Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
:toot: I've been waiting for someone to make this thread--I had thought about doing it on several occasions but :effort:.

isk posted:

CDPR is giving me a 20% discount for preordering at GOG because I bought the prior Witcher games thru them. That's the kind of fan loyalty I can dig.

I'll add that you can also get up to a 20% discount on GOG (10% for each game) even if you purchased it on Steam.

Get your CD key from Steam (Library -> Click Game, then right side under Links) and go here:

http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Obviously you'll need to be logged in.

Buying it through GOG is the way to go. Support DRM-free gaming, goons. The more people who buy it through GOG the better. Yes, it's true, you won't have Steam achievements, but think of how much more immersed you'll be. :v:

On a related note, I too, enjoyed both Witcher games. The first one is definitely a bit wonky, you just have to remember it's not really an action RPG, it's dice rolls hidden behind sword swings.

Also there's a mod that fixes that weird poo poo with the detective quest.

I'll probably replay the first one for shits and giggles, but I'm waiting for The Rise of the White Wolf guys to release their new version so I can give that a try.

e. goddammit first post in the thread and I miss the snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Is it possible to load a save from the original version of W2 in the EE? I'm going to replay it once, but I'd like to play at least Act 3 from the other perspective as well. To see what the different endings are like after the changes.

I looked around for a save game editor but couldn't find one. Based on this mod having two different versions it doesn't appear the two are compatible.

Honestly, Act 2 is definitely worth replaying from the other perspective (especially if you're doing Iorveth) as that's where most of the differences occur, IIRC.

I think I still have a good spread of W2 saves, I can check to see if I have one at the end of Act 1 or 2 if you'd be interested in that?

Edit: Nevermind, I should have known, some pubbie has already gone turbo autism on this.

Obviously, this thread is filled with spoilers but here's a massive number of W2 saves at a variety of different points throughout the game:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

Archimago fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 5, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah it's definitely broken--it only works if you use only the arrow keys to move it. Aim directly at the dude with the feather in his cap and slightly below him. IIRC, Geralt should say "one and a half degrees."

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Jesus H. Christ, you have used literally (seriously) zero capital letters in any of your posts; I don't even know how the gently caress that's possible.

You have paragraphs, at least. Your Shift key is right below your Return key--use it for gently caress's sake.

Back on topic: Has anyone played TW1 with the new 'Enhanced Edition' of Rise of the White Wolf? How is it? It looks interesting, might do a playthrough with that + FCR here shortly.

But before that, I own New Vegas and have never played it and you guys have convinced me to install it.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

BBJoey posted:

also this topic got good all of a sudden

Also, I actually like fanged wang's posting. Not enough to nom on him yet though. Because capitals.

(New Vegas is installed now.)

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Demonachizer posted:

Jesus christ you are a weirdo sperg.

Don't be racist against grammar autists. :smith:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

fanged wang posted:

i aint mad atcha

dont forget to put boobs on your molerat

:sun:

After looking at your posting history I'm unironically impressed. I would've accidentally capitalized an I or something at some point. You are a master of your art form.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Speaking of spergs, some dude on the official forums apparently made a list of a bunch of stuff that's been said in interviews and whatever else:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/33354-Interviews-and-Articles-2015?p=1542435&viewfull=1#post1542435

Some information in there I hadn't read before.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

Who could have anticipated the transformational effect that post would have on the thread?

I'm happy with the results.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

This rarely turns out fun, it's one of those things that turn into a chore in open world games. But we'll see.

So at least 100 skills, cool! I don't quite understand the second paragraph, though. Do skills that are not activated not have any effect at all or do only activated skills give bonuses? It says skills affect Geralt's fighting style, so does that mean there are no non-combat skills?

I agree, weapon degradation doesn't sound like fun, but maybe they'll pull it off in a meaningful/not stupid way.

Being able to "remap" skills to fit a situation sounds interesting though. The way I read that is as you get more skillpoints (or whatever they're calling them) they aren't stuck in wherever you put them and you can change them around to fit the situation. Or perhaps some are permanent and the "upgrade" ones can be moved around to change the affect of signs and such.

In W2 weren't all skills combat skills, aside from a few that affected potions that could still arguably be considered "combat" skills? Or am I crazy?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

:negative:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

This is a drunk post. I'd feel bad, but I don't. I hate myself for being hyped for this stupid video game.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

For being drunk or hyped?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I know sorceresses can't get preggers, but can they give you diseases?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

the wildest turkey posted:

Sorry to interrupt blood-sorceress-sex-magic chat, but I have a real question :v:

I bought both W1&2 from GOG so I have the W3 discounted pre-order available which is tempting, except there's no way my PC will be able to run it - is there any way to get the discount applied towards a PS4 pre-order of W3 instead?

No, the discount is just for GOG and there's no GOG version of the console edition.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

This is another drunk post.,

The Steam discount for owning both games is new.

You're a terrible person for buying it on Steam instead of supporting DRM-Free.

Has anyone read the fan translated version of books? Are they as terrible as the phrase "fan translated book" makes me think?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Jesus gently caress I hate my avatar.

Edit: because i won't triple post. is the new version of Rise of the White Wolf good and worth playing through on TW1? Anyone tried it?

Archimago fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 26, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

What's the 900 series card that crashes when it loads too much into its RAM or whatever? Or they lied about hardware specs? Wasn't that the 970?

edit: yup

It's a little more complicated than "Crashes when it hits 3.5GB." The tests they are running that causes the drastic slowdown are not indicative of real life performance. Was Nvidia doing some shady advertising? Possibly, but the 970 is a great card and hands-down the best bang for your buck right now. If you really want to nerd out, this is a really good article about it.

buildmorefarms posted:

Are there 'new' generations of video cards due out prior to W3? I've been holding off on an upgrade for the last year or so (comp's about 3 years old at this point) but this'll be worth it.

Does it seem like the 980 would be good enough for 2560x1600? Or would a 970 suffice?

If you're trying to push those higher resolutions you'd likely be better off with two 970s for $680 instead of one 980 for $560. The 980 is a huge increase in cost for a marginal increase in performance.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

I wonder if there is anyone who actually removed it.

Probably the same people soulless brigands who killed Letho.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

The MSI 970 is a very nice-looking card that I've had zero issues with and managed a pretty good overclock out of with very little effort.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Where did that map come from? Leak?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I confirmed The Predator as a playable character in W3.

So we can assume there will be at least one chopper-centric QTE scene.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

You're a Goon Hero for translating that. I am so loving hyped for next-gen cats.

And also the game.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Confirming I still have an insane level of hype for this game. Praise Christ for Pillars of Eternity keeping me busy.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

^^Also what he said.

Lyer posted:

My computer's stats are in between the minimum and recommended system reqs, but I wonder if my PS4 would be the better experience.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to speak definitively on this until the game is released.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Stuff to read / look at:

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/587632364299411456

http://me.ign.com/en/the-witcher-3/104869/feature/the-witcher-3-wild-hunts-magic-system-is-awesome-i

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Diran posted:

Thank god for the mute button.

Holy gently caress I did not watch the video on that IGN article--that is some hot garbage music. :wtc:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Bigger is better. If it's not at least 70GB I'm cancelling my preorder.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Is there a website that hosts Witcher 2 completed saves? Mine was lost at some point and I don't currently have the time to play through it again. Or will there be a setup like the console versions where you have the option to enter in your choices?

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

Take your pick, dude has like every possible variation available. Obviously, lots of spoilers for TW2 in there so anyone who cares about that shouldn't click.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

<generic rant about not using spoiler tags>

:smith:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

:fap:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I have decided to do an Insanity playthrough of TW2 and get the other achievements I'm missing... Like killing all the trolls since I'm not a complete bastard and never got that.

For some reason I thought Insane was Dark mode with no deaths but it's actually Hard mode with no deaths, and Hard is way way easier.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Dark mode is pretty fun. I decided to try it out in my current playthrough and while it's a pain in the rear end to get, those armor pieces are pretty great. That creepy effect when you wield the swords is pretty neat.

I honestly think the games do a bad job of explaining why the Nilfgaard Empire is such a terrible place considering you see first hand that the north is a pretty big shithole and its rulers are the biggest pieces of human garbage rolling around in that muck. Who knows, maybe in the third game you get there and it's one big cesspit that makes the north look like a sparkling beacon of decency. Either way I say let the northern kings burn, useless the whole lot of them.

I don't think Nilfgaard is that much worse than the other States, it's just a matter of losing one's "Freedom." If I remember correctly, they do have stricter laws on some things, but by and large they're pretty much the Roman Empire, running around conquering anyone who resists them just to be big and powerful (and collect more taxes) but generally speaking improving a lot of things when they do. Someone more learned in the books may correct me on this though.

The crafting requirements for the Dark weapon sets are a bit bonkers, and there's some stuff that's really hard to get enough of if you don't buy enough for all three sets in the first chapter (Hardened Leather is one of them, I think).

The effect is cool but if you're trying to do a full playthrough and can put up with it... :stonk:

Thankfully, there are mods for these things:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/220/ -- Reduced material requirements for dark items

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/649/ -- Dark weapons with dark effects

Also, gently caress that 5 of a kind Poker! achievement, that poo poo is dumb. I tried to get it for like 15 minutes and then just installed this mod.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

^^^I didn't save Saskia because it's implied you may be able to save her another way down the road (although I doubt this will actually appear in TW3, honestly). I didn't kill her, she's just still bound to the dagger or whatever. Mostly because opting to save Triss is a way better story/outcome, imo.

Keep in mind they want people to be able to make this their first Witcher game, so I'm not expecting ~big changes~ in the political state of the world based on previous decisions. Mostly just shout-outs, subtle references, etc. and I'm totally fine with that.

Lycus posted:

They're down on magic? I don't know what the books say, but from the games, sorcerors seem to get a lot more respect there than they do in the North.

I'm pretty sure Sorcerers are kept on a much tighter leash in Nilfgaard, but I may be remembering incorrectly. It's been a little while since I've read the books.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 23, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Forgive me for what I must do, Mr. Troll. You don't deserve this. I hope you find your wife in Troll Elysium. :rip:

Archimago fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Jimbot posted:

It's easier to win the troll head in poker for the ingredient then kill Loredo's thugs in revenge. Everyone wins except for the guy who bought the troll's head but that's what happens when you play dice poker against a save scrubber.

He died not for his head, but my cheevos.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No no

The REAL monster is whoever decided to make that an achievement.

It was probably Comte.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

I heard Comte dropped the nuke that killed your character in CoD4.

Downgrading the PC graphics of TW3 to 900p for console parity was also his doing.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm playing witcher 2 for the first time and out of nowhere a really lovely 3d map popped up and a guy that sounds like an announcer for access hollywood is telling me that he knows the witcher and is acting like a cheeky narrator. wtf is going on with art/tone of this game?

I guess you're supposed to recognize that voice as Dandelion, but if you haven't played the first game you wouldn't. You'll meet him soon enough. And yes, he is cheeky.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I've been enjoying rereading the quest log of TW2--it is very good. Also the soundtrack is pretty great (although I think I may like the first one more).

God, I want this loving game to come out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I have fairly autistic/completionist playthroughs of both Iorveth and Roche's path. I believe only the Iorveth one has the tattoo. I can check if some Goons wanted to use my save files instead of that dude on the CDPR forums just for the tattoo.

Iorveth:
-Saved Aryan
-Saved Stennis
-Saskia still bound to dagger or whatever but not dead
-Saved Triss and went murdertown on all the Nilfgaardians
-Sile alive
-Letho alive
-Little sidequest in Epilogue to save Iorveth completed
-Tattoo not removed
-Trolls not murdered

Literally every sidequest/other thing done in a neutral/good/not-an-rear end in a top hat manner. It was a Dark playthrough and I think I have all the dark equipment, or maybe just the last set. I'd have to double check.

• Locked thread