Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dumb tech blog the verge bought a superbowl ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so why did they make that awful overproduced video?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that stream is going to bonk so badly

I watch soccer games using their app and those sometimes chug and I'd be surprised if 5000 people were watching

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

watching football with tivo is awesome

also puppy bowl

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fun fact dvr users have to look at the tv while fast forwarding and brand recall of ads is roughly similar to people who don't skip them especially now that they make ads to account for this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Enderzero posted:

if they ever remove the ability to program 30 sec skip button i dont know what i might do.

the 30 second skip on my tivo premiere isn't actually 30 seconds and doesn't just jump it fast-forwards through what it's skipping over about 3 seconds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the terrible truth is that all advertising is as effective as internet advertising, it's just internet advertising is the only one that's measurable and traditional media is bending over backwards to keep the illusion going that tv ads and billboards have magic secret sauce

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the old "you're wasting 50% of your ad budget" chestnut was wildly optimistic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hell the entire idea of brand "engagement" was dreamed up by agencies when their clients didn't see a direct sales bump from a campaign

"no, it's cool these consumers aren't buying but they're involved with your brand now so please keep giving us all your money"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yo pagancow we're all aware of reductio ad absurdum at this point

if brand engagement works like the industry says it does then everyone would love microsoft surfaces [$2 bil spent on marketing so far]

your brand is your products not your ads and you build brand loyalty by giving people good experiences with your product, not by shouting your brand message at them

red bull has the worst ads of all time and everybody hates them but seeing the product everywhere and sponsoring all sorts of silly extreme sports activities makes it a hit

the best an ad can do is tell you something new exists or reinforce previously-held attitudes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

puppy bowl supremacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

guys, toyota has sponsored the ADZONE the place where you get to vote on your favorite superbowl ads:

http://www.hulu.com/adzone/

this ran in front of a a hulu video for me. they know their target market:

this is because these brands are concerned that their $4 million/30 seconds minimum ad buy won't actually cut it so the superbowl/nbc put this together to make them feel better about their "investment"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trying to make snapchat about anything more than limiting the impact of questionable decision making seems dumb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Super Bowl ad before apart from that "what is up?" one from the 1990s

that commercial ruined door buzzer intercom coversations for like 3 years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

over/under on superbowl ads using pop culture terms like bae and on fleek?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've never once drunk a budweiser on purpose and they've probably spent several hundred dollars trying to convince me to do so

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

somehow I got on an old person mailing list and I've been getting medicare part b and prescription plans and life insurance ads for like seven years, probably several thousand dollars worth of direct mail advertising that goes directly into my shredder

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was disappointed when I found out how lovely rogue treats their staff because I like dead guy

arrogant bastard should come with a fedora instead of a cap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apparently this is the year of exploiting amputees for cheap sympathy points

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not caring about either team this is a pretty lackluster game of football and pretty lackluster selection of TV advertisements

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is the longest period between branded content of the last 24 hours of nbc programming

I guess the whole thing is technically pepsi though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i saw the pepsi logo once in the actual content. there was some pop-up video bullshit, but who was even seeing that

but there could have been so many more logos

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they should have used these guys

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"hey guys let's use the superbowl to highlight that our tablets lack the battery life to work for the length of a football game"
- microsoft brand manager timmy, age 8

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some seriously sub-par branded content happening in this cross-media extravaganza

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

http://admeter.usatoday.com/results/2015

sportstalk about how your ad should be ranked higher because ~reasons~

everyone whose ad came in under the dead kid ad is p mad about their spend

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only way that ad could have been more distasteful was if it showed the grieving parents spending the insurance money on a sweet powerboat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

beer nerd friends of mine are legit mad about that ad

making fun of effete elitists is an old chestnut though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who makes beer face so I try to get her to taste all my beers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

franklin and bash looked like the bro-iest show ever so I never watched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU