Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fun fact dvr users have to look at the tv while fast forwarding and brand recall of ads is roughly similar to people who don't skip them especially now that they make ads to account for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pagancow, your job rates right up there with child rape in terms of net value created in the world, you should probably just make peace with that

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

gently caress I love adverts

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

pagancow, your job rates right up there with child rape in terms of net value created in the world, you should probably just make peace with that

yeah and next you're going to tell me they shouldn't have vacated joe paternos wins too

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

qirex posted:

fun fact dvr users have to look at the tv while fast forwarding and brand recall of ads is roughly similar to people who don't skip them especially now that they make ads to account for this

if they ever remove the ability to program 30 sec skip button i dont know what i might do.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

qirex posted:

in the near future dvr will be cloud dvr and will have the same behavior as vod today where fast-forwarding during ad breaks is blocked by the set-top box

welp, have a nice day

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

yeah and next you're going to tell me they shouldn't have vacated joe paternos wins too

now that's a timely segue!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fast forwarding is only for content

why would you want to skip messages from our valued branding partners who have made this content presentation possible?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Enderzero posted:

if they ever remove the ability to program 30 sec skip button i dont know what i might do.

watch parts of ads as you fast forward through them?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys the whole industry doesn't care about DVR. only 20% of people actually use it

and only 60% of those people are actually skipping ads, its such a small part of the audience that would rather janitor their TV watching experience.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and guess what, people watch the ads they like

deep down inside

you like ads, because they are on par with the content you are watching (not hard)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont watch tv

like srs

i might catch the new ep of teen mom or w/e if it drops

but eh

you can get the score + highlights on nhl.com for anything important

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they'd do it because they can, just like how some brand manager got a bug up his rear end and now you can't skip trailers on your dvds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

and guess what, people watch the ads they like

deep down inside

you like ads, because the entire advertising industry exist solely to manipulate you into doing so and there's about 100 years of science behind it now too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

And the most expensive Super Bowl commercial of all time is:

1. Chrysler: Imported From Detroit – Cost: $12.4 million

Year: 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghMSq5FUZ8

lol who the hell would import a car from the wasteland?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Enderzero posted:

the 30 second skip on my tivo premiere isn't actually 30 seconds and doesn't just jump it fast-forwards through what it's skipping over about 3 seconds

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

qirex posted:

the 30 second skip on my tivo premiere isn't actually 30 seconds and doesn't just jump it fast-forwards through what it's skipping over about 3 seconds

my condolences. 7 taps of the button usually me through a break. the fact that comcast still allows button programming is honestly surprising to me

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

You still pay for the 100+ a month service.

you also get datamined for what you watch and record and skip.

it's not like you're cheating anybody when you skip ads, the ad guys who who's skipping.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

timeshifters still watch ads, you rebuy for where they watch and everything is good

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol if you pay for broadcast television

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pagancow posted:

timeshifters still watch ads, you rebuy for where they watch and everything is good

this is why the industry keeps trying to shift the currency

live -> live +3 -> live + 7

but hey ratings still keep dropping what to do

where did the audience go

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the terrible truth is that all advertising is as effective as internet advertising, it's just internet advertising is the only one that's measurable and traditional media is bending over backwards to keep the illusion going that tv ads and billboards have magic secret sauce

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gently caress I love adverts

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

pagancow posted:

You still pay for the 100+ a month service.

you also get datamined for what you watch and record and skip.

it's not like you're cheating anybody when you skip ads, the ad guys who who's skipping.

lol you think people skip ads because they want to "cheat" or get something for free. people skip ads because they are piss garbage trash waste of time aimed at drooling retards

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
you're right about the content being more or less equivalent though. this is the superb owl we're talking about

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pagancow has escaped containment

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

the terrible truth is that all advertising is as effective as internet advertising, it's just internet advertising is the only one that's measurable and traditional media is bending over backwards to keep the illusion going that tv ads and billboards have magic secret sauce

internet advertising can be more effective because it can be targeted pretty precisely. traditional tv ads are a shotgun approach and/or just budget burning (ex: car ads)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

haha holy poo poo i thought this was a joke were through the looking glass now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's very real. I saw it on cable television

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i mute the tv and knit when commercials are on

sometimes i miss part of my show but oh well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

haha holy poo poo i thought this was a joke were through the looking glass now

it's pure distilled :911:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

my tivo hd is still suiting needs but the 160gb drive is puny

also i hope the seahawks win like 77-0 and all the patriots players are banned for life from the nfl and north america

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pagancow posted:

WAAA i hate the thing that allows me to enjoy this entertainment for free instead of being asked to pay $20 for it!!!!

on top of the $100 I pay to see it!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the losing team should commit seppuku on the field, joined by their dishonoured fans

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
no, this is the pure distilled :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FgqEpDMsE4

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

pagancow posted:

im so proud you uninstalled adblock

HoW am I supposed to view ads without getting aids on mycomputer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

emoji posted:

HoW am I supposed to view ads without getting aids on mycomputer

uninstall java and flash

bam no more drive-by computer aids and almost no ads to boot

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
That's an awful lot of unearned trust to place in browser vendors

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

qirex posted:

Shaggar posted:

internet advertising can be more effective because it can be targeted pretty precisely. traditional tv ads are a shotgun approach and/or just budget burning (ex: car ads)

well the thing marketers like about traditional bog standard tv is

1. they think they know how grps (ratings) translate to sales uplift (tons of history here)
2. you had scale and reach

everything else out there either lacks one of the above or both

however marketers, especially big conglomerates like kraft, love using their own data on digital

the trick will be unifying audience again to reach old school tv scale/reach with all the newfangled data

also having a currency or currencies that publishers/tv programmers/distributors and the advertisers all agree to transact on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wat

• Locked thread