Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Flytrap posted:

at this point i think the most devastating thing tes 6 could turn out to be is good

That would destroy gamer brains far more than anything else lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Mass exodus of console players ensues as Daggerfall: The ReDaggering releases with an even more complicated character creator and worse starting dungeon. Fast travel has been disabled.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Mass exodus of console players ensues as Daggerfall: The ReDaggering releases with an even more complicated character creator and worse starting dungeon. Fast travel has been disabled.

You better believe you are going to spend 4 days real time walking back to town.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Flowing Thot posted:

You better believe you are going to spend 4 days real time walking back to town.

You can now also only save at designated save points. All of which are only in towns.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

You can now also only save at designated save points. All of which are only in towns.

They'd never have the guts to make such an interesting game.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Complicated quest line of nothing but travel and chatter getting the building permit before you start building your own house valheim style. Out of mud because its set in Black Marsh.

edit: Imperials show up for an inspection and you have to start paying protection of be subjected to constant bandit raids.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 29, 2024

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
This house will have the first bathroom in all of Tamriel

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Complicated quest line of nothing but travel and chatter getting the building permit before you start building your own house valheim style. Out of mud because its set in Black Marsh.

edit: Imperials show up for an inspection and you have to start paying protection of be subjected to constant bandit raids.

The main quest will be to finally do the impossible and reach the Building Commission office in Gideon

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

They'd never have the guts to make such an interesting game.

you can do that in skyrim with the survival mode as of AE.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

you can do that in skyrim with the survival mode as of AE.

They'll have the guts to do that 10 years after the initial release date.

But really, you can curate your play experience and do that sort of stuff if you want to; I've done Skyrim playthroughs where I'd reload to the start of the day if I died, or I'd avoid fast travel that didn't exist as a mechanic in game (carriages etc).

The real limitation is that, even if you can choose as the player do impose these limitations, if the game was designed with this in mine you're going to run into issues. The classic example would be how Morrowind includes detailed in-universe descriptions of how to reach various definitions, while later games just pin a map marker and expect you to either check your compass, or I suppose use clairvoyance.

But I don't want to hand wave their survival mode stuff, I do think it's some of the more interesting things they did with Skyrim and Fallout 4; I really wish it'd been a sign of things to come in Starfield; a willingness to use friction to make more interesting gameplay.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It feels to me that survival was a feature in Starfield, but it got cut (or moved to dlc). There's all the atmospheric conditions that do nothing of note. Food items have been placed all over and have a crafting tree of their own, but barely do anything.

Can't say it will be coming or not, but some of the frame is in place. Not sure that'll be enough for that game though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if they make a survival mode they should probably make suit protection actually work

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
survival mode is kind of hosed in skyrim because no fast travel carriages exist outside of major cities (though you can eventually get carriages at every Hearthfire home and there's a boat in Dawnstar that takes you to Windhelm or Solitude) and the map was so clearly designed with fast travel in mind, like there's only so many times you can make that march from Riften out to Dawnguard castle (or worse the vampire castle where you're like ten minutes walk from Solitude in a permanent blizzard) before you just stop doing quests

you also become hungry within minutes which is basically a permanent -25% buff to melee unless you're just wolfing grilled salmon down seconds before every fight which is hardly within the spirit of things

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah Skyrim's survival is half baked and loaded with issues, hunger tuning definitely being one of them. Plus the map and travel isn't conducive for it. I get more success out of modded survival without the CK content, but even that is an imperfect solution.

F4's default survival was definitely a step up, although not without issues again.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Also the growling stomach noise is nauseating and unpleasant and constant

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like Survival well enough but I'm a sucker for hacky systems like that. Don't think I've ever done New Vegas without Hardcore

Cold is pretty harsh though kind of a pain having to constantly switch between my cozy cloak and hat etc back to armour whenever I get into a fight in the north. Should prob just switch to a better all-in-one mod at some point

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

I like Survival well enough but I'm a sucker for hacky systems like that. Don't think I've ever done New Vegas without Hardcore

Cold is pretty harsh though kind of a pain having to constantly switch between my cozy cloak and hat etc back to armour whenever I get into a fight in the north. Should prob just switch to a better all-in-one mod at some point

FNV didn't stop fast travel you just got hungrier/thirstier/sleepier when you used it which is a fair tradeoff imho

imagine if you literally had to run all the way to the Lucky 38 or your Novac hotel room from halfway across the map every time you wanted to drop poo poo off, awful

F4 almost mitigates this by disabling fast travel but letting you summon a vertibird almost everywhere on the map...but getting on or off a vertibird is so buggy it crashed the game half the time anyway so whoops Todd you've done it again

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Couldn't care less about fast travel, always something cool to see or a dungeon to delve into while walking around. Not like anything in Skyrim is time-limited in any way, I'll turn in those four procedural bounties next time I pass through town like the roaming adventurer I am

Yeah juggling cool gear or supplies is a pain (hoarding loads of iron ore so I can get instantly rich with the Transmute spell ftmfw) but it also means I have to think about what I'm carrying and stops the loot vacuum tendency. Plus between boats and carriages things are pretty well connected. Game cries out desperately for a Mages Guild-teleport/Divine Intervention spell system though. Another mod to add to the list now that I think about it

But that's just me, everyone games different and all I have to say to that is :cheersbird:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Couldn't care less about fast travel, always something cool to see or a dungeon to delve into while walking around. Not like anything in Skyrim is time-limited in any way, I'll turn in those four procedural bounties next time I pass through town like the roaming adventurer I am

there's only about four dungeons between rorikstead and whiterun, no way are you running through your 30th encounter of three wolves or two sabertooths on your dozenth trek through that stretch of land and still relishing it :colbert:

though for awhile a fun workaround was beelining werewolfism because they have such a high sprint speed, then it became a matter of either arriving just out of sight of town to change back or killing a few guards when you got where you were going

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I am actually. And I don't care who knows

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

something I find funny is that the calendar advances a lot faster if you fast travel vs if you run from place to place. especially if you have a horse. I'm not sure how the game calculates it, maybe it uses walking speed.

obviously the clock time doesn't actually matter in game, but it is amusing that if you never fast travel or sleep, you can probably do all the quests in one week

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

something I find funny is that the calendar advances a lot faster if you fast travel vs if you run from place to place. especially if you have a horse. I'm not sure how the game calculates it, maybe it uses walking speed.

obviously the clock time doesn't actually matter in game, but it is amusing that if you never fast travel or sleep, you can probably do all the quests in one week

imagine you've been fighting a civil war for years and in one week dragons return and some guy shows up, kills them all, wins the civil war and becomes the boss of every major political faction in every county while also having skyrim's first ever recorded gay lizard marriage (we all marry derktheeus right?) within less time than it takes you to get your next paycheck

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

imagine you've been fighting a civil war for years and in one week dragons return and some guy shows up, kills them all, wins the civil war and becomes the boss of every major political faction in every county while also having skyrim's first ever recorded gay lizard marriage (we all marry derktheeus right?) within less time than it takes you to get your next paycheck

Yeah in NV in a week you could go from being a guy their was a rumors about surviving getting shot in the head somehow to, meeting then killing house, taking over his empire and bring forward an army on previously unseen army of Securitrons to control the New vegas. This is after single handily taking out an Caesar after massacring more than one legion base. Oh and nuking legion lands for good measure. That was before they decided to pretty much by themselves win the second battle of hover drat everyone had been preparing month for. Oh and than there was also that family of death claws that they punched out while on just a whole bunch of drugs.

Morrowind, going from prisoner to literal god in like a week or so is also pretty impressive brag.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Elder Scrolls Online is just as bad. The game takes place during a three year long war, lol PvP justification, and is already a year in when the game starts. So all of the dozen or so expansions where you go from sacrifice to Molag Bal to having fought every daedric prince, foiling their plans and saving Tamriel/Nirn/existence several times. In the span of a few months you do more than every other Elder Scrolls main character combined.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's like St. Alessia said; there are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where some Argonian ex-con/CIA agent kills everyone in the Tribunal while high on skooma

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's pretty common in a lot of entertainment, that the timescales get extremely compressed when the hero(es) become(s) involved.

In LotR, Sauron is kicked out in less than a year (of course, there's a lot of buildup for years until that happens), in B5, humans, who can't run their economy so that people aren't starving and are prone to facist conspiracies are suddenly titled as an 'elder race', ready to guide younger civilizations, in the span of about four years (after getting rid of two civs who have been around for many millennia).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the mass effect timeline is loving hilarious, first contact was basically last tuesday

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the hit video game Advent Rising, the humanity goes from first contact to extinct to ascendant and revered as Gods in like one weekend

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm the dragonborn, bitch. I run poo poo around here.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Sandepande posted:

It's pretty common in a lot of entertainment, that the timescales get extremely compressed when the hero(es) become(s) involved.

In LotR, Sauron is kicked out in less than a year (of course, there's a lot of buildup for years until that happens),
Rewatched Fellowship's movie a few weeks ago and by god does it work to compress events compared to the books. It makes it seem like the Nazgul set out to find Bilbo before the party even happens and Gandalf is at a huge race to find out the right info before they get there. In the book like 20 years pass between the party and when the Nazgul set out and Gandalf spends a lot of those years loving around.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

It's like St. Alessia said; there are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where some Argonian ex-con/CIA agent kills everyone in the Tribunal while high on skooma

Sotha Sil was dead when I got there

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flowing Thot posted:

Rewatched Fellowship's movie a few weeks ago and by god does it work to compress events compared to the books. It makes it seem like the Nazgul set out to find Bilbo before the party even happens and Gandalf is at a huge race to find out the right info before they get there. In the book like 20 years pass between the party and when the Nazgul set out and Gandalf spends a lot of those years loving around.

Felt a lot of movies that try and show epic long journeys suffer from this. They're trying to make it seem like the journey is taking years and the hero's have traveled to all corners of the globe, and it just sort of feels like they've been traveling over a long weekend and they end up three towns over from where they started.

Yeah you told the actors not to shave for a weekend, that alone does not sell they've been traveling rough on this epic adventure for years on end. There is some films that are really able to capture the passage of time, but yeah a lot seem to find it pretty difficult.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Flowing Thot posted:

I'll be honest, this kinda sounds like a genuinely good change in adaptation. Knowing that the first bit of the book covers twenty years of everyone just kinda loving around doing nothing interesting kills rather a lot of urgency. Like from a Doylist perspective why is that there?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Morrowind plays surprisingly well on Steam Deck if you get OpenMW. I'm wrapping up a completionist run soon. Did you know the highest rank you can get in the Imperial Cult is "Primate"?

I'll wrap up and move on to Oblivion soon and am looking for mods to make it less... less Oblivion. Just thinking out loud here, LMK if you have any suggestions

Character Overhaul V2 makes everybody less unnervingly moon-faced.

DarNified UI makes the interface less XBoxy

Better Cities to make the towns more built out

and maybe also a graphics mod to take the bloom away

There's a lot of great stuff in Oblivion like the dungeons, guild quests and expansions but I guess there's not much you can do about the voice acting.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

If you are going to play Oblivion on Steam Deck as well get Northern UI to be able to have proper controller support on PC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

All You Can Eat posted:

Morrowind plays surprisingly well on Steam Deck if you get OpenMW. I'm wrapping up a completionist run soon. Did you know the highest rank you can get in the Imperial Cult is "Primate"?

I'll wrap up and move on to Oblivion soon and am looking for mods to make it less... less Oblivion. Just thinking out loud here, LMK if you have any suggestions

Character Overhaul V2 makes everybody less unnervingly moon-faced.

DarNified UI makes the interface less XBoxy

Better Cities to make the towns more built out

and maybe also a graphics mod to take the bloom away

There's a lot of great stuff in Oblivion like the dungeons, guild quests and expansions but I guess there's not much you can do about the voice acting.

Oblivion on Steam Deck does not have native controller support; there's a OBSE mod called NorthernUI that pretty much adds full controller support (though on the deck I had issues getting the d-pad hotkeys to work), which doesn't really play nice with Darnified UI. Though NorthernUI's default version is a new more Skyrim-like UI, it does have the native interface in its optional files.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the "Morrowind Comes Alive" mod, but I turn the random road agent encounters way down. It's nice having more fodder in the cities for leveling up speech and pickpocket and whatnot

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

All You Can Eat posted:

Yep, but it's a valid real world use:

"primate noun [C] (PRIEST)

RELIGION
a priest with the highest position in his country:
He was made the Roman Catholic Primate of All Ireland last year."

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's actually a hint that the head of the Divines Church is an Imga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010