Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Forums Terrorist posted:

also someone get cremnob in here, we need to reach the badposting singularity

don't be so modest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Crusader posted:

possible - i guess its arguable that using facebook data (which is what nielsen's online ratings product does) is "more betar than" the surveys and what not

its more that marketers really did feel like they understood how a ratings point translated into how many people saw and would "respond to" whatever goofy creative they came up with, and that model is broken now with all the screens and options

there has been a massive revolution recently in the understanding of "attention" and "engagement" and it has drastically altered the perception of/value of ad impressions. to keep it brief, the actual value of advertisements is super duper low from a financial standpoint. people were never really engaging with a "brand" even if that brand catered to a certain lifestyle people engage with activities and interactions. so if your product doesn't have a kinesthetic component, advertising is useless

ad companies and media are TERRIFIED of this becoming more widespread and have been actively murking up the water on this research because if it ever catches on modern media as we know it will implode.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the old "you're wasting 50% of your ad budget" chestnut was wildly optimistic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hell the entire idea of brand "engagement" was dreamed up by agencies when their clients didn't see a direct sales bump from a campaign

"no, it's cool these consumers aren't buying but they're involved with your brand now so please keep giving us all your money"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm actually kind of worried that the entirety of media is predicated on the fact that a bunch of old rich people refuse to accept that things have changed. they just keep shifting money back and forth trying to keep the black heart pumping but it just isn't working any more. all it takes is a couple of these old dudes to keel over and the system collapses on itself.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Brand engagment is a thing, otherwise coke would sell no better than sams cola.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

in some markets it doesn't

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

here is a relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiO_JES4yBY

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol brand means nothing guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PymAKHjmfCE

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

there is no way in this world we live in that people make decisions to part with money based off emotional responses to an idea that has been built up in their head over a long period of time (brand is a myth)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yep you guys figured it out!

lets all buy Sams Cola now

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

BRAND MEANS NOTHING GUYS

*goes out and buys apple because it makes them feel a certain way that other computing products dont*

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

yeah of course

it's just that sometimes that sword cuts both ways, like how vita cola outsells coca-cola in eastern germany b/c ostalgie or that one milk drink in australia is a top seller

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

beep boop people everywhere are the same

*assumes all markets are made of american grad students b/c lol you never bothered to test your methods on anyone else*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yo pagancow we're all aware of reductio ad absurdum at this point

if brand engagement works like the industry says it does then everyone would love microsoft surfaces [$2 bil spent on marketing so far]

your brand is your products not your ads and you build brand loyalty by giving people good experiences with your product, not by shouting your brand message at them

red bull has the worst ads of all time and everybody hates them but seeing the product everywhere and sponsoring all sorts of silly extreme sports activities makes it a hit

the best an ad can do is tell you something new exists or reinforce previously-held attitudes

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

also yosposters are well-off on average and hella brand obsessed, the perfect market

if you can't sell them stuff then you're a garbage adman i tell ya what

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I like off brand cola

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
And surface

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
red bull's advertising is good because they make insanely sick youtube videos and sponsor people to do exrteme stuff instead of infescting my computer

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rexicon1 posted:

there has been a massive revolution recently in the understanding of "attention" and "engagement" and it has drastically altered the perception of/value of ad impressions. to keep it brief, the actual value of advertisements is super duper low from a financial standpoint. people were never really engaging with a "brand" even if that brand catered to a certain lifestyle people engage with activities and interactions. so if your product doesn't have a kinesthetic component, advertising is useless

ad companies and media are TERRIFIED of this becoming more widespread and have been actively murking up the water on this research because if it ever catches on modern media as we know it will implode.

good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys, toyota has sponsored the ADZONE the place where you get to vote on your favorite superbowl ads:

http://www.hulu.com/adzone/

this ran in front of a a hulu video for me. they know their target market:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The Ad for Adzone told me : "some people like games, and some people go for food, but you have sophisticated tastes" its like they know who I am exactly and made me feel good and

NO BRAND ENGAGEMENT IS NOT A THING

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

The Ad for Adzone told me : "some people like games, and some people go for food, but you have sophisticated tastes" its like they know who I am exactly and made me feel good and

NO BRAND ENGAGEMENT IS NOT A THING

you sound insane

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

guys, toyota has sponsored the ADZONE the place where you get to vote on your favorite superbowl ads:

:negative:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

shut up about ads the only good soop'r bohhl thing has dropped

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/27/7916937/breaking-madden-super-bowl-2015-seahawks-patriots

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

looks good to me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u can also watch the kitten bowl on hallmark channel

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the , uh, "kitten cam" is LIVE

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/kitten-bowl/kittencam

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

this is the only link i clicked itt

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

u can also watch the kitten bowl on hallmark channel

omg

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Cold on a Cob posted:

this is the only link i clicked itt

lol no wonder why you think ads are dumb if all you browse are places where they sell kitchen soap to

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

puppy bowl supremacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

this is because these brands are concerned that their $4 million/30 seconds minimum ad buy won't actually cut it so the superbowl/nbc put this together to make them feel better about their "investment"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ugh guys you only hate ads because you're poor and boring :smug:

be interesting and rich like me just like the ad says

i love ads
ads... love me? i need more. i work on ads all day then post in yospos about ads around sportsball time because i want other people to love ads too in order to validate my work shoveling bullshit to society

the only valid opinions are those built by teams of marketers and forced directly into your anus

ads

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ad my neg hole

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

this is because these brands are concerned that their $4 million/30 seconds minimum ad buy won't actually cut it so the superbowl/nbc put this together to make them feel better about their "investment"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys nobody cares about these ads.

at all

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

its all bots and stuff thats the only reason why it looks like its working

its the crazy ad men trying to justify their jobs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001