Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Preface: Pavlov's doing just fine today.

Spent all day working on the water line for the workshop. The problem with sweating copper pipe is that you do the entire run, hook it up, turn the water back on, discover there's a leak, turn the water off again, and then have to wait for the water to clear the pipes before you can do anything about it. I had leaks on the first two joints I made, and the very last joint I made. The last one's no big deal, it's right near a hose bib so it drains easy. But the first two are at a low point so the water simply doesn't drain, except very slowly through the leak. So I had to cut them out and replace them...and the replacement leaks too. At that point I gave up; ended up de-soldering the hookup so I could cap it off and turn the house water back on. Maybe I'll be able to get it all working tomorrow.

For added fun, I had to make a run to Home Depot to replace one of the hose bibs I bought, since its threads were busted in a subtle fashion. Then the sparker on my propane torch gave out, which I could kind of work around using a separate lighter, but it's a pain in the rear end. But I had to buy more fittings anyway to fix the leaks, so I had to make another run to Home Depot. I also picked up a bunch of spare fittings and an in-line gate valve that I may put on the workshop line so I can turn its water on/off without touching the house water supply. Because not being able to flush toilets is kind of a pain in the rear end.

On the plus side, none of the joints that are actually underground leak at all, so I'll be clear to fill the trench once I get it inspected tomorrow.

Ew, you bought a gate valve? I've been removing all of them from my house because they're terrible (every one of mine was completely non-functional). I'd suggest ball valves in the future!

I've found that if you're replacing copper that's had water in it, using a shop vac to suck out anything you can from the line usually helps. Open a faucet or something as an air inlet, and use your hand to make a seal between the shopvac and the pipe. Any water left will definitely screw up any solder joints.

There's apparently the trick of stuffing some bread down the pipe to block water, but I've always worried that I'd end up clogging the valves/pipe somehow.

Are you maybe not using enough flux on the joints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread