Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Why do people keep talking about the souls games in a metroidvania thread

It's the thread for Good Game Genres now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Souls-Like

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

I feel like that has a totally different implication

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rediscover posted:

lmao if there are really people who think dark souls is a metroidvania. from my understanding, a metroidvania is a game about exploring and killing where you start out with very little freedom of movement and lovely weapons and there are lots of areas you cant access, but by the end of the game you're flipping around and grappling and sliding and poo poo all over the place and it feels loving awesome

i'm not in love with the term metroidvania tbh, but it is one of my fav genres

same

There has to be items and powers you collect though gettingstronger as you progress otherwise it's just a platformer.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
finding a new powerup that is a gamechanger is the best feeling

speed booster, morph ball, spacejump

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Everyday before I sleep I pray that there will be a new Wario Land game. Hopefully for the Wii U.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I want to play Shadow Complex again but I don't want to hook up my 360. Please advise.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Givin posted:

I want to play Shadow Complex again but I don't want to hook up my 360. Please advise.

i want a 360 emulator just so i can play shadow complex

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

i want a 360 emulator just so i can play shadow complex

360s are pretty cheap now tbh. You can probably find a good deal on like Ebay for one.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

They should just make a PC version of Shadow Complex.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wootman posted:

360s are pretty cheap now tbh. You can probably find a good deal on like Ebay for one.

maybe when they're like 20 dollars i'll pick one up to play through shadow complex and halo 4

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Heart Forth, Alicia looks super rad.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Princess Daisy: Help!

Samus: What a terrible night to have a curse.

Horrible

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

You stand on the city of disaster, the Beast City.
The only way to survive is...
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

finding a new powerup that is a gamechanger is the best feeling

speed booster, morph ball, spacejump

yeah. I hate it when like 50% of your progression come from finding glorified keycards instead of new abilities.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

You stand on the city of disaster, the Beast City.
The only way to survive is...
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED.

Character : taciturn

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600032&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post423978975

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I like Knytt stories and within a deep forest

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I also played and maybe beat an untitled story, but I can't recommend it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
the only good metroidvania games are the actual castlevanias imho

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

rediscover posted:

from my understanding, a metroidvania is a game about exploring and killing where you start out with very little freedom of movement and lovely weapons and there are lots of areas you cant access, but by the end of the game you're flipping around and grappling and sliding and poo poo all over the place and it feels loving awesome

I don't know how far you got in Dark Souls, but that's a somewhat accurate description of it...

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

rediscover posted:

lmao if there are really people who think dark souls is a metroidvania. from my understanding, a metroidvania is a game about exploring and killing where you start out with very little freedom of movement and lovely weapons and there are lots of areas you cant access, but by the end of the game you're flipping around and grappling and sliding and poo poo all over the place and it feels loving awesome

i'm not in love with the term metroidvania tbh, but it is one of my fav genres

like Prototype

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I don't know how far you got in Dark Souls, but that's a somewhat accurate description of it...

As much as it's a description of every video game with anything remotely resembling character progression. I mean, if that's your criteria for a metroidvania then whatever. But that's a pointless definition because everything falls under it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Silver Striker posted:

As much as it's a description of every video game with anything remotely resembling character progression. I mean, if that's your criteria for a metroidvania then whatever. But that's a pointless definition because everything falls under it.
Metroidvanias have bosses, items, and actions that correspond to button presses. So does Dark Souls.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You start out in Dark Souls with poor mobility and equipment, and by the end, you have poor mobility and equipment with slightly higher numbers. True progress.

Dec 26, 2012

buzzsaw.gif posted:

the only truly accurate part is areas that get unlocked. people lump it into metroidvania because it's the closest way to describe the interconnected map (because most games give either a corridor or a full open world nowadays) but its really not that, and if it is one it's a really poo poo one because all of the area unlocks are done with literal gateways rather than giving you a noticeably gamechanging thing like metroid or whatever does

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, the only Metroidvania part of Dark Souls is arguably the level design.
Then again, what parts of a game define it as a Metroidvania? The level design seems like an awfully large contributor.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The defining part is that Metroidvanias are designed around Oddly Shaped Keys that all either function as weapons or mobility improvements or both.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Great Joe posted:

The defining part is that Metroidvanias are designed around Oddly Shaped Keys that all either function as weapons or mobility improvements or both.
President Evil is my favorite metroguevania.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Here's my shot: Metroidvanias are games that, giving the player the most powerful state he/she can expect to reach in a normal walkthru, the standard key milestone order (bosses, abilities, etc) don't respect the same order as the physical distance of player traversal from the starting point of the game.

In other words, assuming that the player has all keys, abilities and anything else that the game can be reasonably expected to give to the player to augment his power, some challenges or key points that happen later in the game will take less time to reach from the starting point of the game. How these areas are gated doesn't really impact anything under this definition, but the Metroid approach of giving new skills to act as gates is pretty popular.

By "time to reach", go with traversal distances - warps don't count since they cheat for traversal length.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 24, 2015

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

so... if ISIS captured you & forced you to pick between Metroid or Castlevania.. which would you choose?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

so... if ISIS captured you & forced you to pick between Metroid or Castlevania.. which would you choose?

Metroid.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

castlevania here

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The best Metroids are better than the best Castlevania, but there are way more Castlevanias with better quality consistency. Gonna go with Castlevania, ISIS.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Metroid.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The terrorists' game is the only one I refuse to play. I choose both.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Castlevania

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Which Castlevania? If it's Castlevania 3 or 1 then hell yeah motherbitches, but I don't think I can beat Castlevania 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

castlevania here

Hell I can respect that

• Locked thread