Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You're the one who doesn't get it. The only people who could ever enjoy this game are people who want to keep track of tedious bullshit, so they're on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is it just one person working on this and why hasn't it been fully abandon? It looks like they are only putting out releases every 3 months and it's all trivial poo poo like ammo use and tweaking their insane housing system.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sunk cost fallacy, mostly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
One day this ugly duckling will turn into a ugly duck! You'll see!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If Blizzard released a patch that added nothing but two new restrictions and two new microtransactions, their player base would be howling for blood right now. PFO players are saying "Please sir, may I have another"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PFO has players?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Player*

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

One day this ugly duckling will turn into a ugly duck! You'll see!

Judging by the graphics, I think this duckling has progeria.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is this thing still shambling in a twilight of undeath with a miniscule but devoted playerbase?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 9, 2018

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is this thing still shambling in a twilight of undeath with a miniscule but devoted playerbase?

Couldn't this be asked of probably 98% of MMOs?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, it's less of an MMORPG and more of a MORPG.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, it's less of an MMORPG and more of a MORPG.

It sounds like what they should really do to save costs is replace the PFO server with a NWN 1 persistent world server. Sure, it's capped at like 128 players, but how many people are really on PFO anyway?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Don't dump that trashfire on NWN1. It still has comparatively interesting and playable servers.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I recall NWN persistent worlds not really working out well, especially the heavy rp ones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
hpapylef used to have great rants about how lovely they were.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There were a couple of goons who liked to break them over their knees too, I recall.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought Ultima Online was the go-to MMO where the only reason to play is griefing. Did NWN let you run around naked carrying poison pie?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought Ultima Online was the go-to MMO where the only reason to play is griefing. Did NWN let you run around naked carrying poison pie?

No but depending on the server settings you could bring in equipment with spells that no one could resist ever so you could do various things like knock people down (which prevents them from doing anything but leaving the server), forever.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 7, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Orv posted:

No but depending on the server settings you could bring in equipment with spells that no one could resist ever so you could do various things like knock people down (which prevents them from doing anything but leaving the server), forever.

Neverwinter's controversial decision to buff Garland had some unintended side effects, I see.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

John Dyne posted:

He is now part of the good guys, alongside the witch king of the dark elves who also had daddy issues and was pissed he was denied to be king of the elves because he was evil poo poo who also did the fusion dance with his dragon.

You mean elf darth vader who lives with his mum?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anakin, Who Lives At Home would be a hell of an indie drama.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Does this thing still exist? With all of the uh ... noteworthy? ... design of PF 2e, has Paizo euthanized this yet?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still supposedly being worked on, but no idea about the truth of their occasional updates.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Report from GenCon 2018 presentation, posted a month ago in the PFO reddit—most recent post, no comments posted:

This was streamed on the official Paizo twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/officialpaizo. Small room, about a dozen folks there, just Lisa Stevens talking (and a couple helpers running tech, monitoring chat, etc.).

Lisa spent about 10 minutes going over the last few updates of patch notes.

Future milestones:
Enchanting. Most of the design is done, working on the code. Hoping for October.

Factions. Join a faction, increases your standing, etc. Golarion factions, gods, etc.

New Player Experience. Lisa says the game is "sexy" and "fun to play" but hard to get into. There's a new VP of marketing who worked for TSR and WotC, and MMOs like DDO, WizardsOnline (?), something else (I didn't hear this clearly).

Azoth Store. A type of currency sold for real money, can be traded in-game, and used to pay for a subscription. Cash Shop will be expanded in the future.

New Art. A house will be added to the game. There are currently no staff artists. New art needs to already be made, but not implemented. They can acquire it from hiring people, Unity store, etc. They have a tech artist willing to convert some existing monster art, once the contract gets finalized (30-40 new monsters). They might be able to pay some artists to finish Gnomes.

New Pricing Options. Currently $15/mo. They want more options, but don't know what they are yet. Crowdforging. There needs to be a free trial of some sort, but balanced better than before (people abusing free accounts).

New Classes. There are currently four: Cleric/Rogue/Wizard/Fighter. Focus on easy ones first like Paladin, Sorcerer. Rangers and Monks take more effort and will come later.

Unity Upgrade. Currently on Unity from 4 years ago. Not being updated means limited options to buy things from the Unity store (Dev assets, not player-purchased stuff). They decided two weeks ago they need to upgrade Unity, big task - Add staff or contract out.

Pathfinder 2.0. Opportunity to tweak the rules in-game. Player disconnect when PFO doesn't really work as Pathfinder RPG. It will not be a faithful implementation of the RPG rules, just similar terminology.

Timeline. Social stuff will come after GenCon. Enchanting in October. The rest is an open schedule. Here's a picture of Thornkeep.

Questions (Heavily, heavily paraphrased):
Q: Do you play?
Lisa: Yes I played this morning.

Q: Something about Settlements
Lisa: Haven't seen Duffy... Settlements: Most active are Bandits. Talk of alliances. People are focused on leveling up buildings. Keeping busy.

Lisa: We've been doing a lot of stuff with a Discord channel for voice chat. Bandits and Commonwealth are in there helping new players.

Q: Something about changes to the way it was
Lisa: Changes to feats that didn't match up well. Line of Sight changed things, and AI is more deadly.

Q: Something about Kingmaker?
Lisa: Coming out in the end of September. Sept 25th. Testing is done, gold master. Ready for Steam.

Q: More Kingmaker
Lisa: Owlcat-games, they made a lot of MMOs. Getting back to CRPGs.

Q: Something about finishing PFO?
Lisa: If we had more people, more money, and people who knew what they were doing, they could finish it like that snaps fingers. It's my pet project, I play every day, I love the game.

Q: What advice for a player from launch that's interested in coming back?
Lisa: Hook up with an active Settlement in your timezone. Read the release blogs to see what's put in and changed. Forums to get rapid answers to specific questions.

Q: Digital version of Starfinder
Lisa: Interest from various companies reaching out to use about Starfinder, but nothing concrete. Interest from any type of game you can imagine. I think you'll see an explosion of games over the next 5-7 years. Takes a lot of time and effort to nail down contracts.

Q: At release, will players starting out be at disadvantage compared to original backers?
Lisa: People playing will be higher skilled and know the game. There are tiers: Tier 1 is beginning tier and you stay there for maybe a month. Tier 2 is where a lot of players will end up. Tier 3 is better than that, but a group of T2s can kill a T3 player if they're competent. Can get to Tier 3 in less than a year, after that's it's how well you play the game. Not a huge advantage, and the world has a lot of space. Grouping helps a lot.

Q: Something about monetization?
Lisa: That decision was made before I got involved. Originally licensed to Goblinworks. The people who started the company came out of Eve online ("Eve with swords"). They never got the funding they needed. Free-to-play... Nothing is really free. We're looking at free trial stuff, but don't think we'll ever go F2P (Never say never). We need more people playing, so we need to reduce the barrier to entry for people coming from F2P games.

Q: Marketing, kingmaker?
Lisa: I have levers to move people in game. If you're going to throw new players in game, need to fix the pricing models, free trial option. How quickly we can do that will determine. Kingmaker people might help advertise PFO if I ask. Humble Bundle.

If anyone else watched or has anything to add (or correction) please feel free.

"We need to look at a pricing model to attract more players, we don't have a lot to offer but we do want microtransactions without being honest enough to go free-to-play, also we have no staff to actually do anything."

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
I assume that finding an "active" community in any given time zone would probably be like joining a cult.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

holy moly this game looks like, unbelievably bad even by mmo standards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQc4X6_2vh8

this is after almost (more than?) four years in development

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pathfinder Online is the game development equivalent of someone trying to eat an entire full-course buffet off of the world's tiniest plate. You have to design to your budget if you're not hauling around a cartoony sack of cash, and they clearly didn't.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Oh, Lisa, honey, no. He's no good for you. He just eats your money and makes you look like a fool. Quit that loser. You're better than he is.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Frog Act posted:

This looks like a game in a movie about an MMO that was released in 2003

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Verbose posted:

lol yeah, that's a great description. like a generic game they had an intern whip up from Maya assets in an afternoon then the editor dubbed in a bunch of atari bleeps while the lead characters kid plays

fake edit: which it kind of is

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What I wonder is whether or not there's someone out there who has been living full time off "developing" this "game" for the past four years, and also I bet that person gets the best daggone weed

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Frog Act posted:

What I wonder is whether or not there's someone out there who has been living full time off "developing" this "game" for the past four years, and also I bet that person gets the best daggone weed

Last I heard they fired everyone except two people who aren't even coders, so they're fumbling around doing fairly superficial work with Unity, which is the kind of work that gives Unity a bad rep.

I can't remember, did they fire everyone before or after they admitted they don't actually know how their item database works so players just please be careful with the deeds to your $5k real dollars in-game building?

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I was missing out on my Pathfinder Online schadenfreude fix and figured there must have been SOMETHING in the past two months warranting a thread update..... but turns out literally nothing has happened with this game since a small patch in early August. drat. I guess it's still wheezing along?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

How is this game not dead yet?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pathfinder Online: It outlived Wildstar™

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It runs on shame.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

Verbose posted:

With that frame rate I'm going to say more like 1993 and it's running on a 486 SX.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Verbose posted:

This is the game they'd be playing in a modern-day remake of Mazes & Monsters but online.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Can't believe mine was the last post ITT. Humiliating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Did the game finally die or is it still on limited palliative care?