Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Nice thread. I like the play-by-play.

I wish I lived somewhere that would permit outdoor work this time of year. Guess I'll just go fire up the snowblower again. :sigh: I just want finish siding my garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm hoping to be able to make it in under $20k. I've already blown $13k or so on the slab, permits, and removing an old shed that was in the way. And I think that the slab was overpriced; I just literally couldn't find any contractors in the area willing to do it for less. :shrug:

Current status: making contact with a lumberyard to figure out how much the materials are going to run me.

I wish I knew how likely it was that I'd have to deal with thieves. The site's not visible from the road, and I can lock the gate, but that doesn't necessarily mean people won't try to steal boards/plywood from me.

If it's fenced in, I've heard of construction companies renting guard dogs.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Okay, thanks for the info. I am learning a hell of a lot on this project, I must say!

All of the outlets in the workshop are required to be GFCI; maybe that's the local board's way to ensure electrical safety. I can ask about the breakers though. It'd be a lot cheaper to have GFCI breakers and normal outlets; those GFCI outlets are expensive. I mean, cheaper than having your house burn down, but still pricey.

Actually, it's cheaper to use a GFCI outlet, since you only need one at the beginning of each circuit to GFCI to text the entire circuit.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Well, the plans have a note from the reviewer saying "All receptacles (110) shall be GFCI protected." So, another thing worth clarifying with the city.

Right. Anything downstream of a GFCI outlet is GFCI a protected. You can certainly confirm it with them, but it's extremely common practice for kitchen and "unfinished space" circuits.

• Locked thread