Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I thought about vertical separation. Thing is that the water pipe also has to be 12" below grade, so to maintain the required separation, the electrical conduit would have to move even deeper. Normally the electrical would "only" need to be 18" below grade. Might still be worth doing, depending on if it's easier to dig a new trench down to 12" or to deepen an existing trench down to 24". It gets kind of hard on the back to dig something out that's two feet below ground.

The water isn't part of the workshop project, so it doesn't need to be inspected or anything. Doesn't mean I don't want to follow the rules though.

And yeah, I'm planning to use 2" PVC. And I'll be running three-phase from the get-go (3x 6-gauge THHN plus an 8-gauge grounding wire...and a string). Should be plenty of room there.

Hold the phone! You get 3 phase at your house? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Ferremit posted:

My neighbours have 3 phase into their house, I've got it about 6M from my meter box and its just a new trench for a bigger conduit and a new meter and its on.

which I may have to do... between the house, workshop, spa and AC im getting VEEEEEERRRRYYYY close to the 65A meter isolator breaker tripping point. Pretty much if the AC is on, the Spa is heating, the house is occupied and i strike an arc on the MIG welder i'll trip the main breaker...

At what voltage? And also why is it 65 amp service instead of 100?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Ferremit posted:

220v/50hz single phase in Australia, so our we get a lot more bang for buck out of our amps.

Tho the neighbours 3 phase means they get access to either 3x 220v/50hz @ 65A each or they can get a 400v/50hz supply which they need to drive their AC unit.

That must be a pretty beefy AC unit. My experience with 3 phase has only been industrial and it's mostly 480 volt.

• Locked thread