Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm getting kind of annoyed with the church and heavens and whatever and their stance that Maria has "no place" intervening in affairs. Like it's neat and cool when they show stuff like how single mindedly stopping all conflict in the area isn't exactly the best course of action, since that leads to penniless mercenaries who need to raid the locals to get their food. But this thing where Maria's witch powers shouldn't be used because it's "not her place" is annoying. Who's place is it to decide to end war? Is it better that a king do it? Why is it not Maria's place? Why is it that, with regards to humans, the heaven's have a policy of "we don't care, it'll work itself out in the end" but that same hands off thing doesn't apply to witches? How is Maria deciding of ehr own accord to halt all conflict in her little sphere of influence different from mercenaries deciding of their own accord to rape and pillage random villages?

I mean obviously it's because she's a witch but I have yet to see any real reason why that would make a difference, besides "it was already decided on before the show started." Hell I'd be ok if the reason was at least simply just "God doesn't like witches," just at least state why the hell anyone cares more about what Maria does than what random mercenaries do. This thing where I'm just supposed to assume "well that's just how things were at the time, witches are considered heretics and no one likes them because they're heretics, and that's a perfectly suitable explanation for an angel to give" is getting on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

On the other hand, it seems the heavens above (or at least the angels, since the Creator works in mysterious ways and all that) oppose her for various reasons. The use of supernatural powers comes with greater responsibilities than those of normal human abilities.

Why? The power a human king wields is plenty great, they start and perpetuate wars and heaven doesn't give a gently caress. Since when does the power one holds determine one's agency in using those powers? Why does heaven care here, but doesn't care about powerful humans?

wielder posted:

They believe she shouldn't directly and publicly interfere in how regular human beings resolve their conflicts, which is a part of the natural order they claim to uphold.

Why? Why isn't Maria part of that natural order? What excludes witches from the natural order? Why aren't Maria's actions also considered "the natural order?"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I guess I'm just used to accepting that if magic exists in a fictional setting, then magic is essentially part of nature in that setting.

I don't really see why magic and witches aren't just part of nature here, but whatever I supposed. It's something I'd like explained in some fashion at least.

EDIT: I also don't see why heaven would particularly care about people worshiping witches or not, besides "well they just do, god is a jealous god, etc" but that's a bit easier to accept

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 2, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They care because Christianity (as represented by Michael) has a spiritual monopoly on Europe and doesn't like that Maria's horning in on their metaphysical turf.

I'm not Christian. I don't know why this would matter to them at all.

I guess it's probably a religious deal at that point though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I think the reason, not that it's really clear because this show has been spinning it's loving wheels for perhaps an episode or two too long, is tied into the whole power of belief thing. Michael and co don't necessarily wish for the other supers to gently caress off and die, as clearly he doesn't care about them running around on the fringes, what they're worried about is Christianity's preeminence, which would be endangered if every witch had free reign and valkyries went flying around on the visible spectrum. I think the scene here with the Celtic God as well as the previous one with Michael talking about Maria's supposed deific pretensions imply that the more people with faith in you, the stronger you are.

Ok I can accept this

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

You don't see why an elite with an ideological stranglehold on a country might feel threatened by someone who (a) doesn't like them and (b) has the potential to be an effective, popular alternative?

This isn't about some abstract, metaphysical religious thing. It's about power and people wanting to hold onto it. It's a dictatorship clamping down on the opposition in order to ensure its rule is absolute.

I meant why would heaven care

"Heaven's power comes from people believing in them" is a pretty good answer to this, since then heaven actually has a stake in this.

If you remove that, then I don't see why it would matter at all to heaven whether people believed in them or not, outside of "God is a jealous God" I guess

WillieWestwood posted:

We're talking about three worlds here.

Maria's world covers all of nature, including areas deemed by the Church as pagan, if not evil. Anyone who wasn't a Christian could live in this world without fearing much. This show being a fictional show, magic and sorcery should be everywhere, and it is. But the Catholic Church is also shown here, and magic and sorcery are in no way a part of its reality, or shouldn't be.

The Church's world doesn't acknowledge those areas. In the Middle Ages the Church was THE spiritual force in Europe. Witches, astrologers, and anyone else doing things not endorsed by the Church were targeted as being in league with Satan, and thus persecuted. God alone was to be relied upon, through the teachings handed down by the Church. Magic and witches were things to be feared (because of Satanic influence), and the less they were part of nature, the better.

Heaven doesn't interfere because of the free will given to humanity. Heaven's hands-off approach is much like Star Trek's Prime Directive, which dictates that one does not interfere with the culture of the planet the Federation is visiting. The hands-off approach also allows the Church to be God's representative on Earth, as Jesus designed it to be. By the same taken, it doesn't want anyone consulting witches, astrologers, and other ungodly sorts. Still, it allowed belief in these people and angels, and even allowed them to appear once in a while, since the villagers report seeing Maria, St. Michael the Archangel, and other beings.

I like this show. The only qualm I have about it is various characters wanting Maria to lose her virginity, and thus her magical power, as quickly as possible.

I don't care at all about the church (for the purposes of this discussion). My problem was "why does Heaven have a handsoff approach to humans, but not to Maria"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It could, sure. But if that was the case, the show never explained that at all, and I'd still be confused as to why it matters

• Locked thread