Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

copying and pasting this from the anime chat thread:
I'm wondering if theres some sort of way to edit the osu!mania mode so that the notes are instead the letters im supposed to be hitting on my keyboard because otherwise all the thing bars give me mad vertigo

You can, but personally I don't think it's very sustainable:

If you're playing 4K, using one of the several arrow note skins would probably be a lot better. If you're playing 7+K, I don't think letters would help your vertigo problem, at least especially not at higher difficulties. I would even go so far as to say it would be a crutch and impede progress in reading patterns. If you want to just play for fun, then it's whatever.

This will be significantly easier to do just modifying a previously working skin, but if you want to set it up:

osu!\Skins\[Your Skin]\skin.ini should have in it something like the following bit:

code:
[Mania]
Keys: 4
//Mania skin config
ColumnStart: 190
HitPosition: 455
SpecialStyle: 0
UpsideDown: 1
JudgementLine: 0
ScorePosition: 265
ComboPosition: 203
LightFramePerSecond: 48
ColumnWidth: 65,65,65,65
//Colours
Colour1: 0,0,0,255
Colour2: 0,0,0,255
Colour3: 0,0,0,255
Colour4: 0,0,0,255
//images
KeyImage0: Arrows\left
KeyImage0D: Arrows\leftD
KeyImage1: Arrows\up
KeyImage1D: Arrows\upD
KeyImage2: Arrows\down
KeyImage2D: Arrows\downD
KeyImage3: Arrows\right
KeyImage3D: Arrows\rightD
NoteImage0: Arrownote\left
NoteImage0H: Arrownote\leftH
NoteImage0L: Arrownote\rightL
NoteImage1: Arrownote\down
NoteImage1H: Arrownote\downH
NoteImage1L: Arrownote\blue
NoteImage2: Arrownote\up
NoteImage2H: Arrownote\upH
NoteImage2L: Arrownote\blue2
NoteImage3: Arrownote\right
NoteImage3H: Arrownote\rightH
NoteImage3L: Arrownote\leftL
For the most part, it's self-explanatory. KeyImage can refer to a sub-directory which you put images for what you want the keys to look like, and what you want them to look like when you hold the key down. In my above picture, these are the arrows. NoteImage refers to your note, and you just increase them in number starting from 0 up to the amount of keys you're using. In this example: NoteImage0 is D by default in 4K. NoteImage0H is the D key when it's the Head of a held note. NoteImage0L is the D key when it's the Long tail of a held note.

From there, you just make the extra sub-directory (in this case, arrows and arrownote) and put the images you want in it. If you want to modify a previously working skin, just find where all the images are located and edit them as appropriate. You can use different file names or whatever, I just didn't change anything when I was making the above example for letter notes.

Also, you have to do this for every single amount of keys that you intend to play with.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
There are techniques during a step-chart to hit two arrows with one foot. It's actually almost necessary for some higher difficulty maps - the technique is somewhat similar to playing taiko no tatsujin full alt, in that it's almost outright necessary for anything fast enough because you'll never have enough stamina semi-alt or single-tapping. Given this, it'd be possible to do 3-key and 4-key jumps, but legs are directly limited in tapping speed, unlike fingers. Referring to 4K as DDR is handy for it being the most recognizable game of similar play - like how you might regard 5K as Guitar Hero.

In reality, StepMania is a more accurate term for keyboard charts, whereas ITG and DDR could be viewed exclusively as pad charts. (It doesn't matter.)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Dilemma: Keep gaining pp and ruin the perfect roundness of 3500pp?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Shapes and colours are your friend, though.

I think it's the most fun mode osu! offers due to the patterns. It just feels good. 7K is probably similar in the manner of patterns but for the life of me I can't find a comfortable keyboard set-up for that mode.

• Locked thread