Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only castlevanias I've played are the DS ones. Has SotN held up well? Might play that soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The only castlevanias I've played are the DS ones. Has SotN held up well? Might play that soon

SotN is still really good and my favorite of the modern Castlevania games. 1 and 3 are really epic, 4 is good but somewhat different, and I haven't played the others that much. 2 isn't horrible but even with the romhack that fixes a lot of the bad poo poo it's still not amazing.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
metroidvanias are basically rpgs

Dec 26, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

so... if ISIS captured you & forced you to pick between Metroid or Castlevania.. which would you choose?

original castlevania over original metroid, metroid over castlevania if we're talking the whole series

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

so... if ISIS captured you & forced you to pick between Metroid or Castlevania.. which would you choose?

metroid

ive tried several castlevania games and they feel like a mess in comparison

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yeah it holds up nicely because it's mostly pixel art. it has a couple funky ps1-3d effects here and there. play the actual ps1 version and not the 360 port, which removes everything but the gameplay

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

conceitedguy posted:

Using the word "retard" as an insult is very offensive.

This, unironically.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Morkyz posted:

This, unironically.

gently caress off retard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wootman posted:

gently caress off retard

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

metroid hands down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rediscover posted:

lmao if there are really people who think dark souls is a metroidvania. from my understanding, a metroidvania is a game about exploring and killing where you start out with very little freedom of movement and lovely weapons and there are lots of areas you cant access, but by the end of the game you're flipping around and grappling and sliding and poo poo all over the place and it feels loving awesome

i'm not in love with the term metroidvania tbh, but it is one of my fav genres

wow, dark souls would be awesome if at the end of it you could be hopping around and zipping across the landscapes like you're the prince of persia on crack instead of just have better weapons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

metroid hands down.

Either choice would be made hands down

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
rogue legacy kinda tries to be one but its not very good at it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I Said No posted:

rogue legacy kinda tries to be one but its not very good at it

it's not a metroidvania at all. it's a roguelite/platformer really

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
Isn't there an Alien game on the gba thats a metroidvania? is metroidvania a noun

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Actually, stuff in the vein of Mario are the best platformers. See ya later OP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hell I would go so far as to say that SOTN-style Castlevanias are about as crappy as platformers as something with controls that are still good can be.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Actually, stuff in the vein of Mario are the best platformers. See ya later OP.

Wormskull posted:

Hell I would go so far as to say that SOTN-style Castlevanias are about as crappy as platformers as something with controls that are still good can be.

Thank you.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

this sentence makes no drat sense but i'm pretty sure i disagree with it

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

rediscover posted:

this sentence makes no drat sense but i'm pretty sure i disagree with it

Castlevania post-SOTN, decent controls aside, are bad platformers, however good of exploration games or action RPGs or whatever they may be.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Imagine if SOTN didn't have the RPG elements. You'd rather play Castlevania 1 through 4, guaranteed. The only thing that even redeems the platforming in those games is playing as Richter but you have to unlock him usually, and even then there's Rondo of Blood or, again, the earlier ones are probably better also.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, actually the platforming itself is nothing to write home about.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And don't get me wrong since I think Aria of Sorrow for example is awesome, but there's nothing about traversing geometry in that game that's particularly compelling to me, and even counting the enemies the platforming is so uhhh guided or rigid or whatever, it's designed such that unless your doing something extremely unintentional, you'll be platforming it the same as every other person ever and not because anything is demanding technically.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Metroid is maybe a little better about it but not by much.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I never really played a Metroid so I can't comment on that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Alucard is Doki Doki Panic backwards.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Castlevania can have fun platforming but it's mostly more about the enemy placement than anything else.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They should make a sequel to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and do it like a metroidzeldavania.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
say castlevania, demand III, and then when they bring you III rant about the differences between the jp and us versions and grant's shank knife v. throwing dagger and the sound chip differences and then run off while they're asleep from boredom

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Metroid is maybe a little better about it but not by much.

i would say super metroid at least is a good deal more technical than SOTN. mockballing, walljumping, speed booster, morph ball all add a lot to the game. speedruns of that game really show that aspect of it off well.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

Imagine if SOTN didn't have the RPG elements. You'd rather play Castlevania 1 through 4, guaranteed. The only thing that even redeems the platforming in those games is playing as Richter but you have to unlock him usually, and even then there's Rondo of Blood or, again, the earlier ones are probably better also.

oh totally. SOTN kicks major rear end and is my fav castlevania but not because of the platforming. but also thats like saying 'you wouldnt play minecraft if you couldnt build whatever you want', the rpg elements are sort of the whole point

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sotn is really fun once you clear it and put in the luck cheat (or i guess download a memory card that already has that stuff unlocked). that way the game is actually sort of hard (at the start) and makes you use stuff like spells and subweapons. if you avoid using stuff like the crissaegrim and ring of varda it says hard throughout.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I never really played a Metroid so I can't comment on that.

Have you never played Super Metroid at least? That's surprising.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

rediscover posted:

oh totally. SOTN kicks major rear end and is my fav castlevania but not because of the platforming. but also thats like saying 'you wouldnt play minecraft if you couldnt build whatever you want', the rpg elements are sort of the whole point

Well the OP says "The best platformers", which if it's including those kinds of Castlevanias, is a huge No.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

conceitedguy posted:

Have you never played Super Metroid at least? That's surprising.

I played like 5 minutes of it but the thought of backtracking and stuff wore on my senses second by second and I had to stop playing it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And yea I know, it's probably a lot like Castlevania so why didn't I. Well, I just wasn't in the mood for that at the time so.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

There's not really much backtracking at all in Super Metroid really.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

conceitedguy posted:

There's not really much backtracking at all in Super Metroid really.

I think at the time I found it really tedious to have to shoot doors and have to look at doors I knew I would need a different weapon to be able to shoot, and it wasn't the right time for me to play a game like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The original LoK: Soul Reaver was probably my favorite of the Metroidvanias.

• Locked thread