Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
This week had some nail biters in my league with some friends. One game was won by a 2 pt margin, the other by 3 pts. Also for the first couple of weeks roster swaps were non-existent but now people are really switching things up, leading to better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

Good news, everybody: this week is the first week of the Wuss League that didn't end with a 4+ person tie.

Mostly because Rank Shamer got snowed in and couldn't drop Wickd in time to face the Space Prison. A dirty victory to be sure, only won by 29 points (loving Gravity)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's aight, you're still ranked 1st in points. You and me have a showdown this week for 1st place, which is gonna be very exciting - I'm gonna be spending the next few days figuring how much mitigation I need for the fact that a lot of my EU players are facing one another.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jonny Angel posted:

It's aight, you're still ranked 1st in points. You and me have a showdown this week for 1st place, which is gonna be very exciting - I'm gonna be spending the next few days figuring how much mitigation I need for the fact that a lot of my EU players are facing one another.

I lost to Choco by like 100 points this week because Fnatic and SK faced off against each other and it was not a slugfest. So if you have any reason at all to expect a demolition, bring in some pocket picks.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Well the game that might trip me up is Copenhagen Wolves vs. Fnatic, and both of those are slugfest teams, so I'm inclined to leave Freeze + Soren + Yellowstar in actually. There's also SK vs. UoL, though, so I may want to sub out Vizicsasci for Hauntzer and hold onto Forg1ven because he's the kind of motherfucker who still generates 40 points when his team suffers an embarrassing 0-2 week.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
So if I go 10-0 in League of Mystery but I lose in points who gets the skins?? Should we split the skins between most points and most wins?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Assuming you go 9-0, I think you get the skins. Obviously I'd be fine with a split, but I'm kinda biased on that front. :P

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So here's that post I promised about longitudinal views of the Exempt Non-Residents teams. The squads are again ordered by rank. It's late and I have to get up for work early, though, so for now I'm only going to post the featured matchup for this week - our top two ranked squads!

---

Space Prison 13
Original Starting Roster: Balls, Jankos, PowerOfEvil, Rekkles, NRated, Fox, Team Liquid
Current Starting Roster: Cabochard, Saintvicious, PowerOfEvil, Steelback, Kasing, Fox, Team Gravity (2 originals remaining)
Status of Dropped Players: Balls - Bangarangs Starter; Jankos - Free Agent; Rekkles - Free Agent; NRated - Space Prison 13 Bench; Team Liquid - Free Agent

Smart trades all around - some of them obvious in hindsight, some of them less so. Swapping in Steelback has led to insane scores (29.8 ppg, compared to 18.5 for Rekkles), but so has swapping out Balls for Cabochard. C9 may very well be a stronger team than Gambit - both are on upswings - but Gambit is infinitely more brawly and does much better things for your scoreline. Balls may have found a new home on the Bangarangs, but dropping him was a very fruitful move, as he's performing worst out of top lane starters in the league while Cabochard is 2nd best. The wild cards here are from Gravity - Saint has been posting marginally better numbers than Jankos, and has outscored him for the last two weeks, but Gravity is still looking like a mid-tier team that can't yet be relied upon to put on brawly point-fests.

Did the trades work out? Absolutely. Consider the last week of play: Space Prison cruised to a low-key victory with a scoreline of 250, largely because their opponent was fielding an absent Wickd. If Space Prison had kept their starting roster intact, however, that total would have dropped to 212, and they would've suffered the most embarrassing loss of the league thus far.

Devil Squadron
Original Starting Roster: Overpow, IWDominate, Hai, Woolite, Xpecial, Forg1ven, Winterfox
Current Starting Roster: Hauntzer, Loulex, Soren, Forg1ven, Yellowstar, Freeze, H2K (1 original remaining)
Status of Dropped Players: Overpower - Free Agent; IWDominate - Devil Squadron Bench; Hai - Free Agent; Woolite - Free Agent; Xpecial - Free Agent; Winterfox - Free Agent

The first thing to make clear here is that this is a terrible draft and a terrible original roster. Literally no players dropped from the original Devil Squadron have currently made it onto other teams. Accordingly, Devil Squadron had to essentially completely rebuild itself as a team, and was only able to pick up one Fnatic player, so they've had a lot of work to do. The current backbone of the team has been built around Copenhagen Wolves powerhouses Freeze and Soren, who were somehow both available for pickup in Week 5 despite being the 2nd and 8th highest point scorers in the league respectively. Top lane has been a harder spot to fill, with a disappointing Overpow replaced first by Werlyb (0.5 ppg in week 2, noooo), then Vizicsacsi (13.4 ppg in weeks 4 and 5), and finally Hauntzer. Devil Squadron is ultimately walking into a rather similar situation to Space Prison in week 6: will a new Gravity pickup play dividends?

Did the trades work out? Even more so, absolutely. As mentioned previously, that week 1 roster has looked increasingly dreadful in hindsight, and would have netted Devil Squadron 210 points. Thankfully, they fielded a roster that scored 296 points instead.

---

Overall, these are two very similar teams going into week 6 - both are EU-centric, with players from the top teams of SK and Fnatic anchored by rising stars H2k and mid-tier brawlers Gambit (for Space Prison) and Copenhagen Wolves (for Devil Squadron). They even both dip into NA for the same team - Gravity. This will be an interesting one to watch this week, since while many matches are decided by whether team owners picked players from the right teams that week, this battle may have more to do with who has the right individual players from those same rosters.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Transient People posted:

Assuming you go 9-0, I think you get the skins. Obviously I'd be fine with a split, but I'm kinda biased on that front. :P
This week the battle for second place ensures that I have to worry about one less of you coming from behind. I'm rooting for Frustrated because his team looks more beatable by Copenhagen Wolves randomly scoring a billion points again.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

And here's the result from the Wuss League super showdown

That could not have been closer if we tried.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations! You put together a great squad for this week. I think you've got a decently secure shot at winning the league now. Watch the gently caress out for next week, though, because you know who's the only team in the league with a higher cumulative point total than you?

That's right - it's the Fartsnatchers, your opponent next week. Who somehow have a 3-3 record.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
How do you see cumulative point totals?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
You don't - I just have a google doc spreadsheet that I maintain day-by-day and week-by-week so I can better write my effortposts. Here's where we're at this week, with the caveat that totals might be off by 1 or 2 because I round to whole numbers.

1 Space Prison 13 1527 5-1
2 Rainbros' Revenge 1459 5-1
3 Devil Squadron 1505 4-2
4 Fartsnatchers 1531 3-3
5 Bangarangs 1470 3-3
6 Bjerger Kings 1386 3-3
7 Police & Thieves 1498 1-5
8 Promoted to Wood 5 1244 0-6

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

You don't - I just have a google doc spreadsheet that I maintain day-by-day and week-by-week so I can better write my effortposts. Here's where we're at this week, with the caveat that totals might be off by 1 or 2 because I round to whole numbers.
Why weren't you in League of Mystery?? Almost everyone stopped caring about it by week 3 :(

Something I've been thinking is that if we ever do Mystery Skin leagues again they need to be :toxx: and a moderator needs to be notified just in case.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

Why weren't you in League of Mystery?? Almost everyone stopped caring about it by week 3 :(

I figured that I'm probably good at this, but not good enough to actually win - which is accurate, as it looks like I'mma end up somewhere between 2nd and 4th in the wuss league. Being a boring coward is working out great for me!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hey Choco, Keith isn't starting this week. You, uh, might want to put someone else in his place.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Transient People posted:

Hey Choco, Keith isn't starting this week. You, uh, might want to put someone else in his place.
What the hell I swore that I had replaced him with Ryu and it didn't go through :negative:

No wonder my score was so butthole today I didn't have my roster in correctly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

You can make trades now! There's still contention for the #1 slot in League of Mystery between Transiet, Kitty, and I. Anything could happen! I've barely been scraping by lately and I've only won a week-by-week because I just happened to have players with a better week than my opponent.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Week nine is going to be an absolutely magnificent clusterfuck if Kitty clinches this one and I don't goof against Monathin. Somehow the league with a 'default obvious winner' managed to end more competitive than the money league with a three way tie for first at the halfway point!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yo Transient I've realized that your iconic TSM/Fnatic/SK lineup in the League of Mystery has the same color scheme as Corona beer and I'm laughing really hard at that for some reason

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The League's almost over and I've already had someone PM me about wanting to participate in the Summer league! I've been thinking about different ways to improve the experience of our High Stakes league and making it a bit more interactive and competitive, it's just more fun when people are trash-talking and trading picks and making shady deals in a back alley to sabotage someone else. Here's just a couple ideas I had:

*Making people :toxx: just so we can make sure that the high stakes leagues get paid off in a timely manner and we don't have people months from now still going unpaid.
*Taking the top players from both of our High Stakes leagues and combining them into one, really competitive and active league.
*Setting much harder dates for the draft so we don't end up waiting until the last second and having a CPU draft over half the league.
*Harder rules about ties and consolation prizes for other players (IE: players who got the most points overall -- Possibly a league where you buy two mystery gifts, one for each winner?)
*More trash talking!

Right now if you're in either of the High Stakes leagues, you should go ahead and add the forerunners in the league so you can get their mystery skins out soon, it takes 3 weeks or something silly before you can send one so you might as well add anyone in the running to win right now.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
More guarantees on draft times, ties, and consolation prizes would definitely motivate my effort-posting rear end to join a prize league. These plans all seem like solid plans.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

First things first.

Jenny Angel posted:

Yo Transient I've realized that your iconic TSM/Fnatic/SK lineup in the League of Mystery has the same color scheme as Corona beer and I'm laughing really hard at that for some reason

I totally missed this before and it's magnificent. Thanks Jonny, I needed the laughs.

Now, on to business...

Flameingblack posted:

The League's almost over and I've already had someone PM me about wanting to participate in the Summer league! I've been thinking about different ways to improve the experience of our High Stakes league and making it a bit more interactive and competitive, it's just more fun when people are trash-talking and trading picks and making shady deals in a back alley to sabotage someone else. Here's just a couple ideas I had:

*Making people :toxx: just so we can make sure that the high stakes leagues get paid off in a timely manner and we don't have people months from now still going unpaid.
*Taking the top players from both of our High Stakes leagues and combining them into one, really competitive and active league.
*Setting much harder dates for the draft so we don't end up waiting until the last second and having a CPU draft over half the league.
*Harder rules about ties and consolation prizes for other players (IE: players who got the most points overall -- Possibly a league where you buy two mystery gifts, one for each winner?)
*More trash talking!

Right now if you're in either of the High Stakes leagues, you should go ahead and add the forerunners in the league so you can get their mystery skins out soon, it takes 3 weeks or something silly before you can send one so you might as well add anyone in the running to win right now.

Just the sheer existence of the Trade option will make Fantasy LCS way more interesting because it'll let tactical and strategic swaps happen (for instance, if I had known I could swing it, I would've swapped Kitty one or two of my players to ensure a win so we could both stay in the running) and let players who got dealt a raw deal compete better instead of being stuck sucking for nine weeks. I don't disagree with toxxing players so they don't welch though, and people showing up for draft would be kind of nice too. Point and victory awards also sound fun. Overall, I'm cool with all of these ideas!

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

While it was fun, I'm not playing fantasy league again till there is a real waiver system. Fnatic ruined both leagues I was in this season as one or two people just picked up their whole roster before anyone else had a chance and rode it to a championship. If the fnatic roster had been spread out, it'd have been a much more competitive season.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Frustrated posted:

While it was fun, I'm not playing fantasy league again till there is a real waiver system. Fnatic ruined both leagues I was in this season as one or two people just picked up their whole roster before anyone else had a chance and rode it to a championship. If the fnatic roster had been spread out, it'd have been a much more competitive season.
The ability to offer trades now will curb it. You've gotta be kind of quick on picking those members up, no one expected FNatic to be THAT good this season in the same way nobody expected Alliance to suck rear end. It was the same story last season with Kerp/Kev1n and the Milenium crew being the highest fantasy points in their respective roles.

Next split probably won't be as wild as this season was, lots of teams had entirely new rosters.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Yeah, trades + no missing players for first draft would curb a lot of the stupidity. I'd argue autodraft did way more damage than fnatic surprising people. There's no world in which I should've been able to grab Forgiven, Sven, Dyrus, SK AND Bjergsen in draft without giving something else up. That was absolute nonsense.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

There are a lot fewer strategic decisions in fantasy LOL because there are no injuries and no bye weeks. You rarely have true roster scarcity, and there's not a ton of incentive to do much more than set your best guys. You can mess around based on matchups, you have to track new players emerging/players underperofrming consistently, and there is a limited amount of roster turnover, but altogether it's just not quite as much fun as other fantasy sports.

Trades help a bit, and it's still fun enough. I enjoyed my first season and would do it again.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What would the "waiver system" that got mentioned entail? I'm not really familiar with fantasy sports terms - I guess it'd be something that puts some kind of soft limitations on acquisitions, so that someone can't trade away their entire roster for a new one in the span of 2 minutes?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hell of a way to start off my last fantasy week - 95 points off three players. 1st place is entirely out of reach, but I'm feeling good about a strong finish.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Right now, there are no limitations on free agent (unrostered player) acquisitions - you can add someone whenever and however often you want. This obviously benefits people who are extremely focused on the league and watching events unfold live. To give a bit more balance, other fantasy leagues typically lock free agent acquisitions for some period of time and then have a process for establishing who gets players. I'm familiar with two systems.

One assigns priority to teams based on their draft position. So the last team to draft would have first priority. If they want a free agent, they put in a claim. They get that person, and then they have last priority and everyone else moves up. If they don't put in a claim on a player and the second priority does, the second person gets it and moves down.

Alternatively, you can give everyone a budget of $100 fun bucks at the start of the league. To add a player, you put in a blind bid (you don't see what others are bidding). When the free agents unlock after the week's games, the highest bidder wins the player. Your $100 has to carry you through the entire season.

I prefer the bid system myself, as it's a fun bit of strategic thinking.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Giodo! posted:

Right now, there are no limitations on free agent (unrostered player) acquisitions - you can add someone whenever and however often you want. This obviously benefits people who are extremely focused on the league and watching events unfold live. To give a bit more balance, other fantasy leagues typically lock free agent acquisitions for some period of time and then have a process for establishing who gets players. I'm familiar with two systems.

One assigns priority to teams based on their draft position. So the last team to draft would have first priority. If they want a free agent, they put in a claim. They get that person, and then they have last priority and everyone else moves up. If they don't put in a claim on a player and the second priority does, the second person gets it and moves down.

Alternatively, you can give everyone a budget of $100 fun bucks at the start of the league. To add a player, you put in a blind bid (you don't see what others are bidding). When the free agents unlock after the week's games, the highest bidder wins the player. Your $100 has to carry you through the entire season.

I prefer the bid system myself, as it's a fun bit of strategic thinking.
You can do that in your own league if you'd like but good luck getting more than 4 people together at one time and better luck getting anyone to remember the rules

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

It's not something that requires people to be present at the same time. You just put in your claim or your bid and it gets automatically resolved at the appropriate time.

It's also really not at all complicated; basically every fantasy football league uses one of the two systems and millions of people play that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Apollo has to get about 20 points while St Vicious needs to choke, hard for me to win this week. But since my opponent has Apollo's support too It's going to make it so close, Team ImPact need to stomp their game today and Adrian can't get many assists.

But TiP are against CLG today so I think I've lost my undefeated streak and tie with League of Transients :negative:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Apollo has to get about 20 points while St Vicious needs to choke, hard for me to win this week. But since my opponent has Apollo's support too It's going to make it so close, Team ImPact need to stomp their game today and Adrian can't get many assists.

But TiP are against CLG today so I think I've lost my undefeated streak and tie with League of Transients :negative:

Wanna raise the bet and decide it via playoffs choco? Put two mystery skins on the line, whoever better predicts the playoffs takes all.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
C'mon, c'mon, just need this CLG/TIP game to contain more big brawly trades like the one that just happened so that Wharfinger can lose and I can barely skate past him on tiebreaker points to take 2nd place...

Even if that doesn't happen, I'm really happy with how my first fantasy league turned out, especially because I wasn't even there for the draft and got fed a crew of Liquid/Roccat shitters.

EDIT: Neither piece of that plan worked. 3rd place!

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 30, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I think I won?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

League's ended and stats got released. I could say a ton of things but I'm gonna sum it up with one emote: :holy:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

:negative: and I didn't even lose to you

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Transient People posted:

League's ended and stats got released. I could say a ton of things but I'm gonna sum it up with one emote: :holy:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

CORONA LIFE, MOTHERFUCKER. FIND YOUR BEACH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

So did my victory against CLG.PU this week screw him over and give the win to League of Transients? Sorry buddy.

• Locked thread