Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNe6zJKTcRY

Found this the other day while looking for the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

But can he pass delrio?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Only 70 minutes long no problem.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I guess I'm going to bump this so it doesn't fall into archives and maybe get one or two other goons to notice the thread. Nothing's changed much since I last posted, but I am rank 1.3k with 5,200pp now. Flamingrok has abandoned osu standard and is now set on becoming 2000pp in taiko, and ctb sucks as always yet I still play it for some reason.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Guess I shall bump this, Played on and off for 4 years, just started getting back into it recently, the RSI is already setting in. Hovered around ~30k for a while now, not overly in the mood for grinding. Just playing stuff that is generally far too hard for me to FC.

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/Sakurai

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gawrz posted:

Guess I shall bump this, Played on and off for 4 years, just started getting back into it recently, the RSI is already setting in. Hovered around ~30k for a while now, not overly in the mood for grinding. Just playing stuff that is generally far too hard for me to FC.

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/Sakurai

I was rank 910 now I'm slowly falling back down towards 1000. :rip: Playing for FC was good improvement.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015

AdorableStar posted:

I was rank 910 now I'm slowly falling back down towards 1000. :rip: Playing for FC was good improvement.

Oh yeah, playing for FCs got me miles better at jumping when I did nothing but grind maps like Remote Control for like 2 days straight, (still not FC'd Remote Control though..) Playing for passes is also fun, the only annoying part is I am kind of stuck on basically playing stuff <220 bpm ar9 nomod, occasionally Hidden, I know I don't NEED to add mods, but when I play multi people always put like DT maps on and I just can't play it. So just need to grind out that hurdle -eventually- :effort:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I started playing Dt I think at ~4600pp and now I have 5600. I have spent the last three months playing only 230+ bpm 9.6/10.3.
It actually did make me better at streaming 240/ bursting 270-300/ singletapping 260 bpm like worldwide choppers. I could already DO these things when I was nomod, but definitely not as well.

Right now when I can be bothered to play I just have a few nomod aim maps and fast stream maps. And a few fun near 7* DT ones. I was poo poo though - couldn't hold combo on both everything willfreeze when a week or two ago I got almost x1000. Cry thunder I could 't aim to get my x800 back, hardlygot to x200. Image material I got x800 again but I missed at the shittiest part so I couldn't beat my score.

The Kimi no Shiranai monogatari song happy missed on I beat my combo at 580 but failed even though it's only 248 bpm.

Bleh, I'll see what I can improve after I'm done with Baduk.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Awful excuse time here. Every since I upgraded to win10 I've had a really weird delay on osu, swapping from windowed to fullscreen helped matters but It still doesn't feel right.. My aim however has gotten better going fullscreen so there are always these advantages :v:. I might sit down in the next few days and do a good grinding session, see if I can get ~20k.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

My aim got better after I switched to native and not borderless fullscreen because of the aiming input lag

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah, I was using 1600x900 in windowed mode for the longest time, then swapped up to native. I do miss my ~3000fps though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gawrz posted:

Yeah, I was using 1600x900 in windowed mode for the longest time, then swapped up to native. I do miss my ~3000fps though.

I have to keep my fps capped at 240 or else my computer will start lagging and causing my cursor to pause and stutter occasionally when it gets to 400-500 fps. Higher fps feels weird; the cursor feels all slippery. 1920x1080 fullscreen is the only way to go anyways :getin:

Also full tablet area

Also I didn't beat my top score with this 0 miss play. :negative:

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
I've not played long enough to notice the difference, I make too many SLIGHT alterations in how I play, I sometimes hover my pen, I sometimes change the angle I hold my pen slightly. I change what skin I use CONSTANTLY. So all those factors together I'm just like.. changing res makes this slight alteration? neat.

I could never get the hang of full tablet area.. mine is super weird

It works for me..
I'm kinda going through a phase of osu where I am basically just playing School Idol maps.. I guess it's a side effect of watching the anime, but hey, anime schoolgirls, who can complain :ducksiren:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I would reccomend making your area about 1/3 of your full tablet area seeing as you use wacom. I really, REALLY have a distaste and distrust for the effectiveness of poo poo tiny active areas. I've been the exact opposite. I've AWLAYS used the same skin, always full area, always 1920x1080, always hover, and I must always have my tablet in the same position and angle which is why I needed to mark it on my desk. That's part of the reason why moving into this dorm has kind of caused me to do a bit worse than I normally do.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2015

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
I'm going to play around with full area for a bit, I assume you change your sensitivity in osu settings?
As for skins, I've been kind of swapping between an older verison of WubWoofWolf's skin and a Remake of one of Hakurei Reimu's skins. They are both to my liking.
The rubber feet on my tablet broke so I use a torn piece of mousemat to stop it slipping TOO much, so it's difficult to get any consistency in tablet placement.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I don't change sensitivity in game. I'm 1.0 sens, but my active area is 4.2 x 2.3 inches on the Huion420.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
My active is 152mm x 95mm so 5.98~ x 3.74~ inches. Slightly bigger, I do however have to use about 3x sensitivity for it to be even remotely comfortable, On 1x sens I feel like I'm about to snap my wrist doing a full screen jump.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

What the hell, your active looks tiny in that picture.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
The full tablet's active area is that, sorry. In that image my active is something like. 2inch x 1.5inch or something stupid like that.

Also choke city, population: me.

Gawrz fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 8, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

1. Don't use spoiler tags to hide images

2. Use [timg] instead of [img]

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
I thought it would be less obtrusive in a spoiler tag, obviously not. Oh well, that work. So I thank you!
That map is just not friendly, @5minutes with lots of chokepoints, lots of places to sliderbreak. But darn it's an addictive map.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

There was a map that's around 1064 combo I believe. I would have had the third ever DT fc of it being a 6* 270 bpm ar 10.3 map. Maybe I'm still in the top 5 if you filter the scoreboard by DT plays.

I choked slightly before 1000 with a lovely miss on the last possibly hard part of the map.

I have not since tried.

I think for my crappy acc it would've been only around 250-260 anyways.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/670743?m=0

I still got 220 loving pp for a 930x 95% two miss. Fcing things is hard now and I haven't been motivated. The last song I seriously tried I got around some x900 out of 1200 and took my 290pp down to 260 so I said gently caress this poo poo.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah, third DT play, still very impressive, our lord and savior Tillerino says around 260 yeah, still grinding out my first every 200+pp play, it shall happen SOON.

There are a few maps like that, I had a spurt of like 20bajillion plays of Pika Girl + HD over like a week, always just 1 chokey miss, haven't played that map in ages. It's only like a 100pp play at most.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Very soon you will think that 200 pp plays are worthless and wonder how you ever thought they were good. I feel this way about 250.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Then you see Cookiezi playing 600pp+ maps and being like. "ezpp", I think if I sat down and got more comfortable with HR or DT I would find more fulfillment, right now I jsut scroll through my maps like "Yeah, I could play this, but it's ar8, and that's :effort: whereas I could just put DT on, it becomes playable, boom easy pp.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

You shouldn't play 3 star maps + DT or DT before the 200pp range in general because the maps are so simplistic and give pp on the level of 5* nomods with okay accuracy. You'd be much better off playing 5* nomods until the 200pp level so that 4.00*+ DT becomes a breeze and you actually get some skill.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
The DT plays I've done were low 4* nomod, I just have to find the niche plays that are <220bpm, or learn how to alternate properly so I can play more maps.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Or you could singletap because singletap is the only true way to play. :colbert:

Speed is easy, stamina is hard. That's why worldwide choppers at 260 bpm is harder for me to singletap than a 280 bpm map. Get fast and don't just resign yourself to below 220.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Alternatively play HR and get real skill.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Or Flashlight farm like a boss most skill based mod on the game. :v:
I may just play nomod and be a beast, get all the insane nomod passes.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

FC > Pass

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Lemme just go FC image material real fast :v:
Seriously though, I'm still fairly low ranked, so I have no clue what I wanna do in terms of getting gud, so I'm just gonna play for fun, not play for pp.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gawrz posted:

Lemme just go FC image material real fast :v:
Seriously though, I'm still fairly low ranked, so I have no clue what I wanna do in terms of getting gud, so I'm just gonna play for fun, not play for pp.

You say these things like they're mutually exclusive.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
Well, in my mind playing for pp is grinding the same songs, whereas playing for fun would be playing stuff that may be unranked/qualified or relax mod etc just for funsies.
Like, I every so often get bored and play stuff like Freedom Dive on relax. Among other maps.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I must be the weird one who doesn't play the same map for an hour straight.

Except in very rare circumstances.

There's a reason I have over 40+ maps on an fc list.

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
So, somewhat of an impromptu update, after a couple days playing with full tablet area, my aim seems to have gotten a lot better, I feel faster. No mindshatteringly good plays because of nerves and breaking combo :v: :rip:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
copying and pasting this from the anime chat thread:
I'm wondering if theres some sort of way to edit the osu!mania mode so that the notes are instead the letters im supposed to be hitting on my keyboard because otherwise all the thing bars give me mad vertigo

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015

Luna Was Here posted:

I'm wondering if theres some sort of way to edit the osu!mania mode so that the notes are instead the letters im supposed to be hitting on my keyboard because otherwise all the thing bars give me mad vertigo

Probably using a custom skin you can easily do this. Not much of a mania player.
Look at skin assets and its a fairly simple system to understand.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

You can, but personally I don't think it's very sustainable:

If you're playing 4K, using one of the several arrow note skins would probably be a lot better. If you're playing 7+K, I don't think letters would help your vertigo problem, at least especially not at higher difficulties. I would even go so far as to say it would be a crutch and impede progress in reading patterns. If you want to just play for fun, then it's whatever.

This will be significantly easier to do just modifying a previously working skin, but if you want to set it up:

osu!\Skins\[Your Skin]\skin.ini should have in it something like the following bit:

code:
[Mania]
Keys: 4
//Mania skin config
ColumnStart: 190
HitPosition: 455
SpecialStyle: 0
UpsideDown: 1
JudgementLine: 0
ScorePosition: 265
ComboPosition: 203
LightFramePerSecond: 48
ColumnWidth: 65,65,65,65
//Colours
Colour1: 0,0,0,255
Colour2: 0,0,0,255
Colour3: 0,0,0,255
Colour4: 0,0,0,255
//images
KeyImage0: Arrows\left
KeyImage0D: Arrows\leftD
KeyImage1: Arrows\up
KeyImage1D: Arrows\upD
KeyImage2: Arrows\down
KeyImage2D: Arrows\downD
KeyImage3: Arrows\right
KeyImage3D: Arrows\rightD
NoteImage0: Arrownote\left
NoteImage0H: Arrownote\leftH
NoteImage0L: Arrownote\rightL
NoteImage1: Arrownote\down
NoteImage1H: Arrownote\downH
NoteImage1L: Arrownote\blue
NoteImage2: Arrownote\up
NoteImage2H: Arrownote\upH
NoteImage2L: Arrownote\blue2
NoteImage3: Arrownote\right
NoteImage3H: Arrownote\rightH
NoteImage3L: Arrownote\leftL
For the most part, it's self-explanatory. KeyImage can refer to a sub-directory which you put images for what you want the keys to look like, and what you want them to look like when you hold the key down. In my above picture, these are the arrows. NoteImage refers to your note, and you just increase them in number starting from 0 up to the amount of keys you're using. In this example: NoteImage0 is D by default in 4K. NoteImage0H is the D key when it's the Head of a held note. NoteImage0L is the D key when it's the Long tail of a held note.

From there, you just make the extra sub-directory (in this case, arrows and arrownote) and put the images you want in it. If you want to modify a previously working skin, just find where all the images are located and edit them as appropriate. You can use different file names or whatever, I just didn't change anything when I was making the above example for letter notes.

Also, you have to do this for every single amount of keys that you intend to play with.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I just intend on doing the basic sdf space jkl keys or whichever it is. I'll have to mess with this later, probably over the weekend. Thanks though!

• Locked thread