Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mr Phillby posted:

At this point Supermarkets and online are part of the 'Brick and Mortar' equation, digital prices have to match physical or Tesco and Amazon might stop selling your poo poo.

Also the Game situation was ridiculous because they essentially destroyed their own market by buying the competition.

Except big retailers actually sort of understand how the market works. They understand the basic principle that if you sell your stuff cheaper than anywhere else, people will buy it there. Right now I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping the prices at the level they are in supermarkets is the Publishers propping other stores up via their MRSP. It's to the Supermarket's advantage that they keep their prices at that level, because that's what the competition is selling them at (even if it's artificial competition set up by the publishers) and any losses (if any) can easily be offset by the other stuff they sell.

It will certainly be interesting if those dedicated video game stores did die out because publishers would no longer have a vassal business to artificially prop up prices and would have to negotiate directly with the big retailers who would be able to make actual demands of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Croccers posted:

The recent Xmas sales here in Australia at EB Games.

About half the price of what it is on Amazon in the US.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Bought Farcry 4 through G2A, complained after I bought game insurance (I know, who does that?) and they gave me a full refund with a 5$ voucher.

I got to play half the game for free and a firm lesson to never buy another ubisoft product again.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Biaga posted:

Bought Farcry 4 through G2A, complained after I bought game insurance (I know, who does that?) and they gave me a full refund with a 5$ voucher.

I got to play half the game for free and a firm lesson to never buy another ubisoft product again.

Shouldn't you be mad at G2A for selling you the key ?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Duggler posted:

Shouldn't you be mad at G2A for selling you the key ?

No because it's Ubisoft for not letting him keep stolen property.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Len posted:

No because it's Ubisoft for not letting him keep stolen property.

They are also banning keys that are legally purchased though. So you see, it's totally legitimate for companies to move their development centres and factories to cheaper countries to reduce costs but consumers aren't allowed to source their purchases from other countries to do the same.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Heliotic posted:

They are also banning keys that are legally purchased though. So you see, it's totally legitimate for companies to move their development centres and factories to cheaper countries to reduce costs but consumers aren't allowed to source their purchases from other countries to do the same.

Where are these legitimate keys being voided?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No, you see G2A promised it was legitimate, and a shady key reseller would never lie!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

No, you see G2A promised it was legitimate, and a shady key reseller would never lie!

See it's a lot harder on the Internet, especially for those less savvy, to be able to tell what's legitimate. Slav Dadski may not know the key he's buying is illegitimate and definitely has no way of knowing it's stolen. It's not like the website hangs out in a bad part of town wearing a tracksuit under a trenchcoat.

The cool/smart thing to have done is use their uplay to give them a 30 percent coupon on the disabled game, or basically anything other than making GBS threads all over the consumer.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The smart and right thing to do would be not to buy from these key resellers. Either buy at the fullish price at launch or wait for a Steam sale. It's not like G2A is the only way to get a AAA game cheap, and all most do is complain about it anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People take an extremely obvious risk by buying from a key reseller and now they're mad that the risk actualized, so they blame everything from ubisoft to something about the economy, but never themselves for taking the risk in the first place.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gestalt Intellect posted:

People take an extremely obvious risk by buying from a key reseller and now they're mad that the risk actualized, so they blame everything from ubisoft to something about the economy, but never themselves for taking the risk in the first place.

People always blame The French first.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Ularg posted:

The smart and right thing to do would be not to buy from these key resellers. Either buy at the fullish price at launch or wait for a Steam sale. It's not like G2A is the only way to get a AAA game cheap, and all most do is complain about it anyway.

I like how you just read the bottom.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Ularg posted:

Where are these legitimate keys being voided?

A few posts back, it spawned a whole discussion about how unfair it would be if publishers couldn't geoblock.

Ed: actually I misread it and they are only voiding stolen keys. Disregard, sucking cocks etc.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This thread loving blows good job creating a new version of the Xbox One Shark tank OP

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Uhhh someone is voiding stolen keys gently caress them LOL

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

There are like a hundred reasons to hate Ubisoft and never buy their products, but being mad at Ubisoft that your purchase from a shady reseller got voided is :laffo:

hth

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, like how Uplay keeps corrupting my downloads and it's driving me nuts. It's getting to the point I'm tempted to pirate games I legit own on Uplay because I can't loving download and install them on Uplay and when I can get the drat games to launch it usually eats my save.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

afaik you cannot resume a download with Uplay. At least last time I used it.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

VarXX posted:

Here's a story from a small indie dev team of 3 people when they got hosed hard by sites like G2A using stolen credit cards to buy in bulk

Why in the gently caress are the card issuer's allowed to charge a fee to the company when clearly the fault is at their end with stolen credit cards?

VarXX posted:

If someone buys 1000 keys with a stolen credit card, and they initiate a charge back on those 1000 keys, you need to refund all 1000 charges and pay a $2 fee for each key.

Someone really has to explain to me why if I had a business that was now charged back because of stolen credit cards, why I would be the one forced to pay the fee?

Reb fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 30, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Reb posted:

Why in the gently caress are the card issuer's allowed to charge a fee to the company when clearly the fault is at their end with stolen credit cards?

Because if there is an entity that out dicks even Ubisoft it is credit card companies. Pretty much all major credit card companies charge a fee to the merchant in the event of a chargeback for any reason. It is dumb but they are monolothic entities that need you a hell of a lot less than you need them so they get away with it. You either pay the fees or they don't process cards for you, and good luck being an online retailer that doesn't take Visa.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Chomp8645 posted:

Because if there is an entity that out dicks even Ubisoft it is credit card companies. Pretty much all major credit card companies charge a fee to the merchant in the event of a chargeback for any reason. It is dumb but they are monolothic entities that need you a hell of a lot less than you need them so they get away with it. You either pay the fees or they don't process cards for you, and good luck being an online retailer that doesn't take Visa.

Yeah, that's what I figured. CC companies are to big and basically get to say gently caress you. I guess the other part is, if they allow someone to mass buy 1000 keys or something, then they definitely should have something better set up for that. Same of if someone keeps checking one 1 key over and over with the same CC. I highly doubt that they would have brought 1000 keys with 1000 different cards... right?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Why not? Once you have the numbers and info it's probably not that hard to automate the process.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Heliotic posted:

They are also banning keys that are legally purchased though

Can we get this proved already because loving hell.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why not? Once you have the numbers and info it's probably not that hard to automate the process.

Then you would have to have a system that also looks at IP's of buys? I guess all of this could be automated to go around each obstacle. Either way, gently caress CC companies for charging a business fee since they are the ones now having to force a charge back due to them allowing stolen CC cards to be used.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Since the product is digital there is absolutely no reason for there to be chargeback fees for the company to pay. They could have easily refunded the money, voided the keys and be better off for it.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

Ularg posted:

Since the product is digital there is absolutely no reason for there to be chargeback fees for the company to pay. They could have easily refunded the money, voided the keys and be better off for it.

Yes but, we can force this onto you, because what are you going to do? Stop using us? [evil laugh] HA HA HA HA [/evil laugh]

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ularg posted:

I don't think you can refund money to a stolen credit card after it is caught and canceled by fraud detection.

Basically whatever solution you can think up to this situation doesn't work and ends with "the credit card company fucks you".

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't think you can refund money to a stolen credit card after it is caught and canceled by fraud detection.

Basically whatever solution you can think up to this situation doesn't work and ends with "the credit card company fucks you".

It's technically bullshit, the CC companies seem to not lose any money. They take back the money from the business, don't charge the person who's card details were used stolen, so they effectively get their money back. And then they add an extra $2 or what ever fee to have that done.... I get it costs a bit of money to have someone process all that poo poo, but why would the business that already just lost all that money it through it had, get charged extra for it? But again, refer to:

Reb posted:

Yes but, we can force this onto you, because what are you going to do? Stop using us? [evil laugh] HA HA HA HA [/evil laugh]

I guess.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

Croccers posted:

Grand Theft Auto V (ANZ) $74.99

So you're saying that GMG price for ANZ is actually in USD? God drat, thankfully I have a list of 10+ people from the US, that even with paypal fees, I'll be able to get it cheaper through steam gifting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Reb posted:

It's technically bullshit, the CC companies seem to not lose any money. They take back the money from the business, don't charge the person who's card details were used stolen, so they effectively get their money back. And then they add an extra $2 or what ever fee to have that done.... I get it costs a bit of money to have someone process all that poo poo, but why would the business that already just lost all that money it through it had, get charged extra for it? But again, refer to:

Charge back fees are like $30 a pop.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Carecat posted:

G2A is accused several times of being dodgy in this thread. SavyGamer points out Pewdiepie and other youtubers are paid to promote G2A. You could see Pewdiepie in a paid promotion for a Ubisoft game and then go to G2A also promoted by him and buy a copy of the game that gets removed. For consumers it's a clusterfuck of mixed messages.

it's really hosed up that Pewds would do this to a fellow gamer.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Eye of Widesauron posted:

This thread loving blows good job creating a new version of the Xbox One Shark tank OP

Your welcome. Also edited the OP to somewhat explain the clusterfuck going on.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The bad news keeps rolling in. Ubisoft released the HD edition of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and it's minimum system requirements match (and in the case of video card, exceed) that of the recommended system for the original Crysis. This is what HOMM 3 HD looks like,

There's no expansions and random features have been taken out, probably so they can sell it all as DLC.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
As in it actually takes those to run it as tested by people or is it just what people are reading from Ubisoft's website? Because that's a silly thing to get flustered over.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Yaos posted:

The bad news keeps rolling in. Ubisoft released the HD edition of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and it's minimum system requirements match (and in the case of video card, exceed) that of the recommended system for the original Crysis. This is what HOMM 3 HD looks like,

There's no expansions and random features have been taken out, probably so they can sell it all as DLC.

What the gently caress do you need an 8800 GT to run a 2d game for?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Haruharuharuko posted:

What the gently caress do you need an 8800 GT to run a 2d game for?

Uplay in the background?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yaos posted:

They lost the source code to the expansions apparently. The lack of the map editor, the one thing that made HoMM 3 so good is inexcusable though and it's pointless when you can get HoMM 3 plus all the expansions on GOG for a much cheaper price and download a free mod that makes it HD anyway.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They lost the source code to the expansions apparently. The lack of the map editor, the one thing that made HoMM 3 so good is inexcusable though and it's pointless when you can get HoMM 3 plus all the expansions on GOG for a much cheaper price and download a free mod that makes it HD anyway.

I distinctly remember seeing a Ubisoft released comparison pic (original HoMM 3 vs HD version) that was later revealed to have had used lower quality original version pictures so as to make the HD version look better, does anyone else remember that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/03/ubisoft-resold-games-restored/

Ubisoft restored some of the fraudulently bought keys but not all of them? I don't even know what's happening anymore. Stop buying from shady sites I dunno

• Locked thread