Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is this running 2 cour or 12 episodes? I tried to look it up by the only thing I learned is that like 2 dozen companies are working on the show entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Or the gundam show.

It's a pretty good season.

I've fallen behind on this and Yatterman and I really shouldnt have because those two were fantastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Is this running 2 cour or 12 episodes? I tried to look it up by the only thing I learned is that like 2 dozen companies are working on the show entirely.

It feels paced for one cour.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

1 cour.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Pretty sure that familiar is the hooded girl he got medicine from the one time back in... whatever episode it was. The face/hair/gloves are the same. It was kind of a one-off scene, but his reaction makes a bit more sense in that context.

Whoops, someone else beat me. Guess that's what I get for not reloading before replying.

I'm sure he felt a shiver down his spine once he realized he had been working with witches all along.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, though, this is a hella angry show for a Japanese cartoon about medieval France.

It's not bad, just odd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems more angry with Christianity and medieval Europe was the obvious way to showcase it to me.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Christian proselytizers probably annoyed the author one time too often. Heh.

Also, theodicy is a big issue with Christianity.

Also there is no need to justify being angry with Christianity. There are plenty of reasons.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Christian proselytizers probably annoyed the author one time too often. Heh.

Also, theodicy is a big issue with Christianity.

Also there is no need to justify being angry with Christianity. There are plenty of reasons.

Yeah, even as a Catholic, its impossible to deny that the religion, either directly or as the savoury front for politics, has led to a lot of suffering in history. A thing to remember for the particular context of the show is that the Reformation hasn't happened yet, so both sides are the same denomination, and so are almost certainly working more on their nationality than their faith - but its easier to claim the enemy are godless heathens that need to be wiped out, rather than, y'know, just say some dudes on a throne are fighting over their respective claims for France.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Astro Nut posted:

Yeah, even as a Catholic, its impossible to deny that the religion, either directly or as the savoury front for politics, has led to a lot of suffering in history. A thing to remember for the particular context of the show is that the Reformation hasn't happened yet, so both sides are the same denomination, and so are almost certainly working more on their nationality than their faith - but its easier to claim the enemy are godless heathens that need to be wiped out, rather than, y'know, just say some dudes on a throne are fighting over their respective claims for France.

what if your throne was made of blood and skulls? bet it'd be pretty easy to motivate people to fight your wars then!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I love how much this show gets right. Like, I looked it up and Saint Barbara is considered the patron saint of artillerymen and sappers.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Mordja posted:

I love how much this show gets right. Like, I looked it up and Saint Barbara is considered the patron saint of artillerymen and sappers.
I've been selling people on this show by pointing out how much weird poo poo this show gets right that I wouldn't expect out of Westerners, let alone the Japanese. My favorite is still Galfa eschewing the dull-as-poo poo blade during the duel and just wailing on the other guy with the pommel.

[Edit: And it sure takes some selling, because man was that first episode rough. Especially when the question "was the owl out blowing dudes?" comes up.]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 22, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, Bernard demonstrates my point clearly. Didn't care that his supplies were coming from a witch, so he could use it further his own aims.

Also I think its been a long while since I've seen the power of love played in such a straight fashion, but it actually makes sense when placed in context. Though it kinda leaves me wondering if all of this is now meant to have been some gambit set up by the big G, or some weird deal with Michael, since Maria seems fine to see him at the end, and he sure as heck wasn't interfering in that last display of magic. Yet, you know, kind of a dick way to go about teaching a lesson if it is (though admittedly that can be kinda standard for God).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I thought the duel with Galfa was well done. The guy was still ultimately a jerk, but at the very least he isn't evil. I guess I don't mind his survival.

Good to see Joseph and Maria finally hooking up. It's not like we are talking about an irrationally tsundere couple or anything like that, but it felt satisfying to see their relationship progress.

Also, I loved how Maria's intervention in the duel was so clumsy yet still pretty useful. Yes, we went straight into "the power of love" territory here. And I have no problem with it.

The show could have ended right here and that would already be a very good resolution...aside from the need to deal with Mr. Archangel, that is.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Astro Nut posted:

So, Bernard demonstrates my point clearly. Didn't care that his supplies were coming from a witch, so he could use it further his own aims.

Also I think its been a long while since I've seen the power of love played in such a straight fashion, but it actually makes sense when placed in context. Though it kinda leaves me wondering if all of this is now meant to have been some gambit set up by the big G, or some weird deal with Michael, since Maria seems fine to see him at the end, and he sure as heck wasn't interfering in that last display of magic. Yet, you know, kind of a dick way to go about teaching a lesson if it is (though admittedly that can be kinda standard for God).

Meh, they've had a handful of conversations through the whole series. But I guess that's accurate for teenage romance? I was more interested in the fact that the waif-like redhead was able to toss a full-grown man in armor over one shoulder and stroll out casually. Who the hell is she? I wonder if she's more than she appears.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Camp follower lady rules. Duel was okay, as was what happened afterwards. Was there even a reason for Cernunos to be in this show? I mean I guess to establish that the supernatural comes from human belief but that's been his only role aside of empty philosophy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Meh, they've had a handful of conversations through the whole series. But I guess that's accurate for teenage romance? I was more interested in the fact that the waif-like redhead was able to toss a full-grown man in armor over one shoulder and stroll out casually. Who the hell is she? I wonder if she's more than she appears.

...I realise what I said by 'in context' may have been a bit odd. I wasn't actually referring to the romance in itself, so much why it had an actual effect in restoring Maria's powers. Namely, that Maria was too in shock/traumatised from Galfa's assault to be able to wield her magic, whilst the confession and subsequent acceptance made her self-confidence and happiness skyrocket so she was back in full swing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

I've been selling people on this show by pointing out how much weird poo poo this show gets right that I wouldn't expect out of Westerners, let alone the Japanese. My favorite is still Galfa eschewing the dull-as-poo poo blade during the duel and just wailing on the other guy with the pommel.

[Edit: And it sure takes some selling, because man was that first episode rough. Especially when the question "was the owl out blowing dudes?" comes up.]

I wouldn't recommend the animated program "Maria The Virgin Witch", about a witch who uses her Succubus Familiar to gently caress people too tired to fight and will lose her magical powers if she has sex herself, to anybody who is incredibly bothered by the idea of oral sex, or sex at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*In Shaggy, from Scooby Doo Where Are You voice*

B-B-b-b--b-blowjobs??!?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think waif would be a good word for her. She basically does odd jobs at a mercenary camp, drags the wounded off the field and carries spoils off. Her entire life revolves around lifting stuff. Also Galfa probably doesn't weight more than 150 lbs and a full suit of armor is only like 50lbs, which he wasn't wearing, so at most she's fireman carrying 170 to 180 lbs. Easily doable for any one physically active. Though that gold cross probably weighed 50 lbs by itself and everyone was throwing it around like it was nothing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Camp follower lady rules. Duel was okay, as was what happened afterwards. Was there even a reason for Cernunos to be in this show? I mean I guess to establish that the supernatural comes from human belief but that's been his only role aside of empty philosophy.

He's one of Maria's (many) tempters, constantly informing her that she, like him, is on the losing side of history and should just back down and live out her days in peaceful obscurity before anyone gets hurt. It has a decent amount of resonance, actually, considering how we know things panned out in the real world.

As for the cross, I'm guessing it's gold-plated, and they plan on melting it off the wood.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Guyver posted:

I don't think waif would be a good word for her. She basically does odd jobs at a mercenary camp, drags the wounded off the field and carries spoils off. Her entire life revolves around lifting stuff. Also Galfa probably doesn't weight more than 150 lbs and a full suit of armor is only like 50lbs, which he wasn't wearing, so at most she's fireman carrying 170 to 180 lbs. Easily doable for any one physically active. Though that gold cross probably weighed 50 lbs by itself and everyone was throwing it around like it was nothing.

Camp Followers were hardcore and deserve respect.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Kind of wondering where the show is going with the Valkyries, as well. Seems like a few too many factions have been introduced to wrap all of this up neatly.

Sharkopath posted:

I wouldn't recommend the animated program "Maria The Virgin Witch", about a witch who uses her Succubus Familiar to gently caress people too tired to fight and will lose her magical powers if she has sex herself, to anybody who is incredibly bothered by the idea of oral sex, or sex at all.
Yes. Clearly the issue is all-encompassing prudishness. It has nothing to do with presentation at all. There is nothing strange about an anime suddenly going from "mysterious witch" to "an owl flies in the window, then turns into a lady in bondage gear talking about how her jaw is tired from all the blowjobs she was giving". Nothing about that scene might set off a "yo this show might be creepy dawg" alarm in the heads of people familiar with anime that takes some effort to work around. It's just Puritanism, full-stop.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

grown rear end adults having sex is creepy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That actually all sounded really mean but I ain't picking on you specifically. I'm just kinda tired of people doing big WARNING, WARNING: HORNY MAY GROW type of posts for every episode of anything that involves sex, and its more annoying when it's a show about adults also.

All the war and history stuff keeps the setting interesting but at it's core Maria is about worldly institutions forcing a gross importance on somebody's virginity. It's cool if maria is one though, she can gently caress whenever she's down, but it's specifically the antagonistic elements at play that are ascribing that special status to it, all her friends and support treat sex like it isn't anything special, for good reason.

It's a more positive attitude to have than how weird worldwide mentalities about it can get, and plenty of the otaku set place a really weird and gross emphasis on the requirement of purity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharkopath dropping some Real Truths

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm only now getting caught up and Martha, no.
Episode 08 is really sad.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Well that was...disappointing.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I have a very different definition of "disappointing" in my personal dictionary then. For me the last episode was quite charming and representative of the anime as a whole. It also continued along the path that had already been established last week, so there were no surprises in that respect.

It brought about an appropriate resolution to Maria's character arc in light of recent events, as well as a general reflection concerning the themes at the core of the story. Looking back, her opposition to the way the heavens wanted to uphold the natural order wasn't something that could be decided over a giant magical battle without coming across as a giant fallacy. Nor could the concept of war itself be entirely eradicated from the world, regardless of her efforts, because ultimately humans will fight for their own reasons. Bearing that in mind, I think the series found a satisfying way to frame the end of its conflicts in a meaningful manner without being too pretentious.

Of course, it is worth keeping in mind that we are talking about a story taken from a three volume manga rather than a long-running epic . In turn, the anime is a twelve episode show which, while adding many details and expanding certain points of view, remained respectful of the overall spirit and underlying framework of the manga, even if it wasn't obsessed with following everything to the letter. In other words, it was practically impossible for the anime to go all that much beyond its own structural grounding. Like I had hoped, Maria the Virgin Witch turned out to be consistently good. Not necessarily great, but that is quite alright.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I'd mirror that statement. Especially in light of the general subject matter and the material it had to work with, its surprising how well it held up in general. A lot of series, both East and West, would kinda just stumble over themselves trying to tackle the theological concepts.

The big theme that seems to pervade the series, at least to me, is the conflict of faith, whether religious beliefs or ideals, against reality, whether its Michael actually existing to Bernard's absolute horror, or Maria being an oddfish for actually trying instead of just accepting the way things are. I don't think its intentional, but I find it interesting that the most amicable or otherwise good natured of the cast among the Catholics are those willing to accommodate others so long as they're good (see: how Martha and family treat Maria), or actively challenge the inconsistency between what their faith says, and how it seems to actually play out (Joseph shooting Michael being one of the more dramatic examples). The bad guys are largely those who either follow the teachings to the letter, but don't stop to question them, or pay lip service to the notion of being a 'good Catholic', before say, killing their fellow Catholics for flying the wrong flag, or sending a mercenary out to rape someone.

And of course, you have the witches, particularly Maria, who are mostly good people, but are deemed monsters for not conforming to the standards of their time (primarily as witches, the way they dress and their attitudes about say, sex, have to be fairly deliberate). There's a number of things you could have them stand in for, but in general they seem to work well as the Other targeted simply for being Other, even though they're better people than what a lot of society will otherwise tolerate.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This was a good anime and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Also I got a huge laugh out of Bernard in the final episode. Dude was super determined in his path. Shame he got turned to salt. Or was it ash? I couldn't tell.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I have to catch up on the anime but I'm glad it turned out how I thought it would.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The ending was ok. I liked it. Also the Japanese really like their syncretism. I also liked how Cernunnos told Michael 'You're the same as me. You are not forever.'

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm slightly disappointed that Maria didn't instantly get pregnant at the ethereal hug moment. It would've been kinda fitting in my opinion. :v:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

That was charming and fitting, but how the hell do you gently caress up the "future daughter" thing so badly? If you introduce that idea, then the final shot is a family portrait. Period. That's it, that's how it plays out in every piece of media that has ever used that conceit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Odd guy, that Bernard, huge dick and you can't take him seriously but at least he's kind of memorable I guess. Him inventing pseudo-athiesm sure isn't where I figured this was going at the outset.

Strange show, kind of slow at points and could have been more detailed in places but waaaaay better than I think basically anyone expected it to be and pretty good overall.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I always knew it was going to be good, because I have good taste.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm not sure that I love where they took it in the last episode but I can't think of anything I'd have preferred, besides a shot of little Ezekiel. A good show, maybe went a bit too heavy at times but still really really good.

Really excited for the Manga to see what they did differently, since from what was available it seems they deviated quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The most realistic weapons / armor / fighting, in an ANIME??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFOJFyTl1U

Good job, Maria the Virgin Witch anime!

• Locked thread