Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You ever been to Bracken Library? It's the main library at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. It's a nice library, but especially late at night (it's open till 3, or at least was when I was there), it gets a bit... off. I'm not sure if it's the time of day, or the lower flow of people, or what, but it seems like especially around one in the morning, in the basement and on the higher floors, the silence settles in and solidifies around you, becomes a tangible thing.

I've always been the sort for long hours in libraries, so I braved the quiet and the isolation on a regular basis. There's a basement and four floors, and usually I'd ensconce myself on the third floor because there'd be at least a bit of traffic, but that night in November I found my way up to the fourth floor. I'd only ever been up there during the day before, but there were books- their titles now long lost to memory- that I wanted, so I trudged up the stairs, quietly enjoying the minor creeps.

The fourth floor was dead, completely empty of any other human beings, and it took me a few minutes to find the books I wanted, after which I plopped myself, my books, and my backpack down on a chair and desk and started reading. Perhaps half an hour passed before I realized I needed to use the restroom, and just my luck- the desk I sat at was right next to the one in the southwest corner. Leaving my books and backpack at the desk- I would only be gone a moment, after all, and nobody else was around to possibly steal them- I walked over to the bathroom door and pushed it open.

Well, no, that's a lie. I gave it the same push I gave to all the bathrooms in Bracken Library, since they're all the same doors, but nothing happened. It didn't give ever so slightly and slam the deadbolt against the doorframe, it just didn't budge. I gave it a good, hard shove, thinking that the door was jammed, and the door swung open slightly- and then slammed shut, feeling for all the world as if someone was pushing on the other side of the door.

While I'm a fairly skeptical sort of person, I've seen the odd bit of weirdness- stuff that I just couldn't find an explanation for, no matter how I tried- and every time I get this awful feeling in my stomach, just at the base of my abdomen. Between the sudden heaviness in my stomach (which was a fun companion to the existing pressure on my bladder) and the "oh god, oh god" feeling as my skin prickled into goosebumps, I started to panic. I was nervous, and weirded out, but it was entirely possible somebody was collapsed against the inside of the door, and though it was a tremendous effort to continue, I gave the door the hardest shove I had in me, determined that if somebody was in trouble, I wasn't about to let my natural nervousness stop them from getting help.

Like I say, I gave my hardest shove, determined to overcome whoever was pushing against the door- but the door slammed open, giving no resistance where a moment ago there had seemingly been somebody holding the door shut, making a loud banging noise as it slammed into the wall. Tamping down a new wave of fear, trying as hard as I could to be brave and help somebody who might need it, I walked around the little corner to find myself in the bathroom proper.

The Bracken men's bathrooms have a row of urinals opposite a row of stalls, or did then, with a couple of sinks and a mirror between them and the door. What most of them don't have is a sourceless shadow on the ground in front of one of the urinals. As I watched, it slipped along the floor down the row of urinals before vanishing under a stall door, and then a high, scratchy voice said:

"mine!"

Whatever composure had been holding me together was completely lost in that moment as the remnants of my nobility and self-control came flying apart. I choked out something like a scream and turned, running in a blind panic for the stairwells, taking the six-foot high flights of stairs in single jumps, scrambling to put as much distance between myself and that bathroom as I possibly could.

It was two days before I could bring myself to return, and that in the company of my friend Angel. She's less naturally skeptical than I am, but even so she looked sidelong at me as I nervously slunk down the aisles. My backpack was still there, along with the books, and I refused to stay more than a moment longer than necessary to gather my things and go.

I found out a couple of weeks later from a friend who had worked as a shelver at Bracken that people sometimes heard a high, scratchy singing while shelving up there at night, and that for the last couple of months they'd had trouble getting anybody to shelve up there at all. I graduated and moved on about six months later, and though I've visited Muncie, and even Ball State, since, I've never returned- nor can I imagine that I ever will return- to that corner of the fourth floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Mine was first-person because it was an account of a thing that happened to me. I guess that's normal usually?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Well, I'd say he qualifies as a "shapeshifter"

The Goatwalker!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Now once again let me state that I am unsure of the truthfulness of this story, and I realize that the way I told it sounds like a 10 year old telling stories on the playground. But I have seen the old church (now abandoned) and this story has been told many times by many of my old friend’s relatives as if it is 100% true. Sorry my writing isn’t very exciting, and sorry that the story isn’t actually paranormal.

That was a good story creepily told, so I'd say it was a good post.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's cool to see that some of the old ghost posters are still around. It's a shame about Onic, looks like he hasn't posted since last may.

Was it greenjeans who had stories about casting out demons in the name of Jesus in people's basements? Back around 2006 or 2007?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Blizzy_Cow posted:

You guys remember atound the time ole Slendy was made a goon also made up "the "rake". Well I was bored as hell on one of my days off and flipped over to Destination America and some show about a group of fellows who hunt cryptids "professionally". They were in like Nevada, New Mexico, or Arizona; some state full of desert. Well they heard reports of a strange creature harming animals, harassing people, etc and that it lived in some cave system that served as a tourist attraction. According to these guys the rake actually lives there and in fact some demon thing from India. Best part is one of them wanted to take a gun in the caves in case it attacked but since it wasn't allowed to it possibly causing a cave in he opted for fisticuffs and a pointy stick. I'll look up the episode and post it shortly if you guys are interested.

The Southwest? Everybody knows the Rake is from New Jersey! :goonsay:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

mikeycp posted:

I just found this iteration of the thread and wanted to make it known that we read The Drain Lady and Rotten Meat on my horror movie podcast this month. We made sure to give clear attribution to the thread, but since we read it from nothotbutspicy.com the authors were listed as unknown.

If those authors want I can give them proper attribution in the next episode we record.

I don't know if it's kosher to advertise my own poo poo in here, so I won't post it unless someone asks for it. I just wanted to clear the air about us sharing those stories. I've read a bunch of previous incarnations of this thread and gotten a lot of entertainment out of them and just wanted to share the joy/chills.

:justpost:

Seriously, we want to know about your podcast.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I work in security, and a lot of it involves being in large empty buildings by yourself at night. Most of the folks I work with have a story or two of weird stuff happening. Sometimes it's just the atmosphere of the buildings, and your imagination gets away from you. Other times, there's odd stuff that can't really be explained. I've heard bangs, slammed doors, pounding on the walls, and the sound of coughing in empty buildings. Was it ghosts? No idea, but I can't explain what it was. I've got very good night vision, so a lot of times I won't bother with my flashlight as I walk around inside many of the properties. However, a few of the sites just seem to have a 'vibe' to them, and I'll turn on every light that I can find. There's a few former employees who refused to go into certain buildings alone after having something weird happen.

Anyway, I wanted to share a quick story that happened to one of my co-workers. He was patrolling one of our properties one night, when he found a door slightly ajar. The door led down a stairwell into a basement boiler room. My buddy went down into the boiler room to check and see if anybody had gotten inside. He said it was very dark, and the lights didn't work, so all he had was his crappy flashlight that we get issued. As he started searching the boiler room, he heard a screaming noise start up that he described as "like a cat slowly getting skinned alive." I probably would have said gently caress it, and bolted, but he kept his head and did a thorough search. He said whenever he got close to where the screams were coming from, they would stop, and start again somewhere else in the darkness. Eventually he gave up and left, making sure to lock the door behind him. We found out later that the building had a bit of a ghoulish history. After Hurricane Hazel blew through Toronto, that building had been used as a temporary morgue.

"A cat slowly getting skinned alive" is what cats loving sounds like (cat dicks have SPINES aaagh) so that's an entirely possible explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mystery Steve posted:

Possible radio interference, I lived a few blocks away from a taxi office and their radios would constantly interfere with my speakers even when they were switched off.

Many years back I lived with some folks who had a toddler that had yanked on the coax cable where it hit the wall, exposing some. TV image quality was fine, but certain channels were always picking up ambulance radios.

• Locked thread