Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is a good time to consider dust collection, infact if I was you I'd have put it in the concrete. But the attic should work, I assume you'll have a drop ceiling and not open rafters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Y'know, I wondered how they were going to unload the delivery. Turns out they just kind of roll it off the back of the truck and it goes boom.

Really? Seems really unprofessional to just be dumping the stuff you've bought like that with no regard for damaging it (which they then did!). At least when I was receiving loads of timber and the like they came in cars that could safely lift it off and put it down without damaging it.

I covered everything in tarps myself, it was going to be outside for months in my case during rainy autumn and crappy warm winter so it was cover up or be destroyed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A suggestion is that before you put up the walls that you don't lay the wooden parts directly against the concrete. Concrete absorbs moisture and will cause rot over time on the bottom of your wall. On my garage they used green impregnated wood as a base for the walls and underneath that some kind of insulation so not even the impregnated wood should touch the concrete directly.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I know you said no insulation earlier on but I gotta tell you these last few weeks of summer, it's been such a blessing, in the day the workshop is cooler than the outside and makes for a nice reprieve from the heat, in the evening it's warmer and really pleasant to work in, even in shorts. Can really recommend it as a future addition even if you don't do it now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah, can swing from extremes of -30C to +30C here, these last few days have been 25-29C, at those temperatures I like to get some escape, now it's night and it's dropped to 14C,, the shop has staid a cozy 20C or so all day.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

5 wires in my house, 3 phases, neutral and earth.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's a bit hard to calculate with 3-phase and I am not sure how they do it in australia. I have a 3x25A hookup for my household. It's sent as 3-phase and the maximum that can then be taken out of the entire hookup in 3-phase mode is more like 400V @ 75A. I think that is equivalent more or less to a 150-200A single phase hookup.

Any single plug is limited to usually 16A @ 230V for single phase or 16A @ 400 volts for 3-phase. That usually suffices to run even very large professional welding machines with, and basically any heavy duty kitchen machinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I dunno what his particular situation is like but over here I'd say most residential equipment above a certain size tends to be 3-phase. Almost all electric or induction stoves for instance, space heaters and AC's above a certain size. We have a heatpump that heats our house and it's 3ph driven, as is the induction stove top. The oven manages with 1ph though.

I know of, but not sure if it's common anymore, old electrical heating elements that would be setup with 2 of the 3 phases and that basically works like 400V single phase in practice. My DC stick welder is setup like that actually, uses a 3ph plug but doesn't draw from one of the phases.

• Locked thread