Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Welcome to the ADTRW Osu! thread. Since I couldn't find an Osu! thread in my few minutes of searching, I've decided to make my own about this game I play too much. The main website for the game can be found and the game downloaded here

What the gently caress IS Osu!?

Taken from the wiki/faq - Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan is a rhythm game for the Nintendo DS. The gameplay consists of only three elements: tapping circles on the touchscreen, dragging a ball across a fixed path and rotating a spinner very fast. All these elements are timed to (covers of) popular Japanese songs. It looks like this on the DS:

You can see the circles on the bottom screen, and on the top screen you have the story. Each stage is basically a self-contained story about a person in trouble. That's where the Ouendan (Cheer squad) comes in. Through the magical power of male cheer-leading, you have to help the people in trouble.

The core gameplay of Osu hasn't really changed all that much since then; circles appear on your screen, you aim for them then press a button to hit them. Simple, right? Well, songs can range from fairly easy to really hard but doable with lots of practice to just downright what the gently caress do I do?

There's three other modes called Taiko, Catch the Beat, and Osu!Mania that no one cares about I don't really play.

So what the gently caress is this doing in ADTRW and not games?

As you may have noticed, a majority of the Osu community are anime fans and the majority of ranked maps are infact anime related - a lot of them even downright being maps of a certain show's theme songs. There's even a lot of skins made that have anime characters strewn throughout them. Because of that, I thought I'd bring this addicting game to ADTRW to see if I can't get some goons to play osu together.

Sweet, so what the gently caress do I use to play this game?

The standard for a lot of new users and still for many other users is to use the keyboard and the mouse. They can be the cheapest, shittiest things in the world and still be fine. Tablets are also widely popular and I highly suggest getting one. If you find you really like Osu but don't want to shell out $60+ for a tablet you may not even like, the Huion420 is a nice, small tablet that's relatively cheap. I got mine for $30. There's also an Osu! tablet that is essentially a reskinned Huion420 for about the same price.

When it comes to keyboards, a lot of people like to argue about which keyboard/switch type is the best, but a majority of the computer seems to agree that a mechanical keyboard is the best choice. If not for just playing Osu! but because they're generally awesome for typing in every other computer-related activity. I can't give exact reccomendations other than the keyboard I already have, but the only thing I can say is to get the really loud Blue switches for all the sweet clacks. :getin:

Okay, I've started playing this game. Is there anything I should be aware of?

:frogsiren: STOP USING THE DEFAULT SKIN IT'S BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD :frogsiren:
The first thing you might have noticed when looking at others' videos is that there is no 300 indicator (Because you're supposed to be accurate and 300's will only clutter up the screen), and that their circles actually do look nice. In addition, if you find the hitsounds annoying, these skins do change that. I only really use one skin, so here's two options I really like:
Rafis skin -
Cookiezi skin -
In my opinion, the hitsounds for Rafis > Cookiezi, but the look of cookiezi is better.
An actual list of a variety (You may have to mess around to find one that works for you), is found here or in the osu forums' skinning section.

In addition, you may want to consider turning the background dim to 100%, video off, and storyboard off. You can do this in either the ingame options or individually for each map at the bottom of your screen. Personally, I like having the dim at 85% and story/video off. Lots of anime themes will have the video playing in the background and some people find it distracting which it can be at times.

Okay, I'm interested, but how do I know I'm getting better?

Everytime you make a play, you gain a certain amount of performance points for your play. These are based on your accuracy, your max combo, and the song's difficulty. There are approxamately 100 top plays that you can have, but each sucessive "worse" play will give you less than it's full value. For example, if you only have a 200 and 100 pp play, your 200 play will be weighted 100% and your 100pp play will be weighted 95% giving you a total of 395pp. For another example, I currently have 2486pp and my top plays go all the way from 80 to 145.

There are various mods like Double time, hard rock, hidden, and FL that both increase the difficulty of the map and give you more pp for a successful run. Hidden removes the approach circles, flash light reduces the area you can see, hard rock flips the map, makes the circles smaller, and the 300/100/miss window small, and double time speeds up the game obviously.

Last word/ small term list

These can be found in the maps info, so here's a list if you get confused.
CS - Circle size, higher means smaller.
AR - Approach rate, the higher the approach rate, the less time the circles appear on the screen. It does NOT mean the song is faster.
OD - Overall Difficulty, the higher it is means the smaller the window to hit any 300,100,50 or even miss is. I'm not entirely sure if it affects hp.
HP - Health point penalty, duh.

If anyone refers to streams, those are a bunch of notes placed close to each other so that you have to alternate between z/x or whatever you use to be able to hit them fast enough. The freedom dive example given in the beginning of the OP is an example of a stream heavy map. Generally, the speed you have to press for each stream is given by the maps' bpm, Freedom Dive being 222.

If anyone doesn't know what maps they should be downloading or can't find any, just message me either on SA, post, or on osu and I'll give you some maps. Just give me a star difficulty that you want. Hopefully a few select goons will be interested and we can play in multiplayer together sometime. Or maybe you already do and are too ashamed to admit you play Cookie Clicker on wheels. And before any goon asks, Yes, you can play this game for years and never have to interact with the community for more than a few times!

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

FlamingRok posted:

At some point, I had made an osu thread, but it was primitive, and lackluster.

One thing I would recommend is touching on the other gamemodes slightly, but other than that, this looks better than my thread.

My profile, if anyone really cares.

I added you. :)

I played about an hour of mania 4K yesterday. It was all right but not really my thing. Taiko makes me go crosseyed.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Sliderbreaks are the most evil thing in Osu; I feel the need to whinge about getting TWO s's in a row and neither being full combo. I think a 98% fc was like 140pp.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ebacho posted:

Some commentary on some random points, hope you don't mind OP:

Oh, not at all.

Harettazetta posted:

Played this for a few hours in Mouse+Keyboard mode. My wrist aches.

I remember the first few days I had my tablet the area underneath my thumb started to have pain after only a few hours. It took longer and longer each day and now I don't feel any pain anymore unless I play for 8 hours or something.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Is anyone up for some goon multis this weekend? I don't mind playing 2 stars if you're new.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

I downloaded this because I have too much free time and like rhythm games, where the gently caress do I start with getting beatmaps? Recommendations?
Will be playing mouse+kb, I kinda expect the mousing to be fairly easy to get the hang of considering how much time I've put into gaming and how much mousing muscle memory I already have.

The first thing I would do is just look up songs. Maybe start with some animes or just random songs in general you think might be mapped.

If you friend https://osu.ppy.sh/u/tillerino and send him !r ingame, his irc bot will send you a message with beatmap reccomendations if you just want something random.

e: I'm going to list some names of songs that have at least 1 star versions

Granat
Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever
Omega Rhythm
Red Goose
Rinne-Rondo
Trust me
The Creator
Plasma Gun
Cruel Angel's Thesis
Yamato Nadeshiko Education
Wo Ge Zai Guang Dian
Ringo Mogire Beam
The Battle for Everyone's Souls
Junes Theme
Reach Out to the Truth
Weed Circulation
Crowds (TV Size)
Time Bomb (feat. Veela & Boyinaband)
He Xie Ni Quan Jia
Xhoria
Saigetsu (Midnight Moon Walker Reimx)
Clash
Night of Knights
Secret base ~Kimi ga kureta Mono~
Midnight Siege
Koigokoro
Hanatan - Airman ga Taosenai (SOUND HOLIC Ver.)

These should be more than enough to get you started and they're all under like 1.7 stars. Some might have 2 star+ versions.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 7, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

I really don't know enough anime music to have any idea what to look for. I watch a bunch of anime but I usually skip the openings and endings after watching them once. This game just looks fun. I'll message that player (osu website pm? or in-game only?) and check out what you listed.
How about the beatmap packs on the osu site?

I don't know about the packs but you're welcome to report them back to me. You have to message the player ingame with !r to get the reccomendations. I know they're based off of your top plays, so I think you should play a few maps before asking Tillerino for maps.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

Will report back. Thanks for the help.

I found my first map so far and recorded my first decent no-miss run with it. This song + map are amazing. Know anything similar?
Its far from perfect but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DrGAcWj-o
This game is loving addicting.

Nice fc; you seem to have the same accuracy problem I have where every single note is hit too early and is a 100. :D There's a reason people say you're here forever and that is because the game can get addicting. I also added you.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/573043&m=0 Is my favourite map of all time - it has a 2 and 3 star version for you. I'm not sure about anyone else, but every single one of its difficulties feels incredibly satisfying for some reason.

If we're sharing videos, then here's something wtf I did today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcaRqkCNog

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I slider broke on Leaf - I [Another]. :negative:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/79498 or gtfo. :colbert: Nice skin, though. Not having the ends of sliders creepes me out.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Can you actually install this on a tablet or smartphone?

People have played it on an android before but I would not know the details.

For apple anything I would hazard a guess no.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's probably worth only ~5pp, but I don't care. I broke 10xish before the end of the song but still managed an S. This is the map that got me into the 4 digit ranks! https://osu.ppy.sh/b/135177?m=0

It was 167pp making it barely my second top play! Now I just need to make sure I can't decay out of 4 digits. :yayclod:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gihon posted:

just a heads up, the cookiezi skin links to malware

:thumbsup:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

By the way that's technically against the rules, but you probably won't get banned for it if you're just a random person and lay low.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gihon posted:

lol I will never be competitive

They also ban random non-competative people too for it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

The only good mode is catch the fruit

Only if you're Exgon. :smugdog:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's probably because of the higher ar on those normal maps.

Some maps like atama no taisou and rainbow dash likes girls would be so much easier if they were ar10 and not 9; same with dragonforce songs being ar8 instead of 9.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Which tablet are you using? What area size is it?

Also all the tips I can give after knowing that are things tgat just work for me when the key is to just play more. It only took me a few hours to get acclimated, but your results may vary.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gihon posted:

Huion H420

after disabling the pen clicks im doing way better and already beating some PRs on easier maps.

top left and bottom right objects can be a little hard to hit because of hand positioning though

The H420 you should probably use full area. My pen grip is most like #10 here

, or look at this picture:

I hover with the pen instead of dragging it; it took awhile to get used to the fact that I shouldn't pick up my pen too far off the tablet or else it won't register. I still occasionally fly too high from time to time, but it takes practice. My tablet is tilted slightly to the left like you would if you write on paper right-handed. Sometimes I have to keep loving with it to get it to feel correct. My resolution is 1920x1080 fullscreen, and I have it mapped to the full area.

You should disable flicks and mouse buttons ingame. Also, uninstall the new drivers if you have them; they're poo poo. See the last post in this thread to get a good driver.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GF4ajgMSwM

This is a loving work of art I need to share.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

But can he pass delrio?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Only 70 minutes long no problem.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I guess I'm going to bump this so it doesn't fall into archives and maybe get one or two other goons to notice the thread. Nothing's changed much since I last posted, but I am rank 1.3k with 5,200pp now. Flamingrok has abandoned osu standard and is now set on becoming 2000pp in taiko, and ctb sucks as always yet I still play it for some reason.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gawrz posted:

Guess I shall bump this, Played on and off for 4 years, just started getting back into it recently, the RSI is already setting in. Hovered around ~30k for a while now, not overly in the mood for grinding. Just playing stuff that is generally far too hard for me to FC.

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/Sakurai

I was rank 910 now I'm slowly falling back down towards 1000. :rip: Playing for FC was good improvement.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I started playing Dt I think at ~4600pp and now I have 5600. I have spent the last three months playing only 230+ bpm 9.6/10.3.
It actually did make me better at streaming 240/ bursting 270-300/ singletapping 260 bpm like worldwide choppers. I could already DO these things when I was nomod, but definitely not as well.

Right now when I can be bothered to play I just have a few nomod aim maps and fast stream maps. And a few fun near 7* DT ones. I was poo poo though - couldn't hold combo on both everything willfreeze when a week or two ago I got almost x1000. Cry thunder I could 't aim to get my x800 back, hardlygot to x200. Image material I got x800 again but I missed at the shittiest part so I couldn't beat my score.

The Kimi no Shiranai monogatari song happy missed on I beat my combo at 580 but failed even though it's only 248 bpm.

Bleh, I'll see what I can improve after I'm done with Baduk.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

My aim got better after I switched to native and not borderless fullscreen because of the aiming input lag

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gawrz posted:

Yeah, I was using 1600x900 in windowed mode for the longest time, then swapped up to native. I do miss my ~3000fps though.

I have to keep my fps capped at 240 or else my computer will start lagging and causing my cursor to pause and stutter occasionally when it gets to 400-500 fps. Higher fps feels weird; the cursor feels all slippery. 1920x1080 fullscreen is the only way to go anyways :getin:

Also full tablet area

Also I didn't beat my top score with this 0 miss play. :negative:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I would reccomend making your area about 1/3 of your full tablet area seeing as you use wacom. I really, REALLY have a distaste and distrust for the effectiveness of poo poo tiny active areas. I've been the exact opposite. I've AWLAYS used the same skin, always full area, always 1920x1080, always hover, and I must always have my tablet in the same position and angle which is why I needed to mark it on my desk. That's part of the reason why moving into this dorm has kind of caused me to do a bit worse than I normally do.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I don't change sensitivity in game. I'm 1.0 sens, but my active area is 4.2 x 2.3 inches on the Huion420.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

What the hell, your active looks tiny in that picture.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

1. Don't use spoiler tags to hide images

2. Use [timg] instead of [img]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

There was a map that's around 1064 combo I believe. I would have had the third ever DT fc of it being a 6* 270 bpm ar 10.3 map. Maybe I'm still in the top 5 if you filter the scoreboard by DT plays.

I choked slightly before 1000 with a lovely miss on the last possibly hard part of the map.

I have not since tried.

I think for my crappy acc it would've been only around 250-260 anyways.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/670743?m=0

I still got 220 loving pp for a 930x 95% two miss. Fcing things is hard now and I haven't been motivated. The last song I seriously tried I got around some x900 out of 1200 and took my 290pp down to 260 so I said gently caress this poo poo.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Very soon you will think that 200 pp plays are worthless and wonder how you ever thought they were good. I feel this way about 250.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

You shouldn't play 3 star maps + DT or DT before the 200pp range in general because the maps are so simplistic and give pp on the level of 5* nomods with okay accuracy. You'd be much better off playing 5* nomods until the 200pp level so that 4.00*+ DT becomes a breeze and you actually get some skill.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Or you could singletap because singletap is the only true way to play. :colbert:

Speed is easy, stamina is hard. That's why worldwide choppers at 260 bpm is harder for me to singletap than a 280 bpm map. Get fast and don't just resign yourself to below 220.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Alternatively play HR and get real skill.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

FC > Pass

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gawrz posted:

Lemme just go FC image material real fast :v:
Seriously though, I'm still fairly low ranked, so I have no clue what I wanna do in terms of getting gud, so I'm just gonna play for fun, not play for pp.

You say these things like they're mutually exclusive.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I must be the weird one who doesn't play the same map for an hour straight.

Except in very rare circumstances.

There's a reason I have over 40+ maps on an fc list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Mania 4K is literally DDR

• Locked thread