Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ninjewtsu posted:

I guess I'm just used to accepting that if magic exists in a fictional setting, then magic is essentially part of nature in that setting.

I don't really see why magic and witches aren't just part of nature here, but whatever I supposed. It's something I'd like explained in some fashion at least.

EDIT: I also don't see why heaven would particularly care about people worshiping witches or not, besides "well they just do, god is a jealous god, etc" but that's a bit easier to accept

We're talking about three worlds here.

Maria's world covers all of nature, including areas deemed by the Church as pagan, if not evil. Anyone who wasn't a Christian could live in this world without fearing much. This show being a fictional show, magic and sorcery should be everywhere, and it is. But the Catholic Church is also shown here, and magic and sorcery are in no way a part of its reality, or shouldn't be.

The Church's world doesn't acknowledge those areas. In the Middle Ages the Church was THE spiritual force in Europe. Witches, astrologers, and anyone else doing things not endorsed by the Church were targeted as being in league with Satan, and thus persecuted. God alone was to be relied upon, through the teachings handed down by the Church. Magic and witches were things to be feared (because of Satanic influence), and the less they were part of nature, the better.

Heaven doesn't interfere because of the free will given to humanity. Heaven's hands-off approach is much like Star Trek's Prime Directive, which dictates that one does not interfere with the culture of the planet the Federation is visiting. The hands-off approach also allows the Church to be God's representative on Earth, as Jesus designed it to be. By the same taken, it doesn't want anyone consulting witches, astrologers, and other ungodly sorts. Still, it allowed belief in these people and angels, and even allowed them to appear once in a while, since the villagers report seeing Maria, St. Michael the Archangel, and other beings.

I like this show. The only qualm I have about it is various characters wanting Maria to lose her virginity, and thus her magical power, as quickly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The most realistic weapons / armor / fighting, in an ANIME??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFOJFyTl1U

Good job, Maria the Virgin Witch anime!

That's pretty awesome! Period anime done the right way.

• Locked thread