Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drifter posted:

The bundle is for over $500 cards. That's a bit rich. Each to his own, though.

Isn't it available for 960 (~$200) and 970 (~$300) too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The 970 also overclocks like a goddamn champ.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lareine posted:

That would be a good plan except for the fact I am an idiot and pre-ordered the game.

From somewhere that won't let you cancel the pre-order?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lareine posted:

Can you cancel pre-orders on Steam?

I dunno, seems like a lot of effort and I don't feel like playing ebay russian roulette. On top of being cheap, I am very lazy.

Yeah, you can cancel pre-orders on Steam. Don't even need to deal with support any more. It's in your transaction history.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes because the people that make quests and environments are the same dudes that do QA and bugfixing :allears:

You don't think they're fixing bugs in quests and environments, tweaking dialogue, and so forth? That sounds like exactly the stuff you want to be doing at the end, rather than core engine fixes. (Or whatever "do bug fixing" means, I'm not actually sure how you mean that to be different from "do programming".)

I think it's fine to announce expansions, and there's almost certainly surplus bandwidth versus peak development, but if they've washed their hands of quest and environment changes I'd be pretty surprised.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Controversy doesn't affect performance, which is why none of the benchmarks changed after the details were uncovered.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah they probably have tons of QA/bugtesting to do if the game is that large.

Gold usually means that phase has completed. I'm sure some are working on day-0 patch stuff, but I suspect/hope it's not that many.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It would be super-great if cloud saves were shared between PC and PS4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could just download a save that matches the decisions you want to have made, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How hard is it to locate the quests I've come across that I'm now the right level for, as I progress? Do I have to linearly scan the map hovering over quest markers and check them each, or are they highlighted in some way?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The stuff that's just out in the world, like monster nests or whatever, aren't marked, you can see the level on the creatures when you look at them, so if you find something like that and the monsters are too hard, come back later. Though I find that I can do *most* of those sorts of encounters below-level if I'm patient. Quests themselves have their level marked in the journal.

OK, so I should just make a note somewhere that there's a wyvern nest near the old millwheel, and remember to come back. I can probably do that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soarer posted:

Since we're having GPU talk, with all of the praise coming for the GTX 970 I am now questioning my dual 7970 set up. It's more total VRAM but I don't know how that all works with the diminishing losses through CF.

Total VRAM doesn't matter, since each card has to hold everything for processing the scene. 2x4GB cards can do more processing than one 4GB card, since they have roughly twice as long as to produce a frame, but they can't operate on bigger textures or render targets or such.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PoE did a good job, with limited "real inventory" slots and an always-accessible infinite stash.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Andrast posted:

PoE also has the option to limit the access to the stash for the people wanted more limits on the inventory space.

Yeah, in case "choose to not use stash except when I'm in an inn" was too complicated for some players. :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I also scheduled my tonsillectomy for two days after the game comes out. Three weeks to enjoy The Witcher 3 while high on pain medicine!

Alchemy build, then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm interested to see what CDPR's stance on this "downgrade" is. They're pretty involved with the community and I'd love to see if they can sate the savage nerds.

If I were them my stance would be "feel free to cancel your pre-order if you want; we're proud of the game and think it looks awesome".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am ready.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I said come in! posted:

He's still slightly brain damaged though because he is intentionally leaving out the part where a day one patch fixes these issues.

It's supposed to improve those issues, but it's not like a reviewer can verify that, and the game they have was what CDPR said was ready to be reviewed (not previewed). It's totally appropriate to evaluate how the game actually plays, and to wait for the day-one egg to hatch before counting it.

Edit: I missed that it was labeled as pre-release. Why on earth give a reviewer a debug build, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shakugan posted:

To generate lots of publicity before launch.

I understand why they give out pre-release stuff, but why a debug build? It's not like the reviewer is going to be debugging, and you'd want the game to be as optimized as possible.

It sounds like a lot of stuff came in pretty hot if a pre-release build that's only a couple of weeks premature has a bunch of engine shakiness. I'm expecting that my overbuilt PC will just brute force through performance problems, but I'd be nervous if I'd gone the PS4 route.

• Locked thread