventually? I'm mostly concerned about the levelling experience being too empty.
2. Do people still do group content and levelling on these or is it the same thing I encountered in the non TLP where it's just, like, a bunch of formless quests on a random island?
3. Is Mystic the Shaman analogue I remember? I played mostly before the class changes when they were at their most numerous and complicated and I only really remember playing the negative version of Cleric (Defiler?) and the good version of Shaman. I played a Shaman in EQOA and EQ and probably want to try that first.

Thanks in advance if anyone wants to help me out

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

3. Defiler and Mystic are both the two sides of the Shaman. Cleric is Inquisitor and Templar, and Druid is Fury and Warden.
2. I saw people doing groups in dungeons to level up. Each zone has their quest timelines still, though the intro zones should as well.
1. The best time to jump in is when the TLP servers launch but word is Varsoon is still pretty popular and worth joining if you are interested and can pay the sub for access.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bagrada posted:

3. Defiler and Mystic are both the two sides of the Shaman. Cleric is Inquisitor and Templar, and Druid is Fury and Warden.
2. I saw people doing groups in dungeons to level up. Each zone has their quest timelines still, though the intro zones should as well.
1. The best time to jump in is when the TLP servers launch but word is Varsoon is still pretty popular and worth joining if you are interested and can pay the sub for access.

Cool I just bought a sub and I’m gonna hop in later today as a mystic. Thanks!

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I can confirm that Varsoon still seems to be pretty lively. I'm still early on, having played a little EQ2 absolute ages ago, but I've been enjoying my dabbling in Berserker and Warden.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Awesome. I loved EQ2 when it wasn't quite as giant and bloated as non-TLE feels, so I'm pretty stoked to see how it feels right now. I don't mind the lack of QoL things, either, really, since the last MMO I played was FFXI and I kind of relish a little bit of running/organizing/group grinding. I assume Mystics don't have any trouble finding groups? Are they capable healers? I usually play a straight healer but always loved the buffs, pets, forms, and debuffs associated with Shamans in EQ.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm in a raid guild on Varsoon and can offer you an invite to the guild if you want a guild with active people to talk to or group with. Grouping may be a bit slow as we, and probably most of the server are at the level cap by now. I think the next expansion is due in 4 weeks and everything will explode then and you'll have tons of people to group with then, my guild or just general public.

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Frog Act posted:

Awesome. I loved EQ2 when it wasn't quite as giant and bloated as non-TLE feels, so I'm pretty stoked to see how it feels right now. I don't mind the lack of QoL things, either, really, since the last MMO I played was FFXI and I kind of relish a little bit of running/organizing/group grinding. I assume Mystics don't have any trouble finding groups? Are they capable healers? I usually play a straight healer but always loved the buffs, pets, forms, and debuffs associated with Shamans in EQ.

Mystics are pretty great. I've mained one on Varsoon since server up, been in a raiding guild, done pretty much all the content avail in shattered land...no complaints, really. For straight healing it's probably the best in the game. Of course, DPS is arse and doing anything solo is a total pain, but I assume you realize that going in.

We're about a month out from the first xpac so it's not a terrible time to hop in and get caught up. Still see plenty of LFG activity for leveling groups; not like it was at launch, of course, but I think you'll do fine as a healer. Lots of guilds still seem to be looking for healers/utility, too.

If you have any troubles or more questions feel free hit up Dermit in game. Happy to help a fellow connoisseur of the healing arts.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dermit posted:

Mystics are pretty great. I've mained one on Varsoon since server up, been in a raiding guild, done pretty much all the content avail in shattered land...no complaints, really. For straight healing it's probably the best in the game. Of course, DPS is arse and doing anything solo is a total pain, but I assume you realize that going in.

We're about a month out from the first xpac so it's not a terrible time to hop in and get caught up. Still see plenty of LFG activity for leveling groups; not like it was at launch, of course, but I think you'll do fine as a healer. Lots of guilds still seem to be looking for healers/utility, too.

If you have any troubles or more questions feel free hit up Dermit in game. Happy to help a fellow connoisseur of the healing arts.

Much appreciated! I’m used to having a tough time soloing and it sounds like leveling isn’t insanely onerous and time consuming even on the TLEs, so I’m okay with having to mostly group. That’s why I’m trying this again anyway, I want a social game that isn’t as demanding as EQ or economically hosed re: grinding and end game as FFXI but still encourages a certain amount of actual engagement with other players, and this looks close. I will definitely hit you up for advice when I inevitably get confused, thank you for the offer!

Jade Star posted:

I'm in a raid guild on Varsoon and can offer you an invite to the guild if you want a guild with active people to talk to or group with. Grouping may be a bit slow as we, and probably most of the server are at the level cap by now. I think the next expansion is due in 4 weeks and everything will explode then and you'll have tons of people to group with then, my guild or just general public.

Thanks! It’s very likely I will take you up on that guild offer - I’ve always had better experiences with goon adjacent guilds than weird bigoted pubbies and stuff. I’m going to dip my toes in and if I decide to stick around I’ll be in touch. Older games like this are always considerably improved by having people to answer random questions, too.

ed: also I can't seem to find an easy answer googling on my phone lazily, do Mystics still have the not-very-useful-but-cool bear form and the various cosmetic ones? I always loved that EQ2 put in stuff for just class specific flavor in a way most contemporary games won't

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 11, 2022

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Frog Act posted:

ed: also I can't seem to find an easy answer googling on my phone lazily, do Mystics still have the not-very-useful-but-cool bear form and the various cosmetic ones? I always loved that EQ2 put in stuff for just class specific flavor in a way most contemporary games won't

It's attached to one of our self buffs, but yeah, big fat bear form is part of the Mystic life. My guild uses me as a point of reference: "ok everybody not tanking stack up on the bear or you're gonna get killed"

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Anytime. Just look up the guild <For Science> or me personally as probably every plate tank in the guild. I made 5 tanks, because reasons.

Though seriously, Randyll, Beric, Belwas, Baelor, Gerold, all me. Will toss you an invite whenever you want.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dope, thanks y’all! Looking forward to diving in tomorrow and experiencing some hardcore nostalgia. I have very fond memories of launch Qeynos, Antonica, and some of the surrounding low level dungeons. Also while I’m asking questions I read somewhere having an account from before F2P that purchased the game entitles you to certain items via /claim, is that true and are they any good?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Frog Act posted:

Dope, thanks y’all! Looking forward to diving in tomorrow and experiencing some hardcore nostalgia. I have very fond memories of launch Qeynos, Antonica, and some of the surrounding low level dungeons. Also while I’m asking questions I read somewhere having an account from before F2P that purchased the game entitles you to certain items via /claim, is that true and are they any good?

/claim is very limited on TLE. No veteran rewards and what you can claim goes by expansion. So if you could claim something from an expansion purchase, you can't claim it until TLE reaches that expansion.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I appreciate all the help! So I’m a level 10 Barbarian Mystic named Marcuse now. Had to redo the whole tutorial island because I logged in and realized they had changed my character’s name from Dongquixote to Doquixote which was very annoying, but that only took like an hour so whatever. Anyway, It’s basically what I remember - pretty generic MMO at first - so what I really want to do is get to some group content. I do love the areas, I forgot about the silly but distinctive EQ2 aesthetic and I’m eager to get some more gear and get out into the wider world past Qeynos.

To that end I’m wondering: antonica starts around level 12 or so, right? Also a couple other random questions:

Where can I upgrade my spells? That seems important.
Is there anything worth buying with my daybreak bucks? I have 600 for some reason.

Also I’d love an invite to For Science, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for your characters / Belgariad references but if you see a Marcuse on, that’s me and I’d be down to join whenever

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

You can get the spell upgrades from the market board, or from the sage tradeskill for mystics.

I made a run at Varsoon last night and decided I'm more interested in resuming climbing the expansion packs where I left off at the start of Velious. I have a choice now though. I was using my 80 dirge on Maj'dul (who will be 18 years old in November, crazy) but I was just given an 85 boost and server transfer ticket on my short lived Kalimdor alt. So I might take the opportunity to main swap for a change (beast lord or necro?). I mostly just zen out doing solo questlines and exploring.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Frog Act posted:

To that end I’m wondering: antonica starts around level 12 or so, right? Also a couple other random questions:

Where can I upgrade my spells? That seems important.
Is there anything worth buying with my daybreak bucks? I have 600 for some reason.

Also I’d love an invite to For Science, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for your characters / Belgariad references but if you see a Marcuse on, that’s me and I’d be down to join whenever

Antonica is 10-20 yeah, but not a lot of reason other than nostolgia to be there. If you want leveling/dungeons most people get to fallen gate. Or since you're good Frostfang Sea is good with solo quests til 18-20 and ends with a free 29% speed horse.

Spells upgrades are usually found on the broker. There are 5 levels, you get level 1 (apprentice) when you reach the appropriate level, level 2 (journeyman) can be bought from your class trainers but no one does this, level 3 (adept) are loot drops and tend to find their way onto the broker for cheap. This is a good starting point for upgrading your skills till you're higher level. Level 4 (expert) are player crafted. Level 5 (master) are rare loot drops, often available on the broker.

When you hit level 20, I think, you can 'research' spell upgrades. A new tab on your spell book shows up and you can pick a spell to upgrade, costing only time. Or daybreak cash if you're impatient and love micro transactions.

Also you get 500 daybreak bucks a month just for your subscription. Use it on whatever. Exp potions if you wanna level faster, hoard it for a few months to save up for fancy looking appearance armor. There are some actual useful things you can do with it, like name change tokens, race change potions, or weapon delay changers, but like 98% of daybreak cash stuff is fluff and the other 2% is probably exp potions.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I played a bunch from release through Echoes of Faydwer as a dirge, doing everything I could with a few good and fun raid guilds. Since then I've popped back a few times solo just to quest through some more. I'm still a big Everquest nerd having gotten my start in EQ1 (I bounced off Ultima Online despite being playing the Ultima rpgs with my dad as a kid). For some reason I really like the world and lore and both games keep drawing me back.

In case anyone finds it interesting, here are my thoughts after a couple of weeks of playing this time around. If not please excuse my wall of text.

The progression server Varsoon is populated and is probably the way to go (or whatever progression server is newest at the time you start). There are tons of players everywhere and groups seem plentiful. The first expansion is about to release but there's still time to join. I am curious about the difficulty, every time I tune into streams people are wiping to Darathar, the big dragon at the end. But its probably just raiding as usual with many of the more hardcore players taking a break or playing alts until DoF hits. Leveling looks to be fast if you find groups and especially a regular group, but there is a ton of stuff to do if you are solo or a completionist. There are some really cool dungeons and sights still so if you have a tolerance for mid 00s questing it can be worth a sub to see if it clicks if you are burnt out on WoW or curious.

I also played some on my original dirge, originally Kithicor server merged into Crushbone then Maj'dul. I'm nearing the end of the first Velious expansion in a solo questline playthrough. I quested through Great Divide, Eastern Wastes and Withered Lands this time. Unlocking flying from the start of Velious helps so you don't have to get to the goat village and raise the griffon baby anymore. I race changed to an arasai fae and did the self powered flight unlock so I reskinned over my mount (which has the stat bonus wings don't) and now zip around causing trouble. I really like how you automatically remount out of combat. You can also stealth and track while flying but you do have to land to activate or deactivate them. The quests in this part of the game came out in 2011 and aren't too annoying but it's still get 3 quests, go into the field, come back, get 3 more quests, go into the field, ad nauseum. With the occasional trip back to a town or city for a quick update. Trivial with the subscriber fast travel which I didn't even notice for the first week so I spent a lot of time running to and from wizard spires. My 10 year veteran mercenary was pretty good, I had the paladin, but as soon as I dinged level 91 she started dropping like a rock even though I'd barely get scratched myself. Probably because she'd only gained one rank so far as that is time or money gated so I didn't have much gear on her. So I spent a bit and got some current season storebought mercenaries. I didn't try the healer which is supposedly the go-to but as a dirge I wanted DPS so I had a centaur ranger who would cure me and shred the enemies. It was pretty ridiculous but not too overpowered as I still couldn't take the three arrow ^^^ named mobs intended for groups. The quests are mmo standard but a few were interesting and I laughed out loud at the dumb raptor quests in Withered Lands. I also enjoyed going back and soloing ("moloing" with a merc?) the end of the splitpaw war and clearing up some other 14 year old quests I couldn't drag groups to or solo back in the day.

Finally I bought the 2021 expansion and boosted up an aerakyn paladin. Unlike a certain other game, this one does not hold your hand at all if you boost. It looks like they figure you know what you are doing and just want an alt boosted. I followed a helpful guide on the official forums to prep a bit but I skipped two steps because I was in a hurry - going back a few expansions to do some panda quests, and maxing my tradeskill class to unlock flying in the latest expansion right off the bat. I was really taken aback at first because while I was 120, the quests and mobs were 126 or so. But apparently that's intended because of the power creep of players coming in with mercenaries and familiars and previous expansion gear. It's interesting to see this game has never done a stat squish. In the current expansion you have millions of hp and are hitting for millions of damage. The boost gave me a set of gear for me and a merc, and I could also get similar gear but without gems from a crate on the docks. I was getting whooped at first but I wasn't used to the class and soon found it was a glass cannon thing (on a tank class...) where I'd either blow up the enemies in seconds or they'd get me down low. Thankfully I had plenty of easy healing which let me get my bearings. At the end of the first zone there was an instance with ^^^ group mobs I'd never think about trying to solo based on my prior (10 year old) experience but I'd read a thread with non-dps classes complaining how long it took to solo. It took me an hour to clear but I was never in any danger. After that it was on to the second zone and flying unlocked in the previous one. It's more like FF14 than WoW in that way. I really like the feel of flying into a group of enemies, beating them up then zooming off. With a mount its a pop out then pop back in animation that is jarring, with with your own wings it is pretty seamless. I did have to shell out for the upgrade for this dragonkin race, but the fae and arasai can just do a questline, and I think every race can buy wings off the store for $$ since thats the way of things these days.

I have to say I wouldn't jump into the current new expansions unless you have friends that play or are willing to make some fast. Advise from an experienced player will be worth a ton even if you don't want them to speed level and gear you. With how expensive mercs and familiars are it is terrible that they aren't account wide, especially with how much time or money it takes to level and gear them up. I think Daybreak has completed given up on getting brand new players into the modern expansions, they definitely don't support it very well.

I'll probably wait for this year's expansion reveal and if it sounds cool I'll keep playing. If it doesn't grab my interest I'll put the game back on the shelf until next time. Varsoon is tempting but I already put my time into Vanilla and the first three expansions. I'd rather see the "newer" stuff, especially after the thread OP talked up Tears of Veeshan.

Finally the biggest complaint I've seen about this game since release is ability bloat where you just have too drat many hotkeys. That has gotten far worse. I seemed to have multiple copies of different abilities, Alternate Advancements add a bunch and I just shook my head when I chugged a potion to gain 20 Ascension levels and got another dozen or more abilities.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 31, 2022

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

Based on the recent discussion I'm going to give Varsoon a try, will look up the For Science folks. I'm most interested in playing utility or healing, and I didn't play EQ2 back in the vanilla days so this will be all-new for me. Is EQ2 Fandom the best new player reference or are there any recommendations in that space?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
If you don't see Randyll on, just look for any For Science person, ask for an officer that can invite, and tell 'em you're an out of game acquaintance of Randyll looking for a guild.

Desert of Flames comes out on the 13th I believe, so there may be a slight lull for this week, but it's about to get busy again real soon.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone able to throw an invite at any time on the AB server for YOGS?
Husband and I are most active on there.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You might be about 20 years too late. I can check if my guy is still in the guild and send invites but you’ll be the only ones on.

I’d suggest just finding a pubby guild that meets your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I haven't seriously played since Velious, but I just ended up coming back to the game and trying to figure this out is a hoot and a half. Got some questions for those of you still playing:

1) I did the daily to get a familiar and got one that gives a 20.4% boost to stats. Is that good or should I keep doing this weird pokemon daily?

2) Overseer stuff: I am level 47. Is there a reason to keep doing overseer quests? I'm only getting level 100-120 rewards.

3) Getting 3 AA every time you level is new, right? I remember y'all grinding me through that tomb in commonlands with an AA potion and I don't remember having anywhere near 60 AA's this early.

4) Speaking of AA - uhh, can you just put them anywhere now in the regular tree? You used to have to go 4-4-8-1, right? Is it going to break anything if I skip some of the middle ones and just grab the good abilities now?