Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
4x4 12-team roto league.
Categories: R/RBI/SB/OPS, IP/K/ERA/WHIP, with 162 start limit.
Current points by category: 2, 5.5, 11, 10, 12, 11, 11, 12
Keepers are involved, with +1, +4, +8, etc value added to each player you decide to keep (no limit), most valuable keepers currently are Rizzo (base $8), Gray ($5), Semien ($6), Pence ($10), Shelby ($5).

Currently sitting with Shelby Miller, Sonny Gray, Jake Arrieta, Madison Bumgarner, Jesse Chavez, and Nick Martinez as my starters and I'm trending high on starts for the season. Looking to capitalize on Shelby Miller's value before he eventually falls back to earth.

Is it worth it for me to give up Semien and Shelby for Joey Bats? Bats vs Semien, I think, gives me a solid upgrade in R, RBI, and OPS (I would just move Yunel Escobar to SS from my Util slot to make it a true batter-for-batter replacement between the two), and the loss of Shelby isn't that bad considering he was a waiver pickup and I'm trending too high on starts as it is. It also doesn't hurt that I think both Semien and Shelby are due to regress and Bats has the potential to be significantly better than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DeepDickPizza posted:

He'll obviously regress some, but I think Shelby Miller could be pretty good for most of the year. Semien, on the other hand, seems a prime candidate to fall off pretty hard at some point. He's got a high BABIP, K's a bunch and a low walk rate. Buying into Joey Bats never seems like a bad idea to me, but I haven't really delved into his stats this year. I guess if I was you I'd try and ring a couple more starts out of Miller before trading him away, if that's what you're set on.

I think this makes a lot of sense, especially considering Miller's next couple of opponents. The guy rescinded the offer but I think pairing Miller + Semien can get me somebody that will help me out with R/RBI in a week or so. Thanks for the thoughts!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ozymandius1024 posted:

It's a 12 team league (standard scoring for the most part, but with loving no hitters thrown, and grand slams as additional cats)

what the gently caress kind of terrible league are you playing in?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

As it turns out, I can't drop him anyway. ESPN has him on their No Drop list. So now I get to waste a roster spot on him. :suicide:

Can anybody explain the actual idea behind the No Drop list? I don't understand why it even exists. Is it just a collusion prevention device?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

Pretty sure this is why none of our leagues have them.
Because we don't need an idiot guard.

It'd be funny if it were determined by our auction prices. Tanner Roark undroppable at $58.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
:catstare:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

fromsinkingsands posted:

Got offered:

Puig
Sandoval
for
Correa
Bryant

I'm thinking I do this but I'm pretty torn.

My immediate thought is "hell no" but give more context.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I just steadfastly am against the notion that Sandoval is in a "buy low" situation. The fact that this is even being considered makes me think there aren't keeper implications but I would still decline.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Piper posted:

I can't take a league seriously when there are that many default team names.

i will never change my team name.

I'm entering a strategy that I have never really done before - platooning hitters based on matchups. It hasn't been terribly difficult so far since Semien is garbage and Pedroia is day-to-day, but I almost always carry 3 extra relief pitchers, so it's been fun so far.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I had Frazier at $1 base cost last season and didn't keep him. :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tinstaach posted:

Achievement Unlocked: I won the Wins category without any starting pitchers on my roster :toot:

Granted it was against somebody who's still starting Wainwright and Ryu, but still.

Boot that person from the league.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

How about this trade:
Give Braun + McCullers
Get Hammel + Granderson

12 Team R,RBI,SB,OPS + IP,ERA,WHIP,K

You're not getting enough back and would be buying high on Granderson. I know you don't need R/RBI but that's selling low on Braun

Jdubs posted:

Thoughts on this trade?

Give: Stras and Cashner

Get: Justin Upton and Pedro Alvarez

Would have taken this in a heartbeat a few weeks ago, but now i'm not so sure with Stras coming back, and Upton kind of falling off recently. For reference, he needs pitching badly, but I'm not too hot either. I also have Lorenzo Cain, JD Martinez, Brett Gardner and Cutch in OF, Souza on the bench.

I would personally wait to see how Stras responds with a couple starts under his belt, but Cashner is basically worthless at this point. Is Alvarez starting?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I feel like I'd rather have Syndergaard than McCullers, why not just trade two hitters for two hitters and pretend you're being gracious by not making him give up his pitcher?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Give: Sonny Gray (base cost $2)
Get: JD Martinez (base cost $13)

R/RBI/OPS/SB, IP/K/ERA/WHIP

I'm inclined to do this as I have solid ground to make up in R/RBI and my OF would definitely benefit. I'm sitting well in my pitching categories and shouldn't lose much as the rest of my rotation is Madbum/Arrieta/Shelby/Jesse Chavez/Mike Montgomery (for now). We have a hard start limit so a five man rotation is best. Thoughts? I'm not sure how JD Martinez will do for the rest of the season since he's mashing right now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DoctaFun posted:

Who wins this trade ? H2H points league where these two guys are literally within 1 point of each so far for the year.

I give:
Joey Votto

I get:
Josh Reddick

Votto is sitting in my UTIL spot(I have Rizzo+Pujols), completely lateral move? Reddick looks like a different hitter now, but he's kind of an injury risk isn't he?

I can't envision a league where you would ever accept this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just dump him, I had the same thing with Panda and even his "bounceback" after I dropped him wouldn't have been enough to justify wasting my roster spot on him. I need to look at K Rates and plate discipline next year and see if that correlates with potential of having a garbage season in our league.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Things just went completely nuts in the league ChiTownEddie and I play in within the last hour:

R/RBI/SB/OPS, IP/ERA/WHIP/K. 162 start limit, 25 man roster (3 bench), 12 team league, increasing-price keepers the more people you keep. Top 5 are contenders, everybody else is basically out of it despite it being early July (top 5 all had 70+ pts within the last week).

Third place team traded Duda and Stanton to the 10th place team for Gattis and Pujols.
Third place team traded Kershaw to the 2nd place team for Joey Bats and McCullers.
First place team traded Semien and Gray to the 7th place team for Dozier and McHugh.
Fifth place team traded Pederson and Hammel to the 7th place team for Donaldson.

ALL WITHIN AN HOUR.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
With the four today it makes 12 on the season in this league. A bunch were before the season started, so we have fun trades in our history such as d'Arnaud for Ottavino, or CDavis/Bats for Arenado/Trout.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A FIFTH TRADE HAS HIT THE BUILDING

4th-place team traded Chris Davis, Brandon Crawford, and Corey Dickerson to the 7th-place team for Todd Frazier and AJ Pollock.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Corey Dickerson's keeper base is $2, it's entirely based around that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Gotta put Sonny Gray on that list, his leap from 2014 to 2015 at his age is obscene

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I could've kept Todd Frazier at $14 this season but instead I paid $13 for Pablo Sandoval.

I am still salty about this despite being in first place.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He's garbage drop him

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Is Joc broken? he hasn't done poo poo in a looooooong time, been stuck at 20 HR for like a month it seems.

.161/.242/.214 in July is a killer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
that league sounds fun as heck actually.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Whatcha think of Odor's keeper potential? I have him at a base cost of $2, which is great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

He'd have to be your +4$ keeper, right?
Tentatively I wouldn't mind keeping him at 6$.

Depends on Dozier at base $10.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

:siren: #HUGWATCH? :siren:

if you needed this spoiler to tell you I was being sarcastic then I feel bad for you

gotta make room for Mat Latos somehow.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kensei posted:

I'm in second, it's a head to head league, but I just got curb stomped by the first place team. He's averaging about 20% more points than anyone else this season, so I'm hesitant to trade Thor for this season when next will be a more level playing field. And, as you say, the other guys I am picking up in this proposed trade are not total no-brainer upgrades for me...

I'd do it if you thought you had a chance to compete this season, but Thor's a great keeper at that price and if you're not going to win then it's not in your best interest to make a short-term move.

Also, hi!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

in a 12 team league a third round pick will be anywhere from 25-36 :psyduck:

After each team has kept five players, removing ostensibly the top 60

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah, I missed that bit. But looking back we don't even know that they do keepers that way.

how...else would they?

In other news, Jesse Chavez sure barfed a fart yesterday

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

the_american_dream posted:

In a weekly league I had Chavez, McCullers, Koehler, and Fiers in :smug:

What was your line? Holy poo poo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

have...have you never seen the billion posts in this thread talking about the value of players based on the round the player is kept in? :psypop:

e: here's a practical example - in one league I am in we keep ten and they are the first ten rounds of the draft, the method you're used to. I also have a team in a goon league using the other (and from reading this thread I assumed most common) method where we keep up to five at their round last year +2, with UDFA being able to be kept in the last round. In the first method, choosing your keepers is easy because it's the same either way, but in the other, it's harder. Using my team as an example, I have the following players that I would deep as "good value" with the cost it would take to keep them that I can pick up to five from

Cole (3), Dozier (16), Machado (7), Sano (19), Buxton (25), Wacha (8), Pollock (9), C. Martinez (25), Schwarber (25), A-Rod (18)

...so it's a lot different in both deciding who to keep and trading away draft picks.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That actually makes more sense and I probably skimmed over those posts (or came into the thread too late). We're auction with escalating keeper prices depending on how many you choose to keep (+$1 for your first keeper, +$4 for your second, +$8 for the third, etc etc) so I'm mainly used to auction keepers in general.

With that example it definitely wouldn't just be the top 60 added on, but it would still push a third round pick to probably somewhere around the 70th best pick, and Syndergaard seems to be way above that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Michael Corleone posted:

Got him a week or so ago for my second RP slot, him and Carlos Martinez man those, no saves for this guy. But, probably the only reason I have been so good this year despite not having any pitching that I paid more than $1 for is because I have been REAL lucky with my FA, those drafted guys, and some trades. Locked and loaded.

I'm in the same boat. My team is very good but it really required Fielder, Rizzo, Blackmon, Arrieta, and others to have the stellar years they're having, and getting lucky on FA with guys like Shelby Miller, Panik, and post-AAA Odor.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
is a .420 babip sustainable?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Near the beginning of the season I second-guessed my decision to keep Arrieta going into this season. Never again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sonny Gray scratched, Jesse Chavez starting against Toronto, bench accordingly

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I made a pre-season trade which gave me Brian McCann and John Lackey for Cashner and Wilson Ramos. I dumped Lackey because I figured he'd be terrible (and he was for April) but McCann now leads my team in RBIs. Never would've expected it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

so who do you have in the top 12 next year? i've got:

1- harper/trout
2- harper/trout
3 - goldschmidt
4- machado
5- donaldson
6- rizzo
7- stanton
8- pollock
9- cabrera
10- arenado
11- tulo
12- votto

and yea, that's a rough ranking of where i'd put them. i've only thought about this for a few minutes so i'm sure there are some massive oversights. but time to start thinking about keepers and all.

take note i only play in OBP leagues. can't imagine AVG leagues would be much different.

also i categorically refuse to take pitchers in the top 25 picks. yea, kershaw and scherzer are up there, but i don't trust any pitcher's health. and you can always find pitching steals later in the draft. always. you won't find any of these guys late in the draft.

Mostly agreed, dunno if I'd put Pollock up there quite yet and Tulo is never draftable for me just based on how he is literally injured every single year and you never know how bad it will be. Blackmon could be added, maybe Lorenzo Cain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If second-half Odor is The New True Odor then there's no way I can avoid keeping him at base cost $2. He will join my base $8 Rizzo and possibly my base $18 Blackmon or base $10 Dozier.

There's also my base $14 Fielder who I should consider dealing.

• Locked thread