Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

To add to how pointless lives are, I've played through these games and have not gotten a Game Over once. I nearly did with Keen 3, but I know that if I build lives up from the start and purposefully collect a load of points, I'll chip through them one by one until I finish the game with about three or so. It doesn't matter from Keen Dreams onward, since I can savescum and therefore never lose an entire life all game.

There's even no point to get a purposeful game over, since there's only unique cutscenes in some of the games.

Getting the extra life jingle is pretty satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Since you can save outside of levels isn't it still impossible to run out of lives if you just reload?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Poil posted:

Since you can save outside of levels isn't it still impossible to run out of lives if you just reload?

Pretty much, but there's no real incentive to in most of the Apogee platformers outside the really early ones (We're talking Monuments of Mars early.) It's one of the reasons Keen is looked on so fondly, for the most part: The levels are challenging, but the games as a whole? Much less so. I can't remember ever getting a game over. In any of them.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Start of Something Swell

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've never understood why the ammo packs in Keen 3 look like the triple shooter killbots from the previous games.

E:

Also, not-so-hidden PENIS spotted at 11:23!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 10, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Back when I first played these games this was my favorite out of the first third. Only because the vorticons had houses and stuff. Of course I never managed to beat it. I reached the last boss but I could never figure it out, and the noise made me dislike the level so I never really spent any time at it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You "Hope" he doesn't get the "moms are tough" reference. You're terrible, Dirty Deeds Done.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Xenoveritas posted:

You "Hope" he doesn't get the "moms are tough" reference. You're terrible, Dirty Deeds Done.

Would you believe me if I said that was unintentional?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Easily, but it's too perfect a coincidence to not mention. :v:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Xenoveritas posted:

Now now, let's not snow on his fireworks festival, besides, it's hard to get lightning to strike twice, so let's just keep it vanille.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

From the tech nerds to the FF nerds, we have all the bases covered.

Part 2: This Video is a Real Dick

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, it's not surprising that Keen dies in one hit. I mean, he's just this little kid fighting against a well-trained well-armed army of spacemen/dogs/somethings.

In the canon ending he died somewhere in the beginning of the first part. It's just that you are filling him with confidence, allowing him to go onwards against all odds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That mission did look mildly annoying.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure that shaming Romero is something that actually works.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, it's not surprising that Keen dies in one hit. I mean, he's just this little kid fighting against a well-trained well-armed army of spacemen/dogs/somethings.

In the canon ending he died somewhere in the beginning of the first part. It's just that you are filling him with confidence, allowing him to go onwards against all odds.

He's a Packer fan, we keep on truckin' no matter how embarrassingly our team does rough it gets.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
You forgot about those 'clam shell' spike things, from the first game when trying to think of the various spikes. What are those things, anyways?

Speaking of unreachable stuff/secrets, I remember this snippet of 'level design tips' for one of the early FPS. It might have been Wolfenstein, could have been Doom. It basically said to be a dick to the player and have secret triggers in inaccessible areas. Outside of the level geometry. With the goal of having players comb the level just trying to find that 'missed' secret.

I also came across someone recreating Keen 1 in 3D, the '2.5d' kind where it's still a sidescrolling thing.

There's also more mods for this series than I thought there would be.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Poil posted:

That mission did look mildly annoying.

Yeeeeeeeeeep.

Seyser Koze posted:

He's a Packer fan, we keep on truckin' no matter how embarrassingly our team does rough it gets.

I don't mind the one hit Keen kill, it works quite well for Keen 1 and 2, but there's a number of levels in Keen 3 that are way too hard or too long and Keen doesn't control brilliantly even at the best of times, so it just doesn't work.

Kgummy posted:

You forgot about those 'clam shell' spike things, from the first game when trying to think of the various spikes. What are those things, anyways?

Pat Pats! Yeah, I don't know what they are either. Apparently it's a plant?

quote:

There's also more mods for this series than I thought there would be.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeep

Even after doing Keen 7-9, I could do another thread of other mods on top of that, there are some good ones, but I think ending it at 9 is best. As much as I love Keen, it's too much for me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: Oh For Fort Sake

Nearly done...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Interestingly I have no memory of those levels. Maybe my brain erased most traces of them. What the hell were they thinking?

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 13, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hall: We have two days!

Romero: poo poo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

Even after doing Keen 7-9, I could do another thread of other mods on top of that, there are some good ones, but I think ending it at 9 is best. As much as I love Keen, it's too much for me.

Keen 7-9 are actually really excellent attempts at both creating new levels -and- furthering the story in a logical manner. They're pretty good mods!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Those later levels. :catstare:

It's like "rear end in a top hat Keen" but the only reason rear end in a top hat Mario works is because of how tight Mario's controls are. Keen's controls are absolutely horrendous and this is basically the worst thing you could possibly do with Keen.

I'd love to see Keen 4-6 redone in VGA with digitized sounds.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Keen's controls are absolutely horrendous and this is basically the worst thing you could possibly do with Keen.

Keen 1-3, anyway.

Aluminum Guru
Mar 27, 2010
Thank you for playing through these games! They were a pretty big part of my childhood, too.

I made my own Commander Keen costume for Halloween when I was in 3rd grade, but unfortunately everyone just thought I was a Green Bay Packer.

What kind of football player carries a ray gun?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 4: The End for Commander Clown

It's finally the end, but the game will not let us go so easily.

You can probably guess as to my opinion of this terrible game, but I do like the setting and how there's usually some cool background details here and there. It's much better than the bland setting of Keen 2. But christ this game is way too difficult. The first few levels have a nice balance, though, they're not too long and not insultingly easy, but the later levels are absolutely terrible and while wouldn't look out of place in Keen 4 onward, do not fit the gameplay of the classic Keens AT ALL.

Add to how shoddily made and glitchy this game is does not help in the slightest. I can see that since 13 levels are completely optional they're allowed to do whatever they want, but why do I get the slight suspicion that they didn't mean for only two levels to be mandatory before the boss and just didn't realize until too late. So yeah, it's no surprise that this is my least favorite Keen game in the entire series and one I was not looking forward to.

But hey, it's all uphill from here! (Seriously, Keen Dreams is my GOTY after the tripe that is Keen 3)

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Man, I remember these games from way back. I was terrible at them...

I noticed that your Youtube videos are rendered at 360p, and I know that the Youtube compression does unpleasant things at that level, including low-bitrate sound. Can I recommend a nearest-neighbor doubling of the video before you send it to Youtube? Getting it up to 720p at least gets rid of a lot of compression artifacts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

On the plus side, great things came out of Keen 1-3. Mainly Keen 4 and Apogee's Secret Agent (which was made on the same engine but cleaned up immensely). So, no matter how bad Keen 3 was, it at least spawned good things.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

HomestarCanter posted:

I noticed that your Youtube videos are rendered at 360p, and I know that the Youtube compression does unpleasant things at that level, including low-bitrate sound. Can I recommend a nearest-neighbor doubling of the video before you send it to Youtube? Getting it up to 720p at least gets rid of a lot of compression artifacts.

...huh. I never actually checked that, but yeah, you're right. It extends to basically all my SA LPs, but at least for some of the earlier ones there's a 720p "HD" option that makes the videos look like not poo poo. I'll make them 720p from now on.

Wait, how do I do that? (I am dumb at thing, shown by how I've been uploading 360p vids for the last year)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 15, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The caves are actually the best map in Keen 3, not the worst.

Other good things to come out of Keen 1-3: the teddies.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Crosspeice posted:

Wait, how do I do that?

You need to either record at a higher resolution, or process your source video before uploading. I'm checking if Handbrake is able to do Nearest-Neighbor, which is the method you want for any pixel-art video.

Edit: Nope, Handbrake is in no way what you want for this... I'm sure someone around here knows how to do it.

Edit Edit: Really, all I know is the name for it and what it does. If you can figure out how to take your original video, do an integer nearest neighbor resize (2x should get you above 720p, 3x if you want to be silly) then send that to youtube. If you get the option to use the 60fps feature, go for it.

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
One method I heard of was to upload the video to youtube and sync everyone beginning to watch it, then just comment over it and combine the audio files + video into another video. I don't know how it's done, mind, but it seemed pretty simple.

On the note of the actual video: My god. The Caves of Oblivion. I sat there for a good fifteen seconds just staring when you cut to the real way to win them. And that level's NECESSARY to complete the game?!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Valgaav posted:

On the note of the actual video: My god. The Caves of Oblivion. I sat there for a good fifteen seconds just staring when you cut to the real way to win them. And that level's NECESSARY to complete the game?!
The first time I played he level I noticed the low platform above the entrance and went above it so I've never seen the inside of it before. I thought you weren't supposed to go around everything but never realized that they wouldn't have put the clouds there if you weren't. :v:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Valgaav posted:

One method I heard of was to upload the video to youtube and sync everyone beginning to watch it, then just comment over it and combine the audio files + video into another video. I don't know how it's done, mind, but it seemed pretty simple.

Yup, when a level's blocking the way like that, its hitbox won't let you move past it until you've done it. There are some minor exceptions, and the in-map cheat lets you noclip through, but playing it vanilla? Yeah, mandatory dick-move level. John Romero has been known to mention the game design was a bit dickish, and that some score items were never actually meant to be collected.

But you can actually decipher Galactic Standard Alphabet from the first game, because it gives you a massive clue with the "THIS IS THE HOLY [POGO] STICK", where only the POGO is in english. From there, it's a matter of what words make sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, why are the two of you watching such a low-quality video when you're doing the commentary? Why not watch the same video you use for the final product?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I export a low quality video and send it over Mediafire for Deeds to download. Then we sync up over Skype and do the video. Since this is a fairly basic game, we would usually lose nothing by this 20mb video, but it had a lot of trouble dealing with the terrible background. The rest of the video (and indeed in every LP we've done), we could see perfectly fine.

I should be able to tinker around with my exports to get higher than 360p as well, I do kinda like tinkering, but a video will be up tomorrow regardless.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
If it's any help, I found these while digging around the Tech Support thread.

http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Youtube_Encoding_Guidelines

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Resize

The joys of knowing the trivia and theory while having absolutely no practical experience...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I believe I've found a way, at least, in the test video I put up, there was a 720p option. I'll also have a bit of time to fix it for my next LP if there's any big problems, but for now, seems to be working fine.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: You've Got to Eat Your Vegetables

Okay, I think it looks not poo poo.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Ah, nice, crisp pixels. Also, that "boo-wop" jumping noise is sweet music after the square waves of the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You lack the pogo stick, but, equally important, you also miss the ability to climb up ledges like you can in Keen 4-6.

And the new graphics really sell the whole exploration aspect of the Keen series, something Mario never tried to pull as well.

• Locked thread