Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqn8_tL9tms - Season 3 'Face Off' Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_60p8nToAGw - Season 3 full promo

SEASON THREE PREMIERES WED. JAN 28 @ 10PM ET ON FX
Season 1 & 2 available on Amazon Prime *Note: Now through February 4th, own the first two seasons of The Americans for $19.99 in HD or stream episodes on Prime Instant Video.
Season 2 thread | Wikipedia | IMDB
Special thanks to DivisionPost for writing the S2 OP which I have stolen and re-purposed in parts

The series was created by novelist Joe Weisberg (a former CIA officer) working under the tutelage of Graham Yost (Justified, The Pacific). His impression of the pilot script was "annoyingly good." Also on the writing staff is Joshua Brand, co-creator of Northern Exposure, St. Elsewhere, Amazing Stories, and The White Shadow. A number of people involved behind the scenes with Justified also work on the show.

Season 2 had the shows writers working with Oliver North who wrote the episode Martial Eagle, for a first person account of the Iran-Contra storyline in which he was involved.

Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), Frank Gaad (Richard Thomas), Martha Hanson (Alison Wright)
The FBI
The counterintelligence team of the Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking to take down or recruit KGB agents operating inside America.

Nina Sergeevna (Annet Mahendru), Arkady Ivanovich (Lev Gorn), Oleg Burov (Costa Ronin)
The KGB
The Rezidentura is the base of Soviet espionage operations in the US, based out of the Soviet Embassy, and receives orders from The Center, which is the central headquarters of the KGB in Moscow, especially those departments concerned with foreign espionage and counterintelligence. The Rezidentura then contacts Directorate S agents 'illegals' via handlers, coded messages or dead drops.

Phillip (Matthew Rhys), Elizabeth (Keri Russel), Paige (Holly Taylor), Henry (Keidrich Sellati)
The Jennings
Philip and Elizabeth are KGB Directorate S deep cover agents 'Illegals' posing as Americans. As a cover, they own and run a travel agency. They arrived in the US in August, 1965.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BGNLzfW8c - Season Two Recap

In the season 3 trailer it looks like SPOILER Elizabeth encounters the CIA on the street face to face. While much of the season will focus around Paige and how the KGB want Phillip and Elizabeth to recruit her as a second generation directive S operative.
After recurring in the first two seasons, Lev Gorn, who plays Arkady Ivanovich was promoted to series regular for season three while co-star Noah Emmerich (Stan Beeman) directed the seventh episode of the season, marking his directorial debut.
Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon), joins the cast to replace Margo Martindale as the handler, although she will hopefully make an appearance this season.

Episodes will air Wednesday nights at 10PM on FX.

1 - "EST Men" Jan 28, 2015
2 - "Baggage" Feb 4, 2015
3 - "Open House" Feb 11, 2015
4 - "Dimebag" Feb 18, 2015
5 - "Salang Pass" Feb 25, 2015
6 - "Born Again" Mar 4, 2015
7 - "Walter Taffet" Mar 11, 2015
8 - TBA, 2015
9 - TBA, 2015
10 - "Stingers" 2015
11 - "One Day in the Life of Anton Baklanov" 2015
12 - TBA, 2015
13 - TBA, 2015 [Season finale]

Show posters

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Best show on television.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
This show owns. It's easily the best show no one is watching. I know you hear people say that all the time, but it's really true in this case.

Start watching this show if you haven't damnit.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I've been rewatching S2 in anticipation for S3 and I'm pumped.

Also, the FBI caught some Russian spies in the Bronx or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I am so excited for this.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I honestly can't wait to see how much NBC fucks up their blatant copy of this.

"No, it's totally different, see? We're making the son super-smart, sort of copying off of 'The Pretender,' and setting the show in *modern day*, after the sleeper agents (who still speak with discernable Russian accents) have been deactivated for something like two decades. It'll be ratings *gold*...for us, at least. We consider a solid 1.0 a 'win.'"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 28, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't wait. I'm behind on pretty much every serious show I watch, but think I'll have to push The Americans to the front of the line because of how damned good it is.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I can't wait to see if this'll be the season where it all falls apart for Martha. Probably not, but by god that's a ticking time bomb if there ever was one.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
This season is supposed to revolve around recruiting Paige. I hope the show is able to develop that storyline without actually involving Paige until late in the season. She is my least favorite character.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I honestly can't wait to see how much NBC fucks up their blatant copy of this.

"No, it's totally different, see? We're making the son super-smart, sort of copying off of 'The Pretender,' and setting the show in *modern day*, after the sleeper agents (who still speak with discernable Russian accents) have been deactivated for something like two decades. It'll be ratings *gold*...for us, at least. We consider a solid 1.0 a 'win.'"
I laugh every time I see commercials for that show. NBC forgot to slap an "ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL" disclaimer on it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

grrarg posted:

This season is supposed to revolve around recruiting Paige. I hope the show is able to develop that storyline without actually involving Paige until late in the season. She is my least favorite character.

I kind of hate the whole second generation spy thing. The basic premise of this show is pretty silly to begin with, but somehow that just pushes it over the edge for me.

...of course, I still love this show and I loved season two. I just hate that this season is going to focus on the one thing I'm not super thrilled about. :(

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Omg omg omg I forgot this is back tonight. :woop:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Fetus Tree posted:

Omg omg omg I forgot this is back tonight. :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of hate the whole second generation spy thing. The basic premise of this show is pretty silly to begin with, but somehow that just pushes it over the edge for me.

Same here. It's totally implausible, since Paige attempting to enter the intelligence field (as more than a secretary) would scrutinize far back beyond Phil and Liz, and also require interviews (and investigations of) relatives. I don't care how competent an agency is, but getting a security clearance in the late 80s/early 90s was a whole hell of a lot different than it is now.

It'd be different if they were chasing the angle simply because Paige is approaching college age and they have an 'in' with regards to Agent Beeman, meaning Paige could get recommendations from him for college, the FBI, CIA, etc. Beeman's still has ultra-top-secret-with-guacamole clearance now, which would make a letter of recommendation from him rather weighty. There's only one problem - Paige hates the gubbermint but luvz Jesus.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Well, I for one am going to let the show either do it or not do it before I judge the show for doing or not doing something I may or may not like

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
So excited to have this back on the air. Hopefully it will pick up more viewers this season because there aren't that many compelling shows left on TV right now and this has a couple seasons for people to binge watch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Well, I for one am going to let the show either do it or not do it before I judge the show for doing or not doing something I may or may not like

Same here, it's just one of those :cripes: things.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Same here. It's totally implausible, since Paige attempting to enter the intelligence field (as more than a secretary) would scrutinize far back beyond Phil and Liz, and also require interviews (and investigations of) relatives. I don't care how competent an agency is, but getting a security clearance in the late 80s/early 90s was a whole hell of a lot different than it is now.

You guys are seriously overestimating the degree to which background checks are conducted. It would be considered stringent if they went back and interviewed friends of Paige's, much less take a hard look at her parents.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Alright, its go time :getin:

E: btw, what year is it supposed to be?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Wow, this is what a loving OP should look like! I'm so psyched for another season of this show.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Binge watched the first two seasons, looking forward to this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Corte posted:

Wow, this is what a loving OP should look like! I'm so psyched for another season of this show.

Yeah, I should've said something earlier, but great work, drunkill.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

Alright, its go time :getin:

E: btw, what year is it supposed to be?

82 or 83, more likely late 82. The Camaro that's bought in the second season is the first of the Z28s.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"How do you like them apples?"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Party Plane Jones posted:

82 or 83, more likely late 82. The Camaro that's bought in the second season is the first of the Z28s.

Every season I like to try and figure out what sort of nerdy kid thing that I also enjoyed is coming out for that family's son to enjoy haha. Was hoping for return of the jedi this season

Did they change the intro a bit?

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 29, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gave him a great look at your face there Liz.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I know this is from the Russian couple's perspective but it seems like they've gotten the upper hand over and over again. Did the U.S. Suck that bad, or were we having successes elsewhere?

Pops Ghostly
Dec 20, 2014

by Ralp
I love this show. I hope it lasts awhile and the kids get involved. Can you imagine Elizabeth showing Paige the ropes, and double teaming some dumb politician, or government agent.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Shoulda killed John Boy :colbert:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Well, I didn't Google it but i think we came out on top overall.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well that's starting out with a bang, Elizabeth kicking the poo poo out of Gaad :stare:

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

tomapot posted:

I know this is from the Russian couple's perspective but it seems like they've gotten the upper hand over and over again. Did the U.S. Suck that bad, or were we having successes elsewhere?

It's just a case of the main characters having insane plot armor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

drat Stan, you don't just open up somebody else's fridge uninvited.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It is officially the gulag for Nina :smith:

And possibly firing squad :smithicide:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

howe_sam posted:

drat Stan, you don't just open up somebody else's fridge uninvited.

Tbf, they're basically best friends.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tomapot posted:

The U.S. had successes but they were very much in the realm of signals intelligence (bugging the soviet navy communications) over human intelligence. The 80s saw a lot of programs get screwed by people selling secrets to the Soviets. Most of the human intelligence successes actually came from US allies (the Farewell dossier, Oleg Gordievsky) instead of the CIA.

The U.S. also had a bunch of captured Soviet planes and tanks from various nations that sold or gave them up in exchange for US equivalents. The CONSTANT PEG program was a result of that. It also had the slight side effect of getting an Air Force general killed as he bypassed all the training for the MIG23 he was flying and rode it until it broke up around him,

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh hey that dude owns

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The spies engage in a decadent, American game of Scrabble?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:stonk: Welp, it's The Americans alright.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Hawh Martha tries the kama sutra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Phillip's face during that kama sutra scene was wonderful.

• Locked thread