Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
There was this one. But think there may have been another more involved one. Can't quite place it though.

kombatMedik posted:

Alright, Iraq. For those who don't know, I was a Comabt Medic in Iraq in 2005. I did an ask/tell all about it a while back, no link- sorry! Anyways. I saw a lot of death. I held soldier's hands as they died, looked in their eyes, listened to their last words. I watched for anything different, anything new, anything odd about death. There's isn't much, from what I saw. final breath, done. Alive one minute, dead the next.

I knew a flight medic while I was there. Hella nice guy, but he swore up and down that there were ghosts there. I looked at night, tried to see something out of the ordinary- nothing. Not a drat thing. It happened one night, pulling Ammo Guard Duty.

We called it AHA (Ammo Holding Area)- it's pretty much a large area fenced off, in the middle of nowhere on post, that had a crapload of trailers. Duty was from 1800-0600, me and a girl from another company. Now, this duty was very taxing. We'd sit in a shack. In this shack, there was a regular Army radio, a TV, and two chairs. We'd sit in said chairs, watch some movies, hang out, pull a radio check every hour, and if you served with a cute girl, flirt like hell. It was about a 15 minute drive away from the closest building, and close to the perimeter fence.

I was being a nice guy, and the girl wasn't that cute. I told her to catch some z's, I was going outside to chill and smoke some cigarettes, and maybe write some letters home. It was PITCH black outside, save for the light from the shack, and the starlight. I sat there, chilled out, smoked a crapload of cigs, and pondered about what I was missing out at home. Then I saw it.

A dark figure, about half a football field away. I saw it against the starlight. Human shaped. I try to squint. nothing. I can barely see it. I load a magazine into my M-16. load a round in. kept it on safe.

I walk out a little bit, trying to keep silent walking on gravel (I fail) and walk about 15 feet out. it's still there. Its just standing there. i can't see a face, but it seems to me he's facing away from me. I walk out another 10 feet, I realized I have my NVG's on my helmet, so I lower it, and turn the knob. The green flickers on, and my eye adjusts to the light. I look harder.

All I see is an absence of light. Like a man-shaped hole. I walk closer, about 5 more feet. My mind is blank, I feel the hairs on my body stand on end. It's still a good distance- I don't want to get too far away from the shack. I hear a clatter behind me- the girl woke up, and was walking around the shack. I turn back to the shape, and it's gone. I dunno if it was a ghost. I have no idea what it was. I walked out to where it was when the sun begins to rise, nothing. And there was nothing there in the first place- nothing but gravel. Still freaks me out to this day. Sorry if it's not as cool as the others, but that's my tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Louise Paxton is Missing: http://www.youtube.com/user/LouisePaxton#p/a

Man that's an oldie.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm interested if anyone in the thread knows about any similar calls or whatnot. I sort of wish it would happen again cause I would be totally fascinated by it now.

Had something similar happen in Jr. high. Only it was the middle of the afternoon. We didn't have caller ID at the time so I just picked up and heard some garbled words, static, then a couple of old lady type voices talking. Couldn't make out a word of it. They then yelled something I couldn't understand and started laughing/giggling. Also sounded like they talking through something or maybe in another room away from the phone. I did try *69 but no one picked up then got that "the number you are trying to reach doesn't work anymore" tone after a couple rings. It was wierd so I reported it to my parents. After checking the phone bill (or maybe the phone company, don't recall) we got the number and found it belonged to two older sisters in the neighborhood who were a little "off." (Actually, thinking about it someone else on my street had a similar thing happen and that's how we thought to check.) Anyway a family friend worked at the pharmacy where they filled thier prescriptions and just said yeah, they're kinda mental but harmless and generally lived in their own little world.

TLDR; Dementia sucks and can also lead to button mashing.

Also this just showed up in recommended videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzxlDLa2PQY :iiam:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

ServoMST3K posted:

Isn't that peculiar they managed to call two people in the same neighborhood? Unless they were going through the local phone book. I guess I'm somewhat relieved Bob Murphy probably isn't going to do terrible things to me.

I had just assumed they were going by familiar street names or something similar. People have certainly done weirder. It never happened again and never heard any more about it.

re bob murphy: Never trust the Irish OP

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
This one? Don't know who it belongs to though.

unknown_goon posted:

I was lying in bed, listening to Dark Side of the Moon and reading a physics book. That's the only album I can listen to and still focus on something else, since I've heard it so many times. I was really struggling through a section of the book that was a bit over my head, so I ended up reading a few pages over and over. I started to lose my concentration, probably due to fatigue, and suddenly I felt like I was just looking at the words rather than reading them.

Something grabbed my attention out of the corner of my eye, but I didn't immediately see anything. I figured I was just looking for a distraction. I could hear the music again too. Tension crept up my spine, sort of a "too much coffee" feeling.

I tried to get back into the book for a bit, but all I could hear was the music, and I kept feeling like something was moving and I just could catch it in time. I had to take the headphones off - I needed to be able to hear my surroundings. I was very uncomfortable.

I usually throw my bath towel over my bedroom door since it never dries in the bathroom. When I go to bed, I also close the door a bit to block out some sounds from traffic and things. Not all the way, just most of the way.

I was in fight or flight mode, with no reason I could figure out. Just lying in bed, holding a book I couldn't even read, headphones buzzing away on my lap. I started looking around my room hoping to find a fly, or a spider or something just doing its business somewhere. That's probably what I saw, I figured.

Then I saw it. Sticking out from under the towel hanging from the door was a hand. Four fingers wrapped around the edge of the door, exposed just enough to be visible, but in a bit of shadow caused by the towel. I obviously wasn't prepared, and froze for a while while I was trying to think of a plan.

How long had this person been in my apartment?

Should I say something, or...do I have something I can use as a weapon? What do they want?

I had an iPod, a book, a pair of glasses and a plastic water bottle. Maybe my lamp could be used as a weapon, but if I grabbed it - if I could even get it unplugged without making a commotion - it would be pitch black.

Then it got a lot worse. I realized I couldn't see any part of a person under the door, through the back where the hinges are. It didn't *really* matter, but it bothered me more. I couldn't size the person attached to the hand up at all. There's only one way out of my apartment and it's through that door, past someone that...has at least one hand. That's all I knew.

I was still frozen. Hadn't dared to make a sound or a movement since I saw it. Could I open the window fast enough and jump out? It's a second story apartment, but I don't think it would kill me. I didn't know what was down there but it didn't seem like a bad idea.

I started to lean very slowly to my left, giving me a slightly better angle behind the door. I got to the point where I could almost see the door frame, and there was still nothing. Not even a shadow from the light passing under the door. But the hand was still there.

I weighed the possibility of someone playing a prank on me. I work from home and was there all day, but maybe...

Still leaning over about as far as I could without really moving, I started to pull the covers off so I could either get up and run out the door or at least back into the other end of the room and grab a candle holder I had in my closet. I hadn't really decided.

Then there was a thud on the floor. My iPod fell off the covers.

A woman's head popped out around the edge of the door, along with another hand. She had black eyes, black hair and looked right at me. She didn't make any noise, but I sure as hell did. I jumped off the bed and grabbed the candle holder, doing my best to keep an eye on the door area. She was still there, just looking at me, head moving a little bit.

I threw the candle holder at the door and hit the thin edge near where the hands were. The glass in the holder shattered, the frame fell to the floor, and nobody was there. I immediately hit the light switch by the door, pushed the door open all the way and flung the towel on the bed. Two seconds later I was outside.

After a minute to collect myself, I turned each light in my apartment on as I made a quick sweep. I grabbed my unloaded 9mm from it's case on my way by. My apartment is very small, there's nowhere to hide, other than the standard "behind the shower curtain" or "under the couch" type of places. I was reasonably satisfied that nobody was in there after at most a minute. There just couldn't be.

I came out of the bathroom, holding my gun up like it was going to do something, and went to have a smoke outside. I was shaking a bit, but felt pretty safe outside. The complex I live in is on a major street, people are always awake somewhere, and it's pretty well lit. I stood out there, against the railing, staring into my apartment.

The front door had a key in it. I have two keys to my apartment, the one on my keychain, which I could see in the little basket I keep just inside the door, and the one my neighbor has. This one was gold, while the only two I've ever seen are silver. I grabbed it, sat inside with all the lights on, and just thought about what happened.

When I went to grab my phone out of my bedroom, I decided to toss the towel into the hamper. It was soaking wet. The whole bed was wet from the towel. I had taken a shower at 7am, and it was about 1am by that point.

I did not sleep at all that night.

The next night I couldn't even try.

Friday night, I was invited to hang out with some friends. As I was leaving, I noticed something was under my doormat. It was a pile of keys, ten to be exact. All of them worked in my door. I don't know when they showed up.

I made a point of getting way too drunk that night to even consider coming home. I passed out on my friend's floor. I was so tired that it still felt good.

Locksmiths apparently charge more to change locks or any other housecall on Saturdays, but I changed my locks. No more keys have shown up.

Still haven't slept in my own bed except for an hour or two when I literally just pass out.

I'm moving next month, but I don't know if I can last that long. What the hell was that in my house? Who was the woman behind the door and what did she want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DerekSmartymans posted:

Any links to the/another thread? I generally post from the Awful app it makes it hard to search.

Hit up the OP of this one. Should have just about everything.

• Locked thread