Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

That custom game list posted:

The battle.net experience.scm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
rts games are too stressful for me op

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have Achron, the time travel poo poo is incredibly cool and works pretty well, but it's hard to wrap your head around. In a good way, when you figure something out you feel really smart.

The game itself is the jankiest thing I have ever played.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i just remembered that blizzard is making a new game with new ip.

axiom or something like that,..?f.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i just remembered that blizzard is making a new game with new ip.

axiom or something like that,..?f.

Overwatch?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Falsum posted:

Overwatch?

yea that haha i was pretty mistaken!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

overwatch will be really bad and horribly unbalanced for about 9 months until the first patch, where they remove terrible ideas that shouldn't have made it out of beta and fans will go "omg blizzard is the best"

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I was really unimpressed by the Overwatch trailer but several of my friends who hate modern gaming were really excited for it? It was a weird experience. It'd be cool if they could pull it off but I'm not expecting much.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it was a cool cartoon can't wait for the full feature

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm excited for Overwatch, the art style looks nice and I need something new to play after TF2 went to poo poo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wootman posted:

I'm excited for Overwatch, the art style looks nice and I need something new to play after TF2 went to poo poo.

https://www.quakelive.com

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I play that too

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is the single player mode also free?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Heran Bago posted:

Is the single player mode also free?

I think you get the first five Wings of Liberty missions for free. Gotta pay to get the whole campaign, that much is certain.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
If you make it through the five missions and want more, get it and keep your progress. If you get bored, don't!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I really liked the Wings of Liberty campaign. Are the other ones good?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
does sc2 have as many custom games as broodwar. I want to play lurker D

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Heart of the Swarm starts out cool but I only played the first mission.

There's a bonus thing if you try to zerg rush with your drones.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

heart of the swarm is amazing because you can get really overpowered upgrades for your units

you can make zerglings spawn 3 at a time instead of 2 for the same resource cost, roaches that spawn more roaches when they kill things, hydralisks that can essentially use stimpaks, etc.

the missions themselves are also real fun

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like that the crazy conspiracy theory dude who said zerglings died if they touched lemon juice was right and there's a little footnote on the zergling page about it

i like overpowered upgrades but i really like it when my opponents can still cope. is this the case

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i like that the crazy conspiracy theory dude who said zerglings died if they touched lemon juice was right and there's a little footnote on the zergling page about it

i like overpowered upgrades but i really like it when my opponents can still cope. is this the case

if you set it to hard or extreme they most certainly can. it's not a health upgrade or anything either, you will run into different poo poo

in one of the early missions you're assaulting this terran base while also defending your own with turrets and stuff. on normal mode i p much just waltzed right in with a giant zergling army, but in hard they had deployed siege tanks and THORs and poo poo, it was pretty scary

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

I have always sucked at StarCraft somehow, so I struggled in a few spots but for the most part I didn't have any problems. The last few levels for both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were challenging for me. I tried a few levels on the hard mode and couldn't do it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i really love missions like the one where you are underground controlling Steadman/Tychus/Raynor/Cool Guy who's Not a Dwarf But Likes Robots and Is Short And Dwarfy

i'd play a whole game like that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

i really love missions like the one where you are underground controlling Steadman/Tychus/Raynor/Cool Guy who's Not a Dwarf But Likes Robots and Is Short And Dwarfy

i'd play a whole game like that

The installation missions in StarCraft and Brood War were extremely good.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so wait is SC2 free or "free" like where you have to buy the campaigns individually

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The installation mission in Mass Recall is cool because you can pull some crazy shenanigans to make your SCV carrying the beacon completely invincible and the mission ends if it touches the end, whether or not it makes any sense at all that it got there.

Mass Recall also lets you play through the missions where you storm a base as Raynor/Kerrigan in a new third person action mode. It's really awful but it's really cool. Awfcool.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

heart of the swarm is amazing because you can get really overpowered upgrades for your units

you can make zerglings spawn 3 at a time instead of 2 for the same resource cost, roaches that spawn more roaches when they kill things, hydralisks that can essentially use stimpaks, etc.

the missions themselves are also real fun

That sounds really cool I will have to check it out some time.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Frog Act posted:

so wait is SC2 free or "free" like where you have to buy the campaigns individually

It's free in the same way that shareware games from the 90s were free.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

captain hector flys in frame every 45 minutes and tells you to buy the legit version?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Frank Horrigan posted:

i can play until the trial period expires, then uninstall and reinstall to reset the timer?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
The mulitplayer is free the single player is cuts off and who cares about the single player.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The single player is good, actually.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i can play until the trial period expires, then uninstall and reinstall to reset the timer?

I was thinking more like Doom and Commander Keen's model of getting the first few parts of the game for free.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Frank Horrigan posted:

I was thinking more like Doom and Commander Keen's model of getting the first few parts of the game for free.

god I loved that, my childhood didn't involve the full version of any games except for rare cases

I played the whole Commander Keen series, episodes 1 and 4, and the first chunk of Exile 3 a billion times.

My dad traded some floppies to a dude in a parking lot for a pirated Doom 2 and being able to pick episode 2 made me feel like the wealthiest gamer

If they'd released all three parts of Starcraft 2 at the same time, making Terran free would have used Ye Olde Shareware Model perfectly.

and also not done bnet 2.0 like huge loving idiots

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

each sc2 campaign is probably longer than the sc1 campaigns combined

there are also some pretty sick cutscenes. i mean the story is a joke but watching a line of siege tanks blow up a horde of zerg in Pixar quality CGI is loving cool

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

each sc2 campaign is probably longer than the sc1 campaigns combined

there are also some pretty sick cutscenes. i mean the story is a joke but watching a line of siege tanks blow up a horde of zerg in Pixar quality CGI is loving cool

i liked going back to the sc1 campaign in the sc2 engine just because of how fast you get new toys to play with

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i liked going back to the sc1 campaign in the sc2 engine just because of how fast you get new toys to play with

wait what

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/starcraft-mass-recall/

jesus they've done a lot since last time i played, last time i played you had to have a completely different mod set for the Protoss campaign

the only thing that doesn't work is FMVs and that's probably just because they can't be assed to deal with them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The gameplay in the campaigns is really loving good and actually varied in difficulty levels. Like the imper said before, it's not just making enemy units a health sponge or something. They get different stuff, do different strategies and it's awesome. A lot of the early RTS's campaigns were comprised of generic scenarios over and over. And they basically just use the same units as multiplayer. SC2 owns because 1) Basically all of the levels in the SC2 campaigns have some unique quirk/gimmick that makes it a unique gaming experience. And 2) there are unique units/techs that aren't in multiplayer. Throw on that the technology/evolution paths, the dope cut scenes, and the crisp gameplay it's just too much loving fun. I know I have been touting this game a lot in this thread but this such a drat good drat.

The story is hot garbage though. Kerrigan and Raynor are teenage lover idiots and there's one level in HotS where Kerrigan gets into a DBZ-style kamehameha blast battle with a psychic dead alien.

• Locked thread