Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Helsing posted:

Conceptually, MIGF 's approach to foreign policy is to pretend that the USA is playing one of those old 4X computer games like Civilization or Master of Orion.

Rhetorically his strategy seems to be predicated on the hope that people will be so caught up in how morally repugnant his ideas are that their brains will freeze up with outrage before they have time to realize how patently ridiculous he is being. He wants you to debate the ethics of genocide rather than thinking too hard about how logistically impossible and strategically stupid it would be to actually follow through on such a ridiculous proposition.

There are numerous reasons that the Geostrategic calculations that drove the foreign policies of the ancient Assyrians or Romans would not be viable today but "force" or "power" being on the "wrong side of history" are not among them.

No, I flustered MIGF when I took a directly realist position. He actually takes a very distinct position that is far from realism when you pick at him on certain issues. His repugnance is his bankrupt logic, because an America that Plays to Win the Game would probably not pay Israel a dime, for example, and would instead be extracting tribute, but that is a policy he would find repugnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

America plays to win American politics, which is why Boehner invited Bibi to speak before Congress. Defeating islamist insurgencies is a winning position in American politics, with the gamut of acceptable policy positions towards this end ranging eliminate islam to eliminate insurgents.

Actually an annihilation of the current corrupt Congress would be playing to win American politics. In that way, no one would have to consider Bibi or Boehner's opinions on policies because they are sub-optimal for increasing US power. If you annihilate non-executive power, you play to win for keeps. At that point one could simply have Bibi shot and then send a message in no uncertain terms that intransigence will not be tolerated.

The current system, in terms of increasing US geopolitical power, is fundamentally broken. Foreign countries are allowed to have lobbyists advocating for policies that run counter to US interests. It is time to end seditious activity. It is time to enable the government to do what's needed. You don't see generals being elected officials, do you?

If Obama were not a spineless coward he would have Boehner, Bibi, and all their treasonous co-conspirators executed.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 27, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, I think it's mostly a moderation problem. To have real debates on boards you need to cut down dogpiling and shitposting. A/T has way more effective debates than DnD in threads like Greece/Rome and Milhist, perhaps just because it has less traffic.

A D&D where you had to realpost would be a much less entertaining forum, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Disinterested posted:

So what? We rename DnD to LF and make a new DnD where people actually realpost?

It's the nature of the internet for people of like mind to cluster together. If you're expecting to get a place where people can debate in a lively way, you're probably way off. Even now most of the arguments end up involving GiP poo poo and run posts and MIGF, neither of which would probably be considered realposting.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of posters on SA who are run off of d&d by the political leaning but I don't think there's a good solution to it. This isn't a forum where you'll find experts on much, so I don't see why it should even purport to be intellectual. Just focus on entertainment value, really.

• Locked thread