Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Flameingblack posted:

Just like a bright-eyed new prospect on CLG, we've been kicked out.

Too true op, too true

More seriously, let's talk some sleepers. Ignoring the players whom everybody has wised up on by now (like the entire fnatic roster, the winterfoxes, etc.), who do you think can still impress this coming week? I'm pondering if it's a decent investment to grab WerlyB and Fred3ric from Giants to replace my top and jungler ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Well, Giants basically got two byes first week, so it's hard to say if they're legit or just got the easiest pair anybody's gonna get for a long time. I'm going in on them anyways, but there's a difference between grabbing some of them and snatching Fnatic picks. I do agree on CW though - they don't know how to finish games, so if they don't get godstomped they might make people money.

Jonny Angel posted:

Why hello, it's the chick who picked up Yellowstar, Winterfox, and WerlyB here.

I'm going really hard on the "sleepers" (though I'd agree with Flameingblack that it's hard to call them that anymore), given that my team loses by 30 points to my week 2 opponent in expected values. A large part of that is that my starters include Overpow and Woolite, and I do not like the looks of Roccat's schedule this week. So support flex pick it is!

Oof, my condolences. Roccat just really disappointed me first week - I only had Vander but he still really sunk my points compared to what I coulda had with someone else. Can't imagine the damage Woolite must have done with how Roccat played.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Not for Week 2, I think - a position locks instantly if you have someone who's already played a game there, and you can't pick players who've played either. So it'll have to be a gamble either way...not that any of those choices are terrible, though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

post-SK score status for week 2: 118 points vs 24

rip in peperonies monathin

EDIT: Post-game 2 SK score status for Week 2: 253 vs 54. :sbahj:

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 30, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Is there any way to view free agents in leagues that aren't your own? I could offer a breakdown if so. Regardless though, Csacsi is provably good and you get a 'free' week of data on Avalon starting tomorrow. Wait and see how WFX performs with the Bruiser Bros on deck and pick accordingly I think.

(And yes, probably sub Hai out, even if he plays well he won't score very highly)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

It's okay, because Impact is equally as bad as Werlyb so thanks karma, I guess. I can't believe I got rid of Lustboy on accident GG

Toplane draft is a freakin wasteland. My toplane choices in the Megling Genocide league right now are Werlyb, Cris, Avalon, Cabochard, Youngbuck and Hauntzer. :shepicide:

League of My$tery's ain't much better either. Overpow is reasonably solid, but he's the best of a bad lot. NA and EU really, REALLY need better toplane talent.

EDIT: Don't feel too bad about giving up Lustboy btw. Sheep got 16 points to his 18 today, it's not a huge dropoff. Could be better, but it could be much worse.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

I'm 0-2 now having lost to the top point getting team two weeks in a row. drat you exempt non-residents.

...That can happen? I thought you had to play everybody once before you played them again. Also, what's your team look like, Libertine?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Frustrated posted:

Fnatic is a perfect example of how riot's fantasy program needs a fleshed out waiver system that makes people wait till a certain point in the week before picking up new players. So many fantasy leagues have been ruined by someone picking up the entire fnatic roster right after their first game.

I'm like 99% positive grabbing Steeel and Yellow won me the league weeks in advance. Them plus Forg1ven combining for an automatic 150 points a week is absurd. I don't even know how you could build a team to reliably outscore that poo poo.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

No one's even coming close to the points you're pulling, it's not even a close race. You're the only player who can beat me, and you're drawing over 100 points higher than me. There's no consolation prize for second, it was the ultimate gamble :negative:

If it's any consolation, I am getting absolutely bodied in my other league. When my best choices for flex, top and jungle are Woolite, Odoamne and Loulex I am in deep, deep poo poo. :shepicide:

EDIT: There's one thing you can do to up your chances. Drop Vander. I did it first week and it was one of the best decisions I made. Try Unlimited or Eddie, they'll make you more money. Maybe gamble on Pinoy over Woolie, though that's a bigger gamble.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 15, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

So it looks like I'm going to finish this game with a 3-1 record but be 5th place out of 8, on account of the legit 5-way tie and the fact that I have the lowest combined score of those 5 (at 975).

On the plus side, next week we have the other four 3-1 teams going against each other and me going against the 8th place team, so unless I screw things up massively I'll be 4-1 and in 3rd place!

You just reminded me to go take a look at combined point totals for League of My$tery and Megling Genocide. Jeeze, Choco wasn't kidding when he said LoM was a massacre. 1255 points, then the other two league leaders are at 957 and 906. Megling is much more competitive, no 300+ point leads there.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

That was an amazing writeup, and I wish we had more of those around. Would anybody be interested in a writeup of either of the money leagues (Megling Genocide and League of My$tery)? There's a lot that could be said about Choco's great and adaptive picks, or the sheer comedy of some of the Megling roster swaps.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

You can actually win if I lose our clash tomorrow/this week. Don't count yourself out. If SK bodies fnatic you have decent shot (oddly enough).

---

Now, since I'm awake and can't sleep, and there's time to kill, let's do a...

Megling Genocide League Rundown

Of the two money leagues I am aware of, Megling Genocide is the one with the biggest battle for the pole position, with all four frontrunner teams ready to battle it out starting tomorrow. That being the case, it's interesting to analyze how this league became so contested. Let's break down the teams:

Rekt by Rek'sai (Mistaya)
Weekly Record L (vs All About That Jayce), W (vs Scarra's Poachers), W (vs 10/10 Would Do Trist), W (vs Cash Losing Game)
Original Roster: Calitrlolz8, Meteos, Shiphtur, Altec, Edward, Link, Elements
Current Roster: Vizicsacsi, Meteos, Link, Steeelback, Yellowstar, Altec, Team Solo Mid
Average Points Per Week: 273.98
Total Points Accumulated: 1095.93

At the top of the standings by a hair, Mistaya's team is a sterling example of how to discard assumptions derived from previous fantasy drafts and adapt rapidly. After a disastrous Week One (217 points! And beaten by a hair by All About That Jayce thanks to the insane performance of IWillDominate on the opening week), the rapid acquisition of Steeelback and deployment of Yellowstar and Vizicsacsi from the bench quickly righted the ship. The team has remained at the top of the standings ever since, padding its lead with two easy wins against the bottom teams before a skin-of-the-teeth clash with Cash Losing Game that saw it emerge victorious. It's hard to say whether the lead will hold as the draft changes and evolves and the other teams racing for first get some extra wins in against the easier competition, but Mistaya's keen eye is sure to keep her in contention until the very last week of the league, at the least.

Team Richard Dorkins (Mastercoo7588)
Weekly Record L (vs Scarra's Poachers), W (vs 10/10 Would Do Trist), W (vs Cash Losing Game), W (vs Poor Impulse Control)
Original Roster: Mimer, Shook, Bjergsen, Doublelift, Sheep, Fox, Cloud 9
Current Roster: Impact, Shook, Bjergsen, Doublelift, Nrated, Fox, Cloud 9
Average Points Per Week: 268.34
Total Points Accumulated: 1073.39

The runner-up in the race for the throne, TRD was also a victim of early week weirdness - a roster that had yet to be fully ironed out was defeated by Obscurity in a close-but-not-that-close match, once again with a Team Liquid bump propelling the opponent team to victory. The replacement of Mimer for Impact and Sheep for Nrated was all it took to catapult the team to stardom, as they posted a game 40 points better than their first (admittedly against the weakest team in the league), before obliterating Cash Losing Game with an astounding 323 point week. A less than 10-point win against fellow challenger Poor Impulse Control served to solidify their place in the standings, leaving them in a prime position for the big clash of Week 5, against their closest opponent - the team immediately following.

Aziriously Biznasty (AdjectiveNoun)
Weekly Record W (vs 10/10 Would Do Trist), W (vs Cash Losing Game), L (vs Poor Impulse Control), W (vs All About That Jayce)
Original Roster: Fredy122, Jankos, Febiven, Sneaky, Lemonnation, Forg1ven, Team Impulse
Current Roster: Fredy122, Svenskeren, Febiven, Forg1ven, Lemonnation, Pobelter, Counter Logic Gaming
Average Points Per Week: 259.91
Total Points Accumulated: 1039.67

The most feared team before the start of week one, hands down. Nownn was the man to beat coming into the league, and this has remained absolutely true with the passing of weeks and the strengthening of his roster, in spite of not holding the top position. It's hard to blame him for it, really - his loss to Poor Impulse Control was a matter of less than a single point (279.48 vs 279.77!), and even that miracle has not kept him from steamrolling his opponents, match after match. Week five will be a make-or-breaker, though, as the match with Team Richard Dorkins may decide who gets to rise to the undisputed pole position. Keep your eyes peeled for this one.

Poor Impulse Control (Enigma105)
Weekly Record L (vs Cash Losing Game), W (vs All About That Jayce), W (vs Aziriously Biznasty), L (vs Team Richard Dorkins)
Original Roster: Balls, Rush, Froggen, P1noy, Xpecial, Pobelter, Roccat
Current Roster: Huni, Xmithie, Froggen, P1noy, Bunnyfufuu, Slooshi8, Fnatic
Average Points Per Week: 254.22
Total Points Accumulated: 1016.91

The one team not to benefit from the Liquid Bump enough to win, Enigma has nonetheless managed to bring his team back from what seemed like a very bad start, defeating All About That Jayce with is before rallying to pull off a miracle win against Nownn. It would not be unfair to call this team the spoiler - anybody can win against it, just as anybody can lose. And this makes Enigma's matchup with Rekt By Rek'sai this week all the more important. A win will allow the team to finally get over the hump and secure a good position for itself, having played all three of the other top contenders to reasonable success and being left with only the weaker teams to farm wins off of. A loss will put it at the mercy of chance and luck, as far as securing the top spot goes. Watch the Elements game - Froggen's performance will most likely be what determines if this team rises or falls.

Scarra's Poachers (Lloydd Christmas/Obscurity)
Weekly Record W (vs Team Richard Dorkins), L (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs All About That Jayce), W (10/10 Would Do Trist)
Original Roster: Quas, Kikis, XiaoWeiXiao, Cop, Aphromoo, Adryh, Winterfox
Current Roster: Quas, Kikis, Fenix, Cop, Aphromoo, Helios, Unicorns of Love
Average Points Per Week: 229.62
Total Points Accumulated: 918.49

And here is where we move from the contenders to the also-rans. It's true that Obscurity's team has been the only one to hand TRD a loss, so far, but, as the Monkees would say...that was then, this is now. Two categorical losses, one against a top team and another against a mid-level squad, have left this team in a bad position. Getting an easy win has helped take the sting off those losses, but now the team's tournament life is on the line. A win against Cash Losing Game will allow them to keep hope a live. A loss will most likely seal their fate for a middle-of-the-table finish. The lack of a major point-scorer on the Flex slot is sure to hurt them in what is likely to be a high-stakes match. Keep an eye on Team Liquid this week - if they fall, so fall Scarra's Poachers.

All About That Jayce (Proposition Joe)
Weekly Record W (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs Poor Impulse Control), W (vs Scarra's Poachers), L (vs Aziriously Biznasty)
Original Roster: Wickd, IWillDominate, Soren, Rekkles, Vander, MrRallez, Team Liquid
Current Roster: Wickd, Reignover, Nukeduck, Rekkles, Vander, IWDominate, Team Liquid
Average Points Per Week: 217.86
Total Points Accumulated: 871.45

Dead in the water. It's harsh to say of a team that managed to steal a win from a top flight squad, but Proposition Joe's team has never been truly competitive, posting clean losses (including, I believe, the single most ghastly performance in the league last week, 153.77 points. Absolutely wretched) and only one clear win. This would normally not be a problem. What is a problem is the failure to adapt to the roster change of Elements. There's only some 11 hours left before LCS spots lock in as of the creation of this writeup, and if a swap for Wickd is not undertaken soon, AATJ will roll into battle with one spot posting 0 points this week. For a team that has never been particularly high-scoring, that's an absolute death sentence.

Cash Losing Game (Transient People)
Weekly Record W (vs Poor Impulse Control), L (vs Aziriously Biznasty), L (vs Team Richard Dorkins), L (vs Rekt by Rek'sai)
Original Roster: Cris, Diamond, Hai, Wildturtle, Lustboy, PowerOfEvil, SK Gaming
Current Roster: Youngbuck, Saintvicious, PowerOfEvil, Wildturtle, Lustboy, KEITHMCBRIEF, SK Gaming
Average Points Per Week: 246.93
Total Points Accumulated: 987.72

Hm. Weird. Something about this doesn't seem right. I wonder what it-

...Oh.

Not only am I writing about myself, but there's an amusing amount of things to talk about. The first is that despite the 1-3 start, Cash Losing Game is more competitive than it looks - its point value is close to that of the top contenders, beating the two preceding teams by more than 60 total points and posting a 20 point higher average. Three things are to blame for this team's losses: The first is the extremely stacked early weeks (four straight matches against the contenders!), the second is sheer bad luck (an extremely close loss against Rekt by Rek'sai might have sealed Mistaya's championship), and the third and most important are the sheer amount of boneheaded decisions made by its manager. The active lineup doesn't tell the story of all the bench hijinks that went on with this team, but that's a matter for a different part of the writeup. The second noticeable thing is this team's extremely volatile composition: Out a toplaner and jungle after the mediocre performances of Cris and Diamond in week one, Transient People has drafted a new jungler and top every week, looking for 'the ones' to no avail, and also replacing POE in the flex slot for Woolite, who has recently been swapped for Keith in a massive gamble. Should this latest set of decisions pay off, it's possible that Cash Losing Game might make a run for the title - its three next remaining matches are with the other weak teams, which it could potentially defeat and thus come in 4-3 for the final two weeks, at which point a dark horse victory would be unlikely, but not impossible. But that's very far away, and very much reliant on lady luck's blessing. First, a good roster has to be established, and only the games can tell whether these swaps will prove to be enlightened, or yet another step in the downward spiral. This team's fortunes reinforce an old truism: No matter what, never play the Cash Losing Game.

10/10 Would Do Trist (noushutupdad)
Weekly Record L (vs Aziriously Biznasty), L (vs Team Richard Dorkins), L (vs Rekt by Rek'sai), L (vs Scarra's Poachers)
Original Roster: Dyrus, Airwaks, Jesiz, Woolite, Nyph, Ryu, Team Solo Mid
Current Roster: Dyrus, Santorin, Kori, Mash, Nyph, Freeze, Gravity
Average Points Per Week: 206.38
Total Points Accumulated: 825.54

The stone cold last place finisher. Nothing more to say here. I could just have posted the original and current rosters and left it at that, but you could talk for days about the mistakes this team's made. Look at that point average! This team, more than any other, lays bare the uncomfortable truth of the Fantasy League: The way to win isn't to grab guys who might be high-scorers, it's to grab players who are consistent. Woolite, Nyph, Mash, Kori, Ryu...these guys are anything but. Sometimes they can explode and get 50 points, but most days they'll just get 20, if that.That's a death sentence. There isn't much this team can do to save itself, short of a terminal case of the stupids from another team. It can, however, act as the ultimate spoiler, if it decides to give away its best players. Dyrus and Santorin could reinforce practically any squad and turn it into a top flight team (Santorin especially), and they are currently doing nothing in this squad. noushutupdad may not win the league, but he could very well end up being its kingmaker, if he decides to play that way.

---

Smartest Manager In The League Award

It's impossible to pretend the Man With The Plan of this league wasn't Nownn. Circumstances might have conspired to keep him from the top position, but unless one instance of bad luck turns into a trend, his pitch-perfect opening draft and acquisitions will lock down the league for him. Megling Genocide is highly competitive and anything can happen, but if I had to bet on just one person, I'd bet on Nownn.

Nitwit of the League Dishonorable Mention

That'd be me, Transient People. It's hard to really put the chain of :downs: that led to those losses into words, but let me try.

-Acquired Impact and Helios in first draft.
-Noticing they couldn't play, drafted Diamond and Cris for first week, hoping to deploy them in week 2.
-Didn't keep them on the bench, thus ensuring they would be picked up (:downs:).
-Scrambling for a replacement, bought into the Giants hype, twice, drafting Werlyb and Fr3deric (:downs: :downs:)
-Grabbed Avalon and Loulex on the next week...not a bad draft, but on Avalon's worst week, it was not enough to compete against TRD's 323 point monster.
-Drafted Woolite, in spite of prizing consistency above all else. :shepicide:

It's not one decision, but a chain of bad ones that has kept Cash Losing Game from leading the league. It may be too late to fix past fuckups, but at least this comedy of errors had one positive effect - ensuring that I knew what NOT to do in the other money league, and leading to a set of performances that have been dominant as all hell. In a way, Megling Genocide's been an unwitting testbed for the other money League...though I'd have much preferred if it hadn't turned out that way.

---

Other money league tomorrow, maybe. Depends on whether I'm too busy marking out over EULCS or crushed by the weight of :shepicide:.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Also worth screenshotting:

The whole league really is riding on this week. This match by itself almost outscored everybody else combined so far.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Giodo! posted:

I like the write-up!

My team blows but 11 hours was plenty of time to make a change for Wickd. Also I finally dumped a lot of dead weight, getting rid of Wickd, Vander, and MrRallez in favor of Hylissang, Avalon, and Apollo. And obviously those guys are the key to winning the championship.

Last week was just hilarious though.

Now those are decent swaps. I would definitely revise that writeup in light of those changes. Avalon makes me a little antsy (WFX is kind of a rollercoaster) but the other two are very solid performers. That's definitely enough to at least make a run.

EDIT: My goondolences about Rekkles though. Elements are such shitters.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

loving poo poo I hate Elements.

People still had faith in elements after their past shitshow games? I was really happy I passed their dudes over the second they had their first poo poo game. Consistency is too important to win fantasy and elements is the most inconsistent team in both leagues.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

And that's the clincher. Barring a hypercarry performance from Bjergsen AND Dyrus (that somehow gives TSM zero objectives) and Keith also tanking, you win the big one. Well played, Choco. But this isn't over yet...!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

We get to face one another one more time, right?

Jesus christ how did Edward manage to get the most points in Europe this week

Assuming we both absolutely murder the rest of the league, I think that's right. Maybe even two times if I win the second, because then we'll be tied for the head to head.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

It's aight, you're still ranked 1st in points. You and me have a showdown this week for 1st place, which is gonna be very exciting - I'm gonna be spending the next few days figuring how much mitigation I need for the fact that a lot of my EU players are facing one another.

I lost to Choco by like 100 points this week because Fnatic and SK faced off against each other and it was not a slugfest. So if you have any reason at all to expect a demolition, bring in some pocket picks.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Assuming you go 9-0, I think you get the skins. Obviously I'd be fine with a split, but I'm kinda biased on that front. :P

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hey Choco, Keith isn't starting this week. You, uh, might want to put someone else in his place.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Week nine is going to be an absolutely magnificent clusterfuck if Kitty clinches this one and I don't goof against Monathin. Somehow the league with a 'default obvious winner' managed to end more competitive than the money league with a three way tie for first at the halfway point!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

First things first.

Jenny Angel posted:

Yo Transient I've realized that your iconic TSM/Fnatic/SK lineup in the League of Mystery has the same color scheme as Corona beer and I'm laughing really hard at that for some reason

I totally missed this before and it's magnificent. Thanks Jonny, I needed the laughs.

Now, on to business...

Flameingblack posted:

The League's almost over and I've already had someone PM me about wanting to participate in the Summer league! I've been thinking about different ways to improve the experience of our High Stakes league and making it a bit more interactive and competitive, it's just more fun when people are trash-talking and trading picks and making shady deals in a back alley to sabotage someone else. Here's just a couple ideas I had:

*Making people :toxx: just so we can make sure that the high stakes leagues get paid off in a timely manner and we don't have people months from now still going unpaid.
*Taking the top players from both of our High Stakes leagues and combining them into one, really competitive and active league.
*Setting much harder dates for the draft so we don't end up waiting until the last second and having a CPU draft over half the league.
*Harder rules about ties and consolation prizes for other players (IE: players who got the most points overall -- Possibly a league where you buy two mystery gifts, one for each winner?)
*More trash talking!

Right now if you're in either of the High Stakes leagues, you should go ahead and add the forerunners in the league so you can get their mystery skins out soon, it takes 3 weeks or something silly before you can send one so you might as well add anyone in the running to win right now.

Just the sheer existence of the Trade option will make Fantasy LCS way more interesting because it'll let tactical and strategic swaps happen (for instance, if I had known I could swing it, I would've swapped Kitty one or two of my players to ensure a win so we could both stay in the running) and let players who got dealt a raw deal compete better instead of being stuck sucking for nine weeks. I don't disagree with toxxing players so they don't welch though, and people showing up for draft would be kind of nice too. Point and victory awards also sound fun. Overall, I'm cool with all of these ideas!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Yeah, trades + no missing players for first draft would curb a lot of the stupidity. I'd argue autodraft did way more damage than fnatic surprising people. There's no world in which I should've been able to grab Forgiven, Sven, Dyrus, SK AND Bjergsen in draft without giving something else up. That was absolute nonsense.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Apollo has to get about 20 points while St Vicious needs to choke, hard for me to win this week. But since my opponent has Apollo's support too It's going to make it so close, Team ImPact need to stomp their game today and Adrian can't get many assists.

But TiP are against CLG today so I think I've lost my undefeated streak and tie with League of Transients :negative:

Wanna raise the bet and decide it via playoffs choco? Put two mystery skins on the line, whoever better predicts the playoffs takes all.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

League's ended and stats got released. I could say a ton of things but I'm gonna sum it up with one emote: :holy:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Goldrush drafting definitely is better IMO - because adaptability and knowing how to deny players from your competition (or reinforce the teams your competition plays with a quick trade) adds a much more engaging factor, since it keeps you thinking about the draft outside of match time. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a test draft of it though, if only to see how it works in practice.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

No problem, it was glitchy on my end when I had to pay up for the other money league as well. It'd oddly temperamental, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

We should take it to the main thread, whiners can deal. It's good to know drafting's open already though! Means we can start doing plans for this split. Anybody up for a new money league?

• Locked thread