Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I mean nobody has the game so nobody knows how it will run, but based on the recommended specs it looks like you're going to need pretty close to $1000 to hit that. Not counting if you need an OS License, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

I wouldn't go less than a GTX 970 in terms of video card. Aside from being very fast it's also one of the most price efficient cards on the market right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I loved the first two games a lot, and this one still has me pretty skeptical how they're going to do such a huge open world in a way that's interesting, and also hold together a story roughly on the level of the first two games. It seems like it's going to be a gigantic game and they've obviously underestimated how much work it was going to be, what with the multiple delays and the talk of working hours being extremely poor for much of the development cycle. So I hope it doesn't come out half baked or a horrible buggy mess.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

fanged wang posted:

why are you saying that you don't understand why writing 10x as much story and dialogue could have an impact on the quality of the writing it seems like kinda an obvious thing to me and has been demonstrated in like every open world game made since new vegas

Pretty much comes down to this. Not only are they radically increasing the size and scope of the game, but they are moving away from the very tightly controlled linear chapter locations from the previous games. I'm not so worried about the main story suffering so much as their ability to actually fill the game world with interesting quests and things to do and see.

For what it's worth, Witcher 2 and 3 have had a pretty similar amount of development time (about 4 years), I wonder how much bigger the staff has gotten between the two games.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

OAquinas posted:

I've heard "30 GB" floating around.

Wow, time to clean off the SSD I guess.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a decent way to actually clean out the winsxs folder in Windows 7? The Disk Cleanup utility doesn't do it and it looks like a lot of the newer things to automatically clean it out are Windows 8.1 only. Mine's pushing 20GB at this point, it's getting a bit much.

Maybe it's just time to step up to a larger SSD I guess.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bort Bortles posted:

I got a 250 when I just built my computer and its pretty great.

Yeah 500GB is only $190 these days so I'd be tempted to just buy a new one. Can't decide if I would just reinstall Windows on the new one or not though, I only have a 7 upgrade key so uhg.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Harrow posted:

The worry, I think, is that there's the potential for players who like to explore a lot to find some of the better weapons too early for them to reach their full potential, thus cheating themselves out of a great late-game weapon by finding it too early. I wouldn't be surprised to see guides specifically for items that you should wait to pick up until late-game so that you don't basically steal from your own future effectiveness.

Having loot scale down to your level makes a certain amount of sense, but they're going to have to be really, really careful or too much early-game exploring could actually lead to you having fewer late-game equipment options.

Yeah it was a gigantic problem in Oblivion, largely because you could do stuff in basically any order you wanted to, and all the cool unique rewards in the game would scale down and be lovely if you got them at a low level.

Not that that matter all that much considering in Oblivion you never wanted to level up anyway.

It'll probably be much less of a problem here since items only scale down to your level. But it's still kind of stupid. I don't really get the problem with just letting the player get an item that they have to wait a few levels to use, or just not having level requirements on weapons to begin with. But I don't really get modern AAA games in general. :shrug:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It would probably be good if say, just the random drops or generic weapons scaled to your level, but uniques or quest rewards were always fixed.

I kind of like how Etrian Odyssey handled requirements though. Supposedly the way it works in that game, weapons have minimum stat requirements to get the full damage out of. You can still equip them no matter what, but you lose some proportional % effectiveness if you don't meet the requirements.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They've said multiple times, and in that same quoted article even, that monster's won't scale with your level.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Has there been any word on when GoG is supposed to get their new client? I was thinking it would probably release with Witcher 3 but I don't think I've actually seen anything about it at all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is it running at slower frame rate on the Xbone than the PS4?

Nah, 900p/30fps on Xbone, 1080p/30fps on PS4.

Orv posted:

It's been in beta testing for a while, and this may or may not shock you, but it's a bit (quite) shite.

Doesn't surprise me. I do hope they get it sorted out at some point, the one thing I really hate about using GoG is trying to keep track of patches. Made doubly hard because their filenames never match up with the actual patch versions.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 90 or 120 myself, but I have a pretty good feeling that I'm not going to be pushing even 90fps with only a 970 in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone seen talks of bugs or performance issues or anything like that? This is really surprisingly early to drop the embargo, especially if they were given the entire game to play.

• Locked thread