Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that escalated quickly. :stare:

I continue to be amazed that Anne's dad isn't dead yet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I figured Ezekiel getting the Grandmother's medicine last episode was probably going to have bad consequences.

Were all those shots of flags supposed to be there or were they censorship because they were certainly obtrusive.

I think they were having budget/production issues. Those looked like 'insert animation here' flags.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the first thing that popped into my head was that episode of Attack on Titan.

Me, I thought about the 'little girl with giant hammer' episode of Akuma no Riddle. Then I thought of Episode 11 of Wizard Barristers, then I realised I was being mean and unfair to a good show and terminated that line of thought.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The fullscreen flag shots break up the scene in a way similar to black frames before a dramatic action or movement, and if you wanna go into the symbolism aspect of things it serves a purpose there too. Really the only odd shots were the repetition of arrows firing from the trees and the one where the dudes disappear after being hit by cannon shot. The character animation was all solid this episode.

People got budget on the mind nowadays, I guess.

The way the audio kept going during them definitely suggested 'insert animation here' shenanigans - normally, stylistic black screen either quiets the audio or uses musical stings or the like. It sounded like there were moments of action there that we weren't getting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It's a super common shot in film. Cut away from the action to highlight some symbol elsewhere while the audio can still be heard. I'd be surprised if you've never seen it before.

I've seen it lots of times, sure, but there's usually some little audio cue to show us that it's self-contained or represents a transition point. This just didn't feel intentional.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I guess I'm just used to accepting that if magic exists in a fictional setting, then magic is essentially part of nature in that setting.

I don't really see why magic and witches aren't just part of nature here, but whatever I supposed. It's something I'd like explained in some fashion at least.

EDIT: I also don't see why heaven would particularly care about people worshiping witches or not, besides "well they just do, god is a jealous god, etc" but that's a bit easier to accept

They care because Christianity (as represented by Michael) has a spiritual monopoly on Europe and doesn't like that Maria's horning in on their metaphysical turf. Ezekiel is basically a mob enforcer who's trying to apply a moral framework to her actions and failing, much to her distress.

It's not that what Maria is doing is wrong or evil, but that it's making some powerful people look bad. The fact that she's kind of naive and short-sighted doesn't help, but it's not why Michael and Bernard have it in for her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not Christian. I don't know why this would matter to them at all.

I guess it's probably a religious deal at that point though

You don't see why an elite with an ideological stranglehold on a country might feel threatened by someone who (a) doesn't like them and (b) has the potential to be an effective, popular alternative?

This isn't about some abstract, metaphysical religious thing. It's about power and people wanting to hold onto it. It's a dictatorship clamping down on the opposition in order to ensure its rule is absolute.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The implication has been for a while that Bernard is in a weird place regarding the tension between his secular and spiritual concerns. Maria's speech may not have been especially profound, but it gave him an out, and it helps (or doesn't, depending on your perspective) that he's already started to identify her with the Virgin Mary, giving her an aura of divine authority.

Do also note that he's based on Bernard of Clairvaux, who was super weird about Mary (link NSFW).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

He also began to kiss her feet which is, in some way a sign of holy reverence if I recall correctly.

Washing feet (which the kissing was an extension of) has considerable religious significance in Christianity, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

There's something funny to me about the inquisitor's reaction. "flying, barriers, fire, whatever but holy poo poo a cat girl!

Hey, we all got our fetishes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

I think its meant to be that he actually recognises her as the girl he was speaking to at one point (though I can't remember the exact episode), but that might just be her looks having been based on that girl - ie, same way Priapus is modelled after Joseph.

Though it is admittedly just funnier to imagine that's where he draws the line on supernatural nonsense.

Also I'd be surprised if Joseph made it out of this. Seriously, the death flag is just so obvious

Anne's dad still isn't dead yet, so I'm inherently suspicious of the value of death flags in this show.

Besides, they've set up an ideal opportunity for Maria to get her magic back by using it to save Joseph, whether from Galfa or from the battle going badly wrong for France as battles usually do in this show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Is this running 2 cour or 12 episodes? I tried to look it up by the only thing I learned is that like 2 dozen companies are working on the show entirely.

It feels paced for one cour.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, though, this is a hella angry show for a Japanese cartoon about medieval France.

It's not bad, just odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Camp follower lady rules. Duel was okay, as was what happened afterwards. Was there even a reason for Cernunos to be in this show? I mean I guess to establish that the supernatural comes from human belief but that's been his only role aside of empty philosophy.

He's one of Maria's (many) tempters, constantly informing her that she, like him, is on the losing side of history and should just back down and live out her days in peaceful obscurity before anyone gets hurt. It has a decent amount of resonance, actually, considering how we know things panned out in the real world.

As for the cross, I'm guessing it's gold-plated, and they plan on melting it off the wood.

• Locked thread