Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Wow, time to clean off the SSD I guess.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a decent way to actually clean out the winsxs folder in Windows 7? The Disk Cleanup utility doesn't do it and it looks like a lot of the newer things to automatically clean it out are Windows 8.1 only. Mine's pushing 20GB at this point, it's getting a bit much.

Maybe it's just time to step up to a larger SSD I guess.

If I remember rightly that is your prefetch folder. I turned it off entirely because DAI's load times were actually improved by doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Taken from Neogaf from an interview with one of the devs:

quote:

•There was a big conversation within the team on whether Geralt could be fully nude or not. The conversation also involved the extra polygons that would be used for his penis and who would animate it while running. On the other side, others believed that there was a lot of female nudity in the game, so there should be male nudity as well. The result is that there’s a lot more male nudity than in previous games, but Geralt still normally wears his underwear

How many motion capture balls does it take to properly motion capture some dude's balls? Is Geralt's dick the reason why the Xbone version is stuck at 900p?

Honestly the fact you guys can do this kind of stuff and have these conversations is pretty awesome since there isn't any other dev team or publisher on the planet that wouldn't throw a poo poo fit over it.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Gonna need a Titan X to properly render DickFX.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So does this mean we WON'T get any Geralt dick? I'm not down with that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm sure they won't cock this up for you

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

So does this mean we WON'T get any Geralt dick? I'm not down with that.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/116
:3:

This bare-bones mod removes the out-of-place white underwear Geralt has on when he's supposed to be naked. Apparently, there is a naked model for Geralt already in the game, so all I had to do was to insert that model instead of the default one wearing pants. There is no model made for his penis, however, so expect the Ken doll syndrome to possibly cause some frustration; I think it's better than the pants, at least, and it will have to do until someone manages to alter core textures for this cause. At least we get to see his firm buttocks!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Having been laid off yesterday, I'll now be playing this on a Pentium Anniversary and 7870. No upgrades for me.

:negative:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

CitrusFrog posted:

If I remember rightly that is your prefetch folder. I turned it off entirely because DAI's load times were actually improved by doing so

WinSxS is the garbage dump where windows update backups and dozens of old versions of the same file go to die. It was mostly made to resolve "DLL hell" where applications would overwrite each others files with different versions, now each one gets their own virtual Windows folder.
You can clean most of it by running disk cleanup->remove service pack and windows update backups, deleting stuff manually could be icky.

Finally beat TW2. I'm glad I learned during the epilogue that Milfgarden are a very powerful empire and located in the south, and that the northern kings are a big joke of no consequence whatsoever. With an animated map and all, that would have been nice to have had 36 hours earlier.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Avalanche posted:

How many motion capture balls does it take to properly motion capture some dude's balls? Is Geralt's dick the reason why the Xbone version is stuck at 900p?

Honestly the fact you guys can do this kind of stuff and have these conversations is pretty awesome since there isn't any other dev team or publisher on the planet that wouldn't throw a poo poo fit over it.

Well it's easy to be sterile when you lack genitalia.

Sounds like they throw on a dick mesh for appropriate cutscenes but keep him modest in the field. No running around the Northern Kingdoms hanging loose sadly.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 17, 2015

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Finally beat TW2. I'm glad I learned during the epilogue that Milfgarden are a very powerful empire and located in the south, and that the northern kings are a big joke of no consequence whatsoever. With an animated map and all, that would have been nice to have had 36 hours earlier.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Witcher 3: Milfgarden

Edit: But yes, both games throw a lot of lore at you, and it's easy to be overwhelmed when you haven't read the books.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 17, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They also just namedrop and talk about poo poo like you already know what they're talking about. It'd do wonders for my OCD about I AM GIVING EXPOSITION NOW! except that I don't have any idea what they're talking about. Didn't. Now I'm a huge Witcher fan and am looking forward to sly references or I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!

Never have I ever welcomed a lovely infodump as I did Letho's.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They also just namedrop and talk about poo poo like you already know what they're talking about. It'd do wonders for my OCD about I AM GIVING EXPOSITION NOW! except that I don't have any idea what they're talking about. Didn't. Now I'm a huge Witcher fan and am looking forward to sly references or I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!

Never have I ever welcomed a lovely infodump as I did Letho's.

You need to utilize the epic in-game encyclopedia. Gives you more information on every character (every character) than you'd ever need. To be fair, I didn't fully understand the over-arching story until my second playthrough. And I wasn't sure I understood the story correctly until my third playthrough. So there's room for improvement there.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Cheston posted:

Play conservatively at first. The initial talent in the Swordsmanship tree that increases the range of your roll is worth a point (and maybe two), regardless of whatever else you spend points on. I would also get the Riposte talent, if only because the game assumes you know how to do that at a few points in Act 2.

I've played through this game 4 times and never once picked up riposte, let alone used it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

knob posted:

I've played through this game 4 times and never once picked up riposte, let alone used it.

It's pretty good in the beginning to instantly murder dudes but in the end you'll instantly murder dudes anyway if you focused on swordsmanship.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Avalanche posted:

For the record, I was, and still am, the most vocal member (lol) of team penis.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm still to this day heartbroken that Saints Row had to take out their big floppy dong physics. Why do women get all the jiggle physics?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm still to this day heartbroken that Saints Row had to take out their big floppy dong physics. Why do women get all the jiggle physics?

The patriarchy.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dicks are the funniest human organ. Fact. :colbert:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Has it ever been explained why the Nilfgardians are bad or why we should be bothered by them taking over?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Avalerion posted:

Has it ever been explained why the Nilfgardians are bad or why we should be bothered by them taking over?

Fantasy Rome with more slaves?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Avalerion posted:

From my plebian understanding, they are a big mean empire being imperialistic. They take over land, enslave people, ect.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone's gotta talk me out of dropping $300 to get a GTX 970 for this and instead just getting it for PS4.

Then again I don't know if I can be talked out of it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Harrow posted:

Someone's gotta talk me out of dropping $300 to get a GTX 970 for this and instead just getting it for PS4.

I did it. I'm seriously considering getting two.

Just do it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Harrow posted:

There is no reason not to, it is a great card and it comes with W3. Unless, of course, you are strapped for cash and need to feed your children. Feed your children.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Feed your children.

Park your children in Caer Morhen.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

knob posted:

It's really, really useful when you're in control over Sir Swingy Bigsword who can't roll or do anything else.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harrow posted:

The 970 is the best card I've ever bought and I have yet to be disappointed by it at all, hth.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The 970 is a fantastic card, but I have a 760 and have yet to be let down, so I could imagine how awesome it would be to have a 970.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

The 970 is a fantastic card, but I have a 760 and have yet to be let down, so I could imagine how awesome it would be to have a 970.
I got the 970 because the price difference was negligible when I was shopping about a month ago (if I remember correctly).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I did it. I'm seriously considering getting two.

Just do it.

Bort Bortles posted:

There is no reason not to, it is a great card and it comes with W3. Unless, of course, you are strapped for cash and need to feed your children. Feed your children.

Mr E posted:

The 970 is the best card I've ever bought and I have yet to be disappointed by it at all, hth.

Welp, guess I'm doing it, then.

Maybe I'll even be able to run TW2 at 60 fps in the mean time!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm tempted to grab a 970 but well I already have a 770 and it's still been good enough for my needs.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I got a 780 with 6 Gigs internal Ram. I'm pretty sure once I upgrade my loving 2006 processor to an I7 I should be able to play my current gen games at ultra settings. Hell I might even be able to play Watchdogs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

Yeah I got a 780 with 6 Gigs internal Ram. I'm pretty sure once I upgrade my loving 2006 processor to an I7 I should be able to play my current gen games at ultra settings. Hell I might even be able to play Watchdogs.

I was in a weird place with Watch Dogs. I got it on PC on launch and even though my specs were "pretty okay" three years ago, I still managed to run it on High settings just fine. My hypothesis is that I somehow managed to build the exact computer that they actually bothered to test the thing on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

Well now...don't go punishing yourself for having a nice computer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah gently caress that game. It came with my video card. I tried it once and said oh poo poo maybe my computer is worse than I though. Then I played Shadows of Mordor with max settings. So yeah, gently caress Ubisoft.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I ran the 2013 Tomb Raider on max settings with my 970 and it was a-maz-ing. I think it spoiled me, too, because I loved the inventory management system and now I dont want to play any games that have a more involved inventory management system. This had lead me to wonder about W3's inventory management system....

Comte - any comment on W3's inventory management system?

I feel the need to say inventory management system one more time. Inventory management system.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Harrow posted:

Welp, guess I'm doing it, then.

Maybe I'll even be able to run TW2 at 60 fps in the mean time!

Most definitely.
I picked up my save from the Iorweth or Roche decision and have been playing through the game for the last couple of evenings. My first playthrough last year was on a AMD 7870.

It's loving ploughing glorious. All options maxed except ubersampling, 60 fps all the way (probably more, but I'm keeping vsync on. Edit: Turned it off to check, I'm getting 90-100 fps in Loc Muinne).

Well sometimes it drops to around 45 fps during some cinematic cutscenes when there's a shitload happening.
It's so much more fun to watch, play and fight when every animation is playing super smoothly.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 17, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
I reinstalled 2 to play the prologue again because I really like their massive interpretation of siege warfare, and Foltest is just great, but I don't think I can play through 2 again at this point. Some of the combat encounters have just gelled and soured in my memory to the point where they don't spoil 2, but I certainly don't remember enjoying the gameplay, just the story and writing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
To be fair, TW2 changed massively after the huge patch they put out a couple years back. That first fight with letho no longer involves laying down 500 traps, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Orv posted:

Some of the combat encounters have just gelled and soured in my memory to the point where they don't spoil 2, but I certainly don't remember enjoying the gameplay, just the story and writing.

I wasn't looking forward to certain encounters (most in the fog of war, where you can't cast signs or even roll), but they were a piece of cake. Maybe they are different on Roche's side of the story or the smooth framerate makes it a lot easier, but even the Draugirs and the final fight against Vandergrift (that huge-rear end fiery golem) were really easy.
I wouldn't worry.

• Locked thread