Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
drat, I'm tempted to start up again for Vado Sensim. Tsurupettan, what's your Enchanter situation like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Nice. I'll probably roll up a Warlock tonight and send that guy a tell.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is it cheating to use the Heirloom tablet? Because gently caress that quest. I've done the Prismatic line before for shits and giggles, so I won't be missing much if I can't catch up til DoF begins.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Got in Vado on my Warlock (Bohohoboprobono). I'm in no rush to do Shattered Lands content -- I've seen most of it before and it's nothing special -- but I definitely want to see DoF stuff.

Verranicus posted:

Aw, shoot. I don't suppose it's at all viable to grind out the plat needed to buy that in-game item that gives you a 30 day sub at all like it is in EVE?

Without broker access? Maybe if you have AoM and sell loot rights (SLR). Krono are up to ~2k last I checked, so just questing/looting alone seems non-viable (unless they truly cranked the amount of plat in AoM).

If you do have broker access, a self-sustaining subscription becomes more realistic.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Propagandist posted:

I apologize if this has already been answered: how is the skill/ability boat nowadays? Last I played was shortly after they introduced battlegrounds, so years ago. Maybe Ruins of Kunark? Back then, there were just far too many abilities, some of which were nigh identical. Have they consolidated it a bit?

Nope, it's only gotten worse.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

joshtothemaxx posted:

Vado is making cuts? That's weird and dumb. I just want experience classic content damnit, is that so hard to ask?

Most progression guilds collapse in VP. From what I saw of Vado, they're slated to collapse long before that due to bad leadership.

Is there still that table in the back of the guild hall for books with guild members' (E)RP backstories? When I saw the tale of the slave-born half-human half-arasi who was thrown out of Neriak because her powers were too great, I :yikes:'d my way straight back to FF14.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
They named him Dranosh

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

quote:

The Brief History of The Battle Mage Cloacca

This is simply a example A demo if you please. I plan to make myself a more i depth story Later in life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No one knows the exact origin of Cloacca, some say that she was raised as a slave to Orcs as a child in the Northern Wastes. Others say that she was a commoner with a wifely duties and a child of her own that was taken from her by death. This book has been written to give a full explanation to where the mysterious Cloacca truly originated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cloacca is a Arasai that grew up in the deepest parts of neriaks dungeon, Born into slavery by her mother, A low Arasi named Kahleesie, and her Mothers owner,The feared leader of Freeport, Lucan D'Lere. Fearing the power that this newborn Arasai/Human Hybrid contained he gave the child and its mother and the Orcish commanders that controlled the raiding force against Qeynos as a peace offering. Through Cloaccas younger life she grew up only fear, and pain. By the month of her 16th year, she had been training the dark arts of Warlocks and had mastered its abilities and led a slave revolt which in the end cost her the life of her mother. Her raid captured a small trading boat for which she used to sail to Qeynos. Being a Arasai that had practiced dark arts, she was immediatly rejected from Qeynos , and her hopes of being a civilian of Qeynos were ruined. With this Guilt, and despair she went and lived the next 6 years alone as a Pirate sailing the 5 sea's with only her crew of 4 Holding, and building hate towards her father for selling her and her mother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This feared Arasai now travels the seas waiting for the perfect opportunity to take revenge on her father and become the next heir of Freeport. To rule with a Iron fist. and to reek havoc upon all the orcs of the Northern Wastes.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm in for TLE. Not sure if I'll do PvE or PvP. I want PvP to be fun but then I remember Nagafen...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sarah posted:

PvP TLE will last a few weeks before it dies again. Players are already getting butthurt about everything.

This is probably more accurate based on the recent EQ1 attempt. Neverending demands from thousands of players who each have their own unique memory of what Everquest "was."

On the other hand:
-Lanch and DoF will be the only times it's anywhere near fair to actually level up on a PvP server unless the AA mechanics have dramatically changed. A level 19 twink in full mastercrafted/fabled with 100+ AA was unstoppable by anyone other than another level 19 in full mastercrafted/fabled with 100+ AA. Of course these type of players never fought eachother, instead just feeding on players in the newb zones. And then no one could figure out why PvP died.

-There's no Exile, so that whole way of gaming the system will be gone.

-There's no fast travel, so that bird-hopping bullshit will be gone too.

I'm mostly just worried about how stat-inflated gear will behave in PvP, and whether they'll allow transfers off to PvE or not.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Wow, this reeks of :effort:.

PvP sounds like it's roll Scout or die again, which is ironic because they say at the start of their issue list that they don't want this to be another Nagafen. Except that's all EQ2 PvP ever was: you played Scout and were given the perfect PvP kit (run speed, tracking, stealth, evac, chain armor, and gobs of CC and/or burst damage) or you were a class that only got a subset of that.

On top of that, they hosed casters in even more ways beyond Nagafen:

-There's a flat -30% physical mitigation debuff to everyone to make mobs harder, but no corresponding magic debuff.
-PvP versions of skills are gone, which is a direct nerf to Mages.
-Re-itemization has put Stamina on everything, and Stamina raises resists.

The only redeeming factor is Coercer comedy: all CC can last full duration in PvP, you just get twice the duration worth of immunity to that effect when it's done. This means you can Charm other players for up to five minutes straight.. If you get Charmed, the only way to break it is by using a Pumice Stone. Hope you bought a stack!

The abuse potential is in the stratosphere, and it sounds like a great time to be a Coercer considering they'll reverse that decision in a month. Granted the server will be long dead by then, but still.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

joshtothemaxx posted:

OP looks good! I'm getting excited for this dumb game and don't know why.

My huge level of skepticism is the noob zones. Are they expecting everyone to be level 20 by the end really? Thus rendering antonica and the commonlands useless?

According to the devs, no, you'll be expected to grind or quest in other zones.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Dirt posted:

Kinda thinking of being some kind of healer type or a Coercer. How are Fury's? What's the best "soloing healer" ?

Before AA, probably Fury. Wardens/Inquisitors don't become good soloers til subclass AAs, which is EoF, the third major expansion. But when they do get good, they get really good.

I'll make a Necromancer on PvE so I can play with you guys -- but if PvP doesn't suck I'll probably end up spending most of my time there.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Is there a class in this game that is extremely sought after for groups but also has no trouble soloing? It's been awhile and I can't remember. Not so sure if I want to go Necro after all.

Any class can solo. This will probably remain true even in TLE because gear is insanely bloated with perfect stats, as opposed to a pittance of haphazard combinations of stats irrelevant to your class on armor only equippable by your class.

The only classes I ever saw people beg for on AB were Bards and Enchanters. On TLE, I suspect non-Fury healers will be in short supply because of the lack of AA which turns them into soloing machines.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is there some reason Good/Evil wouldn't be able to play on the same side on PVE? I sort of want to be an Illusionist or Conjuror instead of a Necro, again.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
They buckled and added Exile back to PvP. So, ill see you guys in PvE. Sounds like they're fiddling with something to make all classes available on both sides, so I'll be going Illy.

e: Never mind, Enchanter isn't even one of the faction-restricted subclasses anymore. :downs:

boho fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 18, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sintor posted:

Gonna play this TLE thing but seriously infected by class selection analysis-paralysis. All the poo poo I love about most classes comes in AA form or spells (dispatch, jcap, overture, Inquis nuke->strike conversion, etc). Think I'm currently split between Dirge and Ranger (if they are like old rangers they can do some stupid things with the slowest bows still). Anything else have great utility outside of Bard/Illus/Coerc?

Your utility classes are Bards and Enchanters, plus kinda sorta maybe Rogues thanks to their debuffs.

Most of the Priests also get a small bit of utility which gets better with AA and expansions. Also a special mention for Druids and Sorcerers for their porting powers (which will probably see some actual demand due to greatly reduced travel ability and a more dangerous overworld).

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
In as Boho, an Illusionist. On the Isle of Refuge right now.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Also please tell me what crafting professions to pick and tell me how to play the game as a Necro please thank you.

-Carpentry

-Use Master-rank caster pet for everything

hth

fake e: seriously though, there is next to no strategy or thought involved in Summoners until AA. /pet attack and then press butan if it's lit up.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Uziduke posted:

I am going to reinstall EQ2 and try this progression server out, but I will be heading to the PVP side, anyone on the PVP side?

Nope.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
/who all Goone and ask whoever pops up for an invite. I'm pretty sure there's always at least one invite-enabled person on. I'm pretty sure I'm one of them, but I'm too lazy to read this thread as I play so you'll have to talk to me in-game to remind me.

fake e: my Illusionist is almost 15 :pcgaming:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sarah posted:

For the love of everything, someone please play chanter. Power regen is such a bitch. We would love to quest with a chanter.

My Illusionist is 20 and I'm a 19 Scholar going Sage.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
EQ2's original character models are one-way tickets to the uncanny valley. The only ones that aren't hideous claymation corpses are the beast races and Erudites, and Erudites only because they look like sectoids from X-Com.

The original zones are also pretty hideous since they're clearly trapped in "sequel to Everquest" zone design, and the draw distance and lighting effects that make Commonlands, Antonica, and Thundering Steppes look impressive for their time were not actually present at the time. Obelisk of Lost Souls might be the only cool zone in EQ2 at release.

E: And Solusek's Eye.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
After about three hours on the 20s I'm almost ready to shelve this til Faydwer. At least Butcherblock sweeps the will-sapping misery that is 20-30 under the rug.

Turns out the people who came to Stormhold were so hungry for groups that no one rolled DPS. Even as a goddamn Illusionist I've only managed to get a single group since hitting 20. My options right now appear to be limited to solo questing in Nek or TS, both of which are death sentences to my level of interest.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tai posted:

I was under the impression you can charm which is quite effective?

It used to be that Charm did what it said on the label -- you took control of a mob. This was Really Good because grabbing a ^^^ added an absurd amount of damage, especially if you grabbed an undercon that had a sick nuke or something. The mastery level of your Charm was how long it lasted/how frequently resist/break checks occurred. Illusionist pets were utter poo poo compared to this.

Then they decided, perhaps rightfully, that this was Too Good, and Charm got nerfed. You still took over a mob, but now it lost a chunk of its power proportional to the mastery level of your Charm. If you had Apprentice charm, you could expect a mob to be 20% as good as it was before it charmed. This scaled up to 80%-ish at Master. Charm was made more reliable, though -- I think this is when they made it always last its full duration. The mobs still kept their abilities though, so if you grabbed an undercon, you could still do a good deal of damage. Illusionist pets were on par with a regular mob being charmed, but worse than an undercon.

Then they decided, probably wrongly this time, that this was Too Good, and Charm got nerfed again. Now you no longer took over a mob, instead you just CC'd the mob for the duration of the time, and the mob inherited a generic Fighter, Mage, or Scout template. The mob kept its level and its stats were determined by the mastery level of Charm. This is essentially what Possess Essence already did -- they just kind of rolled Charm and PE into one. Around this time pets began to inherit their master's stats and the Illusionist pet pulled ahead of Charm (since Charmed mobs never really seemed to inherit much, if at all).

That was the state of Charm and Illusionist pet vs. Coercer pet about 3-4 years ago. I don't know if it's changed since.

Tai posted:

Could always roll a DPS class or even better, an SK/Pally!

I might reroll DPS, though Summoners are hilariously overplayed and I never really liked any of the Scouts I tried. Maybe Warlock? I had one on live and liked it more than Wizard, though both are criminally boring before AA.

And gently caress tanking in EQ2.

Sarah posted:

This server needs a channel for people who just want to sit and argue all day every day.

It's called General.

boho fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 6, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

The Bramble posted:

Uh oh, are the other superfriends (Randyll and November) jumping ship as well? I'll no doubt be in the same position in 30 levels - wanting to raid, but the goon guild probably not being big enough to realistically do it alone.

Are you new to goon guilds? Splintering by the third week is completely expected.

e: Also somebody invite my new Wizard (sorry Warlock, your DPS blows til Kunark) to the guild. Name is Conflagrate.

boho fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 7, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

jabro posted:

I just made a Warlock. Are they really that bad until later expansions?

Yes and no.

Wizards are supposed to be kings of single target, Warlocks are supposed to be kings of encounter target. Thing is, raids are designed around killing single mobs, not killing encounters full of mobs. Warlocks are a solution looking for a problem.

In modern group settings, anything ^^ or under melts and who cares, and anything ^^^ or higher is a single target. Warlock is again at a slight disadvantage, but not so bad that you or anyone else will ever notice or care about.

Your single target damage starts to catch up starting around EOF thanks in large part to Focused Casting, though you really reach parity in Kunark when you get your mythical epic, which gives you a clicky that converts your encounter spells to single-target and raises their damage by 30%. Post-Kunark Warlocks only get better and better (and more and more different from Wizards).

Thing is, comparing Warlock to Wizard is like comparing Little Man to Fat Boy. In the end they're both still city-leveling atomic bombs.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

jabro posted:

I just made a Warlock. Are they really that bad until later expansions?

In the interest of full disclosure, I got my Wizard to 15 before missing Warlock so much that I had to betray. Fire and Ice is just so loving boring.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I should have my betrayal to Warlock finished tonight. Sure, my DPS might be worse, but my spell effects are cooler. :pcgaming:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

DeathSandwich posted:

Are summoners being top dps right now a factor of where we are at level 50 with no AA, or are they in fact kind of sleeper awesome?

Summoners are awesome on live, and some of that awesomeness bleeds over to TLE due to :ussr: :soe:

...we really need a :daybreak:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is boxing against the rules now?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
All because of Sprout.

RIP Sprout 2015-2015.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sydin posted:

I'm dying doing 20-29 on my Inq. I know it kinda defeats the whole point of "TLE is so fun!", but trying to slog through the TS quest-line is really making me miss Butcherblock.

I'm right there with you. My plan is to grind instances in that range if possible: the content is just too lovely.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tsurupettan posted:

speaking of pvp servers, nagafen is being merged into pve servers :lol:

Golly I sure bet those five players are going to be upset

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sydin posted:

Are there really that many problem players that they need to boot up a whole new server just to act as an account prison?

Well they had to do something with Nagafen.

EQ2 Australia sounds like a funny idea, but unless they also step up enforcement dramatically I don't see how this is anything but a publicity stunt combined with a clumsy way to drain a final $15 from otherwise banned players.

Now if they implemented a 1-client-per-IP restriction on all but one server, that would be hilarious.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sarah posted:

There's already been a discussion about this in botting chat, and already have a way around it if it comes to that. Sorry to burst your e-bubble.

There's always a way around anything, but that's such a goony point to make. It would still dramatically cut down on the boxing population if they did it. Combine that with GM spot checking and player reporting and you get that coverage up even further. See Project 99 for details.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Givin posted:

Also someone just compared it to a concentration camp on page 6. We just need someone to post a Simpsons torch and pitchfork gif and this thread is done.
Technically it's a gulag.

I mean, is anyone else completely unsurprised that the first thing the Russians do is consolidate everything and build a prison camp?

boho fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 20, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tsurupettan posted:

BohoPeople ruin everything. :mad:

No I still ruin everything, just not this one.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
My laptop died so I've been away from EQ2, but despite only being 20 or so I'm still voting Yes.

Speaking of being 20, are people still doing grind groups in Splitpaw and Vampire Diaries or whatever? The quality of 20-30 content is just so piss poor that I'd rather watch Netflix and press butan until I can get to stuff that's enjoyable to solo (for some reason I really liked Feerrott, and the redesigned Lavastorm/Everfrost are just gravy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I had intended to return to TLE during EoF but it looks like I missed that boat. I guess I forgot that the EQ2 servers aligned with EQ1's Ragefire/Lockjaw and not Phinigel.

As for :daybreak: I'm sure Live's limited time Public Quests that are level agnostic have nothing to do with WoW's limited time Public Quests that are level agnostic.