Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Reminder that the books are actually good and you should read them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was about to link that in fact.

The Last Wish

Blood of the Elves

The first two books by Andrzej Sapkowski. There are also The Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire which I unfortunately have yet to read. The first book is only tangentially related to the games as it shares characters but it's merely a collection of short stories about Geralt of Rivia and only one of them has anything to do with the first game. Still, fantastic reading and I recommend them easily. I'll be rereading the first two while replaying the first two games in the coming months, I know that for certain.

So what is it with the rest of the books not being officially translated in English?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

JerseyMonkey posted:

Just recently it was announced that three additional books will be translated with the first, The Sword of Destiny, will be released in May.

Source: http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/01/gollancz-acquire-three-more-witcher-novels/

I read The Last Wish back when it was released but have little memory of it. Thinking of rereading it and working through the rest of the series.

I reread both short story collections before reading the novels and it was definitely worth it. It's entertaining even if you remember roughly what happened in each story.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Khagan posted:

Just downloaded Witcher 2 EE, but finished the game before EE came out.

Do mods stop me from getting Steam achievements and which ones are recommended?

Are the Arena mode rewards tied to the story in any way.

Arena is completely separate from the main game.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Here's another gameplay vid we posted yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJUL3nN4iI

Section 31, could you put this in the OP? (it's the exact same as the three-part video I linked but official and in one video).

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 27, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Who said he's an antagonist? I've always been a fan of Nilfgaard, the northern kingdoms are unruly and cruel, they need some some order.

But he wanted to (ACTUAL book spoiler incoming, but from what Gamestar said, it will be revealed in the prologue anyway) gently caress his own daughter

Section 31 posted:

Done.

e: I noticed Geralt called his horse by whistling the same way as player's character does in Dragon Age: Inquisition....and I'm not exactly fan of DAI... :stare:

Maybe he's actually whistling for it like the player character in Two Worlds :colbert:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Suspicious posted:

If you're going to play only one path, it should be Ioverth's because half the plot is flat out not explained on Roche's side.

You still ge the gist of what's going on with the Lodge on Roche's path and I just like the characters better. Plus, Loc Muinne isn't half as bullshit to navigate.

I have played the prolog about 5 times due to several HDD failure/upgraded PC shenanigans. I still hear "THOSE TREBUCHETS ARE loving POUNDING THE PULP OUTTA THEM! MUST BE SHITTIN THEMSELVES ON THE WALLS" in my head whenever I think of the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Only a minor one. Roche's path explains a number of how and why's that aren't really that relevant. The big What's are revealed with Iorveth.

Like which big Whats? I don't remember being amazed at anything revealed in my second playthrough and I went Roche first.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Yes, that and the Sorceress Lodge intrigue around it. Basically, a large chunk of the game's plot that you're completely missing when you're playing on Roche's path.

You definitely know about the Lodge and what they're doing on Roche's path. You don't know that they're controlling Saskia but given that they're sorcerers, it's fair to assume anyway that they have a hand in every major conflict
Someone in the prolog even pointed out that the Dragon is only attacking Foltest's men, implying some kind of control which only a sorcerer could execute.

Saladman posted:

I'm pretty psyched for this. Is there any news that the combat is going to be different (i.e. not utter garbage)? I skipped the Witcher until I got it with GWG on the 360 and was impressed. It scratches the Dragon Age itch that I refused to scratch after I got herpes from Dragon Age 2.

I played EE on Hard until the Kayran, but as far as I could tell hard doesn't actually require more skill, it just requires you to kite enemies longer, roll more, and cast Quen a lot.

You actually have to dodge on Hard and above but once you got that down, there's not much difference between the difficulties. I also think Quen is useless because it can't take enough hits and the blocked Vigor regeneration just makes it worse than dodging. I think the only time I ever used it was against the Dragon because gently caress trying to get hits in with its 0.2 second attack animation.

The combat seems to be similar in W3, trading pirouettes for rolls.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 27, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I think I'm the only one to have enjoyed combat in both games. Save those swamp plants from TW1. No matter what I drank or did I could never kill them before they got me.

I loved both combat systems as well. I guess 1 is more "RPG-y" where you don't have as much control but I like both ways.
Just don't go into the swamp at night unless you wanna do the Echinopsae Contract. And when you do, Igni Igni Igni Igni Igni Igni Igni.

sauer kraut posted:

No you're not, I blazed through 1 in a weekend it's fantastic, but stopped playing TW2 somewhere between the awful arena tutorial and the ingame tutorial when you start fighting on those siege walls.
I have no idea what they were thinking with those controls :psyduck:

What's bad about the controls? Aim at guys and click.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Those were the days.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

I still remember how I couldn't play Witcher 2 when I bought it because I was one of the people hit with that bug that made bombs unusable until they fixed it a few months later. That sucked.

Why would you need bombs though?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I have a question for Comte de Saint-Germain, not sure if he can answer it but. Why was Yennefer added so far into the series? Won't it be a little difficult to make the players care about the character if Triss was in both previous ones? Or was it due to the fact that Sapkowski's fans (me included) didn't really like Yennefer as a character?

How can you not like Yennefer after reading the novels?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yennefer is basically a female Geralt; independent as hell, doesn't know how to deal with other people, completely shocked at the prospect of having her fate tied to a single dude.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

A couple of her line readings were off "Did you dreeeeam of the Wild Hunt again?" but for the most part I didn't mind her. "Oh yeah the Brothel sounds lovely."

I just realized that the Witcher games fail to live up to the standard set by Sapkowski in one regard: Less than 75% of all dialog lines are sarcastic :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dud root posted:

Theres a mod that increases run speed by a small amount, 20 or 30%, which makes the swamp much more bearable. You can just outrun everything- at that point it doesn't give any xp anyway. Just beeline towards your destination

You can do that exact thing in vanilla anyway, not like anything does any damage to you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Here's hoping they've finally implemented some sort of rolling quicksave system. Having over a few hundred MB of saves in TW1 and TW2 combined was loving HORRIBLE.

e: Also I rewatched the huge gameplay video tonight and you know what's awesome? Cutting people in half. Every once in a while. I really, REALLY hope the full release actually has it happen only every one-in-ten or whatever because as awesome as it is to slice someone vertically in loving half it will VERY quickly lose its awesome effect when every single killing blow does it. Even on scrawny little drowners.

I actually didn't like how you saved over your quicksave slot every time in W2 and only kept the autosaves. In W1 you had the possiblity of reloading every old save in case something went wrong later.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Eldragon posted:

I must be in the minority, I prefer saves that just keep piling up rather than rolling. If I got too many saves laying around I just delete them manually.

Too many times I've had a game with say, 3 rolling saves, and the game crashes at a particular point, but it takes me 3 tries to figure out the game crashes from doing that one particular thing, forcing me to go back to a non-autosave which is much older.

(Happened to me on DA:I twice :cripes: )

I prefer infinite saves as well. I mean, it's not like 700MB of saves should really matter anymore these days.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I literally had to save prior to every. Single. Load screen.

I don't get why that's bad. I usually quicksave before every event (conversation, combat, area change). If no events happen, I reflexively quicksave every 10 seconds.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fanged wang posted:

how many hours is this game supposed to be? 50? they probably didn't create 50 hours of amazing gameplay and storytelling, no one has ever done that.

Pretty sure my Witcher 1 playthrough was 60 hours.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fanged wang posted:

did you spend 40 of them lost in the swamp

Nope, I actually ran through the swamp directly towards my quest objectives while ignoring the drowners and bloedzuigers.
There's just a lot of sidequests.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Remember when the Witcher 3 was suppose to be out this month? :qq:

Downgrading every texture in the game manually takes time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Magic basically makes your egg/sperm production areas wither and become nonfunctional for ~reasons~ though obviously the non-babymaking bits still work just fine. So a mage generally is unable to have kids after a few years of working magic.

As for diseases, barring some freak allergy to magic (*cough*Triss*cough*) they can cure themselves of just about anything they pick up magically. So they're probably safe partners in that regard.

Now, is the parrying of crossbow bolts with shields done actively or is it them just smartly hiding behind the shield? Because if its some reflex blocking that really takes the piss out of the Witchers' feared ability to parry bolts...

Don't they have pretty intricate gestures and words they have to say to do spells? I'd imagine it's more like the shield in the CGI opening of W2 where the mage has to do an elaborate arm gesture to get the shield up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah. Which may be why he's unusually good at signs.

Is sorcery even genetic in any form? I know Ciri was a source which made her powerful but didn't Sapkowski mention in Last Wish how sorceresses were just ugly regular women who no one wanted to marry so their fathers shipped them off to the magic school?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Crigit posted:

I thought the point was just supposed to be that there were no ugly sorceresses, because even the ones that started ugly could change their looks with magic, not that only ugly girls were sent to become sorceresses. Also I'm pretty sure a sorceress could be plenty useful to her family even without being able to breed, what with all the magic making amassing enormous amounts of wealth and power easy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best part is that Yennefer knows this and proceeds to gently caress with Geralt by bathing while invisible and then calling him out for perving on her. I also liked the topic of ugly sorceresses changing their looks via magic, but still being considered unattractive because nothing could hide the bitterness and low self esteem that drove them to change in the first place. Their eyes are still ugly.

I got the feeling she didn't really gently caress with him. She sounded actually mad that he ogled her during that scene but was repulsed by the bitterness you mentioned.
Plus, I think it's mostly because of his Witcher senses and poo poo that he notices that, I don't think a normal person could read that much into sorceresses. Like Chireadan in that scene, he seems pretty smitten.

Archimago posted:

This is another drunk post.,

The Steam discount for owning both games is new.

You're a terrible person for buying it on Steam instead of supporting DRM-Free.

Has anyone read the fan translated version of books? Are they as terrible as the phrase "fan translated book" makes me think?

What if I bought them both physically and just activated the keys on GOG to get the discount for W3?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I feel there was a little too much going on in that dinner party. This guys been cursed, but wants to marry the Princess, but she's magic, and so is her mum who wants to marry this other guy but can't, and his son wants to marry the Princess but these other nobles won't let him, and they both want to fight the first guy. There's like 5 different points where Geralt deduces something and doesn't reveal it to the audience until right at the end.

It's like if the finale of either Vizima Outskirts or Flotsam happened without the previous 10 hours of gradual buildup explaining just who the hell everybody is.

I think at one point Mousesack drew a rune while Geralt was looking and Geralt just nodded knowingly, I still don't know what that was about. Something about Pavetta being about to use magic, I'm sure.

E: Nevermnind, I read it again and the rune just said "CAREFUL".

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 26, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Haha that point of the new spell floating in the air and the guy just quickly running away. Looks pretty good for a massively downgraded game though.
Also, playing with a controller looks pretty annoying since you either have to lock on or work hard to keep the enemy in your view.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'm a keyboard and mouse man myself, but I've never had any major issue with third person knifey games and using a gamepad.

I guess you can still accurately attack dudes by aiming with the left stick but I'd get annoyed as soon as enemies start circling around me, out of view.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

An added difficulty that makes the game ridiculously hard and unforgiving. The main feature is its ironman gameplay in which if you die it wipes the save.

Details via a ten second Google search

It's not really that hard. If you can dodge things on Easy, you can do it just as well on Normal, Hard or Dark (or Insane I guess but that's for insane people :v:).
The only problem for me were gargoyles because they home in on your roll.

Drifter posted:

Does it really add much to the gameplay? Were they balanced interestingly at all?

I'm not really much of a crafter, and the most recent game with simple crafting I played was Dragon Age 3, and all that poo poo kinda blended together into a giant boring mess after a while.

Well I liked Dark because for once you couldn't just stand around between 5 swordsmen and survive by just left clicking, until you got that skill that makes your sword hit everyone at once at least.
The crafting itself really isn't interesting, you need to get a lot of money so you can't just hold onto every crafting material you find, you have to sell most of them unless you want to farm forever. I looked up beforehand what kind of materials I'd need and made sure to stock enough of them.
Even so I ran out of materials and money in chapter 2 and had to do the harpy gully run about 10 times or so.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, at least without the new equipment, you can only afford one mistake against most enemies. So you need to be on your toes even in random encounters.

Having to farm isn't fun at all though, especially since I'm doing an alchemy-run and have to save most ingredients.

Is Alchemy focus actually viable? I always heard people saying it's even more OP than swordsmanship but I never saw a skill that would help you so incredibly much.
I don't think I ever even sold anything having alchemy components in it, just make sure you have enough money from chapter 2 to buy everything in chapter 3.

Haha. Is the 970 the card that dies once it uses over 3.5GB of VRAM?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The game is about finding Ciri? Wow, how original :rolleyes:
Seriously though I'm hyped.
E: Are the KB+M controls done yet? Don't like how everything they show is using a controller.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

You can one hit kill some of the optional difficult bosses if you dump in this tree. Game was actually a lot easier that way than my first playthrough in which I distributed everything over all the trees.

Well yeah I don't think a jack-of-all-trades is supposed to work.

Lycus posted:

and the post-Letho bosses are super easy.

Letho isn't? :confused:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snow Job posted:

1. Optional boss.
2. Not that hard after you're familiar with him.
3. Doesn't deserve to die. :(

I think he was referring to the first fight, that's why he mentioned bosses after Letho.

beer_war posted:

I mostly used the radial menu to select spells / items and meditate and found it much more intuitive than mouse / kb. Some of the minigames (arm-wrestling!) I could only beat with a controller. The inventory would have been better with a mouse, but the game hides your mouse pointer if you select a controller as your input device.

I also used the radial menu to select spells and stuff. Since when is there another menu for that? Also, I'm confused how you couldn't beat arm wrestling with a mouse. Like, you just have to move your mouse along with the thing.

Lareine posted:

I dunno, I tried playing with a controller once and it didn't really make sense to me after playing with mouse and keyboard. Granted, I did fiddle with the keybindings a bit to avoid hand cramps but the game comes across as a whole designed for M/KB.

W1's menu is designed for KB+M. W2 has a list that fits like 5 items on the screen at once.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CitrusFrog posted:

Beating Letho on Dark was piss-easy once I decided to get more sign-happy. Aarding him into walls and then wailing on him with a mega-damage, oiled-up endgame sword felt so good after the faffing around and repeatedly dying during a past playthrough.

Yeah the fight is basically rollrollrollrollroll while he has his Quen activated and Aard+attack spam otherwise.

The Sharmat posted:

Anyone that killed Letho their first time through has no soul.

Can't wait for him to (hopefully) show up in W3.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think I remember reading that silver swords are for post-Conjunction creatures. That wouldn't really make sense though as that includes humans.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Humans just crossed over from another world (possibly one similar to ours), while many of the monsters vulnerable to silver seem to have been outright created by the energies unleashed by the Conjunction. Othe rmonsters vulnerable to silver include undead(or do they? Funninly enough, I don't think there are actually any undead in the books) ghouls and other necrophages (I don't think they are ever stated to be undead in the books), vampires (also not undead) and the unfortunate victims of various curses like strigas or werewolves.

Vampires aren't undead?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Geralt takes on a pack of ghouls on at least one occasion.

They go into what vampires are in Baptism of Fire. They work a little differently than you'd think. For starters, drinking blood seems to be like drinking alcohol for humans and isn't necessary to live.

Yeah I read the books, but not needing blood doesn't mean they're not undead.
I think having your head cut off and recovering from it is a pretty good sign for being undead.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

Every time I get tempted by the newer, better gfx cards I take a moment and realize I'm still running games on a monitor whose max resolution is 1680x1050.

Everything is always fantastic looking. By the time my monitor fails I'll be able to get a pretty cheap 900 series or even the next one out. Life is good.

I love my 1680x1050 monitor. Easier to max stuff on it and if I got anything bigger/with denser pixels I wouldn't be able to see poo poo with how close I sit to it.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I liked that quest so much that I kept the tattoo throughout the game despite there being a quest to remove it.

I wonder if there is anyone who actually removed it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I removed the tattoo because I thought it looked dumb. Also because Geralt isn't an elf hunter.

I'd say Geralt is sick and tired of everyone's poo poo equally. Like in The Edge of the World, he's talking mad poo poo about Elves clinging on to their old ways.

poptart_fairy posted:

I would have spared Letho if he hadn't said "I will kill you this time :smug:" with the smuggest face I've ever seen rendered in a game. You won the first fight because of plot mandated armour, you smarmy prick, not because you're a good fighter. :argh:

That "nope Letho actually won the fight" thing was pretty silly and didn't fit the game at all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You guys are gonna look silly for removing that tattoo when it turns out it's part of the save game import for 3. :colbert:

My uncle works at CDProjekt and he said the tattoo will be the deciding factor for whether Niilfgard wins or loses.

Lycus posted:

I would've liked it better if Letho would've been Epilogue strong and basically impossible for an Act 1 Geralt to beat, and legitimately losing triggers the cutscene.

Epilog Letho is stronger? I defeated him with the exact same tactics and even faster due to higher damage output IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

The code you get with a Nvidia card is for GOG right?
How does that work with a modern game that gets patched a lot and has 10+ DLC planned, do you have to manually redownload the whole thing every time, or hunt for patches like it's the early 2000's again?

For W2, the launcher told you if there was a patch and let you download it. Same for DLC IIRC. The EE was a new download though I think.
You could also use that new GOG client I guess.

• Locked thread