Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Replicant

how did anyone ever think a unit that can copy any other unit that you can see was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

i like the sc2 reaver design, too bad it wasn't used

this looks fuckin pimp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

i like the sc2 reaver design, too bad it wasn't used

^looks really loving pimp also lol at why they removed it:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Reaver posted:

The Reaver was fully replaced by the Colossus because the Colossus required the same tech but was superior in mobility, hitpoints and needed less micro to handle
tldr; babby protoss couldn't handle microing it so they got the colossus instead loving lmao

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also yeah, I told y'all that new units would be getting added/removed/changed

Don't panic IMPs, LotV gonna own

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

^looks really loving pimp also lol at why they removed it:

tldr; babby protoss couldn't handle microing it so they got the colossus instead loving lmao

Christ

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also yeah, I told y'all that new units would be getting added/removed/changed

Don't panic IMPs, LotV gonna own

I want them to do batshit stuff constantly so I can watch it develop

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
"today we decided to give scvs burrow. we dont know why. here's what happened in testing."

that kind of thing.

more stupid ideas for them to try:
give zerglings a cliffjump ability as an alt to speed upgrade
put the Diamondback from story mode in but make its laser a debuff instead of a damage thing

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 17, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Zergling cliff jump would be hilarious.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i was joking but the idea's growing on me, i'd legit be mixed on which to get depending on what enemies i was against and it sounds easy to counter but also good

a lot of my zergling effectiveness comes from hit and run and having slower zerglings once they're in the base would hurt but being able to get into bases without being picked apart by defenses would be good, too

smythe congrats on the ik thing if that was real

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Larry Parrish posted:

Zergling cliff jump would be hilarious.

Every Korean (read; worth while) tourney is now all zerg all the time

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
zerg keeps kicking the poo poo out of me. i think the only way ive ever won is desperately trying to copy supernovas timing attack. he does thing thihc where hell reaper expand, then start cranking hellions and harassing a bit and also harassing with banshees. behind that he builds a armory. the moment thearmory finishes he brings the banshgees around to meet the (NOT DEAD, STILL ALIVE) hellions and transforms into hellbats. pulls the marines hes been casually making at home and hits the front with like 2 banhees and a handful of hellbatmen and marines. its rly hard to stop.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
should note it hits at a strange timing.like right before? after? a typical lair is done. so even if theyre hoarding mins/gas for a big muta pump they just die. the hellbats totally own any and all lings instantly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Every Korean (read; worth while) tourney is now all zerg all the time

i wish starcraft had divergent metas. everyone not korean just copies the koreans and everyone korean just does the same tired stuff over and over.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Larry Parrish posted:

i wish starcraft had divergent metas. everyone not korean just copies the koreans and everyone korean just does the same tired stuff over and over.

this is why i don't pay attention to competitive anything

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Larry Parrish posted:

There actually are some wonky strats with the top tier players that pop up in long series. The problem is that instead of something like ##mass reapers into battle cruisers## its usually something like ##holy gently caress this timing attack hits 35 seconds earlier bynot gettimg a conventional upgrade##

And that second thing is actually really loving cool when like, Bomber does it against Life. But to people who aren't total sc2 spergs, it doesn't look that different.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

this is why i don't pay attention to competitive anything

At a certain point, the developers have to make a balanced RTS. Trying to have every strategy be viable is a fools errand.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i really like the concept of imba league

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

At a certain point, the developers have to make a balanced RTS. Trying to have every strategy be viable is a fools errand.

nerfs and buffs and patches and poo poo. forever. keep people on their toes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There actually are some wonky strats with the top tier players that pop up in long series. The problem is that instead of something like ##mass reapers into battle cruisers## its usually something like ##holy gently caress this timing attack hits 35 seconds earlier bynot gettimg a conventional upgrade##

And that second thing is actually really loving cool when like, Bomber does it against Life. But to people who aren't total sc2 spergs, it doesn't look that different.

That's what im talking about, it's literally not even a different strategy, it's just trading an upgrade for a slightly faster attack but meanwhile their general strategy is still completely the same as before.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
our hero supernoa is in the midst of an insane tvz superlategame and its ownage http://www.twitch.tv/ogssupernova

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol game clock is 25 mins but i guess when uplay like these guys 25 mins IS super lategame. unreal

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Smythe posted:

our hero supernoa is in the midst of an insane tvz superlategame and its ownage http://www.twitch.tv/ogssupernova

jfc i would just stop at some point

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i lovr to watch supernova. between his extreme speed and excellenty folded shirts im just rly into it.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
warcraft > stra craft

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

jfc i would just stop at some point

When koreans get to super late game, it's because there was a razor balance between the two in a struggle of perfect macro and epic micro.

When foreigners get to super late game, it's because they're little brats turtling up to mech and swarm hosts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my friend gretorp

hes back

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

my signed starcraft collectors edition boxes really are the perfect accessories for this ikea book case

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wcs eu is on r/n

http://www.twitch.tv/wcs

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
iem fail

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Smythe posted:

iem fail

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
My strategy is to build 2 seige tanks at a time wtih a small amount of marines. I'm good at Human.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another modern sci-fi rts, ,, planetary annihilation, based off of total annihilation, is OK; it's no total annihilation and has a horrible reputation for being 'released' with basically 90% of the game being extremely unoptomized garbage, including a laggy menu. however, that said, they've actually kept patching it so its pretty ok now.

the singleplayer is still pretty annoying when you have no superweapons besides nukes or orbital anything. so instead of using the unit cannon or orbital units to get a beachhead and teleport in your army, you have to turtle up and spam missiles and hope you eventually hit someone. this map im playing only has 4 metal deposits per planet so this is agonizingly slow. i had a second planets worth but then the ai built a million anchors above it and welp.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah... Nah.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's OK.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Eh... it's just that if I want to play TA I've still got my original discs, or I can play Supreme Commander, which is also quite good.

Right now I'm playing WC3 while I wait for SC2 to go on sale and man I forgot how fun this game is. I'm on the mission where Cenarius tells you to suck a fat one while he smashes all your bases. Has blizzard said if they're ever going to make another Warcraft game that isn't some lovely MMO?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
$20 is as low as sc2's campaign is gonna get probably, even when lotv comes out

i really like the sc2 campaign mission gimmicks

story mode medic is really good but medevac has it beat in a bunch of ways even though i hated not having medic at first. i don't know how hellbats stack up vs firebats in playstyle because i dont play terran and i havent played in a long time, and last time i played they still required transformation servos to not be dune buggy

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It's been half-off once before but I couldn't buy it during the sale because I was away and didn't have internet access. I still live in hope.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i tried playing this game and after the placement games i got into gold league. i then proceeded to get horribly stomped over and over, except for one game where my opponent left immediately. it was a miserable experience. at least the campaign was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

babypolis posted:

i tried playing this game and after the placement games i got into gold league. i then proceeded to get horribly stomped over and over, except for one game where my opponent left immediately. it was a miserable experience. at least the campaign was cool

SC2 Single Player owns. The player can choose what levels to do, the player can choose their tech trees, and unlike multiplayer basically any strategy the player wants to do is viable.

SC2 Multiplayer is a hellscape of trials and tribulations. A sisyphean task of always winning 50% of your games. But it also owns. We imps ladder not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

• Locked thread