Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Op how about stretching this to include quintets as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

david crosby posted:

Here is the greatest quintet of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZgIKZ_jrw

The dude talking about it in the beginning says that it's basically a quartet + extry cello, so it's especially apt. If u wanna talk about Brahms, or Mozart, or whatever, and their quintets, go for it my man.

I find that beethoven's quintets are actually underrated... well, as underrated as anything by him can be. But people always talk about his late quartets.not sure there's anything to talk about really, the music speaks for itself. But, I guess I'll say that as much as i love the sparseness and balance of a quartet, and overall think its the finest musical form, the fuller and broader sound of the quintet really hits the spots sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1Lq28INlE

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

131 is my favourite. I love 132 as well but 131 makes it seem almost old-fashioned, which is ridiculous. from the first moment i ever heard the first bar of 131 i knew I'd found a true deathbed piece.

I urge you to listen to his quintets. There are only four, I believe and they're mostly transcriptions and reworkings of things like piano quintets and... his first opus piano sonata, I think? I think 29 is the only original one.

opus 4 (e flat)
opus 29 (c major)
opus 104 (c minor)

and

string quintent in F major - maybe this is opus 2.

• Locked thread