Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
time to celebrate the insane capitalist excess of the superbowl with every consumer's favourite past time: ad consumption!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
q: how many billions of dollars can we blown on a game of hand-egg?

a: more than ever before!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

And the most expensive Super Bowl commercial of all time is:

1. Chrysler: Imported From Detroit – Cost: $12.4 million

Year: 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghMSq5FUZ8

i'm the ad that plays before allowing me to watch the ad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

look at how thoughtful this fast food company is now i will feel better when i eat there.

man americans are loving nuts for god

is you're entire nation just a bunch of fundy biblethumpers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

im so proud you uninstalled adblock

i've never installed adblock

i just close content that has ads, because i don't care enough to see it if it requires i be subjected to advertising

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

watching football with tivo is awesome

no goddammit! if you do that they'll stop making the superballs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

waaa its so terrible they show me these things that i might buy!!!

yes, unironically it is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow, your job rates right up there with child rape in terms of net value created in the world, you should probably just make peace with that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

yeah and next you're going to tell me they shouldn't have vacated joe paternos wins too

now that's a timely segue!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fast forwarding is only for content

why would you want to skip messages from our valued branding partners who have made this content presentation possible?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they'd do it because they can, just like how some brand manager got a bug up his rear end and now you can't skip trailers on your dvds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

and guess what, people watch the ads they like

deep down inside

you like ads, because the entire advertising industry exist solely to manipulate you into doing so and there's about 100 years of science behind it now too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

haha holy poo poo i thought this was a joke were through the looking glass now

it's pure distilled :911:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the losing team should commit seppuku on the field, joined by their dishonoured fans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

emoji posted:

HoW am I supposed to view ads without getting aids on mycomputer

uninstall java and flash

bam no more drive-by computer aids and almost no ads to boot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Crusader posted:

also having a currency or currencies that publishers/tv programmers/distributors and the advertisers all agree to transact on

so, like, klout or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

who was the nutjob who posted a megathread length post about his phd project to monetize attention in his bespoke social network through attention coins or some such ridiculous bullshit?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Crusader posted:

that is a lot of the disagreement - an advertiser will be like "hey only 10 percent of who i gave a poo poo about saw my ad, not gonna pay"

clearly publishers/content owners do not like that unless they themselves can predict the % breakout in advance as well

so much like now it's in everyones' best interests to lie about everything and the data itself is completely worthless and also not in any way related to the "value" of the service?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

i always thought about setting up a site with backgrounds beneath all the ads that simply say

CONSUME
BUY AND OBEY
FACE TO CAPITALISM

THEY LIVE was a documentary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh hohoho.

no. you're not getting me that easily

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, that would be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

lol if u don't like capitalism

oh i'm loling all the drat day long

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Palace of Hate posted:

raytheon has some hella dank brand synergy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acJ3xyhaJo

see, now this worked.

i am significantly more likely to consider purchasing and deploying MALD, JSOW & HARM in my next engagement against an advanced military force after having seen this informative advertisement.

the demonstration of the product in a hypothetical scenario along with the itemized feature list and tactical benefits of each portion of the SAM system really brought it together for me

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 27, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

death to those who try to sell me dish soap!

but sell me a missile so i can kill THIS IS THE LIFE

the gently caress do i need to dish soap for? the help handles that.

on the other hand i'm not asking my filipino maid to handle offensive armament procurement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you've done pretty well for yourself for a guy who got caught committing treason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the entire industry top to bottom relies on the mutual agreement that no one peers behind the curtain.

as long as no one does, everyone gets to keep making claims about the incredible value they've generated for each other

pagancow gets to win emmys and nbc gets to produce snl

don't gently caress with the system man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

consumerism is the void

it's not waiting, you're in it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

define easy as it pertains to someone living in the first/second/third world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you're already paying up front, unless your time has no value i suppose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there isn't any :ssh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they are both equally without value to any of the parties involved

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the value of this ad watched exclusively by no one at all is that one day a person already looking for a thing related to the ad will find a site involving the product in the ad no one saw and perhaps make a purchase there that they would have made in either case

so if you sell more ad space your website could be the lucky one used to funnel the consumer to the product they were already looking for

this adds value to the chain because

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

emoji posted:

animals advertise too

goddamn peacocks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the value created by machines watching ads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what's your alexa® rank anyway?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a world leader in spastic shitposting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

One more day until adshed

untill then lets get some PSAs on the line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g032MPrSjFA

that spot was spectacular in the way it missed the mark so utterly and completely.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

There was this one ad that was on lifetime for some neutrogena wrinkle cream that was basically like "you're ugly, and your boyfriend is looking at other women, get him to look at you again with this wrinkle cream!!!"

tbf this is true, if you're old enough to have wrinkles your boyfriend is fantasizing about someone younger.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to celebrate this momentous soup bowl day i will be making chicken kale soup

i may also see if one of the american ota broadcast networks has the soup bowl

presumably nbc does right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i get abc, nbc, cbs, fox, and pbs in ota hd here (i'm right on the lake). a couple other networks i've never heard of too that seem to do specialty programming.

• Locked thread