Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Usos rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
I only voted for the Uso's because I am exposed to them the most of any tag team and still don't find them to be entertaining. Good wrestlers. Okay act. But I don't like them.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
anyone who put the Uso's as a worse tag team than Daniel Gracie and Rolles Gracie Jr need to identify themselves as they need to get publicly shamed.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Also, holy poo poo DBry didn't win technical wrestler for the first time in history.

it was the end of his 9 year streak winning it in the observer awards as well. being absent for most of the year will do that, i guess.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The fact that TNA only got top three votes for worst company and worst TV show prove that it's reflexive to say that it's bad, and that no one actually cares enough to see if it's good or not. This makes me sad.

EDIT: My mistake, they also got 2nd and 3rd for "tasteless promotion" and "existing" in Worst Tactic.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 25, 2015

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

The fact that TNA only got top three votes for worst company and worst TV show prove that it's reflexive to say that it's bad, and that no one actually cares enough to see if it's good or not. This makes me sad.

they actually had some decent tv in the last part of the year but they can't really crawl out of their reputation. i think raw should have won out for worst weekly tv show.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

CaptainYesterday posted:

EDIT: My mistake, they also got 2nd and 3rd for "tasteless promotion" and "existing" in Worst Tactic.

They also had the runner-up for Worst Match of the Year and the third-place finisher for Worst Major Show. Do you have a point?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I know you love TNA very much and it is hard for you to understand but when a company is so bad that it loses its TV deal and is forced to downgrade every aspect of its product to take a much shittier deal they should probably win worst promotion. There is no better pick for worst promotion because that's literally what they are, a promotion that is terrible at promoting wrestling. Worst TV comes down to taste but they put on months of a lame duck product and then resorted to some terrible best of episodes to fill time. Let's not pretend that they put on a lights out product the entire year. While Raw was producing bad TV, Impact was in such bad shape it couldn't even produce TV.

Edit: gently caress if I had thought to vote for Tuesday Nitro it would have beaten Raw.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 25, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

CaptainYesterday posted:

I don't need to get kicked in the face by a horse to know that it's a bad idea to stand behind them. Plus we have more wrestling readily available than any time in history. Don't have enough time in the day to willingly subject myself to that.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

WM winning Best Show is so weird. I know Bryan winning in the main event was a top moment of the year but for real? I don't even know if it hits my top 5.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i mean in the end it's a case of most people only or mostly watching just WWE.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

HulkaMatt posted:

WM winning Best Show is so weird. I know Bryan winning in the main event was a top moment of the year but for real? I don't even know if it hits my top 5.

it didn't even end up on my show of the year shortlist. i agree with cardboard box, this year's awards makes it pretty clear that folks really only watch WWE and are somewhat aware of what's going on outside of america.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

it didn't even end up on my show of the year shortlist. i agree with cardboard box, this year's awards makes it pretty clear that folks really only watch WWE and are somewhat aware of what's going on outside of america.

Watch NJPW

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

the usos are great and if you're one of the people who voted them worst team you're really loving stupid and you probably have bad opinions. Oh no they win a lot and generally have fun opening matches when theye not forced to work with the miz gently caress those assholes more like tag team John cena

gently caress you

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

As Dave said about the WO awards, NJPW was consistent and there was no obvious choice for best show of the year for them whike WM XXX was by far and away the best WWE show of the year so I'm not surprised it won. Wasn't my choice but I understand as it really was genuinely a great show accompanied by WM style production values.

I'm a lot more puzzled by people voting WWE the best promotion or Raw the best show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Wrestle Kingdom 9 gonna win next year fo' sho'.

Kinda sad nobody gave the nod to BxB Hulk/Takagi from Final Gate for best match, but nobody watches DG really. :(

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Roman getting the interview vote is bullshit because he didn't even cut that many promos on 2014.

The PSP Awards are pretty much "2014 and to the end of the voting period because everyone votes on their most recent memory." Ascension's new gimmick didn't debut on the main WWE roster until December 29th, but being NXT tag champs was apparently a huge offense to people in a year when Road Dogg and Mr. rear end held the main roster tag belts and the Gracies were in NJPW.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 25, 2015

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

the usos are great and if you're one of the people who voted them worst team you're really loving stupid and you probably have bad opinions. Oh no they win a lot and generally have fun opening matches when theye not forced to work with the miz gently caress those assholes more like tag team John cena

gently caress you

Uso mad? :smug:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

2 moty candidates with the payoff to something that built for 9 months that no one thought was going to happen, a lot of fun in between and while the match sucked, the lesnar/taker ending is really historically significant. There was a lot of good shows last year but I dont find it shocking at all.

sticklefifer posted:

The PSP Awards are pretty much "2014 and to the end of the voting period because everyone votes on their most recent memory." Ascension's new gimmick didn't debut on the main WWE roster until December 29th, but being NXT tag champs was apparently a huge offense to people in a year when Road Dogg and Mr. rear end held the main roster tag belts and the Gracies were in NJPW.
They had a lot of really really bad matches in NXT

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Cardboard Box posted:

i mean in the end it's a case of most people only or mostly watching just WWE.

i love new japan and wrestlemania 30 was my show of the year and Bryan/HHH my match of the year. people can have opinions

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 26, 2015

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Thauros posted:

WM XXX was by far and away the best WWE show of the year

For some reason I thought this wasn't true - but now that I really think about it I don't know any other WWE PPV this year that was better.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nerokerubina posted:

people can have opinions

since when

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

They had a lot of really really bad matches in NXT

To be fair, NXT built very few credible tag teams until Kalisto debuted, and their matches that weren't squashes against jobbers were pretty good. Still, I think a lot of people just voted based on the crap angle they were saddled with on Raw.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The same Usos match is not fun every week.
This is some McMahon-level complaining about people not liking what they're given almost every week.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

What tag team on WWE TV doesn't do the same type of match every time they wrestle? Tag Match formula is the same for everyone. Everyone has the same comeback spots they do every match also.

Usos just happen to have really really good/great longer matches when they're put in position to have them. If you want to say they're stale, I can understand that. But the idea they've been voted one of the worst when they've been one of the best is really just baffling.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 26, 2015

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

It was pretty much excellent top to bottom? Preshow fatal fourway with Cesaro finally turning face in a good match, WM itself opening with DB/HHH in an excellent match, the Shield with the traditional WM squash, Cesaro beastmoding the Andre battle royal, Cena/Wyatt, even though the match was terrible a legitimate shocking end to The Streak, a divas match and of course DB closing the show holding the titles high. Only two matches on the card could be considered bad and even Cena/Wyatt wasn't terrible. Of course they pissed all that goodwill away within a month, but in the moment WMXXX was really really good.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I forgot about the Andre battle royal which was cool. I WONDER WHY.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

gently caress you

Reactions like this are the best part of any awards

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

What tag team on WWE TV doesn't do the same type of match every time they wrestle? Tag Match formula is the same for everyone. Everyone has the same comeback spots they do every match also.

Usos just happen to have really really good/great longer matches when they're put in position to have them. If you want to say they're stale, I can understand that. But the idea they've been voted one of the worst when they've been one of the best is really just baffling.
Maybe the right category is Most Overrated but I don't remember anything the Usos did that stood out other than a Dusts tag match ~15 months ago.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Maybe the right category is Most Overrated but I don't remember anything the Usos did that stood out other than a Dusts tag match ~15 months ago.

the wrestlemania opener and their two PPV matches against the wyatts were very good

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lots of people are very touchy about James Uso and Jey Uso

EDIT: And their lovely superkicks

NienNunb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 26, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
At least three of the NXT specials were better than WM XXX.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wrestlemania 30 was really great

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Thank you everyone for voting for the Wrestlefuck Pissbutt as the best show of 2014 I hope we win again in 2015!!!!!!!!!!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

but to be a internet wrestling fan i have to be contrarian to the booking, even when it's not terrible

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
BIGGEST LOSERS OF THE VOTE!

Often what I find interesting are weird votes from people, things that got a low amount of points, things only one person voted for, etc. So here are the lowest amount of points in each category. Yes, I got this from the doc just like you can, but I figured I'd provide the info here in the thread for easy viewing!

All of these entries only recieved two points for being someone's third pick.

Wrestler of the Year: BxB Hulk, Candice LeRae, Darren Young, Mascarita Sagrada, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, Triple H.
ReDRagon was listed as a single entry here, as was the Young Bucks... but they got more points.

Worst Wrestler: Abyss, Brie Bella, El Local, Jeff Hardy, Jeff Jarrett, Michael Elgin, Michael Tarver, Rebel, Rob Van Dam, Sinn Bodhi, The Giant Pharaoh, Yujiro Takahashi
No surprises here!

Most Outstanding Wrestler:Charlotte, Hideo Itami, Katsuyori Shibata, Kenny Omega, Pentagon Jr., Randy Orton, ACH, Roman Reigns
And I bet who ever gave those two points to Roman Reigns regrets their decision now!

Best Tag Team: Big Cass and Enzo Amore, Cesaro and Tyson Kidd, Inner City Machine Guns, Los Matadores, The Decade, Unbreakable loving Machines
Someone voted for Cesaro and Tyson Kidd and didn't mention their manager Leo Krueger? Even El Torito got a mention with Los Matadores!

Worst Tag Team:Brutal Burgers, Bull Dempsey & Mojo Rawley, Foxsana, Funkadactyls, J&J Security, Rock NES Monsters, TenCozy, The Bloodbound Warriors, The Dudley Boyz / Team 3D, The Vaudevillains
For some reason Funkadactyls appear in the doc literally as just a line. I guess The Goog didn't like them either! :v:

These entries aren't ranked on their points... they're just people's weird unique choices!

Feud of the Year: Doctor Who vs The Cybermen, Randy Orton vs THE TABLE, Tomohiro Ishii vs. Medically Necessary Shoulder Surgery, AJ Styles vs NJPW's weak weak necks, Chavo Guerrero vs EVERYBODY, Dolph Ziggler vs His Stupid Character, Mount Rushmore vs Everyone
I AM THE TABLE, by the way my vote for CM Punk vs WWE got combined with someone else's vote of CM Punk vs Triple H, and I just want to say that's not what I meant. I should have phrased it better. I meant Phil Brooks v World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. :v:

Worst Feud of the Year: The Miz vs The Figure Four, Rusev vs America (!), TNA vs Spike
Really?! Rusev's feud from last year only got one vote! Holy poo poo!

Back to regular "lowest points" for now...

Most Improved:Adam Cole, Adrian Neville, Bayley, Damien Sandow, Kyle O'Reilly, Lance Archer, Paige, RD Evans, Seth Rollins, Tomoaki Honma
Big Daddy Yum Yum? Are you loving kidding? He's still lovely and he hasn't improved as much as the #4 spot which was Tyson Kidd, so in my heart Tyson Kidd is truly our bronze medal. Yay for Nattie's husband!

Best on Interviews:Cesaro, Jack Swagger, Konnan, Ryback, The Miz, The Vaudevillains
...wait... The Miz? Really?

Worst on Interviews:Chavo Guerrero, Crazzy Steve, Johnny Mundo, Michael Bennett, Mojo Rawley, Paige, Zeb Colter
WWE's Writers got 5 points and one vote. Let's hear it for Creative! :v: Also Lana and Rusev only got one first place vote but since it was for both of them it got split. ...yeah, that was my fault, I'm sorry. Still, they got more points with their vote split than all of those fuckers!

Best Brawler:Blue Demon Jr., Candice LeRae, Cesaro, Masaaki Mochizuki, Michael Elgin, Rush, Sami Zayn
I don't know any of the japanese wrestlers, but I'm assuming Candice is the only female on this list, and since she also got a vote for wrestler of the year I'm intrigued to watch one of her matches.

Best Technical Wrestler:Adam Cole, Alex Shelley, Charlotte, Dean Ambrose, Jay Lethal, Johnny Mundo, Kane, Kota Ibushi, Masaaki Mochizuki, Negro Casas, Randy Orton, Roderick Strong, Sasha Banks, Yuji Nagata
See, Kane isn't completely useless. :v:

Best High Flyer:Brian Cage, Erick Rowan, Flamita, Jay Lethal, Shynron, Stardust, The Bunny
The Goog hosed up. The Bunny is not in last place with the rest of these guys; technically he is tied with Dragon Lee II, since we all know The Bunny is Justin "I'm now a werewolf or something" Gabriel.

Most Underpushed:Alicia Fox, Bo Dallas, Brock Lesnar, CJ Parker, Jason Jordan, Jimmy Jacobs, Naomi, Shinsuke Nakamura, T-Hawk, Tomasso Ciampa, Uhaa Nation, Zack Ryder
There was also a third pick vote for the entrity of NXT that I think should have gotten it's own spot but also had it's two points split and shared with the rest of the NXT guys on the list. Finn Ballor could have really used that fraction of a point! :v:

Most Overpushed: Adam Rose, Chavo Guerrero, Rob Van Dam, Rockstar Spud, Tama Tonga, Tetsuya Naito, The Ascension (Konnor & Viktor), The Miz, Toru Yano, Triple H (technically)
The Authority had it's own seperate vote here as well, which actually puts Triple H closer to the top. Suck it, Levesque!

Best Promotion: Dramatic Dream Team, Interspecies Wrestling, Squared Circle Wrestling
I'm intrigued, what is this Interspecies Wrestling...?

Worst Promotion: Absolute Intense Wrestling, IWA: Mid-South, Paragon Wrestling
Global Force came in 7th and they haven't done anything yet. You guys are really mean to Jeff. :smith:

Oh boy here we go... just the bottom feeders, but holy poo poo this list is loving awesome. I should just post the whole thing and let the results stand for themselves. If you want to see it check out the doc!

Shittiest Thing:Everything about CHIKARA, Lionheart UK throws shade at AJ Styles because he can't take the Styles Clash properly, Lucha Underground & AAA hire Vampiro for commentary, ROH books noted homophobe Jay Briscoe as world champion, TNA invokes the Eric Garner incident for heat, TNA not paying people, Total Divas, UFC signs CM Punk with a straight face, WWE books absolutely horrible programming, with almost no true bright spots, for eight months and counting post-WrestleMania, WWE buries Jack Swagger, WWE falsely advertising pay-per-view post-shows, WWE oversexualizes the AJ Lee / Paige feud, WWE signs Sting
UFC is a wrestling promotion? Should have voted them the best. C M PUNK C M PUNK C M PUNK

Best Weekly Show: Monday Night Wars, TNA Impact Wrestling, Total Divas
I would like to point out Tuesday Nitro with MRT, featuring Cowboy Who, recieved 20 points and three first pick votes! Congrats WCW and MRT for putting on a better show than WWE, Dragongate, and TNA! In 2014 no less!

Worst Weekly Show: NECW Wrestling, NXT, TNA British Boot Camp, WWE AM Raw, WWE Slam City
Slam City is weekly?

Best Major Show: Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 2014, NJPW G1 Climax, Day 8, NJPW Power Struggle, WWE Money in the Bank, WWE Payback
CHIKARA GOT A SECOND PICK VOTE WHAT THE gently caress

Worst Major Show:CZW Cage of Death, ROH Final Battle, WWE Elimination Chamber
In this category there were literally only 6 out of 16 shows that weren't a WWE pay per view.

Match of the Year: in order,
Cisco & Cortez Castro vs. Prince Puma & Johnny Mundo - Lucha Underground, ???
Kota Ibushi vs. Ricochet - NJPW Dominion, 6/21
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Kyle O'Reilly vs. AJ Styles - ROH TV
Mochizuki vs. T-Hawk
Money in the Bank Ladder Match - WWE Money in the Bank
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW The New Beginning
I almost asked which Money in the Bank ladder match... and then I remembered there was only one last year.

Here are the weird answers again!

Worst Match of the Year: "That Divas match where Cameron botched a pin"
Literally the only weird answer in this category.

Best Commentator: "Anyone not on the Raw team", "The NXT guy that isn't Alex Riley or Corey Graves"
William Regal or Jason Albert?

Worst Commentator: Booker T
LITERALLY DEAD LAST AND TIED WITH NO ONE NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT?

Best Non Wrestler: CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Triple H, Christian, Jamie and Joey all got votes in this category.
Technically all of them wrestled in 2014.

Best Move: Crazy dive over the top rope from ACH, Muta Lock from Emma, Sister Abigail's Kiss from Bray Wyatt
I love how the kiss itself is seperate from the actual move. :v:

Best Twitter Account: Some forums members circle jerked each other and voted for themselves, so I'm not going to list them, but here are some interesting stats! sunsweet got the most points of any goon, Bard Maddox has the longest answer in the document, manflurry is the only goon to recieve a first, second, and third pick, and the only bot I see is Awfuljack's. Here are some other interesting votes! Apparently I'm the only person dumb enough to vote for Solomon Crowe. The Linear World Title got a vote as did Observer Quotes (two votes actually!) Grumpy Cat got as many votes as Iron Sheik, Dixie Carter, and Stone Cold, and they all had the same amount of votes as MassRafTer! Way to go everyone, you were all beat by Dolph Ziggler, half of the Bucks, and the Tweeter Deleter Ryback!
I miss Crowe. :smith:

Best Podcast: SOMEONE ACTUALLY VOTED FOR MY PODCAST WHY? poo poo ended after like two episodes because I suck. Also the Bryan and Vinny show scored more points than The Art of Wrestling and that makes me sad; even sadder, PUNCHSPORT PODCAST SCORED LOWER THAN THEM!
Who the gently caress voted for my podcast? Really, I wanna know!

Only 58 goons voted in this year's awards, so hopefully next year we'll have even more so whoever is hosting them can sit there and count out over 60 entries of New Japan New Japan New Japan New Japan.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 26, 2015

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If you're interested in watching a Candace match, I'd recommend Candace vs Adam Cole from PWG Mystery Vortex (2?) or Candace and Joey vs the Young Bucks form PWG ELEVEN.

E: Also I'm stunned that someone who isn't me voted for Cesaro on best promos.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Skunkrocker posted:

I'm intrigued, what is this Interspecies Wrestling...?

Let me introduce you to a man named Giant Tiger...

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

When it came time to vote my mind blanked on a lot of categories, and apparently weird stuff came out then, because I'm about half those weird votes Skunk listed, including for his terrible podcast describing going to terrible indy shows. I like hearing about terrible indy shows.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i stand by each of my last place/"bad" votes. masaaki mochizuki is a hell of a brawler but i wouldn't have considered him a technician, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Xerzes posted:

When it came time to vote my mind blanked on a lot of categories, and apparently weird stuff came out then, because I'm about half those weird votes Skunk listed, including for his terrible podcast describing going to terrible indy shows. I like hearing about terrible indy shows.

Awww, thank you! I'm glad we had a fan! If there is a terrible indy around here in the Knoxville area where I live you can be sure I'll be there to make fun of it!

Just be glad we didn't do our next project, which we still plan on doing at some point; manflurry heard a prototype of it and he said it was kind of funny but ran stale quickly and definitely needed work, so it got put on the backburner.

• Locked thread