Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

Jesus. Doesn't that generation of Civic have a trunk pass-through?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It does if it's not a hybrid! But they stick the hybrid battery pack behind the rear seat, so no passthrough.

I am wrong on the internet. There you go.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I also picked up a bunch of spare fittings and an in-line gate valve that I may put on the workshop line so I can turn its water on/off without touching the house water supply. Because not being able to flush toilets is kind of a pain in the rear end.

The plumber put in a bunch of these so we can isolate off various portions of the plumbing, primarily irrigation segments. It's already been worth it as one of our sprinkler heads popped off a week later. The previous owner fancied himself an irrigation expert despite abundant evidence to the contrary.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

...yep, that'd work, and have much less chance of getting tool oil all over my nice woodworking vise compared to angryrobots' otherwise-good suggestion. Something to keep in mind when I inevitably decide "okay, I built a workshop, that means I can build a house, right?" thread. :pseudo:

Just add water!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Speaking of not wanting to work on unfused lines, there is now an extension cord running from our service lines to a box on the ground that is powering our refrigerator. :stare: I'll take a picture later.

As for working in the panel, it's not that bad. Maybe ask your utility about if you're allowed to pull your meter for a day to do the homeruns?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
So it begins: https://imgur.com/a/PohuN - One day of work by one guy. Not shown are all the faceplates are off in the house, holes are cut for new outlets, and he appears to be vac'ing as he goes which is nice. I left him a shopvac with brand new HEPA filter+bag which he is using, even though he scoffed at me when I showed it to him. Tomorrow it's going to be a crew of people actually pulling wire, trenching, etc. When I went by earlier in the day he had the temp power hooked straight to the service lines. Free juice! (I assume his temp power box has some kind of fuse in it.) Assuming they can get all of the wire pulled tomorrow I don't see a reason this won't be 3 days + 1 day of patching post inspection.

I can not post these here if you want, don't want to hijack your thread. You're mentioning stuff like this so I thought you would be interested.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nah, it's fine by me. It's an interesting contrast with what I'm doing.

Incidentally, scheduled that electrician to come in Thursday. Between now and then, I "have to" (read: want to) buy lights + switch + outlets + boxes so I can start work on rigging up a lighting circuit, and I need to fish the cable and finish the tail end of the conduit. It's only like 4' inside the workshop, but I put my conduit entry right next to a stud, so the fittings are giving me fits trying to make the 90 up to the circuit box. Pretty sure I know what I need to do -- put in an LR box connected to the exterior LB box using a close coupling. I'm getting a little tired of making Home Depot runs though.

Arm sweep the fittings into your basket, keep the receipt? Set a calendar reminder for the return window.

God speed on the remainder of that RMC.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Very nice! How did you find the scrap yard cable? Google scrap yard?

Thinking of you...

I can tell the precise moment the electrician decided it was quittin time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wow, that's some pretty chunky flex conduit there. I guess it's easier to work with than EMT, and if it's all gonna be covered by drywall, then gently caress it, why bother making it look nice?

Your subpanel has a much more rational number of slots for circuit breakers than mine does. I think I would have serious trouble setting up 24 circuits off of this thing.

Everything about this is way overkill for what I will eventually wind up using this for in the end. I figured go big or go home since I had a trench open. 100A input breaker. Perhaps radiant heating, A/C, and a TIG welder in the back room is next on the list.

24 circuits in your workshop sounds pretty high (though based on what my dad describes he did to his workshop... normal.) You know about daisy chaining outlets right? Maybe not for the high draw / always on stuff (dust collector, welders plural, A/C or heater, air compressor/neighbor comradery generator) but you're pretty unlikely to have most of the misc 120V stuff on at the same time.

check out the routing on that smaller flex for the 20A coming out the bottom of the panel

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ha, yes, I'm not that naive. The plan is 1 lighting circuit, 2 normal outlet circuits (one for the left half of the room, one for the right half), and two dedicated high-voltage circuits. The high-voltage stuff is still speculative though, as I don't yet actually have any tools that can use it.

God speed.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/sss?query=220v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Final inspection has come and gone. As far as the city is concerned, this project is finished.

Congrats!

• Locked thread