Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
vania, definitely vania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

sector_corrector posted:

stats, random drops, character building
so stuff that was never in castlevania

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

ps+ is giving away Apotheon this tuesday.

looks like a metroidvania set on a black-figure amphora.

it looks like garbage

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Jackard posted:

so stuff that was never in castlevania

THese things were in a number of Castlevania games starting with SYmphony of the Night, along with a large non-linear map to explore with movement-expanding items. Simon's Quest was a precursor of this style of Castlevania, with SOTN firmly establishing this secondary tendency as distinct from the 'traditional' Castlevania series.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

conceitedguy posted:

THese things were in a number of Castlevania games starting with SYmphony of the Night, along with a large non-linear map to explore with movement-expanding items. Simon's Quest was a precursor of this style of Castlevania, with SOTN firmly establishing this secondary tendency as distinct from the 'traditional' Castlevania series.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

'alucard' is 'dark souls' backwards :eng101:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

'alucard' is 'dark souls' backwards :eng101:

And this just made me think that Dracula's lazy son-naming is preferable to naming all your kids some variant of Gwyn.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroid for me

ive played the GBA and DS castlevania games which are supposedly the better ones and it just didn't click. theres a reason metroid is the first word in metroidvania ;)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Order of Ecclesia is really loving good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I don't really like OoE and my favorite DS Castlevania is Portrait of Ruin. I respect your opinion and ask only that you do the same.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I never finished PoR but maybe I should someday. Order of Ecclesia has my favorite hard mode in gaming history.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Judgment really hosed up Shanoa but then it hosed up everything I just wish Japan could maintain a decent female character for once instead of turning them into anime poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Uncle Wemus posted:

Judgment really hosed up Shanoa but then it hosed up everything I just wish Japan could maintain a decent female character for once instead of turning them into anime poo poo

thats cool

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

theres a reason metroid is the first word in metroidvania ;)
Castlemetroid

castleroid

the roids

Dec 26, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

i like that design

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

conceitedguy posted:

Simon's Quest was a precursor of this style of Castlevania, with SOTN firmly establishing this secondary tendency as distinct from the 'traditional' Castlevania series.
yes the game everyone calls garbage seems like a worthy foundation for an entire series

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Jackard posted:

yes the game everyone calls garbage seems like a worthy foundation for an entire series

It was a failed experiment that furnished ideas that were later developed by more competent game designers. I think you're being intentionally and pointlessly antagonistic, and I shant ever respond to you again. Farewell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Jackard posted:

Someone needs a diaper change. Oh wait. It's just your posts. You mess with the bull you get the horns you turd. gently caress off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

conceitedguy posted:

it looks like garbage

thanks for the reality check.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

what they did to Maria is pretty inexcusable.

speaking of Maria, she's Jojo as poo poo in SOTN

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aria of sorrow was my favorite castlevania but I haven't played them all, including most of sotn.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Someone needs a diaper change. Oh wait. It's just your posts. You mess with the bull you get the horns you turd. gently caress off.

Lol

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ralp posted:

aria of sorrow was my favorite castlevania but I haven't played them all, including most of sotn.

Aria of Sorrow was definitely very good. Nice choice.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ralp posted:

I'll never forgive you for what you did to Dark Tzitzimine, but hell... your taste in games ain't half bad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ralp posted:

you should really play sotn, ralp

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
which is better: aria of sorrow, or dawn? i've played dawn, i haven't played aria.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I feel like Aria is a little bit better, but both are good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I liked Aria's art style more and the touch screen sealing symbols or whatever in Dawn weren't very good. They're both really fun games though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've only played through SOTN. a lot of the time i decide i want an item, spend some time grinding to get it, and then get bored and quit

this is making me want to play through super metroid again. it's probably been at least ten years since i've played it, so i could do a pseudo-blind run

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

this is making me want to play through super metroid again. it's probably been at least ten years since i've played it, so i could do a pseudo-blind run

I only ever play it like that which is why I am only uhh 91% enthusiastic about the map design instead of 100% like other posters. Was that even in this thread? there are at least three metroid threads going in this forum alone.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ralp posted:

I only ever play it like that which is why I am only uhh 91% enthusiastic about the map design instead of 100% like other posters. Was that even in this thread? there are at least three metroid threads going in this forum alone.

That's the beauty of Imp Zone. You pick which thread, suits you.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i've actually never played SoTN but have it on my ps3 i should really get to it someday

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wormskull posted:

That's the beauty of Imp Zone. You pick which thread, suits you.

or which suits zoq

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

aria of sorrow owns. i was gonna play dawn of sorrow a few months ago but realized like 20 minutes in that i had already played it and beat it like a year or two ago. it was fun but an entirely forgettable experience

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
super metroid is as good as i remember so far. i just beat kraid, and i'm working through norfair. it's a little more linear than i remember, but maybe it opens up later in the game?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

super metroid is as good as i remember so far. i just beat kraid, and i'm working through norfair. it's a little more linear than i remember, but maybe it opens up later in the game?

instead of fighting kraid, you could've just gone for ridley

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

sector_corrector posted:

it's open from the very beginning if you know what you're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

if you're going by the intended path it's linear yeah but there's a shitload of ways to gently caress around with the game sequencing. it's not about being non-linear, it's about the level design and items letting you do crazy poo poo once you start getting good at the systems and about exploring

• Locked thread