Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Question, how do you guys learn to speed up? Which I guess I know the basics of (ie. practice) but for example, here's my output from today:

Thoughts? Should I just spend more time doing timed sketches until my brain adjusts? Can I beat myself in the head with a piece of surgical two-by-four until it cooperates? Is it time for the long overdue return of trepanning?

Best advice I can give is start very general with loose, soft lines and try to get a feel for the character's overall pose/figure, how weight is distributed, etc before you do anything else. If you can nail that, even if there are like zero details it should still look good and help you solidify how you want to draw the character. For gestures in particular, details and completing every line isn't important. You just want to be able to clearly see the pose/motion/etc (Flow, Rhythm whatever you want to call it). That trumps even anatomy/proportion when it comes to pure gesture.

Also something I've noticed that I think is not a terribly rare thing is that sometimes I can feel and visualize a pose fairly quickly, other times it's more difficult. Sometimes if I have trouble getting a feel for a pose, I can spend a lot of time trying to fix it but nothing really gels together and I end up just wasting a lot of time. In that case I'm just better off starting over and accepting that sometimes a drawing isn't going to work and that's okay. Crumple it up, toss it in the garbage and start over. Knowing when to quit a drawing can save you tons of time. Like 10 sketches in an hour with like 3-4 of them being good is going to feel much better than 1 drawing that you've agonized over for the entire time frame and still aren't happy with. You gotta ditch the notion that every drawing needs to be of a certain quality and just be willing to call it and start a new one. Also even if you are doing quick sketches there is nothing wrong with taking a little time to think things through and don't forget you can use reference too when you get stuck visualizing something. It's not cheating!

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread