Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The new expansion is out now, did anyone pick it up? The best part is you can keep the current thread title because the new expansion adds more dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Still playing some, maybe time to get serious w more dinosaurs

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Looks like Darkpaw is trying something new and posting roadmaps for the year ahead for both EQ and EQ2.

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-2022-roadmap

There's nothing super shocking here, but I honestly love that they're doing this, and it hopefully quiets the "EQ/EQ2 are definitely going into maintenance mode this year" speculation.

Also the Lore and Legends server is a cool idea. Obviously we'll have to see how it's handled but it sounds like EQ2 revamped with Elder Scrolls Online style level scaling? If that's right and they can actually pull it off, I'll be trying it out at least.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Remarker posted:

Looks like Darkpaw is trying something new and posting roadmaps for the year ahead for both EQ and EQ2.

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-2022-roadmap

There's nothing super shocking here, but I honestly love that they're doing this, and it hopefully quiets the "EQ/EQ2 are definitely going into maintenance mode this year" speculation.

Also the Lore and Legends server is a cool idea. Obviously we'll have to see how it's handled but it sounds like EQ2 revamped with Elder Scrolls Online style level scaling? If that's right and they can actually pull it off, I'll be trying it out at least.

quote:

July:
64-Bit Servers and Clients Port Launch

Wait, the EQ2 client wasn't 64bit already?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Remarker posted:

Yeah that has my interest for sure if they can do it. I haven't played in years and I think the farthest I've gotten is early Velious. I feel locked into my dirge main due to time investment and quest completion but he isn't the best for soloing. I burn out on new characters in the 20s, and am completely lost with boosted characters.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Remarker posted:

That server idea actually sparks my interest. Not sure if I'd actually come back for this, but it's definitely something that will make me think about it.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

With how poorly the EQ2 client still runs to this day, I can believe it. Idk if the 64bit upgrade will increase stability or whatever, but I can dream.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Remarker posted:

With how poorly the EQ2 client still runs to this day, I can believe it. Idk if the 64bit upgrade will increase stability or whatever, but I can dream.

well, one of the main takeaways is that now the 64 bitness will be able to reserve more memory which could let the client load more textures/models into memory instead of just 4GB

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

More info on the lore and legend server :

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-lore-and-legend-server

So basically you start at a high level, and it auto-levels you down to certain zones. I guess so there's not as much of an emphasis on "leveling up" but instead just going through and completing things?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

spooky wizard posted:

So basically you start at a high level, and it auto-levels you down to certain zones. I guess so there's not as much of an emphasis on "leveling up" but instead just going through and completing things?

this kinda sounds cool tbh. i definitely wanna try it if i have the time. i hope it works out as well as it sounds on paper.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

spooky wizard posted:

Oh yeah that sounds cool as hell.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

well, one of the main takeaways is that now the 64 bitness will be able to reserve more memory which could let the client load more textures/models into memory instead of just 4GB

That sounds very good for me! Here's hoping. Just always shocks me how this game from 2004 still manages to make my 2020 computer sputter and shoot sparks as it tries to manage it.

spooky wizard posted:

Agreeing with others, this sounds cool tbh. I've been questing through low-level zones and dungeons one by one just to do them and say I've done everything in them. This would definitely make that process harder but more engaging.

My only worry, I guess, is that I'm not sure how big an audience it will be able to pull in and maintain if there's no real "goal" so to speak - and with the level parity, you'll really need other players to help tackle the content.

EDIT: OK, rereading the link and it sounds like they're trying to make the focus competing for the highest achievement score, which is... interesting. Designing unique armor sets for this server is cool though!

Remarker fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 21, 2022

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have kind of picked this back up after many many years. I think the lore and legend server sounds interesting, so just dicking around with some toons on Maj'dul until it launches. Then I suspect I will go ham on the new TLP in May, unless I wind up too spoiled with fast travel, mercs, etc

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

I have kind of picked this back up after many many years. I think the lore and legend server sounds interesting, so just dicking around with some toons on Maj'dul until it launches. Then I suspect I will go ham on the new TLP in May, unless I wind up too spoiled with fast travel, mercs, etc

Eyyy I've been playing on Maj'Dul also. Decided to start a new character and just try to do a sorta completionist run through each zone/expansion. I'm level 54 and still in the base game's level 30 to 40 zones rn lol

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

EVIL Gibson posted:

It's part of the original development cycle of the game like 20 years ago. When SOE originally designed the graphics engine, they ran on the assumption that 64 bit and multcore cpus were a fad and their target "high end" pc spec originally was a x86 single core running at like 7GHz. They did some rebuild after the fact to get it to play better with multi core processors, but at least in the time I played it (see: Kunark to Odus) it was always x86.

I wonder how many man hours it took to reverse engineer and unfuck the engine to make it 64bit capable. It had to be a pretty significant undertaking.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man this new server sounds cool as hell, I haven't played much since Kunark and <What> was still around.

A server like this might bring me back, so will you still be earning AA's and stuff or will those also be maxed out?

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Mustang posted:

Man this new server sounds cool as hell, I haven't played much since Kunark and <What> was still around.

A server like this might bring me back, so will you still be earning AA's and stuff or will those also be maxed out?

Good question, and I'm not sure that they've answered it yet. The general focus of the server seems to be very much not about character progression in any serious way, so I'd guess AAs would be maxed or at least given a big chunk right from the start.

How do they handle AAs when you do a boosted character? Suspect it may be similar to that

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The Kael Drakkel server is now in beta:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/kael-drakkel-lore-and-legend-server-beta.603311/

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
So far, it's fun. No idea what the long term plans are for the server. You start with max AA's for a 90, full set of gear, and get to pick a crafting class to auto-level to 90 as well. There are gear upgrades, but those are very minimal so far. The server is definitely designed to just go and enjoy older content without having to worry about having gear, leveling, or anything.

There are a few issues like the lower levels completely draining your mana for each skill you use compared to the higher levels. Nothing really game breaking, yet. Overall, I'll enjoy it for a few months and go from there.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Anyone playing on Kael Drakkel? How is it?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Sarah posted:

Anyone playing on Kael Drakkel? How is it?

scaling is all over the place. Some mercenaries are outdpsing groups, heroic encounters can not be soloed except by specific classes or those with the OP mercs.

It is a good idea on paper, but the execution leaves a little to be desired.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Zil posted:

It is a good idea on paper, but the execution leaves a little to be desired.

EQ2 in a nutshell. Also 10/10 thread title.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Givin posted:

EQ2 in a nutshell. Also 10/10 thread title.

I was thinking about making a new thread for the upcoming TLE but :effort:

Oh and I plan on taking some time off work for the launch. If anyone wants to join us for questing / heroics during launch week hit us up (Jade Star, Fart Cannon, or myself)

Sarah fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 8, 2022

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

my absolute brain rot wants me to play eq2 but my time says no. :( i still peek in here and read every time someone posts though...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I have been having more fun in EQ just playing on FV and selling kronos to just twink out a ridiculous monk. Think I went from 1 to 51 in about 6 hours last night.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
New TLE Varsoon is launching May 24th.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Sarah posted:

Is there an announcement about server rules anywhere?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Zil posted:

Is there an announcement about server rules anywhere?

The FAQ is coming out May5th.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sarah posted:

Goddammit, lol.

By "New TLE" do you mean that they're going to start again from the beginning with no expansions like they did back when they did the first TLE all those years ago. Because if so I... I might actually jump back in for the sake of nostalgia.

e. Ah I found the FAQ, looks like rather than voting for new expansions a new one will pop automatically 3-4 months. Time to figure out how the hell to log into this game again I guess.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 14, 2022

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
yeah pretty much. but its gonna be a free trade server so... that'll be interesting? Sellable dungeon/raid loot just out on the brokers.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
Time to once again rekindle the ashes of <What>

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I ended up having to spin up a new account since I've long since lost access to the old email I used for my original account, and Daybreak won't let you submit a ticket to recover an account unless you login... which I couldn't do, because I don't have the account in the first place. :downs: At least I read that claim rewards are going to be largely disabled in the new TLE to keep an even playing field so no harm no foul I guess.

I have only ever really seriously played support and this time I swear I'm just gonna play DPS dammit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got an e-mail about the Varsoon server going live, is that currently on the Original game only right now?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I said come in! posted:

I got an e-mail about the Varsoon server going live, is that currently on the Original game only right now?

Yes it launched yesterday and is original only atm.

Though there is some stuff like all races are there and xp is different.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

How different is the XP? Better than kaladim?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Zil posted:

How different is the XP? Better than kaladim?

This is coming from somebody with zero classic experience but apparently the xp gains are significantly faster than it was in classic and the olds over on the official forums were pissy about it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Haruharuharuko posted:

This is coming from somebody with zero classic experience but apparently the xp gains are significantly faster than it was in classic and the olds over on the official forums were pissy about it.

Yes, yes :getin:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Haruharuharuko posted:

I am okay with this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Decided to make it especially old school on myself and am leveling in Freeport in The Thieves Way zone. I noticed you can start in Darklight Wood if you want, but that zone didn't launch with the original game as far as I can remember? It's a way better leveling zone to start with, but pffffffffffft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm definitely regretting going to Qeynos instead Frostfang sea. I figured hey I'll do the oldschool thing but man these old quests are... not good. Like I got the Fae ambassador quest and it just drops you in an instance where it expects you to take a group of three same leveled opponents and my squishy warlock cannot do that!!! Really missing the Faydark -> Butcherblock progression.

Might just reroll anyway since I'm not really clicking with warlock early. I swore I'd be DPS this time so maybe brig.

e. Yeah rolled a brig and ducked out of the tutorial island immediately to go to Darklight and it is night and day. Quest progression and the rewards are way better tuned.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 27, 2022