Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/technology/nbc-sets-streaming-showcase-super-bowl-tv-ads/137299

quote:

NBC Sports Digital’s free live stream of Super Bowl XLIX between the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots will carry a separate ad load than its TV-centric counterpart, but consumers who take the OTT route on Super Bowl Sunday won’t miss any of the spots.

Ahead of the matchup on Sunday, Feb. 1, NBC Sports Digital has launched a Super Bowl NBC Sports Tumblr page that will showcase the big game’s TV ads immediately after they air on NBC.

will people wathcing the stream be confused the ads are dynamic and not the same as their neighbors??

edit: youve come a long way comcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

akamai still cant handle peak traffic

world cup was also a problem for them

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

qirex posted:

fun fact dvr users have to look at the tv while fast forwarding and brand recall of ads is roughly similar to people who don't skip them especially now that they make ads to account for this

in the near future dvr will be cloud dvr and will have the same behavior as vod today where fast-forwarding during ad breaks is blocked by the set-top box

welp, have a nice day

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pagancow posted:

timeshifters still watch ads, you rebuy for where they watch and everything is good

this is why the industry keeps trying to shift the currency

live -> live +3 -> live + 7

but hey ratings still keep dropping what to do

where did the audience go

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

qirex posted:

the terrible truth is that all advertising is as effective as internet advertising, it's just internet advertising is the only one that's measurable and traditional media is bending over backwards to keep the illusion going that tv ads and billboards have magic secret sauce

Shaggar posted:

internet advertising can be more effective because it can be targeted pretty precisely. traditional tv ads are a shotgun approach and/or just budget burning (ex: car ads)

well the thing marketers like about traditional bog standard tv is

1. they think they know how grps (ratings) translate to sales uplift (tons of history here)
2. you had scale and reach

everything else out there either lacks one of the above or both

however marketers, especially big conglomerates like kraft, love using their own data on digital

the trick will be unifying audience again to reach old school tv scale/reach with all the newfangled data

also having a currency or currencies that publishers/tv programmers/distributors and the advertisers all agree to transact on

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

infernal machines posted:

so, like, klout or something?

sure - as long as everyone feels like they understand how your estimating audience segments/demos and the data is somewhat plausible (whether it comes directly off devices/set-top boxes or not, or is panel-based with statistical inferences or whatever), it can work

it just comes down to someone or many saying

"hey you wanted this audience, well you hit X% with your campaign on Y content"

and the person who owns or distributes said content agreeing to pay based on that %

that is a lot of the disagreement - an advertiser will be like "hey only 10 percent of who i gave a poo poo about saw my ad, not gonna pay"

clearly publishers/content owners do not like that unless they themselves can predict the % breakout in advance as well

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

infernal machines posted:

so much like now it's in everyones' best interests to lie about everything and the data itself is completely worthless and also not in any way related to the "value" of the service?

possible - i guess its arguable that using facebook data (which is what nielsen's online ratings product does) is "more betar than" the surveys and what not

its more that marketers really did feel like they understood how a ratings point translated into how many people saw and would "respond to" whatever goofy creative they came up with, and that model is broken now with all the screens and options

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

also theres the "how do i, as a SUPREMELY TALENTED CONTENT CREATOR get paid for my genius when the masses watch my farts"

20 years ago it was relatively simple

viewer > ads/pay tv subscription > programmer > studios > guilds > plebs and grips

now its this goddamn mess

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

when will super bowl be on facebook

hint

never

quote:

“I don’t think it matters what that content is,” Sandberg said in response to a question about whether Facebook would be looking to do more deals to add more premium video content, similar to what YouTube has been doing. “We have an NFL test right now but we are already seeing explosive growth without it. We haven’t figured out what the mix needs to be.”

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lifetime is owned by ae networks

they are doing more dynamic ad decisioning/insertion on their on-demand content

so you can watch grumpy cat special and get ads tailored just for you

on your set-top box or ipad

it uses 'history' to do it!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pagancow posted:

personalized ads increases your inventory.

not always; constraining "who" should see the ad makes it harder for both sides (advertiser and content owner/distributor) to agree on "who" actually saw it

so you can get into an arbitrage situation

advertiser: only 5% of who I really wanted to see my ad saw it according to my data i wont show you, so not gonna pay (but really i know i got all those other views for free)

thats why currency is important (e.g. nielsen)

as flawed as ratings points are, everyone knew what to expect and could plan around it

this will be fixed in the brave new world of all content on all screens (or needs to be fixed before all content can be on all screens), but will take time

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-everywhere/nbcu-tees-super-stream-sunday/387049

quote:

NBCU said all Super Bowl content will be live streamed to desktops and tablets via NBC Sports Live Extra, while The Blacklist will also be streamed to browsers at NBC.com.

Update: NBCU will use different ad loads for its traditional TV and digital coverage, though all digital ad buyers have purchased TV ads. While some of the advertising reative will be the same, consumers watching the stream will not see the same commercial pattern.

literal dehumanization, machine will pick your ads for super bowl for first time

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pagancow posted:

I wonder who's paying who on these:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/carls-lock/conference-championship-colts-vs-patriots/

funny football meta branded content for the NFL or licensed content for Adult swim

at a glance, the initial revenue from advertising monetizing the clip should go to turner broadcasting, after that they might have a rev share with nfl

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Shaggar posted:

I heard that nbc isn't even running ads on their web stream. c/d??

deny, they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

tv without tv

no h8

im the hip chat

• Locked thread