Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The new episode is up, its good.

It seems like a series that is content to just ask and explore the questions it raises, instead of giving them concrete answers, which is nice. It's also diverging and taking on life of its own as a new adaption, while still including the major elements from the original comic.

Also Viv is sexy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really like how flustered the voice acting can get, it's pretty well done too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

wielder posted:

It's not an unreasonable possibility, especially since nothing is certain at this point, but for now I'm going to take that as a rhetorical question (in the sense those folks consistently aided by Maria might potentially grow too attached and dependent on her, as if she were some sort of deity) rather than a literal development.

Either way, the episode did raise an interesting question about the way different kinds of people approach their faith. There are those who think the perfect practice of faith is incompatible with receiving help from a witch and assume everything should be left up to heavenly will, and those who think there is no such contradiction between genuine religious belief and still accepting help from Maria in times of need.

The deal with the mercenaries resorting to plundering is also one of those issues that people tend to underestimate but which really did happen at various points in world history.

On an unrelated note, Viv was pretty funny. Young Maria was cute. It looks like we're going to be seeing more of Galfa too.

I feel like any adaption of the hundred years war that ignores how rapacious the looting and violence inflicted on the countryside could get wouldn't be a very good adaption.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I think my problem with this show is the setting at large and the secondary cast are so serious and relatively grounded, but then our core cast are a bunch of anime as gently caress children who constantly talk about dicks.

I'm sad you don't like Maria The Virgin Witch, but accept it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like all the sex humor stuff and wouldn't like the show as much if it was gone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Next you'll be trying to convince me that the witches being sexy is bad.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite background witch is the one that just stands on the tip of her broom while flying.

That's some intense witch technique.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the relationships in this show a lot, its full of characters that are all cool people in their own right.

I hope Galfa gets his dream someday, and that Maria and Joseph can find a happiness of their own.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's good, and I like the show when it's willing to explore the situation that its world brings up, but I actually almost wish the show was just a lighthearted slice of life historical comedy with sex jokes more than anything.

It's building up a tension that promises only tragedy when it finally gets released.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everybody deserves happiness and to live together in harmony.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol at the one shot in the battle scene where they animated the dudes like paper cutouts hopping up and down

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In today's episode of Maria: Incredibly bad poo poo happens, to everybody.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think this is my favorite show this season, now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In the comic the person Viv was referring to was specifically Jesus Christ, but they obfuscated it here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yo that music track by the riverside too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wonder if Galfa really does have Moorish blood, and thats why he got so pissed off, or if the dude was just throwing the insult around.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The fullscreen flag shots break up the scene in a way similar to black frames before a dramatic action or movement, and if you wanna go into the symbolism aspect of things it serves a purpose there too. Really the only odd shots were the repetition of arrows firing from the trees and the one where the dudes disappear after being hit by cannon shot. The character animation was all solid this episode.

People got budget on the mind nowadays, I guess.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The way the audio kept going during them definitely suggested 'insert animation here' shenanigans. It sounded like there were moments of action there that we weren't getting.

It's a super common shot in film. Cut away from the action to highlight some symbol or character or object elsewhere while the audio can still be heard. I'd be surprised if you've never seen it before.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

If it was intentional it was very badly done, there were a couple of times where they cut to the shot of a flag for a couple of seconds while the dialogue was still going then straight back to the exact same scene.

Yah I won't disagree with that, I think the entire segment is really strong though, and highlights how badly everything went down.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a really good episode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

It came off as disjointed and chaotic, which I think helped the feel of the battle. I do think it was probably done to ease the animation budget though.

It was probably an intentional choice made to illustrate that, like a bunch of different actions by different factions happening all over the place all at once, the jump cuts to flags and other characters reactions being anchor points. They animated plenty of the battle and what went on that it's not like missing the merc dude stab another dude with his poleaxe is an egregious omission.

It just seems more like something that was planned from the beginning than a sudden quickfix to handle a major production problem.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They didn't, for instance, actually cover any unseen animation with the shot of the flag as you hear the captain turn his back on Galfa. He's mid walk cycle when it cuts back with galfa. It was just a scene transition to get him from one position to the next.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

All the effort of that episode went into the battles; the character development suffered, and has been suffering the past few episodes. I'm tired of Maria's one-note whining about war and fighting, Ezekiel's cognitive dissonance, the other witches caring while not caring, and Jonathan doing whatever the hell he's doing. Most character motivations and/or follow up actions make little sense, and I have low patience for hypocritical warrior pacifist characters and this show grinds them into the content in a particularly annoying way.

There's a good premise to this show, but I feel like it's being put together in a sub-par way, like it's being poorly directed or being stretched thin for whatever reason.

I disagree.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not Christian. I don't know why this would matter to them at all.

I guess it's probably a religious deal at that point though

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Joseph is going to live a happy life with Maria, because love was the true magic all along.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

Oh god I've forgotten to keep up with this. Is it still as good as it started out as. Has it gotten even better?

It's my favorite show this season that's not Parayste or Shirobako.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Or the gundam show.

It's a pretty good season.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is this running 2 cour or 12 episodes? I tried to look it up by the only thing I learned is that like 2 dozen companies are working on the show entirely.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

I've been selling people on this show by pointing out how much weird poo poo this show gets right that I wouldn't expect out of Westerners, let alone the Japanese. My favorite is still Galfa eschewing the dull-as-poo poo blade during the duel and just wailing on the other guy with the pommel.

[Edit: And it sure takes some selling, because man was that first episode rough. Especially when the question "was the owl out blowing dudes?" comes up.]

I wouldn't recommend the animated program "Maria The Virgin Witch", about a witch who uses her Succubus Familiar to gently caress people too tired to fight and will lose her magical powers if she has sex herself, to anybody who is incredibly bothered by the idea of oral sex, or sex at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*In Shaggy, from Scooby Doo Where Are You voice*

B-B-b-b--b-blowjobs??!?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Guyver posted:

I don't think waif would be a good word for her. She basically does odd jobs at a mercenary camp, drags the wounded off the field and carries spoils off. Her entire life revolves around lifting stuff. Also Galfa probably doesn't weight more than 150 lbs and a full suit of armor is only like 50lbs, which he wasn't wearing, so at most she's fireman carrying 170 to 180 lbs. Easily doable for any one physically active. Though that gold cross probably weighed 50 lbs by itself and everyone was throwing it around like it was nothing.

Camp Followers were hardcore and deserve respect.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

grown rear end adults having sex is creepy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That actually all sounded really mean but I ain't picking on you specifically. I'm just kinda tired of people doing big WARNING, WARNING: HORNY MAY GROW type of posts for every episode of anything that involves sex, and its more annoying when it's a show about adults also.

All the war and history stuff keeps the setting interesting but at it's core Maria is about worldly institutions forcing a gross importance on somebody's virginity. It's cool if maria is one though, she can gently caress whenever she's down, but it's specifically the antagonistic elements at play that are ascribing that special status to it, all her friends and support treat sex like it isn't anything special, for good reason.

It's a more positive attitude to have than how weird worldwide mentalities about it can get, and plenty of the otaku set place a really weird and gross emphasis on the requirement of purity.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I have to catch up on the anime but I'm glad it turned out how I thought it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I always knew it was going to be good, because I have good taste.

• Locked thread